RB Thomas Rawls

ivotuk

Reaction score
John Clayton talks about him starting at 2:31 in to this podcast: "This is a very powerful rookie...he hits the hold hard and likes to knock people down."

"John Clayton discusses what TE Luke Willson's role will be with the Seahawks now that they've acquired Jimmy Graham. Plus the Professor breaks down the current state of the NFL's rookie quarterbacks."

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... rd%20Facts

hawknation2015

Reaction score
King Dog":3fpibvmo said:
"He was invited to the NFL Scouting combine where he had 15 repetitions on the bench press, a 35.5-inch vertical jump and 116-inch broad jump, however, he disappointed in the 40-yard dash with a time of 4.65 seconds. Rawls did make up for that at CMU's Pro Day when he re-ran the 40-yard dash and was clocked 4.42 seconds."

Pro Day 40 times are so crazy. Looking at his YouTube videos he looks way more like a 4.6 guy than a 4.4 guy.

I think his "true 40" is probably somewhere in between. He talked about not having a professional combine training staff like many of the big names have, so it is possible that he had not worked as much on his get off until after the combine and before his Pro Day. On tape, he looks very explosive through the hole, yet his 10-yard split at the combine was only 1.63 seconds. That doesn't make sense to me watching him on tape, unless he had an abnormally slow get off at the combine. Pro Day 40s are usually fully hand timed, so there is certainly a larger margin of error in those times.

For comparison, Marshawn had the same vertical and 3-cone as Rawls but a 4.43-second 40 at the combine. However, that time was also the result of better combine training.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Emmitt Smith ran a 4.7 in the 40 at 5 feet 9, 216 pounds.

I could care less what he ran in the 40 as an ufa.

He looks like a bulldozer, he likes to block and he can catch the football.

He looks like a football player to me.

I did a lot of stupid $%^* when I was young. Maybe he will figure it out. I have no problem with the Hawks giving him a shot.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
40 times have very little to do w/how a guy plays on the field. I remember this Largent guy, they said he was pretty slow.
Funny how he got open all the time, and ended up in the Hall. Plenty of players are "too slow" or "too small" etc.
You either tear it up on the field or you don't.

Hawks46

Reaction score
hawknation2015":gbv05ijt said:
King Dog":gbv05ijt said:
"He was invited to the NFL Scouting combine where he had 15 repetitions on the bench press, a 35.5-inch vertical jump and 116-inch broad jump, however, he disappointed in the 40-yard dash with a time of 4.65 seconds. Rawls did make up for that at CMU's Pro Day when he re-ran the 40-yard dash and was clocked 4.42 seconds."

Pro Day 40 times are so crazy. Looking at his YouTube videos he looks way more like a 4.6 guy than a 4.4 guy.

I think his "true 40" is probably somewhere in between. He talked about not having a professional combine training staff like many of the big names have, so it is possible that he had not worked as much on his get off until after the combine and before his Pro Day. On tape, he looks very explosive through the hole, yet his 10-yard split at the combine was only 1.63 seconds. That doesn't make sense to me watching him on tape, unless he had an abnormally slow get off at the combine. Pro Day 40s are usually fully hand timed, so there is certainly a larger margin of error in those times.

For comparison, Marshawn had the same vertical and 3-cone as Rawls but a 4.43-second 40 at the combine. However, that time was also the result of better combine training.

I've read somewhere that the accepted "margin" or difference in a hand timed 40 and the electronic timed 40 is .75 seconds. So, add .75 seconds to 4.43 and you get around 4.55. Which is right in between the two times and makes sense.

He looks about a 4.5 on the field. 4.5 is slow enough to get caught plenty from behind and sometimes not make it through the hole cleanly (although I'd say that's the shorter splits and shuttles which are more indicative here), yet it's fast enough to run away from guys if you have the angle.

OP
OP
Seafan

Seafan

Reaction score
Thomas Rawls looked a step faster than 4.5 today on a couple runs. Plus, his 5 yard time may be the best for a Hawk RB ever.

OP
OP
Seafan

Seafan

Reaction score
I remembered there was a conversation regarding his speed. He really impressed me with not only his quickness but what looked like a second gear out there today. Of course his signature finishes are very Beast like and bring a huge smile to my face.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
So some of you are going to get all up on your high moral horses in regards to Rawls. Pathetic just pathetic . Sickening really . Live and let Live I hate the moral police who usually have the worst morals of all.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2tjohtj0 said:
Dude has most of Marshawn's moves already and definitely has a beast within him. Now if he could replace some of the leading shoulders with stiff arms he'd be a shoe-in. :th2thumbs:

I was reading through some old threads from last off-season. Awesome predictive powers on display here!

TwilightError

Reaction score
I dont get this opportunity often enough, so I will take it now:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=112835&start=50#p1684789
TwilightError":1czyag4n said:
I like Turbin even if he is not the power runner I first hoped. I like Michael too, always hoped his bursty home run -threat was gonna be the next big thing for Seahawks. But solely based on this preseason, I think that Rawls is the best backup for Lynch. He has similar qualities as a hard nosed run-through-you -player and I think he is NFL ready now. More plug and play for the same set of offense.

TwilightError":1czyag4n said:
kearly":1czyag4n said:
I'd say really high odds. I just don't see him getting any action in FA and our coaches have a soft spot for him.

That said, it should be crystal clear that Turbin is never going to be our #1 back. When he comes back next year he'll probably be battling Rawls of the #3 RB job. Next year's #2 RB will probably be a high draft pick or a big name vet.

I think Rawls has a legit shot at becoming the #2 RB or even the much anticipated eventual replacement of Lynch as the #1. His arrival to the roster is well timed, Lynch will not be running for four more years, and his bruising style with lots of YAC makes him a good fit for the same exact system. Turbin will never fight for that role because he does not possess any 'goal line back' qualities. Still, Turbo is a good third down back (or a change of pace back) and as such a valuable asset in the roster.

Ha! I was right!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawknation2016":11np7g14 said:
HawKnPeppa":11np7g14 said:
Dude has most of Marshawn's moves already and definitely has a beast within him. Now if he could replace some of the leading shoulders with stiff arms he'd be a shoe-in. :th2thumbs:

I was reading through some old threads from last off-season. Awesome predictive powers on display here!

OMG, something just dawned on me. A purse and a credit card with his name? He's a cross dresser! He must have pleaded to a false charge as a cover up. :stirthepot: Beatrice mode!

kearly

Reaction score
Every once in a blue moon, you'll get a good NFL RB who came directly from a small school. Brian Westbrook was one. Reshad Jennings is another. Both are/were good RBs, but not stars.

Thomas Rawls is a star. He's every bit as much an as exception to the norm as Richard Sherman was. His college tape was great, but you could forgive people for not thinking it would translate.

Oh well, at least I got Mike Davis right. I thought he would suck something fierce.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I wasn't super impressed with Rawls in the preseason but I'm happy to admit I was wrong. Dude is going to be a star.

The Breh

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":zn88yy9a said:
dumbrabbit":zn88yy9a said:
I have no problem with him being a Seahawk.

The only problem I have is, the first big game he has, whenever that may be, will be searching his history and this will pop up, and it will be people's first impression of him, then there will be more Pete Carroll haters because of it.

But as a Seahawks fan, I'm looking forward to seeing what he brings to the table.

+1, but I'm sure Pete is more than used to the critical eyes and ignorance.

Helping people surrounded by that way of life since they were born involves finding them a way out. By actually giving a chance to people who, GASP, may have been exposed to or involved in a crime, he's removed them from a couple of causative factors (bad environment and poverty). Great starting point to put Pete's considerable experience/resources in these matters to work. That's a far cry from Jerruh, Jerruh's offspring and that smirk-faced ginger of a coach in Dallas.
Did Marshawn have a foundation before Seattle?