Random Thoughts™ on the Jaguars game

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
NYCoug":2ep8u406 said:
Sarlacc83":2ep8u406 said:
Tech Worlds":2ep8u406 said:
Russel Wilsons interception was NOT a fluke. You dont throw late back across your body, back across the middle of the field. He knows better than that. Besides that I thought he had a great game!

But lets call it what it was.... an ill advised pass.

I agree with this. Wilson is trying to do too much.

@kearly/Scotte: I fully agree about TJ. He looks composed and confident. He may well be on Jax near year, honestly.

My random thought: Is it OK to feel like we played Jacksonville like USC played an FCS school? I know it's important to get our backups playing time, but the second half defense made me grumpy. It didn't feel like our team at all.

I know what you mean. It was pretty frustrating to watch but I do like it because it still gives the boys something to work on and improve upon heading into a massive game in Houston next week. There should be no complacency or over-confidence after the Jags took it to us late in the game. The backups especially best be on notice!

My really random thought is... when is Kip Earlywine going to make an appearance at Temple Billiards? You mean to tell me I'm trekkin it straight across the country 10 times this season and I don't get a kearly sighting?! BS! Same for you Scotte and the same goes for pehawk. Step your game up boys!

kearly lives around Portland/Vancouver (not sure which area precisely), and I want to say Scotte lives in Arizona, or at least close enough to it to make the trip to the Arizona games. Not positive about that, though.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
kearly":21b27epo said:
Oh, the 49ers lost by 20 at home to Indy. Holy shit.
the_12th_man":21b27epo said:
I know I'm feeling very excited about this season. But the niners loss is huge! Great football day.
gargantual":21b27epo said:
Man, what a day. San Fran starting to fall apart (Mariuchi saying they're in trouble on NFL Gameday!)
If anyone wants to enjoy some really good schadenfreude and laughs, and have some time to kill, go to 49erswebzone and watch the meltdown. Great fun! But seriously, you gotta have some time to kill.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
HawkWow":21jtchy1 said:
Currently watching one not go in our favor. The Steelers sucking big time.
That ALWAYS is in my favor.

HawkWow":21jtchy1 said:
WilsonMVP":21jtchy1 said:
I am very scared about having to play in Chicago. That field in the winter is almost as bad as the Redskins if not worse

Agreed. The winds swirl unpredictably there, too. Steelers closing the gap, down 7. Can't believe I am actually cheering for these prix. But I am. Go Hawks.
I can't do it. Ever. There are plenty of other games this season for Chicago to lose. I enjoyed the result of that game thoroughly.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
BlueTalon":2hzbnpxn said:
HawkWow":2hzbnpxn said:
WilsonMVP":2hzbnpxn said:
I am very scared about having to play in Chicago. That field in the winter is almost as bad as the Redskins if not worse

Agreed. The winds swirl unpredictably there, too. Steelers closing the gap, down 7. Can't believe I am actually cheering for these prix. But I am. Go Hawks.
I can't do it. Ever. There are plenty of other games this season for Chicago to lose. I enjoyed the result of that game thoroughly.
:13: Screw the Stealers.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
BlueTalon":23xolnmr said:
HawkWow":23xolnmr said:
Currently watching one not go in our favor. The Steelers sucking big time.
That ALWAYS is in my favor.

HawkWow":23xolnmr said:
WilsonMVP":23xolnmr said:

pdndqxk

Hawks46

Reaction score
bestfightstory":3vreozs5 said:
It seems to me all DLines are looking good against our oline.

Coincidence?

Nope. I don't like our OL. At all.

Funny thing though: Carolina's DL is looking pretty damned good this year. SF's is always pretty good, I think they're just in a funk about the offense right now. The Jaguars were the 9th rated defense coming in, and they were terrible against the pass, meaning they were pretty highly rated against the run, so it's not like we're seeing garbage DLs out there.

Now to me, Houston will be the litmus test. Seriously, they're "supposed" to have a good defense, but I don't think it's showed so far this year ( I haven't looked up the ratings). If we get a bit of a run game going against them, then we're going to be ok. If we look like crap again, I'm worried about a deep playoff run. It's a proven fact that you don't really need to run the ball to get to the playoffs, whereas you need to run the ball and play good defense to advance in them.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The offensive line is playing in a perfectly standard fashion. Seahawks fans wouldn't know what that looks like after years of Walt and Hutch, but they're playing perfectly standard. Wilson was much better at staying in the pocket and checking off progressions this time.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":z6dn5uqt said:
HawkWow":z6dn5uqt said:
gargantual":z6dn5uqt said:
DavidSeven":z6dn5uqt said:
Gotta find a way to keep Bennett on the field. Don't care how good our depth gets. He needs to be out there SOMEWHERE.
Agree 120%. I'd bet anything John's already working on this.

Man, what a day. San Fran starting to fall apart (Mariuchi saying they're in trouble on NFL Gameday!), and AFC teams all over beating NFC teams. Haven't noticed a game that didn't go in our favor....well all the BIG ones at least.

We still have things to work on, but count on Pete to keep them trending upwards.

Again, what a day!

Currently watching one not go in our favor. The Steelers sucking big time. Chicago ties us and Nawlins with a win. Other than that...perfect weekend of football.

Great write up, Kearly, per usual. Mahalos.

We don't play Chicago this year. We've got the Vikings instead. If we get homefield advantage I think there's a good chance Seattle makes to the Super Bowl. The 12th man is a factor.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2lrq8h9r said:
a bunch of stuff

Regarding the secondary, I thought the backups weren't the only ones who had a rough day. Sherman got beat a couple times, and was fortunate he didn't allow a TD on one play. Sherman is such a great player so consistently that when he looks ordinary it really stands out. Browner was alright but missed some plays I think he normally makes. Thurmond is a starter in my opinion, and got worked. I didn't chart, I was just casually watching the game, but I remember Thomas misplaying a play or two. If I was grading PFF style based on memory, Chancellor's the only guy I'd give a green grade to in our secondary.

In fairness, the secondary and pass rush took the foot off the accelerator in the 2nd half. Lots of soft coverage off the line and less creativity and effort at getting to the QB. I don't know if that was Pete trying new things out in garbage time or just being nice to a friend on the other sideline.

Also, the secondary did perform well as a whole in the first half, the sum was greater than the parts in terms of performance. A big part of that was Jacksonville still looking like Jacksonville, but I think the secondary deserves credit for forcing a couple coverage sacks early in the game.

Regarding Henne, obviously I'd much rather just keep T-Jack, I thought I made that pretty clear in my wording. But if T-Jack continues to play like this, I'd be surprised if he's overlooked by 31 other NFL teams next offseason. I don't think we'd be able to retain him dirt cheap, and there will be minimal money budgeted for backup QB. Tjack is probably playing himself onto a new team in 2014. And when Seattle has to start at square one again for a backup QB, Henne could be an option if he's available. FYI, PC/JS went pretty hard after Chad Henne when he was a free agent last year. He's their kind of QB.

The Jaguars offense was pretty bad in the first half, but Henne clearly found a rhythm in the 2nd half. The Jaguars ended up with about 200 yards of offense in the 2nd half, that's a 400 yard pace. And almost all of it was Henne. He was clearly in a rhythm. His mental quickness, decision making, accuracy, mobility and zip were all very impressive. Not as impressive as T-Jack, but pretty close. For a guy that could be dirt cheap, I'd take Henne any day over the next Brady Quinn.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
NYCoug":6c7hvwhb said:
My really random thought is... when is Kip Earlywine going to make an appearance at Temple Billiards? You mean to tell me I'm trekkin it straight across the country 10 times this season and I don't get a kearly sighting?! BS! Same for you Scotte and the same goes for pehawk. Step your game up boys!

A few problems with that. I don't live in Seattle. I only very rarely attend Seahawks games. I am impoverished. And I dislike social gatherings (as you could probably have guessed). I also don't drink and stay the hell away from bars. Not saying it will never happen, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

If by some chance I move to Seattle later on in life, things might change. But I'd give that maybe a 1% chance of happening.

Sarlacc83":6c7hvwhb said:
kearly lives around Portland/Vancouver (not sure which area precisely), and I want to say Scotte lives in Arizona, or at least close enough to it to make the trip to the Arizona games. Not positive about that, though.

I live in the 'Couv. Scott currently lives somewhere in the midwest, IIRC. Indiana? Iowa? Can't remember.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
The secondary may have had some issues, but I sure didn't see them live. I may if I re-watch the game. Sherman also missed an interception he should have had too. He was pissed! It was in his hands, similar to the one he dropped against the Panthers. The foot was really off the gas in the second half. So much, that it felt like a preseason game. I'd call the complete second half of the game "garbage time," which is what I think led to the Jaguars' finally "finding their rhythm." Like I said somewhere else earlier, this felt like a let-down trap game, but with the caveat that we were just so much better than the other team that it didn't matter.

Sacks and turnovers were the glaring issues we had in the first half, and even those were manageable ones. Our defense also clamped down several times in the red zone. At least one of the turnovers came there, and maybe another. I don't remember. They are tough when the opponent is in the red zone. The only time they didn't is when the Jaguars were gifted the ball on the five yard line or so because of a turnover. Would have liked to see them held to a field goal, but even the best defenses can't prevent them all.

I think we're probably on the same page with Henne, also I might not be as sold on him as you.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Sherman missed a couple plays. He seemed to be off balance a lot where he usually excels at. That play in the end zone was fortunate Shorts dropped it. Any other day, that was a Sherman INT

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":2cqxdlab said:
NYCoug":2cqxdlab said:

A few problems with that. I don't live in Seattle. I only very rarely attend Seahawks games. I am impoverished. And I dislike social gatherings (as you could probably have guessed). I also don't drink and stay the hell away from bars. Not saying it will never happen, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

If by some chance I move to Seattle later on in life, things might change. But I'd give that maybe a 1% chance of happening.

Sarlacc83":2cqxdlab said:

I live in the 'Couv. Scott currently lives somewhere in the midwest, IIRC. Indiana? Iowa? Can't remember.
Iowa.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Scottemojo":25nawk06 said:
kearly":25nawk06 said:
Iowa.

So you were a regular at Iowa Barnstormers games when Kurt Warner was lighting it up for them all those years in the mid-90s?