Random Thoughts™ on the Jaguars game

Scottemojo

Reaction score
First thing I thought after watching TJ drop back a few times, we could win the SB with this guy too. He looks EASY back there.

I'm still not in love with the run game when we have a FB in the game.

Rice high pointed that ball. A special catch.

I wonder if Golden is going to get a FedEx from the league.

WTF Russell? I think he knew he was headed for the bench after that series, and so he tried to force things. That 2nd TD to Miller, what a sick twist out of trouble that was.

This game went to plan. Depth players got time. That mattered as much as anything else.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
The one guy nobody is mentioning in all this OL talk is Unger. Iirc the first play of the game was another near catastrophe. Is he injured? Or maybe he's just flying under the radar?

A

Anonymous

taz291819":me31ifxi said:
WTF are with these double-posts lately?

If you notice a double post, just delete it. The button is to the left of the edit button.

birdman5

Reaction score
That drive to end the half was great. Shows what Wilson can do when asked to.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
birdman5":tanxwu4m said:
That drive to end the half was great. Shows what Wilson can do when asked to.

I attributed it more to our team's familiarity with Gus Bradley coached defenses with under 2 minutes to play. :th2thumbs:

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Two more random thoughts:

#1: Derrick Coleman is an eyesore. They should have cut his ass to bring back Robinson a week ago. That said, it did appear that Coleman had some marginal improvement this week as a blocker. He went from clearly the worst fullback in the league to debatably the worst. Also, Seattle has stopped targeting Coleman in the passing game the last two weeks. Coleman is an outstanding receiver by fullback standards. If he's going to be on the field, they need to make it a point to get him the football to help make up for his negative value as a lead blocker. At the very least, I hope that Seattle brings in a couple of guys to seriously compete with Coleman next Summer.

#2: Speaking of eyesores, John Lotulelei looked pretty bad every time I watched him. He may be a specimen, but he just does not look like a football player out there.

vin.couve12":3fyf1gb6 said:
Anybody notice that Babin lined up in the neutral zone for his sack. Once Wilson got up fine I actually kind of laughed.

Yeah I saw that. I was calling for a penalty on that play.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":ti960bvz said:
WTF Russell? I think he knew he was headed for the bench after that series, and so he tried to force things. That 2nd TD to Miller, what a sick twist out of trouble that was.

I knew I was forgetting to mention something. That play was sick. Had it happened in a close or meaningful game, it would have been on Sportscenter's top plays for sure.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
kearly":2y032vk1 said:
Russell Wilson looked like last year's Russell Wilson. Just so we'd know he's truly back, he made sure to throw a patented Russell Wilson interception™. That pass wasn't very good, but still, Wilson must dominate the league in terms of his ratio for interceptions that first touched a WR's hands compared to all other interceptions.

Concur. He looked really, really good. And yea, the interception was a fluke that should have been caught.

Was this the best single-game performance by a Seahawks WR/TE group in team history? I'd nominate it. Sidney Rice made several tough, outstretched catches, including two for TDs. Golden Tate had a few close sideline catches but showed great awareness with his feet. Tate continues to be dynamite after the catch and on punt returns. Baldwin had a ridiculous catch for a deep TD. All three of Seattle's TEs looked terrific catching the football.

They looked good. There were a couple of catches I thought might have been caught, but overall they were stellar with both quarterbacks. I honestly didn't see a drop-off, which is a very good sign.

Tarvaris Jackson looked stellar. I don't think we're keeping him on a minimum salary next offseason. I honestly believe we could win a Super Bowl with T-Jack the way he's played so far in 2013. And not to put the cart way in front of the horse, but if by chance Seattle is 14-0 heading into the final weeks, they have Arizona and St. Louis at home those last two games. Seattle could potentially finish the deal on a perfect season with Wilson resting on the bench. Of course, that scenario is statistically highly unlikely, but it's fun to dream.

Again concur. I honestly didn't realize he was in at quarterback until the TD on his first drive. I did not see a drop-off at all between Wilson and Jackson, and that's a great thing. Jackson marched them down the field just like Wilson did, and stuffed it in the end zone. He's in my opinion the best backup quarterback in the league, and it ain't even close. Next year will be an interesting year for quarterbacks to say the least.[/quote]

Christine Michael ran very well when he wasn't being met deep in the backfield.

I dunno if it's just me or not, but I swear Michael appears to get about five yards more than what he actually gets. Maybe it was the angle of view, maybe it was just a lack of paying attention, but I swear every run he made, I was like, "Wow, nice twelve yard run," only to hear the announcer a second later saying "Christine Michael with a seven yard gain on the play." Weird. He still did pretty damn good late in the game. I don't know if Jacksonville was playing any second stringers by that point, but he did as well as Beast Mode, statistically.

Seattle's secondary was awesome as usual in the first half, but was actually pretty terrible in the second half. Sherman is lucky he didn't give up a TD and had a few other minor gaffes. Thurmond had a few plays he'll want to forget. Maxwell got picked on. Browner wasn't terrible but played below his usual level. Lane gave up at least one play that I remember. There were some ugly blown coverages too. Credit to Kam Chancellor for the interception and return, but it was mostly a day to forget for the secondary.

Disagree on this one big time. The "terrible" in the second half wasn't as bad as you make it out to be, and I spent most of the second half marveling with fellow fans how we had almost zero starters playing. Chancellor's interception was a funny one. A fellow fan had just remarked that we'd pulled all the starters on defense but Chancellor. A play later he gets the big pick. I sez, "Hey, we kept one starter in and look what happened." The second half was us playing really, really relaxed, and throwing a bunch of backups at them. And there was almost zero crowd noise on defense by then.

It sucks that Seattle gave up 17 points in a game where holding them under 7 was the expectation. But, given the way Seattle leans on it's secondary it does not surprise me, because the secondary looked very ordinary in this game.

That 17 points was given up almost exclusively by our backups. We're fine. We'd have given up zero if we really had given a damn.

Chad Henne held the ball too long at times in the first half, but looked really sharp in the second half. He has a good arm, threw accurate passes in tough conditions, and showed good mobility. If he's available next offseason for peanuts and T-jack isn't, I wouldn't mind one bit having Henne as our backup.

No thanks. Sure, he was up against the best defense in the league, but he looked awful today. Jackson is a far, far better quarterback than Henne.

MJD runs hard / tough for a little guy.

Yea, he earned every centimeter he gained.

For the most part, the officials let both teams play. We usually win those games.

Um, no. The game was decidedly in Jacksonville's favor. Nothing major; nothing mind-bogglingly insane, but it was very, very much tipped in Jacksonville's favor. More non-calls than calls, if I recall correctly, but we fans remarked amongst each other many times during the game, and especially during the first half, that Jacksonville was getting the favorable calls. The refs weren't by any stretch of the imagination a factor in the game, but the edge was clearly Jacksonville's.

Overall, this was an ass-whipping. And although it was an ass-whipping, we clearly held back almost the entire game.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Its crazy how good Doug Baldwin is. He is the best receiver on the team. He is a legitimate no. 1 receiver. The reveiving core in general is mad good. All different guys with different skill sets, all great players. No butterfingers in this team anymore.

I can now see why the Jags drafted their punter (Bryan Anger) five picks before Russell Wilson. They really do have a lot of work for a punter.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
pehawk":18r17whw said:
Its really annoying to hear complaints about the OL's pass protection. Its not their purpose, the identity of this team is physically imposing, run-first. That means, yeah, they're not going to be exceptional at pass protection.

We all saw the reverse with Holmy's line, mostly.

This line will win games and be fine by keeping a defense guessing and playing to its strengths. Or, we can bring back Holmy, have a bunch of back-pedaling types, who don't intimidate anyone. Or maybe tank, to hope we nab 5 top 10 draftpick OL types, who do both well (with probably a 50% hit rate).
Yeah, those wussies who played for Holmy were always on their heels, ESPECIALLY Walter Jones, Steve Hutchinson, and Robbie Tobeck :lol:
Could you even imagine how much of a problem that Russell Wilson would have, playing up behind that bunch, OH, and I wonder how Marshawn would fare with having someone like Mack Strong leading the way.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Jeez, relax both teams were awesome and both were Seahawks. It's a "what if" scenario and that is always dumb. We deal with the present.....or does the "5 Rings" rhetoric actually mean anything to you?

TwilightError

Reaction score
Tate looked really good on his returner duties. A Golden Retriever!

sc85sis

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":4qysecur said:
MLOhawks":4qysecur said:
It felt to me like Pete took his foot off the gas to give JAX some breathing room.
Well, he put in all the backups, so basically, ya.
For a guy who supposedly likes to run it up, at least according to fans of other teams, I sure do remember hearing "why did Pete take his off the gas" a lot in the last 14 years. LOL

A

Anonymous

TwilightError":2wh5bbpz said:

Yes, but for some reason it scares me a little.

Call me crazy, but I'd rather Tate just be a Golden Receiver. Let Lane or C-Mike return punts. :stirthepot:

TwilightError

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":jke2xr7k said:
TwilightError":jke2xr7k said:

Yes, but for some reason it scares me a little.

Call me crazy, but I'd rather Tate just be a Golden Receiver. Let Lane or C-Mike return punts. :stirthepot:

I'd too like to see C-Mike given a shot as a returner. He seems so explosive..

A

Anonymous

kearly":30q04j2g said:
Scottemojo":30q04j2g said:

I knew I was forgetting to mention something. That play was sick. Had it happened in a close or meaningful game, it would have been on Sportscenter's top plays for sure.

Speaking of Sportscenter, what's up with no NFL Primetime on Sunday evenings anymore?

They bust in with Boom and Tommy with the "Blitz" mini-segments, but no dedicated highlight program anymore. I miss it.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Russel Wilsons interception was NOT a fluke. You dont throw late back across your body, back across the middle of the field. He knows better than that. Besides that I thought he had a great game!

But lets call it what it was.... an ill advised pass.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":e41wl7f6 said:
Russel Wilsons interception was NOT a fluke. You dont throw late back across your body, back across the middle of the field. He knows better than that. Besides that I thought he had a great game!

I agree with this. Wilson is trying to do too much.

@kearly/Scotte: I fully agree about TJ. He looks composed and confident. He may well be on Jax near year, honestly.

My random thought: Is it OK to feel like we played Jacksonville like USC played an FCS school? I know it's important to get our backups playing time, but the second half defense made me grumpy. It didn't feel like our team at all.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3sn29hd1 said:
Tech Worlds":3sn29hd1 said:

I agree with this. Wilson is trying to do too much.

@kearly/Scotte: I fully agree about TJ. He looks composed and confident. He may well be on Jax near year, honestly.

My random thought: Is it OK to feel like we played Jacksonville like USC played an FCS school? I know it's important to get our backups playing time, but the second half defense made me grumpy. It didn't feel like our team at all.

I know what you mean. It was pretty frustrating to watch but I do like it because it still gives the boys something to work on and improve upon heading into a massive game in Houston next week. There should be no complacency or over-confidence after the Jags took it to us late in the game. The backups especially best be on notice!

My really random thought is... when is Kip Earlywine going to make an appearance at Temple Billiards? You mean to tell me I'm trekkin it straight across the country 10 times this season and I don't get a kearly sighting?! BS! Same for you Scotte and the same goes for pehawk. Step your game up boys!