Random Thoughts™ on the Jaguars game

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
HawkWow":rcc3y11k said:
gargantual":rcc3y11k said:
DavidSeven":rcc3y11k said:
Gotta find a way to keep Bennett on the field. Don't care how good our depth gets. He needs to be out there SOMEWHERE.
Agree 120%. I'd bet anything John's already working on this.

Man, what a day. San Fran starting to fall apart (Mariuchi saying they're in trouble on NFL Gameday!), and AFC teams all over beating NFC teams. Haven't noticed a game that didn't go in our favor....well all the BIG ones at least.

We still have things to work on, but count on Pete to keep them trending upwards.

Again, what a day!

Currently watching one not go in our favor. The Steelers sucking big time. Chicago ties us and Nawlins with a win. Other than that...perfect weekend of football.

Great write up, Kearly, per usual. Mahalos.
I am very scared about having to play in Chicago. That field in the winter is almost as bad as the Redskins if not worse

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
pehawk":1665yqf8 said:
..... 3rd and 1.5, and they go no backs and 4 wides. That's BS.......
Said the same thing on the gameday forum. Peeved me no end cuz it's just not smart formation/play calling. If you want to pass on that down at least show some threat of run. Preferably though, that's what Beast gets paid for.

Sorry no more DVR reviews Kearly though I get it. Thanks for the Random Thoughts.

taz291819

Reaction score
I'll note one thing.

I've never been a real T-Jack fan, other than how tough he was when he was our starter.

But, he seems very, very relaxed playing QB now. I'm really glad he's our back-up. I don't know if it's the mentality of being a back-up and not worrying about being the starter or what, but T-Jack looked good. Kudos to him.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
taz291819":1jskx84b said:
I'll note one thing.

I've never been a real T-Jack fan, other than how tough he was when he was our starter.

But, he seems very, very relaxed playing QB now. I'm really glad he's our back-up. I don't know if it's the mentality of being a back-up and not worrying about being the starter or what, but T-Jack looked good. Kudos to him.
His deep ball throws are flat out awesome.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":3k9dj2az said:
I am very scared about having to play in Chicago. That field in the winter is almost as bad as the Redskins if not worse

It's good practice for New York / New Jersey in February...

pehawk

Reaction score
Its really annoying to hear complaints about the OL's pass protection. Its not their purpose, the identity of this team is physically imposing, run-first. That means, yeah, they're not going to be exceptional at pass protection.

We all saw the reverse with Holmy's line, mostly.

This line will win games and be fine by keeping a defense guessing and playing to its strengths. Or, we can bring back Holmy, have a bunch of back-pedaling types, who don't intimidate anyone. Or maybe tank, to hope we nab 5 top 10 draftpick OL types, who do both well (with probably a 50% hit rate).

Jville

Reaction score
Penalties (Number-Yards) 4 - 24

:th2thumbs: I like that.
[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013092212/2013/REG3/jaguars@seahawks#menu=highlights&tab=analyze[/urltargetblank]

HawkWow

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":2o5sti4f said:
HawkWow":2o5sti4f said:
gargantual":2o5sti4f said:
DavidSeven":2o5sti4f said:
Gotta find a way to keep Bennett on the field. Don't care how good our depth gets. He needs to be out there SOMEWHERE.
Agree 120%. I'd bet anything John's already working on this.

Man, what a day. San Fran starting to fall apart (Mariuchi saying they're in trouble on NFL Gameday!), and AFC teams all over beating NFC teams. Haven't noticed a game that didn't go in our favor....well all the BIG ones at least.

We still have things to work on, but count on Pete to keep them trending upwards.

Again, what a day!

Currently watching one not go in our favor. The Steelers sucking big time. Chicago ties us and Nawlins with a win. Other than that...perfect weekend of football.

Great write up, Kearly, per usual. Mahalos.

Agreed. The winds swirl unpredictably there, too. Steelers closing the gap, down 7. Can't believe I am actually cheering for these prix. But I am. Go Hawks.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
GeekHawk":1qtxyvva said:
WilsonMVP":1qtxyvva said:

It's good practice for New York / New Jersey in February...

True but I still want no part of it.

pehawk

Reaction score
While were complaining about the offensive line, I want to bring up that because our DB's cover so well, they get less INT chances. I wish they'd stop doing their purpose so well, jam and man coverage, so they could possibly get more INT's.

Yes, that's what this sounds like.

bellingerga

Reaction score
bestfightstory":vgy40ptd said:
It seems to me all DLines are looking good against our oline.

Coincidence?

I was thinking the same thing, and it has me a bit worried.

Am I excited about how this season is turning out though and where it's headed? Hell yes.

I think the problems with our O-line are going to be worked out before mid season and this team is going to be damn near unstoppable.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
MLOhawks":2xjj54xr said:
It felt to me like Pete took his foot off the gas to give JAX some breathing room.
Well, he put in all the backups, so basically, ya.

hawk45

Reaction score
We ran the ball pretty well against SF (I thought, although starting to have doubts about their front 7 now), but the point being made is that first contact is very often occurring behind the LOS. Today this was the case a lot of the time it seems like.

I *guess* I'm okay with RW having to run for his life a lot if the run blocking is just sick all of the time, but I get a little irritated, yeah, with our QB being in danger AND our running back getting tackled behind the LOS. So sorry, I'm going to whine about the OL a bit if I like.

It's just that a lot of times it seems that Lynch's sheer will to break tackles is doing quite a lot of the work, as opposed to having a whole ton of daylight. I think the read option and Lynch himself contribute to us being able to run it all over the place, and heaven help us if one of those pillars falters. This is why as much as a guy like Michael excites me, I'm scared of what'll happen post-Lynch.

Definitely if this turns out to be a playcalling thing or whatever and we see Lynch get some *easy* yards against non Jacksonville teams I'll breathe easier. But it's okay not to be sold on the run blocking until you see actually...good...run blocking.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Anybody notice that Babin lined up in the neutral zone for his sack. Once Wilson got up fine I actually kind of laughed.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I almost think the fact that our o'line isn't great at pass protection is a positive for Russell Wilson. He's better on the move then he is standing in the pocket. I think his height is an issue for him there. When the line breaks down it gets Russell on the move and creates angles for him and that's when he's at his best. I'd rather have him on the move then standing in a pocket for 5 seconds surveying the D.

I don't want to see him getting blindsided and taking big hits, but i'm fairly comfortable with what I've seen so far.

If you want to have a straight 3 step, 5 step drop and release type offense, I think you're out of luck. I don't think we'll ever see that from RW.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
We were complaining about our offensive line early last year too. It isn't going to be exceptional without Okung in there. It will get better though. Just a matter of time.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Kip, as always, thanks so much for your thoughtful analysis. I'm sorry to hear you won't be doing DVD reviews any longer, but don't blame you at all.

That said, I can't understand how our OL could have a good game while they we terribly ineffective in short situations, and were frequently blown up at tackle (both sides, but particularly Breno) in passing situations. I get there are all sorts of nuances, but that can't really account for all the penetration that the Jags got on practically every other play.

I saw our stats, and they're good, but our consistency is poop. It was a relief to see both Bowie and Bailey get reps, and I hope they play as well as you think they can sooner rather than later. Breno and Paul have value, especially Paul, but they've peaked.

Latest posts