Random Thoughts™ on the Jaguars game

kearly

Reaction score
Russell Wilson looked like last year's Russell Wilson. Just so we'd know he's truly back, he made sure to throw a patented Russell Wilson interception™. That pass wasn't very good, but still, Wilson must dominate the league in terms of his ratio for interceptions that first touched a WR's hands compared to all other interceptions.

Was this the best single-game performance by a Seahawks WR/TE group in team history? I'd nominate it. Sidney Rice made several tough, outstretched catches, including two for TDs. Golden Tate had a few close sideline catches but showed great awareness with his feet. Tate continues to be dynamite after the catch and on punt returns. Baldwin had a ridiculous catch for a deep TD. All three of Seattle's TEs looked terrific catching the football.

Tarvaris Jackson looked stellar. I don't think we're keeping him on a minimum salary next offseason. I honestly believe we could win a Super Bowl with T-Jack the way he's played so far in 2013. And not to put the cart way in front of the horse, but if by chance Seattle is 14-0 heading into the final weeks, they have Arizona and St. Louis at home those last two games. Seattle could potentially finish the deal on a perfect season with Wilson resting on the bench. Of course, that scenario is statistically highly unlikely, but it's fun to dream.

Bennett was officially credited with 1.5 sacks, giving him 2.5 on the season. He's on pace for a career year, the year after a career year. He's a free agent after this season. It's just three games plus the preseason. I don't care. Seattle needs to start talking extension with Bennett's agent immediately.

Despite having both Clemons and Avril on the field, Bennett still saw quite a few snaps at LEO. That really tells you everything you need to know about how good Bennett is playing right now.

Our whole D-line played well, but Clinton McDonald in particular had a monster game. He was throwing dudes around and racking up sacks + TFLs. I seriously wonder if this is a fluke or if McDonald has turned a corner. McDonald was fairly good in the preseason and played very well against the 49ers in his 1st game back.

Bobby Wagner's volleyball style interception was cool. His TMNT celebration was even cooler.

Christine Michael ran very well when he wasn't being met deep in the backfield.

Seattle's secondary was awesome as usual in the first half, but was actually pretty terrible in the second half. Sherman is lucky he didn't give up a TD and had a few other minor gaffes. Thurmond had a few plays he'll want to forget. Maxwell got picked on. Browner wasn't terrible but played below his usual level. Lane gave up at least one play that I remember. There were some ugly blown coverages too. Credit to Kam Chancellor for the interception and return, but it was mostly a day to forget for the secondary.

Also, for some reason the team kept lining Mike Morgan up at corner. I know Morgan is fast, but it basically worked out about as well as you would expect a LB at CB to.

Something else I noticed, once Seattle got a big lead they did a lot of "off" coverage stuff and got away from press. Pretty much immediately after making this change, Jacksonville's offense ignited. After getting their butts kicked for a couple series, Seattle moved back to press, which helped, but Jacksonville still moved the ball. I think they got some confidence from this game.

It sucks that Seattle gave up 17 points in a game where holding them under 7 was the expectation. But, given the way Seattle leans on it's secondary it does not surprise me, because the secondary looked very ordinary in this game.

I wasn't a big fan of Gus Bradley's tendencies as a DC, and thought his departure was good news for the Seahawks. I thought his speaking skills, though impressive, were overblown. I didn't really see him as a guy who'd make it as an NFL head coach. But that said, he won some respect from me today. Down 31 points, a situation where most teams would quit, his team actually stepped up and played their best football of the season. That's a building block for Jacksonville, and speaks to Bradley's ability to get through to his team.

Chad Henne held the ball too long at times in the first half, but looked really sharp in the second half. He has a good arm, threw accurate passes in tough conditions, and showed good mobility. If he's available next offseason for peanuts and T-jack isn't, I wouldn't mind one bit having Henne as our backup.

MJD runs hard / tough for a little guy.

45 points be damned, Jacksonville's D-line played great. They frequently pressured and sacked Wilson, and racked up quite a few TFL's in the run game. Wilson and T-Jack were in the zone, as were their targets. Jacksonville's D-line gave a good effort, but that defense still got shredded.

Jacksonville's DBs looked good at times, but love to faceguard.

For the most part, the officials let both teams play. We usually win those games.

After Tate's block in the back penalty, you could hear Pete Carroll shout "YOU GOTTA BE SHITTIN' ME!"

Oh, the 49ers lost by 20 at home to Indy. Holy shit.

The Seahawks are 3-0, and have a 2 game lead on the entire division. The 49ers are 1-2. The Packers are 1-2. The Falcons are 1-2. The Rams (lol) are 1-2. The most serious threat for HFA in the NFC is New Orleans, who looks pretty beatable to me on any given week. They also play AT Seattle later this season. Anyone else starting to feel very excited about how this season is going? I know I am.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
On the Wilson interception, I think he just wanted to practice his tackling, in case he accidently through an interception in a later game that mattered.

the_12th_man

Reaction score
I know I'm feeling very excited about this season. But the niners loss is huge! Great football day.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
It seems to me all DLines are looking good against our oline.

Coincidence?

Rocket

Reaction score
I'm excited, I got wood...
Plywood, in the garage.
I'm still excited, tho.

Phenomenal writeup, as usual.

Seafan

Reaction score
If Gus is given the same opportunity I can see them being competitive in the AFC in a couple years. Hopefully they remain patient in their building process.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1bg6ud0b said:

Coincidence?

Carolina and SF are beastly up front. Not sure what the story is with Jacksonville in this game. It could be that our run scheme is exploitable in certain areas and Bradley would obviously be very familiar with it. Everyone knows how to exploit our pass protection, that's not exactly a guarded secret.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Gotta find a way to keep Bennett on the field. Don't care how good our depth gets. He needs to be out there SOMEWHERE.

seabowl

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1shg8gc0 said:

Coincidence?

Unfortunately no coincidence IMO. They have not jelled this year yet and with the loss of Okung this could be the reason for some losses. We cannot sustain a good running attack and Russ is being pressured more than last year. Cable better figure this thing out and fast.

hawk45

Reaction score
seabowl":24iewsmj said:
bestfightstory":24iewsmj said:

Coincidence?

Unfortunately no coincidence IMO. They have not jelled this year yet and with the loss of Okung this could be the reason for some losses. We cannot sustain a good running attack and Russ is being pressured more than last year. Cable better figure this thing out and fast.

Agreed. Line playing like doodoo (at least for long stretches) is the common denominator.

FDNYHAWK

Reaction score
Technically they gave up 17 but we gave them the ball at our own 4 yard line after the interception so the defense really only gave up 10 points

gargantual

Reaction score
DavidSeven":13jc1wk6 said:
Gotta find a way to keep Bennett on the field. Don't care how good our depth gets. He needs to be out there SOMEWHERE.
Agree 120%. I'd bet anything John's already working on this.

Man, what a day. San Fran starting to fall apart (Mariuchi saying they're in trouble on NFL Gameday!), and AFC teams all over beating NFC teams. Haven't noticed a game that didn't go in our favor....well all the BIG ones at least.

We still have things to work on, but count on Pete to keep them trending upwards.

Again, what a day!

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I liked what I saw during most of this game although I still need the oline to step it up big time or we will be in trouble and the second half defensive lapses are a little concerning.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
For the record, I think Seattle's OL played well. The team rushed for over 150 yards with Derrick Coleman at fullback, and Seattle's QBs combined for roughly 340 yards passing and 6 total TDs. My only complaint is that the OL allowed too many splash plays against them. There were more hits than misses. I was only pointing out that Jacksonville had a lot of splash plays up front, but just because one unit excels does not mean their opposing unit sucked. A lot of people fall into that trap and oversimplify things. Matchups are not a zero-sum game. It's possible for both an OL and an opposing DL to play well at the same time.

HawkWow

Reaction score
gargantual":fvw80hxg said:
DavidSeven":fvw80hxg said:
Agree 120%. I'd bet anything John's already working on this.

Man, what a day. San Fran starting to fall apart (Mariuchi saying they're in trouble on NFL Gameday!), and AFC teams all over beating NFC teams. Haven't noticed a game that didn't go in our favor....well all the BIG ones at least.

We still have things to work on, but count on Pete to keep them trending upwards.

Again, what a day!

Currently watching one not go in our favor. The Steelers sucking big time. Chicago ties us and Nawlins with a win. Other than that...perfect weekend of football.

Great write up, Kearly, per usual. Mahalos.

pehawk

Reaction score
The offensive playcalling's been pretty horrible for stretches. 2nd game in a row the offense got cute, and got away from straight power runs with Lynch. 3rd and 1.5, and they go no backs and 4 wides. That's BS.

The Hawks oline is gritty maulers, they flourish and need play-action to tilt things in their favor. Bevell's been abysmil for stretches.

Sorry, the harping on the line is really getting on my nerves. Not many teams can run when they want, at will, in 1st two quarters. This one can. Bevell needs more time to find his rythm.

He will. And, once he does, there will be a million threads debating "howd the OL improve", and that will make me even more annoyed.

Not too mention, Panthers and 49ers lines aint no joke.

I hate all of you, but love kearly.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Kearly, any chance when you do your DVR review you can track exactly how many times a defender was in the backfield and either hitting or redirecting our running backs on running plays? Seemed to me that it was over half the time.

davidonmi

Reaction score
I said this after Carolina. Cable has turned Breno, mcquistan, sweezy into respectable NFL lineman, but he can only do so much. Time to start investing in the O-line

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2v1n447f said:
Kearly, any chance when you do your DVR review you can track exactly how many times a defender was in the backfield and either hitting or redirecting our running backs on running plays? Seemed to me that it was over half the time.

Zero chance. I am done with those.

pehawk

Reaction score
We could bring back Holmgren and have good pass protection types? Thatd work.