Random Musings

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
We have all heard it before a billion times. It's not easy to win in the NFL.

And that is very true. Even though teams can make it look easy at times, it's simply not easy to win. Every player on the field for both teams are professionals, at the very top of their profession, making tons of money for a reason.

Having said that, the Seattle Seahawks are masters at cutting it close this year. Up 24-0 at halftime, it looked to the entire planet that the Seahawks were on their way to a dominant 42-10 type victory. Instead, they allowed Matt Schaub (Matt Freaking Schaub?!?!) to pass for nearly 500 yards and was a successful onside kick away from potentially tying the game with seconds remaining.

Why? Once I was done with my tantrum, I realized it comes down to one thing and that is youth. One of the narratives of this season that should not be lost on any of us is that we are one of the youngest teams in the league. That paradigm has actually favored us through the years. Pete has no problem throwing rookies into the fire through necessity or desire to acquire experience sooner rather than later.

It's a double-edged sword. On one side, you allow these young men to get invaluable experience in real games that matter much sooner than other coaches might allow. However, you also have to deal with the very real fact that their lack of experience can bite you. Yesterday was a tale of two halves. In the first, the Seahawks did what most expected which was to dominate an inferior 1-6 opponent. However, and this is where the youth comes in, they thought a 24-0 lead was enough to win the game.

Obviously, a hard lesson took place. You can never, EVER take your foot off the pedal. Assumptions make an ass out of everyone, every time. If it was the Patriots? We all know this would have been a 42-10 likely outcome. Because the Patriots NEVER take their foot off the pedal, regardless of score. And that is one of the many reasons they are still the team every other team aspires to be.

Yes, yesterday was a win, and wins really are hard to come by. But it felt hollow to me. 6-2 is to be celebrated at the halfway point of the season and you never apologize for victories, ever. Yet, as a fan, you are free to feel however you want, good, bad or indifferent.

I want so bad to be dominant on defense like we used to be. I am now suffering with this odd sensation of wishing we were more like the 49ers. Ugh. I am watching Russell Wilson slightly losing his grip in the MVP race because of the way Pete wants to run the football. I absolutely get it, I really do, and I love watching us punish defenses with a bruising running game but I am selfish and want Russ to win the MVP race because he deserves it, and has been passed over in season's past.

However, you are not going to win MVP with passing under 200 yards. Aaron Rodgers is back in the conversation because he's Aaron freaking Rodgers. Yesterday he had over 300 yards passing and 3 TDs. Pardon my tangent here but I fear once again, a very MVP-type player will lose out on winning the esteemed recognition he deserves because of the offensive style he plays in.

I know, I can hear some of you saying "So what?? All I care about is winning! Not if Russ wins MVP!" And I get that, and I would definitely agree. I would choose winning over MVP titles any day of week. It's just that this dude is so beyond overdue and it would be a huge bummer if he loses out simply because he doesn't get to throw the ball 30+ times a game like others get to.

As for the team, I still really like overall where we are, but boy oh boy make no mistake about it, these ain't your Daddy's LOB Seahawks.

Some very good talent but they have yet to put it all together. And can we get ONE blowout game this year? My BP thanks you in advance.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
How much better does RW's day look if the only things that happen are that DK and Carson don't drop those 2 passes? Just that alone makes him 16-20 and adds another TD as well as around another 50 yds passing.
Therein lies the problem with people focusing on stats being the largest measure of MVP. It's not just "Pete ball" that may contribute to holding his stats down (though admittedly a little less sitting on the ball in the 2nd half would've helped as well).

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, Carson did that turn your head before you catch it thing. Reminds of when an infielder starts to flip the ball for a double play but doesn't actually have it yet. It happens, but that looked like it was gonna' be a nice play.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":xguyiie7 said:
Yeah, Carson did that turn your head before you catch it thing. Reminds of when an infielder starts to flip the ball for a double play but doesn't actually have it yet. It happens, but that looked like it was gonna' be a nice play.
25 or more yards imo

raisethe3

Reaction score
What you said is pretty spot on. Good teams start and finish strong.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Aros, your post is far too logical for the Pete haters. I agree totally

I'd like to see a the team lay a full game pasting on some team sooner rather than later, but of course I'm satisfied with the W's. It'd be nice not to be concerned about the 4th Q and to watch the the team pile on some team. However, as you say winning is hard in the NFL and there are many teams who would wish to emulate the Seahawks record. It is especially difficult to win on the road and the team is a perfect 4-0 this season. That is a hallmark of a good team. It is greatly annoying to know the team has lost two home games that they could have won. There have been thread after thread here grumbling about how the NFL has passed Pete by and he's terrible, a dinosaur, etc. etc., when the team is in the hunt.

Reading some of the threads here you'd think the team actually lost this game against Atlanta and the Seahawks have no personnel, awful coaching, and look barely better than the Dolphins or the Bengals. Reality of 6-2 of course differs greatly, but the reality doesn't fit the negative message.

The team's schedule now changes to all conference games going forward, it won't be easy for them, but I am a believer that they will come out of it with a convincing record at the end of the season. Pete's team historically finish strong.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Just win the damn game and get back on the bus.

Let's see what this team looks like when the chips are down and they need to play for a playoff spot or the division on the line.

In the second half of the Falcons game, the team just turned off all the lights and waited for the clock to hit 00:00. They also played guys that have not been on the field. It was almost like a preseason game. The one time they did put forth a big effort was a 7-minute drive to essentially end the game.

If this game mattered. Flowers would have played, Brown would have played the whole game and the team would have come out with a different plan of attack in the second half.

John63

Reaction score
Aros":2zu00f6i said:
We have all heard it before a billion times. It's not easy to win in the NFL.

And that is very true. Even though teams can make it look easy at times, it's simply not easy to win. Every player on the field for both teams are professionals, at the very top of their profession, making tons of money for a reason.

Having said that, the Seattle Seahawks are masters at cutting it close this year. Up 24-0 at halftime, it looked to the entire planet that the Seahawks were on their way to a dominant 42-10 type victory. Instead, they allowed Matt Schaub (Matt Freaking Schaub?!?!) to pass for nearly 500 yards and was a successful onside kick away from potentially tying the game with seconds remaining.

Why? Once I was done with my tantrum, I realized it comes down to one thing and that is youth. One of the narratives of this season that should not be lost on any of us is that we are one of the youngest teams in the league. That paradigm has actually favored us through the years. Pete has no problem throwing rookies into the fire through necessity or desire to acquire experience sooner rather than later.

It's a double-edged sword. On one side, you allow these young men to get invaluable experience in real games that matter much sooner than other coaches might allow. However, you also have to deal with the very real fact that their lack of experience can bite you. Yesterday was a tale of two halves. In the first, the Seahawks did what most expected which was to dominate an inferior 1-6 opponent. However, and this is where the youth comes in, they thought a 24-0 lead was enough to win the game.

Obviously, a hard lesson took place. You can never, EVER take your foot off the pedal. Assumptions make an ass out of everyone, every time. If it was the Patriots? We all know this would have been a 42-10 likely outcome. Because the Patriots NEVER take their foot off the pedal, regardless of score. And that is one of the many reasons they are still the team every other team aspires to be.

Yes, yesterday was a win, and wins really are hard to come by. But it felt hollow to me. 6-2 is to be celebrated at the halfway point of the season and you never apologize for victories, ever. Yet, as a fan, you are free to feel however you want, good, bad or indifferent.

I want so bad to be dominant on defense like we used to be. I am now suffering with this odd sensation of wishing we were more like the 49ers. Ugh. I am watching Russell Wilson slightly losing his grip in the MVP race because of the way Pete wants to run the football. I absolutely get it, I really do, and I love watching us punish defenses with a bruising running game but I am selfish and want Russ to win the MVP race because he deserves it, and has been passed over in season's past.

However, you are not going to win MVP with passing under 200 yards. Aaron Rodgers is back in the conversation because he's Aaron freaking Rodgers. Yesterday he had over 300 yards passing and 3 TDs. Pardon my tangent here but I fear once again, a very MVP-type player will lose out on winning the esteemed recognition he deserves because of the offensive style he plays in.

I know, I can hear some of you saying "So what?? All I care about is winning! Not if Russ wins MVP!" And I get that, and I would definitely agree. I would choose winning over MVP titles any day of week. It's just that this dude is so beyond overdue and it would be a huge bummer if he loses out simply because he doesn't get to throw the ball 30+ times a game like others get to.

As for the team, I still really like overall where we are, but boy oh boy make no mistake about it, these ain't your Daddy's LOB Seahawks.

Some very good talent but they have yet to put it all together. And can we get ONE blowout game this year? My BP thanks you in advance.

A decent point except your HC has said that is the way he likes to play close. And even when we had experienced people we had very few blowouts, even though we had chances.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3s1acg18 said:
How much better does RW's day look if the only things that happen are that DK and Carson don't drop those 2 passes? Just that alone makes him 16-20 and adds another TD as well as around another 50 yds passing.
Therein lies the problem with people focusing on stats being the largest measure of MVP. It's not just "Pete ball" that may contribute to holding his stats down (though admittedly a little less sitting on the ball in the 2nd half would've helped as well).

Not much different at all. I can’t speak exactly for what would have happened after Carson’s drop, but we still scored a TD (DK’s second) on the drive where DK’s drop occurred.

He went 2 for 2 after that drop for 22 yards. Had DK caught that first pass, it would have been a 22 yard score. In that case, Wilson would have been 13-18 for 182 yards and 2 TDs instead of 14-20 for 182 yards and 2 TDs.

THE TABS

Reaction score
We are the 4th youngest team in the league, behind the Dolphins, Bucs, and Browns. We’re rebuilding on the fly, and STILL WINNING. Most teams go through some severe growing pains while overturning their roster, but not us. It’s pretty remarkable, all things considered, but we’re winning because we have Russ. No other quarterback in football could step onto this team and have the same success that Russ has had while having to deal with poor offensive line play and questionable offensive philosophies.

The Atlanta game confirms what I’ve felt all along about the 2019 Hawks; we are a playoff contender, but we’re not a championship contender. Not yet anyway.

morgulon1

Reaction score
raisethe3":3jmdgkua said:
What you said is pretty spot on. Good teams start and finish strong.

I think this defense has a lot of room to grow. Like Pete Carrol said at his press conference, the special teams are
starting to get it together and theyre playing well. Our defense is so young , a stark contrast of seasons past.

I'm confident they'll get better.

Latest posts