Rams get number 1 pick!

RedAlice

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3e2zzyjr said:
elmgrovegnome":3e2zzyjr said:
McGruff":3e2zzyjr said:
I am stunned by how stupid the Rams consistently are.

Not overpaying for Janoris Jenkins. Letting Long and Laurinitis walk as they enter their decline, getting rid of Cook, draft Aaron Donald, drafting Gurley, tagging Trumaine, drafting EJ Gaines in round 6, Hekker, Tavon.

How does all of that add up to being stupid?

I'll throw in that they beat Seattle twice last season. If the Rams are that stupid then what is Seattle?

Big whoop....beating Seattle got your Rams what? They couldn't beat anyone else and were stuck watching a Seahawk team in the playoffs .

I've seen this Rams Avi before on a diff board, but not around here. Every new Rams poster here seems to go with that exact statement.

We have much more to say than just that. Same as every new or boring Niner fan just likes to bring up # of rings.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The QB of the team that has won 2 of the past 3 SBs have been drafted in the 3rd round or later. A little food for thought.

RedAlice

Reaction score
hawkfan68":229lxf7t said:
The QB of the team that has won 2 of the past 3 SBs have been drafted in the 3rd round or later. A little food for thought.

Hawk fans before and after Wilson are much different on how they talk about QBs. :roll:

bigDhawk

Reaction score
Ramfan128":15r6qvod said:
HawkMeat":15r6qvod said:
Curious what the Rams fans think of this? Excited?

EXTREMELY.

It sacrifices picks in this draft and basically just the 1st next year....with the mega contracts that Jenkins and McCleod got, we will surely have a 3rd round compensatory pick next year.

On top of that, we still have two 4th round picks to play with this year...one being the Titans which is basically a 3rd round pick. So I'm thrilled.

Prefer Wentz right now, but I'd be happy with Goff.

You do realize you are only going .500 at best this season, because Jeff Fischer and because the Rams. Right? Heck, the wheels might completely fall off and you could hand the Titans a top 5 pick in 2017. Neither Wentz nor Goff will be worth the price paid. Should have stayed put at 15 or just move up a couple spots for Lynch.

RedAlice

Reaction score
bigDhawk":36z5h5fn said:
Ramfan128":36z5h5fn said:
HawkMeat":36z5h5fn said:

EXTREMELY.

It sacrifices picks in this draft and basically just the 1st next year....with the mega contracts that Jenkins and McCleod got, we will surely have a 3rd round compensatory pick next year.

On top of that, we still have two 4th round picks to play with this year...one being the Titans which is basically a 3rd round pick. So I'm thrilled.

You do realize you are only going .500 at best this season, because Jeff Fischer and because the Rams. Right? Heck, the wheels might completely fall off and you could hand the Titans a top 5 pick in 2017. Neither Wentz nor Goff will be worth the price paid. Should have stayed put at 15 or just move up a couple spots for Lynch.

There is no "C" in Fisher.

bigDhawk

Reaction score
RedAlice":34f9m9zb said:
bigDhawk":34f9m9zb said:
Ramfan128":34f9m9zb said:
HawkMeat":34f9m9zb said:

EXTREMELY.

635580084169919501-199505595_yeah.jpg

Seanhawk

Reaction score
RedAlice":p1rdktfu said:
bigDhawk":p1rdktfu said:
Ramfan128":p1rdktfu said:
HawkMeat":p1rdktfu said:

EXTREMELY.

He's a giant "C" in my book.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
RedAlice":yz1q1kjp said:
hawkfan68":yz1q1kjp said:

Hawk fans before and after Wilson are much different on how they talk about QBs. :roll:

Maybe some....but the Seahawks went to the Superbowl with Matt Hasselbeck (drafted in 6th round). The Pats have won 4 Superbowls with Tom Brady (6th round pick). The Bucs won a SB with Brad Johnson (9th round pick). Raiders went to the SB with Rich Gannon (4th rd pick). Heck the Rams won a SB with Kurt Warner (UDFA). First round QBs don't equate to championships in many cases.

RedAlice

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2ha6onql said:
RedAlice":2ha6onql said:
hawkfan68":2ha6onql said:

Maybe some....but the Seahawks went to the Superbowl with Matt Hasselbeck (drafted in 6th round). The Pats have won 4 Superbowls with Tom Brady (6th round pick). The Bucs won a SB with Brad Johnson (9th round pick). Raiders went to the SB with Rich Gannon (4th rd pick). Heck the Rams won a SB with Kurt Warner (UDFA). First round QBs don't equate to championships in many cases.

I can assure you I know my NFL QB history. I also know what interacting with Hawk fans was like both before and after Wilson.

Loves!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Interesting move, I do think it was the wrong year to go for it. But the Rams have to make a splash and they have everything needed to be a top tier team except a premier quarterback.

Well few teams have a premier quarterback and with the current rules it's worth the risk to take a shot every 4 years at minimum. The rookie wage scale is one of the few things the NFL have gotten right in recent years.

NINEster

Reaction score
Marvin49":33ntgqhb said:
elmgrovegnome":33ntgqhb said:
McGruff":33ntgqhb said:

Not overpaying for Janoris Jenkins. Letting Long and Laurinitis walk as they enter their decline, getting rid of Cook, draft Aaron Donald, drafting Gurley, tagging Trumaine, drafting EJ Gaines in round 6, Hekker, Tavon.

I'll throw in that they beat Seattle twice last season. If the Rams are that stupid then what is Seattle?

This won't end well.

It wasn't exactly unsolicited. Just because you're in enemy territory doesn't mean you have to lay down on smack talk, esp. if it's not all that accurate. :th2thumbs:

The Rams get a lot of flack, but really the only thing they've handled poorly the last few years has been QB. All of their Mike Mayock all star picks have panned out really well, and they're batting 1.000 on ACL picks unlike some GMs.

Goff or Wentz may not be all star material, but neither of them have 3rd round grades, and the Seahawks did just fine with a 3rd rounder in 2012 starting every game.

NINEster

Reaction score
hawkfan68":4hb2ffq6 said:
RedAlice":4hb2ffq6 said:
hawkfan68":4hb2ffq6 said:

First round QBs have a lower bust rate than later rounder QBs.

First round QBs don't guarantee championships, but really, nothing does.

First round QBs are the majority of starting QBs in the NFL.

Now, when you factor the success of later round QBs, you find something interesting:

Matt Hasselbeck - did not start his rookie year
Tom Brady - did not start his rookie year
Brad Johnson - did not start his rookie year
Rich Gannon - did not start his rookie year
Kurt Warner- did not start his rookie year

Some other QBs:

Tony Romo - did not start his rookie season
Colin Kaepernick - did not start his rookie season

Joe Montana - did not start his rookie season

A majority of the guys listed above didn't even start in their 2nd or 3rd seasons. But the point is strong enough with just one season as a backup.

It helps to sit to become a good NFL QB. If only teams had the balls to draft a QB in first round and not play him immediately, we'd probably see a lot more good NFL QBs.

One team had the luxury of a first round QB sitting for THREE seasons.

His name: Aaron Rodgers.

Alex Smith, #1 overall and went to the worst possible organization probably for QB development. Had Smith went to Green Bay instead, he'd probably be a top 5 QB in the NFL right now. Who knows how good Rodgers could have been as a Niner......doubt he would be the QB we know of today -- Rodgers work as a backup in Green Bay was part of his greatness.

Looking at early Eli, Roethlisberger, Rivers, etc. versus now also cements the point. QB sweet spot is at least a few years of experience while still young enough to throw well and be mobile. Peyton Manning didn't have such an awesome start to this career and he was considered the most prototypical.

Dan Marino crushing the NFL so early on is a super anomaly, as is Tom Brady in his 2nd season as pick #199 winning the Super Bowl. You can't use these examples as norms.

NINEster

Reaction score
BTW, Russell Wilson is another anomaly.....

A very unique QB style complemented by one of the very few if only teams that could allow him to thrive......a team with a dominant ground game and defense, and an head coach and offensive coordinator who built properly around that and stuck to it.

Seahawks had the fewest passing attempts from 2012-2014?

That's how you develop a QB.

randomation

Reaction score
I'm hoping it's Goff because I would like to cheer for wentz and for a few other reasons.

These are the things I noticed with Goff even when watching his highlights

1. He throws a very pretty ball that is fairly accurate he also is decent at pocket movement
2. His receivers appear to be very fast and very good at losing defenders - would not be surprised to see more than one of them drafted
3. There are many many plays even in his highlight reels where said receivers had to slow or even stop for a ball.
4. His stats in inclement weath are horrific, possibly due to lower than average hand size. Full inch smaller than Russ despite being about 6 inches taller.

This makes me really want them to take Goff I think his ceiling is much lower than Wentz and I don't see Wentz being somebody who is going to fail due to lack of effort. Also I would like the Browns to take Wentz and cheer for him to take them out of the ashes of mediocrity and crush Pitt into the cellar. Not that I'm bitter or anything :p

RedAlice

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":lb68hb3k said:
Interesting move, I do think it was the wrong year to go for it. But the Rams have to make a splash and they have everything needed to be a top tier team except a premier quarterback.

Well few teams have a premier quarterback and with the current rules it's worth the risk to take a shot every 4 years at minimum. The rookie wage scale is one of the few things the NFL have gotten right in recent years.

You are actually hitting my one spot of fine with this whole thing. Bradford cost the Rams $$$$$$$$$$.

This pick, does not. Let's risk it. There are no other options other than playing third best to AZ and Hawks. I'm all in.

RedAlice

Reaction score
randomation":dqou3lsl said:
I'm hoping it's Goff because I would like to cheer for wentz and for a few other reasons.

These are the things I noticed with Goff even when watching his highlights

1. He throws a very pretty ball that is fairly accurate he also is decent at pocket movement
2. His receivers appear to be very fast and very good at losing defenders - would not be surprised to see more than one of them drafted
3. There are many many plays even in his highlight reels where said receivers had to slow or even stop for a ball.
4. His stats in inclement weath are horrific, possibly due to lower than average hand size. Full inch smaller than Russ despite being about 6 inches taller.

This makes me really want them to take Goff I think his ceiling is much lower than Wentz and I don't see Wentz being somebody who is going to fail due to lack of effort. Also I would like the Browns to take Wentz and cheer for him to take them out of the ashes of mediocrity and crush Pitt into the cellar. Not that I'm bitter or anything :p

The problem is, there are a zillion replicas of you either for Goff or for Wentz. You all kinda say the exact same thing, except towards your guy. It does not matter which team you are a fan of - it's all the same. So over it. You could be a Browns fan, or a Niner fan, or who cares who fan.

I am 100% over the whole debate. This is up to Snead to make the right choice. And, he better.

I seriously am over all the projections and "analysis."

eta: Obviously I do not watch or care at all about college football.

themunn

Reaction score
If the level of talent in this draft is as Schneider says, then giving up some 2nd round picks to get the guy and next year's 1st isn't the end of the world for the Rams. The third round pick is broadly offset by the 4th and 6th they get back.

I mean, I STILL think people put far too much stock into the value of draft picks. Definitely you need to build your team through it, but every team should be able to absorb losing a few picks. In the first 3 rounds of each of the last 3 drafts we've picked Lockett, Clark, Richardson, Britt, Michael and Hill, and that's it. Not exactly the finest return - would you give up picking Britt and Richarson in the 2nd in order to pick up a potential QB of the future? Of course you would. Clark and Lockett? Probably still yes.

RedAlice

Reaction score
themunn":37aluwpc said:
If the level of talent in this draft is as Schneider says, then giving up some 2nd round picks to get the guy and next year's 1st isn't the end of the world for the Rams. The third round pick is broadly offset by the 4th and 6th they get back.

I mean, I STILL think people put far too much stock into the value of draft picks. Definitely you need to build your team through it, but every team should be able to absorb losing a few picks. In the first 3 rounds of each of the last 3 drafts we've picked Lockett, Clark, Richardson, Britt, Michael and Hill, and that's it. Not exactly the finest return - would you give up picking Britt and Richarson in the 2nd in order to pick up a potential QB of the future? Of course you would. Clark and Lockett? Probably still yes.

Very well said. The only actual gamble I can now see is picking the right guy. And even then, it's STILL a gamble.

But, it's one second, one third and next year's first. The rest is either a trade or a gimmee. If the QB sucks, it won't matter the number of picks Rams gave up, if the QB rocks, it also won't matter.

Rams have literally been bottom feeders for a decade. The only team they can consistently beat it seems is the Hawks....but, that accomplishes nothing.

I'm all in on this trade, this gamble. Even if he spends all of 2016 on the bench.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
elmgrovegnome":uuod83sj said:
McGruff":uuod83sj said:

Why do you continue to compare this move with any Seattle have made?

Latest posts