Question to non-49er fans

Laloosh

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":3siqrjm1 said:
googoodan":3siqrjm1 said:
49ers fans bragging about 5 rings, to me, is like a single 35 year old man bragging about a girl he dated in high school.

More like who his dad dated in high school.
More like talking about the girl his dad dated while his rival is banging his twin sisters in his dad's bonus room in front of a poster that reads "who's got it better than us?"

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":231y1q9x said:
Uncle Si":231y1q9x said:
to be fair, sports fans have short term memory. i find it hard to believe that a fan hates the 9ers because of Joe Montana or Steve young or 5 super bowls or whatever.

It's not because of those players specifically, I admire the hell out of those players. It's the Niners fans using their past SB's like it's an end to the discussion.

Me: "Hawks just rolled your Niners like a hobo in the hot sun........in your stadium"
Niners fans: "5 SUPER BOWL WINS BITCH!"

Anyone can see how that's annoying as hell, and it's a cop out when talking about the current teams. But I understand, when your team's a mess and not as good as the other team you're debating with, you gotta cling onto the past like grim death.

seriously though, we really care about what their fans say?

My point wasnt about the players, per se. Hate is usually reserved for teams that are winning and beating yours. 9ers hate is recent. the "rings" talk is only relevant because we are beating them now. Imagine if we were in the AFC East (Pats), North (Steelers)? before that it was the Rams. before that it was the Broncos. before that it was the Raiders.

Soon it may well be the Rams again.

I dont know. this is the only web page I really visit though, so outside of the handful of 9ers fans in here (who arent bad) I dont live it

Vetamur

Reaction score
My hate I will admit came originally out of jealousy and over exposure. I moved to the Bay Area to do my undergrad studies in 1990. Was there 5 years. 1990 to 1995 included some of the worst years ever for the Seahawks and some of the best for the 49ers. Not only could I not watch the Seahawks (I was used to that, having moved from the SW), but I was constantly flooded with Jerry Rice this and Steve Young that and Joe Montana blahblahblah. I thought it was so patently unfair that the 49ers went from Montana to Young while the Seahawks went from Gelbaugh to Mirer..

Got over it.. but that planted the seed of dislike.

Now..the hate comes from mostly 2 places. The coach and the QB. Harbaugh makes it so easy to dislike him. Whining about every play.. hes a hypocrite.. not a good person to be around apparently, despite his excellent coaching organizations dont keep him around.

Then there is Kaep, one of my least favorite people and actually a good example with some of the things I dislike about modern culture, where "surly" is somehow cool, and being a jerk is somehow made to be a celebrated anti hero. Doesnt respect the game, doesnt give a hoot about introspection.. just wants to be a non communicative jerk thinking he knows nothing to anyone..without realizing he plays a game and if people dont watch the game then hes just a kid who hasnt outgrown recess.

49er fans I could care less about.. the only fan base I truly dislike is the one in Washington DC.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
Post by NINEster » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:46 am

I agree that the " 5 rings ", "quest 4 six" stuff is entitled and annoying......but in the real world I don't know if it's being used that much.

Um, didn't a bunch of fans just put a billboard up last season of 5 Lombardi trophies on I-5
So it's very relevant and you guys stick it in our face IN THE REAL WORLD
Whiner fans also tell us how we should or shouldn't feel and don't care or are in complete denial and have police keeping their entire team from being put into san Quentin
1...A fanbase that shoots ,stabs, beats other teams fans regularly
2...A team that has many players that would be serving time if they weren't rich and entitled in their town
3...A coach who just irks the crap out of EVERYONE
4...A front office that wishes us a merry effin xmas when they barely scrape out a win during the holidays , what's not to hate
Glad you guys are finally seeing the window not just close but slam shut on your fingers

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2wxx94iz said:
Sgt. Largent":2wxx94iz said:
Uncle Si":2wxx94iz said:
to be fair, sports fans have short term memory. i find it hard to believe that a fan hates the 9ers because of Joe Montana or Steve young or 5 super bowls or whatever.

It's not because of those players specifically, I admire the hell out of those players. It's the Niners fans using their past SB's like it's an end to the discussion.

Me: "Hawks just rolled your Niners like a hobo in the hot sun........in your stadium"
Niners fans: "5 SUPER BOWL WINS BITCH!"

Anyone can see how that's annoying as hell, and it's a cop out when talking about the current teams. But I understand, when your team's a mess and not as good as the other team you're debating with, you gotta cling onto the past like grim death.

seriously though, we really care about what their fans say?

No, I don't care what other fans say. But the question was asked, so I answered.

Talking trash is a fun part of being a fan, so it's lame to talk trash with other team's fans that don't come up with witty or original comments during conversations........and Niners fans are some of the least original fans when it comes to talking trash. Because of what I said, they just lazily fall back on 5 SB's!

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Let's see....coming into 2012 I posted that due to the schedule the Hawks could win the division if they could sweep SF. If they split, they might still win it, but it would take help. The Niner hate was incredible. The thread almost got locked down. Hawk fans chided me for even posting it ON OUR OWN BOARD because I should have known all the hate it would get from the arrogant Niner fans.

Now let's all remember that going into 2012 the Niners had had ONE YEAR of success in over a decade.

So how'd that year end up? If Rams don't tie the Niners, we win the division even without a sweep. My prediction was dead on.

But the real reason to hate on the Niner fans was pretty well exposed in the arguments that took place on that thread. Our reasons for doubting the Niners were going to walk all over us was two fold: Alex Smith was only a game manager and the Niner turnover ratio the previous year was due to fumbles bouncing their way, which is not a sustainable stat. (btw, by years end, Alex Smith was gone and the Niners turnover ratio was nowhere near what it had been the year before.) In other words, I had legitimate observations that led me to correctly conclude exactly how the season would ultimately play out.

Not only were Niner fans arguments based solely upon homerism and complete lack of knowledge, but when they'd lose their arguments, they always resort to the same thing: We've got 5 rings bitches! Talks to us when you have one.

Arrogance and a complete lack of real football knowledge in addition to a total lack of respect. For the previous 10 seasons, the Hawks had dominated the NFC West. SF FINALLY has one good year and suddenly they treat us like WE are the upstarts.

When the Rams challenged us, they got a bit obnoxious, but the rivalry was fun. When AZ rose, it was so flukey and AZ fans so downtrodden for so long that I cheered for them. When SF fans came around, their behaviour was despicable. Easy to despise despicable people.

Now that their window is closing - which many of us here predicted it would for the very reasons that it has - the classless Niner fans are nowhere to be seen. Only the reasonable REAL Niner fans stick around, like Marvin.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
i f---ing hated the Rams when they had Holt, Bruce, Warner and Faulk. losing to them three times in one year wasnt fun at all.

good on all of you for hating the 9ers because of their internet fans. I hated them because they were the only team in the division worth giving a s--- about.

I see the Rams being that team (again) in the near future.

So where do i start my "f--- Jeff Fisher" thread?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
If true I think the answer is a really, really simple one, but will go through it slowly for the heck of it.

HISTORICAL ARGUMENT:

The Rams and 49ers are the only team with a history in the division, as they're the only teams that were in the NFCW before 2002. Maybe the Rams considered the 9ers their rivals in the 90s, but 9ers fans DEFINITELY considered the Cowboys to be their rivals. The 9ers finished 2nd in the division in '01 and 1st in '02 during the the Greatest Show on Turf era, so maybe there was a little bit of a rivalry there, although you have to go back to '89 to find the only instance of the 9ers or Rams knocking each other out of the playoffs.

Conclusion: Basically, two teams in the division have only been the division for twelve seasons and the other two weren't really rivals in the decade proceeding that either, save for a couple years. I don't think a historical argument makes sense for the NFCW.

SOMETHING ABOUT THE FANS BEING ATYPICALLY AWFUL:

If this were the case, fans of other teams in the division would have a consistent history of hating the 9ers and their fans at least since the NFCW was realigned in 2002. I just simply don't remember this at all. From 2003-2010 the 9ers didn't have a single season with a winning record. I don't remember them or their fans being acknowledged too much, let alone hated. I think Rams fans, given their history in the division, probably enjoyed the 9ers sucking a bit, but I don't remember them hating the 9ers while they sucked, or considering them their rivals (by anything more than default, if even that).

Also of importance is that no other teams in the NFCW was really that dominate during the first decade of the aughts. The Hawks did win the division four years in a row, but two of the four times they did so with a 9-7 record, and they only made it past the divisional round once in the decade.

Conclusion: If there was really something about the fans being atypically awful, I think everyone would have hated the 9ers from 2003-2010, and that just simply wasn't the case. The team sucked. It was in turmoil. Save for fans of other teams who lived in areas where they were surrounded by 9ers fans nobody cared about them or their fans.

SUCCESS, AND RESENTMENT LAG TIMES

The 9ers have gone to the NFC Championship game for the past three seasons, and won the division in two of the last three years. I think it takes a couple years of success on the national stage (at least going to Super Bowls or Championship games) for division rivals to start hating a team and its fanbase. I don't even remember fans of other NFCW teams hating the 9ers or their fans in 2011 when they won the division and lost in the NFCCG. There's a lag time, and you have to maintain success.

Honestly, I think this is it. There's just not a robust history of hatred there, and the correlation between success and hatred from fans of other teams is just too strong across all sports to think otherwise.

As the 9ers are going to miss the playoffs this year and the current regime will be imploded in the offseason, I think there will likely be a lag time of a couple years but the lack of success will cause people to stop hating the 49ers.

In support of this too, the Hawks won the Super Bowl last year, and we're in the first year that I can remember of fans in the NFCW (and nationally) grumbling about how obnoxious the Seahawks and their fans are. If they are at least going to the NFCCG somewhat consistently over the next few years, this will solidify and they'll be the most hated team and fanbase in the division. Not because they're any more or less obnoxious, just because they're successfull.

BONUS: SOMETHING ABOUT THE PLAYERS, COACHES OR F.O. BEING ATYPICALLY AWFUL

Unless someone can point to UNSUCCESSFUL hated team that are hated because of their players or coaches, I just don't buy it. There may be a couple outliers (e.g. the Cowboys are hated BECAUSE they're "America's Team", some people's hatred of Vick caused hatred for the Eagles, etc.), but as a general rule, I just don't ever see anyone able to leverage any examples of this save for the teams whose players, coaches, or F.O. they hate (which always "just happens" to be successful).

chris98251

Reaction score
Popeyejones , you were hated in the 80's and 90's also, but still respected due to your players, your fans rose and became jerks on a lot of levels, not thugs, just boisterous we walk on water you don't look at our 5 rings, they then disappeared and went into hiding when the Rams reached their level of success. The resurgence and I will say it started with Singletary brought in a different kind of fan base, the thug mentality you are seeing now but with that same 5 rings walk on water mentality.

You got by beating a constant bad Atlanta, New Orleans, and Expansion Panthers franchises for decades, you say the Rams are the only history you have, they are the only team that had a decent team for almost your franchises whole existence. Sure Bartkowski led Atlanta had a few years, and the Panthers had a couple, but over all you have had mostly pillow fights in route to your good seasons, as long as Knox and Robinson were not coaching the Rams or Gilman I believe earlier.

Now you have a tough and competitive Arizona team that has the unfortunate luck of being in this division, a Rams team that has pieces but has yet to put it all together but isn't bad and the Seahawks, which you all love to say isn't a rival becasue we have no history, but has a better winning record since coming BACK to the NFC West then any other team, that is arrogance, that is lack of acknowledgement, thats saying we have 5 rings and history and you don't without saying it ditrectly.

That is what makes people dislike the 49ers and their fans.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Popeyejones":11bxdteo said:
If true I think the answer is a really, really simple one, but will go through it slowly for the heck of it.

HISTORICAL ARGUMENT:

The Rams and 49ers are the only team with a history in the division, as they're the only teams that were in the NFCW before 2002. Maybe the Rams considered the 9ers their rivals in the 90s, but 9ers fans DEFINITELY considered the Cowboys to be their rivals. The 9ers finished 2nd in the division in '01 and 1st in '02 during the the Greatest Show on Turf era, so maybe there was a little bit of a rivalry there, although you have to go back to '89 to find the only instance of the 9ers or Rams knocking each other out of the playoffs.

Conclusion: Basically, two teams in the division have only been the division for twelve seasons and the other two weren't really rivals in the decade proceeding that either, save for a couple years. I don't think a historical argument makes sense for the NFCW.

SOMETHING ABOUT THE FANS BEING ATYPICALLY AWFUL:

If this were the case, fans of other teams in the division would have a consistent history of hating the 9ers and their fans at least since the NFCW was realigned in 2002. I just simply don't remember this at all. From 2003-2010 the 9ers didn't have a single season with a winning record. I don't remember them or their fans being acknowledged too much, let alone hated. I think Rams fans, given their history in the division, probably enjoyed the 9ers sucking a bit, but I don't remember them hating the 9ers while they sucked, or considering them their rivals (by anything more than default, if even that).

Also of importance is that no other teams in the NFCW was really that dominate during the first decade of the aughts. The Hawks did win the division four years in a row, but two of the four times they did so with a 9-7 record, and they only made it past the divisional round once in the decade.

Conclusion: If there was really something about the fans being atypically awful, I think everyone would have hated the 9ers from 2003-2010, and that just simply wasn't the case. The team sucked. It was in turmoil. Save for fans of other teams who lived in areas where they were surrounded by 9ers fans nobody cared about them or their fans.

SUCCESS, AND RESENTMENT LAG TIMES

The 9ers have gone to the NFC Championship game for the past three seasons, and won the division in two of the last three years. I think it takes a couple years of success on the national stage (at least going to Super Bowls or Championship games) for division rivals to start hating a team and its fanbase. I don't even remember fans of other NFCW teams hating the 9ers or their fans in 2011 when they won the division and lost in the NFCCG. There's a lag time, and you have to maintain success.

Honestly, I think this is it. There's just not a robust history of hatred there, and the correlation between success and hatred from fans of other teams is just too strong across all sports to think otherwise.

As the 9ers are going to miss the playoffs this year and the current regime will be imploded in the offseason, I think there will likely be a lag time of a couple years but the lack of success will cause people to stop hating the 49ers.

In support of this too, the Hawks won the Super Bowl last year, and we're in the first year that I can remember of fans in the NFCW (and nationally) grumbling about how obnoxious the Seahawks and their fans are. If they are at least going to the NFCCG somewhat consistently over the next few years, this will solidify and they'll be the most hated team and fanbase in the division. Not because they're any more or less obnoxious, just because they're successfull.

BONUS: SOMETHING ABOUT THE PLAYERS, COACHES OR F.O. BEING ATYPICALLY AWFUL

Unless someone can point to UNSUCCESSFUL hated team that are hated because of their players or coaches, I just don't buy it. There may be a couple outliers (e.g. the Cowboys are hated BECAUSE they're "America's Team", some people's hatred of Vick caused hatred for the Eagles, etc.), but as a general rule, I just don't ever see anyone able to leverage any examples of this save for the teams whose players, coaches, or F.O. they hate (which always "just happens" to be successful).

Niner fans were obnoxious when they sucked for a decade too. There are more niner fans in the world and thanks to Al Gore inventing the internet, more of them online to annoy everyone. Niner fans have had one argument and one argument only for TWENTY FLIPPING YEARS. It doesn't matter how bad their team is/was, they just rammed their stupid ONE argument down everyone's throat trying to keep them relevant.

At the beginning of EVERY season, the niner fans were all over the internet spouting their ONE argument and claiming to have had the best offseason in the league. All of their new players were gonna be Hall of Famers and the niners were gonna win another championship. Halfway through the season, all but a few were gone, only to return just before the next season spouting the same thing as every year. It was a running joke how the niners were ALWAYS the offseason champions.

Seahawk fans were always around, win or lose.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
5 years from now Seahawks fans will be the most hated fans in the NFL for hating the other fans in the NFL

Popeyejones

Reaction score
chris98251":gfx07zeb said:
Popeyejones , you were hated in the 80's and 90's also, but still respected due to your players, your fans rose and became jerks on a lot of levels, not thugs, just boisterous we walk on water you don't look at our 5 rings, they then disappeared and went into hiding when the Rams reached their level of success.

Ehh, I guess we remember it differently. They were hated through the late 80s the 90s just as much. Back then it was for "buying championships", because Eddie D. was too smug, because the media fawned too much over Montana and Walsh, because they were disloyal for dumping their stars and not winning "the right way" etc., etc. There's always a "reason" beyond being successful, but teams and their fans are always hated by other fans when they have sustained periods of success.

I think you're even kind of acknowledging this when saying 9ers fans "disappeared and went into hiding" during the Rams' run. The 9ers and their fans didn't go anywhere (in the Rams' three year run the 9ers even won the division once and made the playoffs twice). People were just too busy making fun of Kurt Warner's wife, complaining about him getting too much media attention and whining about the Rams having an unfair advantage because their team was built to "only be good on astroturf," and how they were "soft" and not winning with "traditional" football. You've also left out the next six years in which the 9ers totally sucked and people continued to not care about them or their fans. .

The resurgence and I will say it started with Singletary brought in a different kind of fan base, the thug mentality you are seeing now but with that same 5 rings walk on water mentality.

The change in the fanbase predated Singletary. It started with the rise in gang injunctions in CA in the 90s, and really took shape at the turn of the century when the Nortenos transitioned from a prison gang to a street gang after the ballooning prison population first started being out on release.

As for the fanbase being "thugs", while the 9ers fanbase these days might not be rich enough and white enough for the liking of some, there are MANY fanbases that fit that descrition which aren't hated around the league, they just happen to be the fanbases of teams that aren't currently successful. People used to say the same thing about Steelers fans when they were dominate. Same story for the Raiders and their fans when they had their run in 2000-2002 (same fans, just nobody has cared about them since the Raiders have sucked).

You got by beating a constant bad Atlanta, New Orleans, and Expansion Panthers franchises for decades, you say the Rams are the only history you have, they are the only team that had a decent team for almost your franchises whole existence. Sure Bartkowski led Atlanta had a few years, and the Panthers had a couple, but over all you have had mostly pillow fights in route to your good seasons, as long as Knox and Robinson were not coaching the Rams or Gilman I believe earlier.

This is completely off-topic. That said, I do not find the argument that the 9ers only won 5 Super Bowls in 13 seasons simply because their division was bad to be all that convincing.

Now you have a tough and competitive Arizona team that has the unfortunate luck of being in this division, a Rams team that has pieces but has yet to put it all together but isn't bad and the Seahawks, which you all love to say isn't a rival becasue we have no history, but has a better winning record since coming BACK to the NFC West then any other team, that is arrogance, that is lack of acknowledgement, thats saying we have 5 rings and history and you don't without saying it ditrectly.

When have I ever said the the 9ers and Seahawks aren't rivals? I think you might be arguing against a caricature rather than responding to what I wrote. I've never leveraged the 9ers Super Bowl victories or made fun of the Hawks for not having a "history." Who are you arguing with? It's surely not me. Whoever this person is, you should be responding to them rather than me. ;)

Popeyejones

Reaction score
rideaducati":1ztldwa8 said:
Hawks fans rule 9ers fan drool

FTFY ;)

Uncle Si":1ztldwa8 said:
5 years from now Seahawks fans will be the most hated fans in the NFL

If they keep winning absolutely. TBH I think most people on this board paying a lick of attention outside of the echo chamber have already seen it start to happen. IMO the majority of every fanbase is obnoxious and stupid; fandom itself is pretty irrational so of course it's obnoxious to non-fans. It's just if the fan's object of affection isn't getting in the way of one's own fandom nobody really cares (e.g. nobody pays close enough attention to the Jags and their fans to even remotely care that they act like fans: over-valuing their marginal players, being homers [i.e. FANS], convicing themselves that the fans of their opponents are somehow less moral or deserving, etc., etc..)

chris98251

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2mq26f8i said:
chris98251":2mq26f8i said:
Popeyejones , you were hated in the 80's and 90's also, but still respected due to your players, your fans rose and became jerks on a lot of levels, not thugs, just boisterous we walk on water you don't look at our 5 rings, they then disappeared and went into hiding when the Rams reached their level of success.

Ehh, I guess we remember it differently. They were hated through the late 80s the 90s just as much. Back then it was for "buying championships", because Eddie D. was too smug, because the media fawned too much over Montana and Walsh, because they were disloyal for dumping their stars and not winning "the right way" etc., etc. There's always a "reason" beyond being successful, but teams and their fans are always hated by other fans when they have sustained periods of success.

I think you're even kind of acknowledging this when saying 9ers fans "disappeared and went into hiding" during the Rams' run. The 9ers and their fans didn't go anywhere (in the Rams' three year run the 9ers even won the division once and made the playoffs twice). People were just too busy making fun of Kurt Warner's wife, complaining about him getting too much media attention and whining about the Rams having an unfair advantage because their team was built to "only be good on astroturf," and how they were "soft" and not winning with "traditional" football. You've also left out the next six years in which the 9ers totally sucked and people continued to not care about them or their fans. .

The resurgence and I will say it started with Singletary brought in a different kind of fan base, the thug mentality you are seeing now but with that same 5 rings walk on water mentality.

The change in the fanbase predated Singletary. It started with the rise in gang injunctions in CA in the 90s, and really took shape at the turn of the century when the Nortenos transitioned from a prison gang to a street gang after the ballooning prison population first started being out on release.

As for the fanbase being "thugs", while the 9ers fanbase these days might not be rich enough and white enough for the liking of some, there are MANY fanbases that fit that descrition which aren't hated around the league, they just happen to be the fanbases of teams that aren't currently successful. People used to say the same thing about Steelers fans when they were dominate. Same story for the Raiders and their fans when they had their run in 2000-2002 (same fans, just nobody has cared about them since the Raiders have sucked).

This is completely off-topic. That said, I do not find the argument that the 9ers only won 5 Super Bowls in 13 seasons simply because their division was bad to be all that convincing.

When have I ever said the the 9ers and Seahawks aren't rivals? I think you might be arguing against a caricature rather than responding to what I wrote. I've never leveraged the 9ers Super Bowl victories or made fun of the Hawks for not having a "history." Who are you arguing with? It's surely not me. Whoever this person is, you should be responding to them rather than me. ;)

Marvin hey Marvin, get out of Popeyes skin :) I am stating a perspective that you can't see as a 49ers fan, thats ok, you can't stand in the house and see what everone else see's outside on the roof.

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":18vg1ygr said:
Popeyejones":18vg1ygr said:

Marvin hey Marvin, get out of Popeyes skin :) I am stating a perspective that you can't see as a 49ers fan, thats ok, you can't stand in the house and see what everone else see's outside on the roof.

Hrmm? Wha?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
chris98251":eadm6yrh said:

Yeah, it's just that --limiting to the parts of your post that were on topic -- 1) we disagree about if the 9ers were hated by fans of opposing teams in the late 80s and early 90s, 2) you have your history wrong in when the socioeconomic reputation of the 9ers fanbase changed.

A 9ers fan potentially having more insight into #2 is pretty obvious I'd guess, and as for #1, I'd say a 9ers fan of the time probably has better insights into what people were saying about the team back then than a fan of some random AFC team that spent the entire decade trying and failing to have a winning season. ;)

zifnab32

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever met an Arizona or St. Louis fan in the wild. I was mostly convinced they were some kind of mythical creature.

chris98251

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1ktn1mqf said:
chris98251":1ktn1mqf said:

Yeah, it's just that --limiting to the parts of your post that were on topic -- 1) we disagree about if the 9ers were hated by fans of opposing teams in the late 80s and early 90s, 2) you have your history wrong in when the socioeconomic reputation of the 9ers fanbase changed.

A 9ers fan potentially having more insight into #2 is pretty obvious I'd guess, and as for #1, I'd say a 9ers fan of the time probably has better insights into what people were saying about the team back then than a fan of some random AFC team that spent the entire decade trying and failing to have a winning season. ;)

Geez talk about not having a clue about history, we were the fastet expansion team to make the playoffs,

1983 LOST CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP
1984 LOST DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP
1987 LOST WC GAME
1988 LOST DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP

1983 the Raiders won the Super Bowl, for those in the NFC West at that time the AFC West was the toughest division in football.

1984 the Dolphins whom we lost to played your 49ers that happened to win that year, yeah Seahawks sure sucked.

1987 geez the Broncos were in the Super Bowl that year, another sucky AFC West team representing in the Super Bowl that we were once again in the same division with.

1988 lost again to the team from the AFC representing in the Super Bowl the Bengals. bridesmaid but never the bride.

I guess those do not count as winning seasons.

That was pretty much the 80's when the 90's came into view so did Ken Behring, who was dismantling to move to LA, that lasted till 98 or so when Holmgren came and Allen as owner close to that. Since then I could harldy call us losers.

We had two 7 - 9 seasons in the 80's, bunch of pathetic losers I know, could never match how elite franchises in the NFC West were at that time like the Falcons, Rams, Saints, and oh yeah 49ers. The Cheifs, Chargers and Broncos and woeful Seahawks were all AAA teams I guess in the NFC's eyes.

See this is why the 49ers have a reputation, you can't admit your wrong, can't admit history and your appearence is different fro outside your glass house.

We were proud to be in the AFC West butting heads with Elway, Fouts, Derrick Thomas and Christian Okoya, Stabler, Casper, and the Oakland defense, we competed, won and represented well in as I stated the Toughest Division in football, the AFC Central was about as close as anyone else got with Houston, Pittsburgh , Cleveland and Cincinnati.

I think a part of the reason 49ers fans have a hard time with the Seahawks is that we hit hard and don't use pillows, we are making you work for a division championship, you have to play all 16 games instead of just 8 or so.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^ lots of discussion of the 80s in response to my reference to the 90s. :)

Heck, lots of discussion overall to a throwaway joke with a wink after it.