Question to non-49er fans

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Because there were 2 Niner fans here pre-2011. Now that the Niners are getting roundly beaten, the contingent of Niner 'faithful' has reverted towartowards the norm.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Before the NFC championship game last year, there was a middle-aged 9ers fan with one of those little red "Quest for Six" towels running up and down the stadium like a teenager. He was even holding it up to some Seahawks fans faces. Also right behind him was some goofy ass kid probably about 21 with his little camcorder and he kept recording himseld holding up his "#1 pose". Throughout the game these 2 clowns would turn around, cross their arms, and talk crap to everyone behind them whenever their team did something good. As soon as the Sherman tip INT play happened, after celebrating with my friends and family for a bit, these clowns were nowhere to be found. I haven't even mentioned the entire family behind us running down several rows just to cheer in our ears after a good play.

rlkats

Reaction score
-The Glove-":2l5gw8ha said:
Before the NFC championship game last year, there was a middle-aged 9ers fan with one of those little red "Quest for Six" towels running up and down the stadium like a teenager. He was even holding it up to some Seahawks fans faces. Also right behind him was some goofy ass kid probably about 21 with his little camcorder and he kept recording himseld holding up his "#1 pose". Throughout the game these 2 clowns would turn around, cross their arms, and talk crap to everyone behind them whenever their team did something good. As soon as the Sherman tip INT play happened, after celebrating with my friends and family for a bit, these clowns were nowhere to be found. I haven't even mentioned the entire family behind us running down several rows just to cheer in our ears after a good play.

sad bro sorry to hear that. That is a pathetic way to act in someone else's home.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Maulbert":29xuvrpa said:
I could do without Niner fans expecting me to kiss Harbaugh and Kaepernick's asses for stuff that Bill Walsh and Joe Montana did. Got nothing but respect for Joe Cool. Class act. When I see s**t like this:

WeveGot5

I just want to throw up. I thought it was really foolish for Jerry Rice to expect "Respect for the Rings" when almost no ties remain to those rings inside the organization. Niners haven't won jack squat in Santa Clara, or with this squad. Nothing but respect for Walsh, Montana, Rice, and Young. But the buck stops there.

Damn, never seen that one before. That's pretty brutal. Everything that allowed that picture to come into being -- the posing, the awesome parenting, the mere fact that the shirt exists at all -- is the best answer so far to the OP's question. Ouch.

There's some tough-to-listen-to fanbases out there, especially onlilne (DC, Pittsburgh and recently, the Pack come to mind), but I don't see that picture getting beat.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":22idw3m4 said:
Maulbert":22idw3m4 said:
I could do without Niner fans expecting me to kiss Harbaugh and Kaepernick's asses for stuff that Bill Walsh and Joe Montana did. Got nothing but respect for Joe Cool. Class act. When I see s**t like this:

WeveGot5

I just want to throw up. I thought it was really foolish for Jerry Rice to expect "Respect for the Rings" when almost no ties remain to those rings inside the organization. Niners haven't won jack squat in Santa Clara, or with this squad. Nothing but respect for Walsh, Montana, Rice, and Young. But the buck stops there.

Damn, never seen that one before. That's pretty brutal. Everything that allowed that picture to come into being -- the posing, the awesome parenting, the mere fact that the shirt exists at all -- is the best answer so far to the OP's question. Ouch.

There's some tough-to-listen-to fanbases out there, especially onlilne (DC, Pittsburgh and recently, the Pack come to mind), but I don't see that picture getting beat.
You left out the Dallas fanbase. I work with a guy that likes to talk about 5 antique trophies a lot and he's old enough to know better. I have to counter with "those are as relevant as the Seattle Metropolitans winning the Stanley cup in 1917, and you don't hear me bragging about that!"

HawkWow

Reaction score
Maulbert":xrx61j73 said:

WeveGot5

I hope those little bastards stay conjoined forever.

There's only one fan base I hate: Pittsburgh's. I live in 9er country and for the most part enjoy the rivalry. Or did. It may be a while before it is (legitimately) considered that again. There's a few 9er posters in this forum that I enjoy reading. Winning is a relatively new concept in Seattle and a generous portion of Hawk fans are newer fans because of that. While fun to discuss the Seahawks with those fans, you wouldn't engage them if you wanted to discuss other teams or football in general. I find it healthy when visiting fans post their educated opinions.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Marvin49":1nwkoa5r said:
Speaking honestly (and I know you weren't directing it at me), I think its not the success they hate. Its 49er fans beating them over the head with that success from 20-30 years ago....especially the ones who weren't even fans when the team was winning.

I can't blame them. I hate that argument too...which is why I don't use it.

I didn't start hating the Niner fans until I started reading their message boards in 2002. I enjoyed the success of the Niners in the 80s. It wasn't until PWilly speared Hass in the back (2009) that I hated the team. It was followed by celebration and coincidentally the last time the Niners tough guy act would work against Seattle.

But the recent hate comes from K-choke.

Running off the field pouting in an ass kicking but celebrates a 2 point victory like a SB win at home.

Choking his way to a loss and claiming Sherman is scared of their receivers and claiming that he looks forward to exploiting him.

Then K-choke flat out lies claiming that Crabtree has had 100 yard games against the Hawks (never had 100 yards in season on Seattle)

After Mikah Hyde drops a game winning pick 6 two weeks earlier K-choke has the great idea of using a "if that" scenario where Sherman is the goat.

Crabtree, Cullifelon, "big dogs" Gore, K-choke, Anthony Davis and now even Boldin are all just punks to me. Boldin can still ball but the rest of them are all talk.

I would say that sums it up.

I have always found the 5 Super Bowl talk as trivial, especially since I wanted the Niners to win all of those games. Even the talk of the Niners overall success in the 80s doesn't apply. Prior to realignment the Niners and Hawks played 6 times in 25 years, they meant nothing to Hawks fans as a rival until 2002 as far as I can see.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Honestly? I think it's because Niner fans are really insecure about the fact that their storied franchise has not won a Super Bowl in nearly 20 years, and they suddenly find themselves secretly envying the previously ringless team that has stolen their thunder. Niner fans secretly acknowledge that their team's roster is filled with aging superstars, and they have not had good drafts in several years, leaving the remainder of their roster stocked with replacement level players.

Niner fans are insecure about the fact that Colin Kaepernick is Fool's Gold, a backup level QB who was able to capitalize early on his athleticism, but lacks the mental makeup to be an effective leader when things don't go as planned. Niner fans are insecure about the fact that they have over invested themselves emotionally in the success of this immature, insecure, stylistically challenged, bicep kissing, skeezer chasing, emotionally fragile, closet Dolphins fan. Niner fans are insecure about the fact that their soon-to-be-fired coach's on-camera temper tantrums are secretly rather embarrassing to the entire fanbase, and is why he is likely getting the axe despite being a pretty damn decent coach. Niner fans are insecure about the fact their team laid a huge egg when it mattered most, in the ill-fated "Harbowl", a game that would have been one of the biggest Super Bowl blowouts in NFL history, were it not for a freak power outage. Niner fans are insecure about the fact that their Super Bowl window has been sliding shut since the "Harbowl", as their star players age without many promising rookies to succeed them. Niner fans are insecure about the fact they are now facing a dreadful rebuilding, and potential slide to mediocrity.

Meanwhile, that formerly irrelevant team from the Pacific Northwest has assembled a dream team of management, coaching, player development, and scouting personnel. That team which formerly had no big name players is now hitting on draft after draft, filling their roster to the brim with young superstars bearing colorful personalities and a hunger to win. That team's players are a little bit bigger, a little bit stronger, a little bit faster, and a whole lot younger. That team's head coach and quarterback have positive, media ready personalities. That team's charismatic young quarterback, a 3rd round bargain, first year starter, is arguably the most successful young quarterback in the history of the NFL, a dazzling dual threat whose penchant for improvisation makes for incredibly entertaining football, thus adding to fanship. That team's defense, a benchmark of consistent dominance since halfway through the disappointing 2011 season, bears a secondary with a name - Legion of Boom, sharing the same rarefied air as other vaunted, nicknamed defensive units of yore. That team's defense frustrates, dominates, embarrasses, and humiliates the 49er offense at every opportunity, and does it with pride and enthusiasm. That team's fans feed on years of disrespect and disregard from the media and other fans, who reach for the tired, old, "but you gots no ringz bro" argument. That team won its first Super Bowl in historically dominant fashion, and appears poised and ready to win one or two more. That team is building a potential dynasty and looks to threaten the significance of the 49ers historic streak that happened oh, so long ago now, as it fades further and further from relevance.

Basically, in summation, we think you guys are a bunch of insecure jackasses who cling to past success as a means to disguise the truth you secretly acknowledge; your team has been on the decline for several seasons now and the upstart team in Seattle is diluting your legacy, and utterly destroying your chances at greater relevance in the modern era of football. The 70s had the Steelers, the 80s had the 49ers and Redskins, the 90s had the Cowboys and Broncos, the 2000s had the Patriots, and now we may have the Seahawks as the team everyone remembers years later, while the 49ers are remembered as the team that couldn't pull it together and fell victim to their own largely self-induced drama and hubris.

NINEster

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1ipuluu5 said:
Pure and simple, for me it's Kaepernick. I remember seeing an interview with him during the draft process, when the Hawks were in need of a future QB, and he was such a smug douchebag. I posted on here that if the Hawks took him, it would be the one thing that could test my fandom. I don't think I could have ever brought myself to cheer for him and his tiny, stupid head, with his big dumb ears tucked into his douchey flat bill cap.

Pre draft Kap?

Nah, I'm not buying that. There are videos of Kap even all the way up to late 2012 season as a starter where he doesn't come off annoying through the Harbaugh filter.

He's insecure and a bit immature but not a bad person.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
NINEster":3gx6tihc said:
Seanhawk":3gx6tihc said:
Pure and simple, for me it's Kaepernick. I remember seeing an interview with him during the draft process, when the Hawks were in need of a future QB, and he was such a smug douchebag. I posted on here that if the Hawks took him, it would be the one thing that could test my fandom. I don't think I could have ever brought myself to cheer for him and his tiny, stupid head, with his big dumb ears tucked into his douchey flat bill cap.

Pre draft Kap?

Nah, I'm not buying that. There are videos of Kap even all the way up to late 2012 season as a starter where he doesn't come off annoying through the Harbaugh filter.

He's insecure and a bit immature but not a bad person.

I actually liked the pre-draft Kaeperror. This was a guy who appeared happy and grateful for teams being interested in him. There were two other clips I caught from Kaeperror while at Nevada where he literally behaved like a gentleman, was complimentary to others and appeared to be having fun. THAT is what bothers me about the Niners KaeperPuss, he goes out of his way to be a POS. This is not the behavior of a starting QB in the NFL, maybe other postion player, but not QB.

NINEster

Reaction score
I agree that the " 5 rings ", "quest 4 six" stuff is entitled and annoying......but in the real world I don't know if it's being used that much.

I would never use it unless someone tried to crap on the franchise in a historic context.....and well, then you'd imagine how quickly that ammo would be used.

And I do think that on a subliminal level there will always be a bit of that hatred for the very successful dynasty teams. Look at the hatred for the Patriots the last 10-15 years or so. People hate Brady more than they should (IMHO), they dislike Belichick......everyone rooted against them in the first super bowl against the Giants..........EVEN ME (!!!)........my hatred for the NY Giants had died down quite a bit. Of course a few years later, when they met again in the Bowl, I swapped rooting interests.

As a history lesson, the Patriots did mostly nothing for decades.....got blown out in the bowl against the '85 Bears, went 1-15 in 1990, and fielded some decent teams throughout the '90s under Bledsoe. Nobody hated or cared about until Brady played in his SECOND SB (I rooted for the Pats to beat the Rams in '01).

I rooted for the Colts vs. Patriots like most did, but nowadays I couldn't care less ...if anything Peyton Manning annoys me now more than Brady and the Patriots. Patriots fans are somewhat invisible to me, but a few have a superiority complex with their coach and QB.

Of course I hated the Cowboys in the '90s, but are rather indifferent to them now -- an all time Niner rival dating back to the early '70s when the Niners were kept out of two consecutive Super Bowls a full decade before making their first one. They've been irrelevant as a SB winning team almost as long as the 49ers (and fewer seasons of strong success). The week 1 contest this year had none of that old rivalry feel.

Naturally there are a lot of fans that hate the Cowboys....both conferences, most divisions. Why? Because they have 5 Lombardis and played in 8 Super Bowls.

People hate the Steelers too. Similar reasons.

Fanbases of all of these teams have been accused of entitlement to some extent.

Can't say it's coincidental.

It's human nature.

And what Seattle has gone through recently.....well, SF didn't get any REAL respect until after winning their second SB 3 years after their first. From all accounts that I've read and heard from players, the early '80s 49ers were seen as a gimmicky team far more than these Seahawk teams have been. The classic blowout of the Cowboys in that '81 season was completely absent from Monday Night Football highlights the next day. After the Giants lost to the 49ers in the divisional round, the coach said "the Cowboys will win that game, they are the better team". Crap like that.

So 49er fans that were there when Montana first started getting into his groove can relate to everything you guys feel now.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Marvin49":2einc6n0 said:
RationalNiner":2einc6n0 said:
Why are we universally the most hated team of our division rivals? The Rams, I kind of understand, but even then, the battle of the west through some of the 2000s was mainly between the Rams and the Hawks. You ask a Rams fan and they mainly hate us. You ask a Seahawks fan, they generally us the most. You ask a cardinals fan and they generally hate us the most.

Why? Is it the fans or is it the fact the SF was once a dynasty during the Walsh/Seifert years? Just curious why? I've actually never bothered reading many of the forums of opposing teams, but do niner fans somehow come across as more annoying online than other fans?

Speaking honestly (and I know you weren't directing it at me), I think its not the success they hate. Its 49er fans beating them over the head with that success from 20-30 years ago....especially the ones who weren't even fans when the team was winning.

to be fair, sports fans have short term memory. i find it hard to believe that a fan hates the 9ers because of Joe Montana or Steve young or 5 super bowls or whatever.

They hate the 9ers because of Kaep and Harbaugh and the most recent success, just as much as many probably hate the Pats because of Brady more than Steve Grogan.

the Rams fell off the face of the earth after Holt, Bruce, Warner and Faulk. Ask any Seahawks fan and that team was universally the most hated for a good while.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
I know it's been said before but--put me in for hating the Niners due to "entitlement".

Seahawks (re)join the NFC West in 2002. Rams are the stud team, Cardinals are average, Niners suck, crickets chirping from North Cali. We have Holmgren, start to make noise, get some good banter back and forth between the Rams fans on Clanram. We win more NFC West divisions than we lose, great times. Cardinals rise up and have a few good years, same thing. Little smack talk, some good laughs. Ultimately all of us are long suffering fan bases that understand what it's like to hope every season that just ONCE, before I die, let me see my team raise the Lombardi. That shared comraderie of sticking with a team that may never give you that joy and having pride in your decision to not bandwagon somewhere else.

As soon as the Niners start to do well...BAM! Like cockroaches coming out of every crevice in a Mississippi shotgun shack. "5 rings", "taking back our divison", "your team is meaningless" blah blah blah blah. The arrogance, like we are BENEATH them as humans because we are loyal to a different team instead of the legendary 49ers!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":2tammljr said:
Honestly? I think it's because Niner fans are really insecure about the fact that their storied franchise has not won a Super Bowl in nearly 20 years, and they suddenly find themselves secretly envying the previously ringless team that has stolen their thunder. Niner fans secretly acknowledge that their team's roster is filled with aging superstars, and they have not had good drafts in several years, leaving the remainder of their roster stocked with replacement level players.

Niner fans are insecure about the fact that Colin Kaepernick is Fool's Gold, a backup level QB who was able to capitalize early on his athleticism, but lacks the mental makeup to be an effective leader when things don't go as planned. Niner fans are insecure about the fact that they have over invested themselves emotionally in the success of this immature, insecure, stylistically challenged, bicep kissing, skeezer chasing, emotionally fragile, closet Dolphins fan. Niner fans are insecure about the fact that their soon-to-be-fired coach's on-camera temper tantrums are secretly rather embarrassing to the entire fanbase, and is why he is likely getting the axe despite being a pretty damn decent coach. Niner fans are insecure about the fact their team laid a huge egg when it mattered most, in the ill-fated "Harbowl", a game that would have been one of the biggest Super Bowl blowouts in NFL history, were it not for a freak power outage. Niner fans are insecure about the fact that their Super Bowl window has been sliding shut since the "Harbowl", as their star players age without many promising rookies to succeed them. Niner fans are insecure about the fact they are now facing a dreadful rebuilding, and potential slide to mediocrity.

Meanwhile, that formerly irrelevant team from the Pacific Northwest has assembled a dream team of management, coaching, player development, and scouting personnel. That team which formerly had no big name players is now hitting on draft after draft, filling their roster to the brim with young superstars bearing colorful personalities and a hunger to win. That team's players are a little bit bigger, a little bit stronger, a little bit faster, and a whole lot younger. That team's head coach and quarterback have positive, media ready personalities. That team's charismatic young quarterback, a 3rd round bargain, first year starter, is arguably the most successful young quarterback in the history of the NFL, a dazzling dual threat whose penchant for improvisation makes for incredibly entertaining football, thus adding to fanship. That team's defense, a benchmark of consistent dominance since halfway through the disappointing 2011 season, bears a secondary with a name - Legion of Boom, sharing the same rarefied air as other vaunted, nicknamed defensive units of yore. That team's defense frustrates, dominates, embarrasses, and humiliates the 49er offense at every opportunity, and does it with pride and enthusiasm. That team's fans feed on years of disrespect and disregard from the media and other fans, who reach for the tired, old, "but you gots no ringz bro" argument. That team won its first Super Bowl in historically dominant fashion, and appears poised and ready to win one or two more. That team is building a potential dynasty and looks to threaten the significance of the 49ers historic streak that happened oh, so long ago now, as it fades further and further from relevance.

Basically, in summation, we think you guys are a bunch of insecure jackasses who cling to past success as a means to disguise the truth you secretly acknowledge; your team has been on the decline for several seasons now and the upstart team in Seattle is diluting your legacy, and utterly destroying your chances at greater relevance in the modern era of football. The 70s had the Steelers, the 80s had the 49ers and Redskins, the 90s had the Cowboys and Broncos, the 2000s had the Patriots, and now we may have the Seahawks as the team everyone remembers years later, while the 49ers are remembered as the team that couldn't pull it together and fell victim to their own largely self-induced drama and hubris.

Post of the year right there! Nicely done sir! :th2thumbs:

Ramfan128

Reaction score
I can't speak for the Cards and Seahawks fans, and I know you said you can kind of understand the Rams but....really??

Niners and Rams have played 131 times and have been in the same division since 1950. Seattle and Arizona didn't join this division until 2002. So we're dealing with two very different types of hate here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/49ers%E2%80%93Rams_rivalry

SF only leads the all time series by 2 games....that would surprise some people given how bad the Rams have been since the GSOT ended. I would respectfully hate the Niners, like I do the Seahawks, if not for SOSAR and the 17 game winning streak of the 90s.

I'm only 28 - so I don't even remember that. But I live and breathe Rams football. Seeing highlights of it pisses me off.

So that's it for me (and almost all Ram fans).

I think the Hawks and Cards came into a division, which has to be a strange happening, and developed some dislike for the Rams and Niners first off. The Hawks rose quickly and probably didn't care much for the Niners....I've seen several Hawk fans mention the infamous 3 game sweep of 2004/2005, which included perhaps my favorite Ram game of all time (down by 17 with 6 minutes to play and won). The year prior we clenched the NFC West by defeating them in STL...but all this was short lived as in 2005 they ascended and we began a freefall that we wouldn't recover from until........2015 maybe??

Then over the past 4 years, lighter fluid has been thrown on the Niner/Hawk rivalry: Harbaugh/Carrol - didn't exactly like one another in the Pac 12. Sherman/Baldwin and Harbaugh - former players of his. Both teams being good, and having stout defenses and solid running games, as well as mobile QBs who have been compared endlessly.

And then the Cardinals - they probably still hate the Cowboys more than any team lol.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Uncle Si":34bmxbkm said:
Marvin49":34bmxbkm said:
RationalNiner":34bmxbkm said:
Why are we universally the most hated team of our division rivals? The Rams, I kind of understand, but even then, the battle of the west through some of the 2000s was mainly between the Rams and the Hawks. You ask a Rams fan and they mainly hate us. You ask a Seahawks fan, they generally us the most. You ask a cardinals fan and they generally hate us the most.

Why? Is it the fans or is it the fact the SF was once a dynasty during the Walsh/Seifert years? Just curious why? I've actually never bothered reading many of the forums of opposing teams, but do niner fans somehow come across as more annoying online than other fans?

to be fair, sports fans have short term memory. i find it hard to believe that a fan hates the 9ers because of Joe Montana or Steve young or 5 super bowls or whatever.

They hate the 9ers because of Kaep and Harbaugh and the most recent success, just as much as many probably hate the Pats because of Brady more than Steve Grogan.

the Rams fell off the face of the earth after Holt, Bruce, Warner and Faulk. Ask any Seahawks fan and that team was universally the most hated for a good while.

Missed my point.

I don't think its the wins. I think its the fans that bring up the wins when they weren't even fans when the wins occurred.

chris98251

Reaction score
The 5 Super Bowls rubbed in everyones faces but the Steelers and Cowboys
The Seahawks have no history and have done nothing, more fodder for our quest for 6
The arrognace, cocky attitude and our crap don't stink since Harbaugh took over.

The 49ers seem to build a case around themselves to be disliked yearly, now the arrests, Kaep's demeanor and the lack of being able to lose with some class when your beaten.

You were better with Singletary showing his ass, at least that could be laughed off.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Cowboy fans are just as bad when it comes to touting titles earned over 20 years ago. The difference is the cowboys aren't the Seahawk rivals. So there's less of them here , thankfully.