QB Geno Smith Visiting Seahawks ( Signs With Chargers)

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
adeltaY":89czv3cc said:
What QB in the league would remove himself form the game voluntarily if he was having an off day so his backup could play? Has this ever happened? Should Russell have removed himself from the NFC Championship when he threw four picks?

How in the world is backup QB our most important need? If our backup QB was as good or better than Russell then we should just trade Wilson for draft picks and play the rookie. He'd be a franchise QB if he was that good.

Exactly. With all the issues this team has, people are worried about the back up QB? Wow.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
If we are going to ask Russell to be 85% of the offense while "protecting" him with stank line then we should invest in a back up plan because the odds are pretty good that he will eventually get popped. Mark me down for the Patriot plan.

chris98251

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3drs1w2w said:
If we are going to ask Russell to be 85% of the offense while "protecting" him with stank line then we should invest in a back up plan because the odds are pretty good that he will eventually get popped. Mark me down for the Patriot plan.

Don't you know that once your QB goes down you throw in the towel on the season, much like the Eagles and Vikings did last year. The experts here have said so. :stirthepot:

SeaChat

Reaction score
adeltaY":19rvii58 said:
What QB in the league would remove himself form the game voluntarily if he was having an off day so his backup could play? Has this ever happened? Should Russell have removed himself from the NFC Championship when he threw four picks?

How in the world is backup QB our most important need? If our backup QB was as good or better than Russell then we should just trade Wilson for draft picks and play the rookie. He'd be a franchise QB if he was that good.

Now don’t go putting words in my mouth, I didn’t say the backup QB was the most important need, I only said that we needed to take that position seriously and pick someone that can actually do the job, if Russell goes down and out. Your right it’s the coaches job to recognize when his QB is involved in a train wreck day, and either figure out how to pull him out of it or “pull him out”.

I also realize it’s about the last thing a coach ever wants to do because QBs have a tendency to interpret that as a loss of confidence by his team, and then God forbid, his backup does get us out of there with an impressive win, they worry they might lose their job to the backup.

When Russell is having one of those kind of days, rare as they may be, he usually doesn’t reverse out of it and seems to only get worse as the game wears on. When he is having one of his sick days it usually ends with a record breaking defeat, that leaves the rest of the team, feeling emotionally defeated and embarrassed. The fans are generally lined up to vent their embarrassment and disappointment on the coaches and players as well.

We have all sat in this forum following one of these sort of games, and it sure ain’t pretty. In conclusion, if for whatever reason is pulled out of a game, or God forbid games, we better damn well have something in the wings that can get out there and lead this team thru the rest of the game, games or season.

Hiring someone who can fill in for the loss of Russell Wilson, is not the same as it might be for a lot of other teams. When you build a machine centered around the skills of one man like the Seahawks have done, you need someone of matched caliber and pedigree to fill his shoes, and not some mediocre QB we stuffed in the roster to save a buck, praying that we never have to bring him in for more than a play or two. If we are going to do that just sign Doug Baldwin to a second contract position, not to say that Doug is mediocre, but you get my drift.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I get your point that the backup QB should be good, but the amount of capital we'd have to invest to get someone like Allen is so high that it wouldn't make sense IMO. The Chiefs did something close to what you're suggesting last year, but it was clear they were fully committed to moving on from Alex Smith after this year. Russell Wilson is much better than Alex Smith and I don't see the Seahawks trading him.

I also disagree that Russ doesn't improve on lousy starts. The 2017 narrative is that he was crap in the first three quarters and amazing in the fourth, which was true this year. Both Niners games this year he was bad and then turned it on to get us both wins. The Jags game he was bad and then lit them up and had us in position to drive down for the win but for an uncalled hold on Paul Richardson that cost us. The Titans game was a mess, but he threw for 370+ yards and 4 TDs, but unfortunately the defense also collapsed that game. The Colts game was similar - nothing going in the first half and then an offensive explosion in the second. Honestly, if there's one thing you can say about Russell Wilson, it's that he overcomes bad starts.

chris98251

Reaction score
You blame Wilson for bad starts, I blame bad game planning to get things started, we will see if that changes with a new OC.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I don't blame Wilson, I'm just talking about the stats and the narrative. I've defended him pretty consistently, especially given his career numbers don't match up to the "he sucks til the fourth quarter" notion.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":7cbgeytw said:
chawx":7cbgeytw said:

Y'all need to sign Kaepernick so my avatar can finally become a reality...

This, of course, has been my dream since Frodo was drafted in the 3rd round. Can you imagine? What if Kap gives him a piggy back ride? It would be a hobbit* riding a giraffe.

*And he's definitely a hobbit: he's short, he has One Ring, and if he went to Mordor he'd slip right through their grasps like he had an elvish cloak of invisibility...

Unfortunately.....that is Gollum sitting next to Frodo.

purpleneer

Reaction score
adeltaY":18zr3lrh said:
I get your point that the backup QB should be good, but the amount of capital we'd have to invest to get someone like Allen is so high that it wouldn't make sense IMO. The Chiefs did something close to what you're suggesting last year, but it was clear they were fully committed to moving on from Alex Smith after this year. Russell Wilson is much better than Alex Smith and I don't see the Seahawks trading him.

I also disagree that Russ doesn't improve on lousy starts. The 2017 narrative is that he was crap in the first three quarters and amazing in the fourth, which was true this year. Both Niners games this year he was bad and then turned it on to get us both wins. The Jags game he was bad and then lit them up and had us in position to drive down for the win but for an uncalled hold on Paul Richardson that cost us. The Titans game was a mess, but he threw for 370+ yards and 4 TDs, but unfortunately the defense also collapsed that game. The Colts game was similar - nothing going in the first half and then an offensive explosion in the second. Honestly, if there's one thing you can say about Russell Wilson, it's that he overcomes bad starts.
Absolutely true that Wilson finishes strong after bad starts sometimes, but quite a few of those have still been losses because of the bad start and what it does to the defense. I'd actually attribute most of the bad starts to the overly concerned about turnovers, under concerned about repeated 3-and-outs attitude and the lack of a true offensive authority handicapping the OC with Cable's stale system and treating the preferred means like they were instead the goal.
As far as how to get that backup, moving up in the first doesn't make sense, but I would consider the right guy earlier than most (considering inherent roster limitations and that we shouldn't want too many rookies, potential future value, and the fact that no pick area is as sure of a thing as many think). And I'm just talking about having a guy who doesn't make us afraid to sit Russ for a week or even just a half so he can actually get healthy when he needs to. Even with Boykin, I was saying (and haven't changed my mind) that they should have sat Russ against the Jets. It wouldn't take much quality to make a spot start like that make sense.