QB Geno Smith Visiting Seahawks ( Signs With Chargers)

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Please keep in mind he would be a back up, not a starter. At least he wouldn't come with a circus like Kaep, Tebow, or Johnny Money.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2kvtxm83 said:
I honestly don't care who the backup is. If RW goes down we aren't winning many games regardless of who the backup is.

Exactly right Hawk-Lock. Whoever comes in to be the backup QB is someone who hope never sees the field. If Wilson goes down, then yeah, the season would appear to be pretty much a wash.

On the other hand... ask Eagles fans just how important Nick Foles was last year. Ask Bills fans just how important Frank Reich was. So, backup QB's can and have made a significant impact before.

In a backup, you ideally want someone who can work well with your starting QB -- someone who will not just hold the clipboard, but more importantly be that guy who can be a 2nd QB coach (if you will). You want a guy who can read defenses from afar ... see what it is that they're trying to do ... and then effectively be able to communicate that to the coaching staff and to Russell Wilson. You want someone who can compete too, who will push Russell Wilson, and put a little pressure on Wilson to be the best he can be. 99% of the time that's the main job of the backup QB.

Ideally though, you DO want a guy who can win you a game or two if need be because as the Eagles showed once again last year ... you never know when you might actually need him.

Seymour

Reaction score
The most important question I have is....how is his penmanship??

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I prefer how the Patriots approach things.

Since the Patriots are smarter and have had more success - it MIGHT be a better idea to follow their example than say, how the Miami Dolphins or Bills approach things.

The advantage of bringing in a rookie QB that you can groom to take over if need be, is that you can potentially use that same QB as trade later on. Hell, even Kessler got traded.

There are a number of QBs that are available and will be available in the later rounds. That would be a better approach.

(As Vin pointed out there is one that might be there and players that tend to shine in the Senior Bowl have an interesting habit of turning into pretty good players later. )

Yes, we were sort of on that track with Boykin but remember that Boykin was the same guy that screwed up right before a bowl game. It was clear that priorities and judgement were going to be an issue (2 things that supposedly you want a QB to be good at?), and should have been a red flag. But, they took a flyer on a risk - it did not work out. That does not mean the approach is not valid.

It seems a much better move to get a QB that can potentially turn into trade capital later than a barely useful journeyman that isn't really going to help you on game days anyway. While I am very excited about potentially losing Austin Davis, not sure this is not a lateral move if we get Smith.

mikeak

Reaction score
I am in the camp that I think Geno never got the chances that he should have gotten.

He was on a BAD Jets team followed by a bad Giants team

The incident where he got punched in the face derailed the one season where he could have proven if he was good player or not

Sure after this many years in the league we know that he will never be a star, but I don't know that we know if he is a serviceable backup or not....

original poster

Reaction score
They could honesty bring in the QB from the Napoleon Dynamite film for all I care.

Seymour

Reaction score
original poster":1rdtnswg said:
They could honesty bring in the QB from the Napoleon Dynamite film for all I care.

Done deal!! :2thumbs:

Ff52722eb22d5e54c08761757c67ead8

Cyrus12

Reaction score
We will sign whoever takes the cheapest money. No way they throw anymore than a million at a back up QB.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Cyrus12":5v2k8mlf said:
We will sign whoever takes the cheapest money. No way they throw anymore than a million at a back up QB.

So a rookie then. I guess there might be a #2 QB in the NFL who is not on a rookie deal and is making less than a million, but I can’t think of one.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/980607053608583168[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/980606622224527360[/tweet]

purpleneer

Reaction score
I am flabbergasted at both the thought and the reasons behind it of the backup QB not mattering.
First, the idea that a backup can't even prevent one loss in the best of circumstances or that as little as one game can be worth caring about. It is especially appalling to see this sentiment from the fans of a franchise with such a history of using HFA to achieve all 3 of their Super Bowl appearances. Do people really think the Hawks don't have a win in their recent run that had a chance of happening with someone like Foles or Keenum? Have people not noticed that at least one loss might have been avoided by having a healthier Russ? Was Philly not widely considered dependent on Wentz?
Next, it doesn't surprise me to see/hear national media say something akin to Russ deserves all the credit for any Hawks success, but when Hawk fans say it (I confess to a big ego when it comes to football understanding and being judgmental) I feel for certain that they don't know what they're talking about. Even this past season included a win in which the offense benefited from 5 turnovers and still had no claim to say they even carried their weight; do people really think Russ played well in LA or there isn't a backup around who had a chance with this team in that game or against the 9ers, Giants, or Colts? Do people watch it all and say the good is all Russ and all the struggles are proof that nobody else on the team can play?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Were you a ball of nerves last season when Boykin and Davis were our backups? Yeah, me neither. 98% of NFL teams have a crappy backup QB. How often does Wilson get sidelined with injuries? Not a huge priority. Davis was a backup last season and he'll do just fine in that same role this season.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
chawx":1redvd0d said:

Y'all need to sign Kaepernick so my avatar can finally become a reality...

This, of course, has been my dream since Frodo was drafted in the 3rd round. Can you imagine? What if Kap gives him a piggy back ride? It would be a hobbit* riding a giraffe.

*And he's definitely a hobbit: he's short, he has One Ring, and if he went to Mordor he'd slip right through their grasps like he had an elvish cloak of invisibility...

SeaChat

Reaction score
purpleneer":3bavg354 said:
I am flabbergasted at both the thought and the reasons behind it of the backup QB not mattering.
First, the idea that a backup can't even prevent one loss in the best of circumstances or that as little as one game can be worth caring about. It is especially appalling to see this sentiment from the fans of a franchise with such a history of using HFA to achieve all 3 of their Super Bowl appearances. Do people really think the Hawks don't have a win in their recent run that had a chance of happening with someone like Foles or Keenum? Have people not noticed that at least one loss might have been avoided by having a healthier Russ? Was Philly not widely considered dependent on Wentz?
Next, it doesn't surprise me to see/hear national media say something akin to Russ deserves all the credit for any Hawks success, but when Hawk fans say it (I confess to a big ego when it comes to football understanding and being judgmental) I feel for certain that they don't know what they're talking about. Even this past season included a win in which the offense benefited from 5 turnovers and still had no claim to say they even carried their weight; do people really think Russ played well in LA or there isn't a backup around who had a chance with this team in that game or against the 9ers, Giants, or Colts? Do people watch it all and say the good is all Russ and all the struggles are proof that nobody else on the team can play?

Nice post. I wholeheartedly agree, that while Russell Wilson has proven himself to be a valuable asset to his team, he is not the entire team, and when he’s having a bad day, he really has a bad day. Somehow, someway, even on those days, he sometimes manages to pull himself out of it and saves the day, but not without the heart and soul, belief, trust, and all out effort of the rest of the team.
I think one of Russell’s greatest detriments, is his believing half the exaggerated crap the NFL media talking heads have to say about him, and who try to paint him as a one man football team, who does it all himself. All wins are credited to him, all losses were the result of his teammates playing substandard football and letting him down.

I love Russell Wilson, I really do, his arrival in Seattle turned the Seahawks into the team I always dreamed and believed it could be. Mostly because of his belief in himself, and his full on belief that it was his destiny to lead this team to multiple Super Bowl Championships, and I for one believe he still will. He has matured, and “Thank God” finally pulled his head out of the heavenly clouds and gotten his feet back on the ground, long enough to once again, become of some earthly good.

I would love for Russell to put his team ahead of himself when he is having one of his totally suck days, and let his backup get us to the win, instead of riding his determination and belief he can win it, right down to the last loosing second left on the time clock. I guess he’s watched enough to know that if you do that too often in the NFL you can find yourself taking a backup to your own backup, if they happen to also be talented and capable as he is. That said is exactly why the Seahawks do need to secure a “real and fully capable backup Quarter Back, that is as good or even better than Russell is”.

I am a tried and true believer in Pete Carroll’s compete for your position philosophy, and it seems to prove itself out as a winning formula time and again, but with that said, as spectators we can all see that philosophy applies to most players and positions, but not all, and if you look back over the past couple of seasons, it’s those exceptions that have proven to work against us instead of for us.

I think the choices we make for our backup Quarterback is maybe more important to our success than any other position on our roster. A mediocre QB won’t lead us to the playoffs, or to a Super Bowl championship. It’s exactly why we need to fill this vacancy with a proven, fully capable QB like Colin Kaepernick, or what appears to be a fit as a Quarterback out of the draft, like for instance, Josh Allen, LMAO, bet no one saw that coming out my mouth, LOL. I’m probably totally out to lunch on my take on this prospect, but over the years I have found myself seeing a college player who I’m all but positive is a fit for the Seahawks, and that is what I see in Josh Allen. It’s not anything in particular, just the whole package.

Kind of like how I feel about the prospect of drafting, Shaquem Griffin, who has a contagious, infectious heart and soul determination and belief embedded in him, that no one can deny nor diminish, that I might add, is big enough to spread out across the entire Pacific Northwest, I have always maintained that the Seahawks are an emotionally fueled team, that thrives when its core spirit is fed by folks like Pete Carroll, Russell Wilson, and personalities like them. I guess only time will tell, I for one “ Still Believe”! Sorry for straying a little off topic at the end.

adeltaY

Reaction score
What QB in the league would remove himself form the game voluntarily if he was having an off day so his backup could play? Has this ever happened? Should Russell have removed himself from the NFC Championship when he threw four picks?

How in the world is backup QB our most important need? If our backup QB was as good or better than Russell then we should just trade Wilson for draft picks and play the rookie. He'd be a franchise QB if he was that good.