Q&A with Saints Fans/Seahawks-Saints Game Preview ...

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
Saints33":1oxd31h7 said:
BleedGreenNblue":1oxd31h7 said:
i watched the Jets tear bree's apart. This is no contest. I believe the saints will give us their "best shot" but will fall short. Who cares about about MNF records or if were at home. I expect a sharp seattle team. the Saints will Blitz every play like everyone does now and we will counter

He threw for nearly 400 yards and 1 of the 2 int bounced off an open receivers hands

This is true. And besides, the Saints are not only tied for the lead in the NFL for sacks, but they are doing it by sending less than five. You will seldom see the same defensive alignment in a series of downs. They are not truly blitzes but vastly differing assignments. The success Wilson has seen is coming off base defense blitzes leaving man coverage. Ryan will commonly bring four with two being DB's and or LB's with seven still in coverage.

bigbrod81

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":3sia7d81 said:
2) According to the numbers, the Saints Defense has allowed 11 runs that have gone for 20 Yards or more (tied for 3rd most in the NFL). Again, I'd love to hear comments, thoughts, and possible reasons behind that stat. On the surface, it looks like the Saints Defense has at times been susceptible to defensive breakdowns in run coverage/tackling/etc.

One reason for this were injuries up front to the defensive line. DE Glenn Foster missed several games due to an ankle injury that occurred during preseason. Foster was hurt in the last game against the Falcons but until the injury reports come out this week, nobody will have any idea how serious his injury was. NT Brodrick Bunkley was out a few games after injuring his calf in the opener against Atlanta. Cam Jordan & Akiem Hicks have been banged up as well that has weighed into their effectiveness at times. In the last 3 games, Hicks & Jordan appear healthy & back to their normal playing level.

The stretch where both Roman Harper & Malcolm Jenkins missed games with injuries played into some of those long runs. During their absence, back up safety Raphael Bush at times took some bad angles coming up to help in run support. One I vividly remember was during the Jets game which allowed Chris Ivory to break off a 50+ yard run. Both Jenkins & Harper are back in the line up now & Bush has gone back to playing mostly on special teams. Seahawk fans should know the importance of safety play in run support with how well Earl Thomas & Kam Chancellor come up & fill running lanes in run support.

Axx

Reaction score
the 12th gram is going to have to go all out for monday night football

bigbrod81

Reaction score
BleedGreenNblue":10ohnhkc said:
i watched the Jets tear bree's apart. This is no contest. I believe the saints will give us their "best shot" but will fall short. Who cares about about MNF records or if were at home. I expect a sharp seattle team. the Saints will Blitz every play like everyone does now and we will counter

The Jets didn't "tear" Brees apart. The Saints didn't even attempt to run the ball at that game. The offense had only 12 rushes that game. The downfall of throwing as much as Brees did (51 Attempts) was that it allowed the Jets to pin their ears back & bring multiple pressure packages on 3rd & long downs. It also didn't help that Darren Sproles left that game in the 1st Quarter with a concussion.

During training camp, Sean Payton, decided to go to more of a zone blocking scheme in attempt to get more of "home run" runs in the ground game. It sounded great in thinking but for much of the first half of the season, the Saints offensive lineman struggled with the zone blocking scheme. After the Jets game, Payton said that he was making it a must to improve the running & committing to more attempts. With that, Payton scrapped the zone blocking scheme & went back to power, hat on a hat run blocking. So far it has paid dividends.

As far as the Saints blitzing the Seahawks every offensive play, I'm sorry that's not realistically going to happen. This isn't Gregg Williams defense anymore. Ryan will blitz but he will pick & chose the right time to use them. One of the biggest assets that Ryan has brought to the Saints defense is his ability to disguise his blitzes presnap, in terms of who is blitzing CB, S or LB wise.

The ability for Wilson & the Seahawks O-Line to recognize these blitzes especially on 3rd & longs will be crucial for the Seahawks in trying to keep drives alive. The same goes for Brees & the Saints O-Line. One thing I noticed about the Seahawks is that they use multiple looks up front & multiple personnel groupings on defense to cause confusion & pressure.

The one thing in your post that I agree with is that Seattle will be sharp. I expect the Saints to be sharp too. Neither team is going to come out flat with what it is at stake in this game.

BadFish

Reaction score

Did you just put "best shot" in quotations? Like we are the Jaguars trying to salvage our season with a moral victory? Sean Payton and Drew Brees have already solidified our championship pedigree... so try and act like a knowledgable NFL fan.

Did you watch the Jets game? If you had then you would know it was a breakdown of our offensive line that cost us that game. The adjustments have been made so don't expect your juiced up pass rushers to have the same success.

I love how it's week 12 and our defense still is not being respected. We Blitz every down? You clearly haven't watched the Saints play this season. We play scheme in Ryan's defense and rely on our front four to get pressure. If you don't know who Cameron Jordan is, I guarantee you that you will after MNF. He is unblock-able, and will be in the backfield all game. Some of y'all are in for a rude awakening from our defense. If this becomes a defensive battle then Seattle loses more times than not.

I have read this whole thread and was coming in peace until I read this last post. Although most posts are long winded and watered down, you guys have a respect and realization that the Saints are one of the best teams in recent years, and vice versa. For those of you with the blinders on and can't get past how "awesome" your own team is, just remember that we are the team with the hall of fame QB that is coached by Sean Payton. We are the ones that have matchup nightmares in Graham and Sproles. And whether you choose to acknowledge it or not our defense is for real.

After y'all devastated what I thought was our best Saints team ever in the 2011 playoffs... you can bet we are coming to claim the top spot in the NFC!

bigbrod81

Reaction score
After y'all devastated what I thought was our best Saints team ever in the 2011 playoffs... you can bet we are coming to claim the top spot in the NFC!

C'mon man. The Saints lost to Seattle in the Wild Card round of the 2010 playoffs. 2011 was the last minute loss to the 49ers & Gregg Williams last game as Saints DC. :pukeface:

Number9

Reaction score
BadFish":3tiimsid said:
Did you just put "best shot" in quotations? Like we are the Jaguars trying to salvage our season with a moral victory? Sean Payton and Drew Brees have already solidified our championship pedigree... so try and act like a knowledgable NFL fan.

Did you watch the Jets game? If you had then you would know it was a breakdown of our offensive line that cost us that game. The adjustments have been made so don't expect your juiced up pass rushers to have the same success.

I love how it's week 12 and our defense still is not being respected. We Blitz every down? You clearly haven't watched the Saints play this season. We play scheme in Ryan's defense and rely on our front four to get pressure. If you don't know who Cameron Jordan is, I guarantee you that you will after MNF. He is unblock-able, and will be in the backfield all game. Some of y'all are in for a rude awakening from our defense. If this becomes a defensive battle then Seattle loses more times than not.

I have read this whole thread and was coming in peace until I read this last post. Although most posts are long winded and watered down, you guys have a respect and realization that the Saints are one of the best teams in recent years, and vice versa. For those of you with the blinders on and can't get past how "awesome" your own team is, just remember that we are the team with the hall of fame QB that is coached by Sean Payton. We are the ones that have matchup nightmares in Graham and Sproles. And whether you choose to acknowledge it or not our defense is for real.

Relax, guy. Every fan forum has their homers, and you should know that nothing you say will convince them otherwise. In any case, this thread has been pretty civil thus far. Let's try and keep it that way. Who dat!

BadFish

Reaction score
bigbrod81":2cxbvnij said:

C'mon man. The Saints lost to Seattle in the Wild Card round of the 2010 playoffs. 2011 was the last minute loss to the 49ers & Gregg Williams last game as Saints DC. :pukeface:

Yeah I meant 2010. Both devastating losses though.

One team down. One to go.

starbuck2907

Reaction score
BleedGreenNblue":3ey0jebz said:

Actually, I've been very surprised by how rarely Rob Ryan blitzes. Greg Williams, our previous DC, basically blitzed as much as possible. One of the things that I've been VERY pleased with as a fan is that Ryan seems to have made our defense more solid and stick to the basics. We used to "hit hard" but never tackle properly. We used to blitz all the time, but not be that great if the blitz didn't result in a turnover. Our D has generally gotten more solid and competent at the basic fundamentals, which has resulted in less need for constant blitzes.

Don't get me wrong, Rob Ryan does send the blitzes, but just not nearly as often as we used to under a guy like Greg Williams.

As an aside, the Jets was just a bad game for us. No long explanation necessary, we just didn't play to our potential and they played well.

jafo

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2s2qg5lv said:
Great stuff Saints Fans [Huge round of applause from me]. THAT's the way to step up there. Cool read.

Alright, a couple more questions off the top of my head.

Looking at the stats heading in to this game, there are a couple of interesting numbers that I'd love to get your comments/thoughts on ...

1) Looking at Drew Brees's splits, we find the following ...

QB Rating at Home ... 122.2
QB Rating on the Road ... 89.7

That's an apparent huge discrepancy (though I know that stats can tend to lie). Explanations/thoughts/comments?

2) According to the numbers, the Saints Defense has allowed 11 runs that have gone for 20 Yards or more (tied for 3rd most in the NFL). Again, I'd love to hear comments, thoughts, and possible reasons behind that stat. On the surface, it looks like the Saints Defense has at times been susceptible to defensive breakdowns in run coverage/tackling/etc.

First let me say that why I love Drew I also tend to be more critical of him than other saints fans.

Unfortunately for us I think Drew struggles a bit in wind and rain (which may suck for us because next Monday we will probably get both) and I think a lot of it is mental. Drew may make some mistakes but he is so darned competitive that he makes up for most of those. TB was a classic example of this.......thanks to Drew's ints the yucs had the lead but then he got the ball back late and drove us down for a game winning fg.

One thing about those stats is this..........Sproles got hurt in the first two minutes against the jets and didn't return.........Graham got hurt against NE (we were flat out hosed in that game.........worst officiating since your SB). Colston was also out against the jets and Nick Toon filled in but cost us 14 points against the jets. I expect all of those guys to be a go next week and I would be surprised if Toon sees the field at all.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
citysaint":1m1u13pd said:
How much of a "DVOA" point drop is it losing Browner and Thurmond in the passing game. This is a major major blow to Seattle.

I wanted to add on a bit to what I'd written about your question earlier. You asked how much of a blow Thurmond's and Browner's losses could be to Seattle. I would submit to you that in reality, the Seahawks may not feel the effects of their absence all that much. What!?! I hear people saying. He's absolutely nuts. On the surface, it would appear so. Let me explain and give some context ...

Your question at its heart really has a lot to do with player evaluation and how the Seahawks have done in that arena. When Pete Carroll and GM John Schneider were first hired, there was naturally a great deal of skepticism about those two and their vision for this team. Hugh Millen, former Husky and NFL QB for the Patriots, Falcons, and Broncos has affectionately called the Seahawks Defense, "The Land of Misfit Toys." That's because what the Seahawks do doesn't fit the conventional mold. They often take other people's castoffs ... guys that may get overlooked or even cut by other teams (but have certain skills) and turn them in to very productive players. Carroll came in with seemingly crazy ideas (especially about defense) that seemed like utter madness to many locally. Red Bryant was on the verge of being cut -- a guy who didn't fit the normal NFL mold of what a DE should be. He took one look at him and felt he would be ideal for a position he called the "Elephant", a run stuffing DE who plays at the 5 Technique. Bryant went from on his way out to being one of the true anchors of this defense. They trade DE Darryl Tapp (a very productive and talented end whom then defensive line coach Dan Quinn called, "a spinning ball of blades") for a 4th Round pick and Chris Clemons (a then 28 year old who had bounced around and never truly made it in the NFL). All he becomes is their best pass rusher. They trade away CB Josh Wilson (a scrappy, very talented corner) and bring in guys like Brandon Browner, who was an All Star in the CFL. All he does is become one of Seattle's best corners and again, a real anchor, as his physical style of play really lends well to what Carroll believes in. The 2012 NFL Draft -- many national experts out there were laughing afterwards, giving Seattle D's and F's and calling it one of the very worst in the NFL. Months later, many of those same guys (Mel Kiper included) embarassedly re-graded Seattle and were giving them A's. You see, this coaching staff and GM doesn't look at a player and say, "Well, he can't do this and he can't do that ... therefore, he's useless." Instead, they look at a player and say, "What CAN he do? What outstanding tools does he possess?" They look for guys that may only have 1 or 2 outstanding tools ... and then construct an entire puzzle with guys that are complimentary pieces.

That kind of thing has become typical for this regime. Where once Seattle fans were by in large skeptical, they now by in large trust that, "If Pete and John think it's the right move -- it's definitely the right move." And by in large they have been generally right. Where rival GM's around the NFL once laughed and shook their heads at Seattle's approach to scouting and the NFL Draft ... NOW if the Hawks draft a guy seemingly out of the blue (a What The *&%@ kind of move), they are often saying to themselves, "OK, what did we miss on this guy?" Take for example the Seahawks 5th Round pick this year from Rice, TE Luke Willson. On the season, Willson has 12 Catches for 170 yards, has shown decent blocking, and appears (given time) that he will be a quality TE in this league. What's intriguing about Willson is that the 49ers drafted his teammate, Vance McDonald, who was the starter at Rice last year (Willson was his backup) in the 2nd Round this year. On the season, McDonald has only 7 Catches for 96 yards. Same team -- yet the backup is the one having the apparently better season. You see, Seattle didn't just consider Willson's final year at Rice ... they looked at his entire makeup and body of work, noting that Willson WAS the starter, but had lost his job due to injuries his Senior Year and that he had a very good year in 2011.

And Seattle has an impressive scouting staff, which includes former 49ers GM Scot McCloughan, who was responsible for drafting 11 of the 22 starters on San Francisco's team last year including: Frank Gore, Dashon Goldson, Justin Smith, Joe Staley, and Patrick Willis. These guys (as a whole) are some of the very best talent evaluators I've ever seen. They are (in the words of John Schneider) "Everywhere and in on everything." That is no joke. A 5th or 6th Round Pick in the hands of John Schneider is honestly like a 2nd round pick in the hands of your average GM. They find tons of very talented guys in those later rounds (and as UDFA's -- Doug Baldwin for one) who have become stars for this team.

So, there's some background for you.

Anyway, back to the corner position specifically -- let's go back to October 2011. Walter Thurmond went down with a broken fibula and severely injured ankle and was placed on IR. The team was already reeling from the loss of CB Marcus Trufant (who was considered the Seahawks best CB at the time). So, it was next man up time. And who did they happen to insert in to the lineup. Eh, some no name Rookie who was taken in the 5th Round that year out of Stanford -- Richard Sherman. Perhaps you've heard of him. Trufant got Wally Pipped and never got his starting job back, as CB play improved overall with Sherman at the helm.

Last season, Brandon Browner was suspended for the remaining 4 games of the season for violating the NFL's PED policy at the start of December. Then, Walter Thurmond went down with a hamstring injury and was lost for the final 3 games of the regular season. Seahawk fans were saying the exact same thing last year, "What are we going to do?" Next man up -- enter Jeremy Lane and Byron Maxwell (both drafted in the 6th Round by Seattle -- Maxwell in 2011 and Lane was a Rookie last year). Both guys are very physical, have nice instincts, are fast, and played great down the stretch including that 42-13 whooping of the 49ers in Seattle last year. Neither Browner nor Thurmond played in that 49er game ... and Seattle won all 3 games with those guys at the helm. As I said, Seattle has quality depth at the position.

So, long answer to say that even with Browner seemingly being lost forever and Thurmond for the foreseeable future, Seattle fans are fairly confident that Maxwell, Lane, and either Deshawn Shead (who is 6'1" 220 pounds and several are calling a Browner clone) or Antoine Winfield (if Schneider decides to bring him in) will do just fine.

Edit to add:

There's another in-house CB candidate that I forgot to mention (can't believe I forgot, as I've been one of the ones somewhat on his bandwagon) -- and that would be former LSU Tiger Tharold Simon (another of Seattle's 5th Round choices this year). Simon is another guy whom we know the coaching staff is high on and like a lot of the characters Pete Carroll brings in, has some blights on his resume. Simon saw his stock drop a bit in the draft, as the night before the draft he was arrested for allegedly intimidating police in his hometown of Eunice, Louisiana. Mainly though, his stock dropped because he ran a 4.51 at the combine. At his Pro Day however, he ended up running a 4.39. Like everyone else Carroll goes after, Simon is a very physical, fearless, and aggressive defender who has good instincts for the football. At 6'3" 202 pounds, he is exactly the kind of corner that Carroll and the Seahawks usually look for. Simon was placed on the PUP List after he fractured his foot in spring practices. He just started practicing recently however -- and per NFL rules, once a player starts practicing the team has 21 days to either activate that player and elevate him to the active roster ... OR else he must remain on the PUP List and be lost for the remainder of the season. Now, many people have been wondering (up until this point) why the Hawks hadn't made any kind of move with Brandon Browner, as he has a severe groin pull that some have whispered is so bad that they believe would eventually land him on IR. The conspiracy theorist in me wondered if this 21 Day window for Tharold Simon might not have had something to do with why they hadn't made a move. In essence, if Simon looked like he was ready to go at the end of that 21 Day Window (and Browner still hadn't healed up) -- the Seahawks look to place him on IR at that point with Simon taking his spot. That WAS the theory a few days ago. Still, Simon is another in house candidate to keep an eye on for sure (obviously not for this game, but possibly for the remainder of the season).

So in conclusion, the Hawks have a lot of options they are certainly weighing at this time.

Zorn76

Reaction score
In the end, all Saints fans really need to know is, among other things, that the Seahawks are as mentally tough as any team in the league right now.

NOBODY, especially at The Clink, is going to intimidate them. Seattle is also 5-1 on the road, a Huge step in the right direction from 2012.

I like Drew Brees and what New Orleans has done defensively this year. But on the road, Sean Payton's boys are not nearly as effective. Their game in Atlanta revealed plenty, and the Seahawks are too good at The Clink.

Seattle, 31 - 23.

Number9

Reaction score
Zorn76":38qsnvqx said:
But on the road, Sean Payton's boys are not nearly as effective.

I'll agree that we are often not our dominate selves on the road, but that doesn't equate to losses. We may have struggles against teams on the road, but we more often than not pull out a win. As it has been said before, the Saints are still one of the best road teams in the league since 2006.

Zorn76":38qsnvqx said:
Their game in Atlanta revealed plenty, and the Seahawks are too good at The Clink.

I wouldn't use that game as any measuring stick. As someone mentioned before, Atlanta has played us close for 20 years. The team even stated multiple times before game day that you can throw records out the window for that game. Atlanta played us like it was their Super Bowl. We always get their best shot due to the rivalry. Also, the Saints were coming off a short week having just played the 49ers and losing our starting cornerback Jabari Greer to a leg injury. The Falcons primarily picked on his replacement (Corey White) until the Saints could make adjustments.

Mindsink

Reaction score
Why are people touting Rob Ryan as this supreme master of defensive coordinators? Yes, their defense is better with him coaching it. But guess what, their WHOLE TEAM is better with Sean Payton coaching. I think that's as much of a factor as anything that Rob Ryan has injected into this team.

Also, take a look at last year's Cowboys. Rob Ryan had arguably better personnel (e.g. Cameron Jordan is good, but he's not Demarcus Ware), and had less success as they were regularly torched for big yardage in games.

Speaking of which...in week 2 of last year, our offense faced this very defense led by Rob Ryan. We rushed for 182 yards. Russell Wilson (in only his 2nd start) completed 75% of his passes and threw zero INTs. Oh, and we have more offensive weapons now.

I'm not guaranteeing victory by any means, but I wouldn't be all that confident about this game if I were a Saints fan.

Number9

Reaction score
Mindsink":b7njz8qd said:
Why are people touting Rob Ryan as this supreme master of defensive coordinators? Yes, their defense is better with him coaching it. But guess what, their WHOLE TEAM is better with Sean Payton coaching. I think that's as much of a factor as anything that Rob Ryan has injected into this team.

Also, take a look at last year's Cowboys. Rob Ryan had arguably better personnel (e.g. Cameron Jordan is good, but he's not Demarcus Ware), and had less success as they were regularly torched for big yardage in games.

Speaking of which...in week 2 of last year, our offense faced this very defense led by Rob Ryan. We rushed for 182 yards. Russell Wilson (in only his 2nd start) completed 75% of his passes and threw zero INTs. Oh, and we have more offensive weapons now.

I'm not guaranteeing victory by any means, but I wouldn't be all that confident about this game if I were a Saints fan.

You do realize you are facing the 2013 Saints and not Dallas of last year, right?

citysaint

Reaction score
Mindsink":2knmdrps said:

Are you comparing the cowboys defense LAST year that got torched to the Saints D this year? The same cowboys D that THIS year is going to break the Saints record for worst defense ever?

Ware was an outside linebacker last year, Cameron Jordan is a 3-4 -end. You will never see Ware playing 3-4 end.

Wilson throwing 15 passes against Rob Ryan is hardly an accomplishment. You were up by 3 scores due to fumbles one of which was on the opening kickoff. Your offense ran the ball down the throat of a defense that had basically given up.

Mindsink

Reaction score
Number9":23vb40f2 said:
You do realize you are facing the 2013 Saints and not Dallas of last year, right?

Wow really? I didn't know that. :roll:

Since these teams don't have much of a history together, we as fans can only attempt to predict the game based on a small sample size of related evidence (like facing a defensive scheme led by the same coordinator who was on a different team last year). That's all I'm doing.

iigakusei

Reaction score
With two teams this evenly matched I believe Special Teams could be the difference. How has New Orleans been performing in this area? I have heard of Hartley's struggles, but what about your return game etc?

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Saints Fans,

I’ve got a couple of more questions for you, but I’ll preface it with this …

I just got through reading all of WHODATWORM23's fantastic write-up on the 46 Defense and then naturally how that relates to the Saints Defense of today. Thanks for posting that SuperVillan. For those Seahawks fans who haven't done so already, I highly recommend reading it (Pg. 4 of this thread). Good stuff. :th2thumbs:

I certainly am quite familiar with Rob's dad Buddy, as I watched that '85 Bears Team make their Super Bowl Shuffle ... and those Oilers Defenses of the 80's (some of the very best and most punishing, nasty defenses of all time). That got me to thinking, why don't we see a lot of the 46 Defense anymore? I did a little digging on that and found an interesting article in the New York Times on the reasons why it began to be phased out. The article talks about Rob's dad Buddy Ryan and about his 46 Defense ...

But the personnel was the key. Ryan started tinkering with the scheme in 1982, but it wasn’t until Dent broke out in 1984 and Marshall and Perry began contributing in 1985 that the 46 really hit its stride. And the 1986 team, which wasn’t coordinated by Ryan, may have been even better than the team that flirted with perfection in 1985.

Ryan had very good personnel in Philadelphia and Houston. But the 46 gradually fell out of favor as teams began to exploit its primary weakness – an undermanned secondary. If you protected well enough or had a quarterback with a quick, accurate release – or both – you could get rid of the ball before the pressure got to the pocket. West Coast offenses and premier quarterbacks strafed the 46 with big plays. Even in its best seasons, the Bear 46 was giving up very high yards-per-completion numbers. The big plays eventually sank the scheme as a base defense. Don’t be left with the impression that Ryan was a one-hit wonder. He was instrumental in designing the Jet defense that helped Joe Namath pull off the upset in Super Bowl III and later had a big role in the development of the Purple People Eater lines in Minnesota. The 46 just became too risky to play every down.
Source:
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/11/guide-to-n-f-l-defenses-part-6-the-46-defense/?_r=0

Now I find that fascinating when it comes to this game on several levels.

At its heart, the Seahawks Offense is steeped in the West Coast Offense and has WCO principles. However, I like to affectionately refer to the Seahawks Offense as the Kitchen Sink, as Pete Carroll is a true mutt when it comes to offense. He believes in the surprise and will use absolutely anything if he feels it gives him a tactical advantage. About midway through the season last year, we began to see the Zone Read Option become a part of the offense. Then, we started to see the Pistol Offense (that Colin Kaepernick ran at Nevada) start to be used some at times. We have and have continued to see (every now and then) trick plays -- passes from Wilson to Golden Tate to Sidney Rice ... handoffs to Lynch, which he flips back to Wilson for the long bomb downfield. That said, the WCO makes up say 80% of what they do.

So, the West Coast Offense is part of what helped to sink 46 Defenses in the 90s, as teams were able to exploit the holes in those defenses due to quick up tempo offense. Now we haven’t seen that type of high up tempo offense (as we saw under Holmgren) with Darrell Bevell’s version of the WCO – but we have seen Wilson become much faster in his ability to get the ball out quickly (by my estimations, he’s getting the ball out on average in around 2.5 seconds). And, as we’ve already mentioned several times before, the Seahawks starting offensive line is finally intact and when they are clicking on all cylinders, give Wilson one of the best lines in football to throw behind.

Interestingly enough though, the Saints Defense has been VERY GOOD in yards/completion allowed (6.7 yards/comp. – tied for 8th) … are 3rd Best in terms of overall yards/game allowed (198.0) … and 8th Best in terms of QB Rating Allowed (77.7) this year.

So, all of that said, here are the questions …

1) How does Rob Ryan’s 46 Defense differ (if really at all) from that of his dad’s? His doesn’t appear to have the same weaknesses that led to the 46 downfall. If so, how has he been able to accomplish this – personnel, new nuances, etc.? If those same weaknesses DO appear to exist however, can you elaborate?

2) Given what I shared above regarding the Seahawks Offense, do you see Percy Harvin’s addition having an impact on the Saints Defense in this game? Before you answer, I would ask that you read Dave Wyman’s article up on 710 ESPN last week as further background info. [Wyman was a LB for the Seahawks and Broncos back in the ‘80s.]
The Percy Harvin Effect by Dave Wyman

Knowing what you know of the Saints, how will Rob Ryan look to defend Harvin?