Q&A with Saints Fans/Seahawks-Saints Game Preview ...

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Because of this being Thanksgiving Week, I'm simply not going to have time to do my usual weekly Game Preview Thread (sorry about that guys). I DO however have an alternative that I think might be interesting and educational for us this week, leading up to kickoff on Monday Night.

Seeing as how we appear to have quite a few Saints Fans visiting us, I thought of the idea of having an open invitational thread to Saints Fans to share their insights/thoughts on the Saints ... and of course vice versa for Seahawks fans. Now I tried this on the Black and Gold Forum and it didn't go exactly the way I'd planned. So, I'm hoping that this can work here and that they'd be willing to oblige us.

Here's the deal -- I'd like for this thread to be a Q&A thread both for Saints Fans ... and for Seahawks Fans. Above all, I want this to be a respectful discourse. Let me put my Dad hat on here for a second and say that I really want to stress respect here. No provoking comments, degrading jokes, smack talk, etc here. If you guys want to do that outside of this thread or in the Smack Shack -- fine. Whatever. Not here alright. Moderators (Radish and others) I'm really hoping for your support on this, as I want this to be a clean Q&A friendly discourse here. We can disagree obviously, just do so in a respectful manner. I'd like for Saints Fans to feel welcome to honestly share ... because you get the best answers and best discourse that way. Let them see what I already know to be true -- that Seahawks.net is the best NFL fan forum out there bar none. OK?

So, Hawks fans, ask your questions about the Saints ... and I'm hoping Saints fans will feel free do the same and ask us about our team. The idea is to get more educated about each others' teams rather than simply preaching to the choir or talking past one another.

That said, let me be the first to start and I'll begin with a general question...

Saints fans, many of us Seahawks fans may know some about the Saints and their players, but aren't totally familiar with them as a team or with the entire team. Would you guys be willing to give us a breakdown of the Saints Offensive and Defensive personnel (QB, OL, DL, DB, etc) that we're going to see Monday Night? Any insights that you would be willing to share would be great.

Sac

Reaction score
Hey Saints fans,

How had "the Heater" David Hawthorne been looking for you guys?

I liked him when he was a Hawk, but always seemed to be fighting nagging injuries.

The Radish

Reaction score
I kind of like this idea and am willing to sticky it and see how it goes.

Everyone needs to be on their best behavior.

:les:

Veilside

Reaction score
Hey Saint's fans,

I'm curious to know what the majority opinion of Jimmy Graham was in his rookie year. I know he really didn't do much until the end of the season but did you guys see his emergence coming or did it catch you by surprise?

Reason I am curious because we have a similar TE prospect (not just because he's white) in Luke Willson that is coming up slow but starting to show more promise as the year goes on. I think we all hope he can eventually turn into that "Jimmy Graham TE" that most teams covet now a days.

whoDat

Reaction score
Great topic.

I would say that I am really surprised at our D-LIne this year. When we lost Will Smith early in the season I figured "there went the pass rush". Cam Jordan has really stepped up and played great. He is a beast. Akiem Hicks has really played well also. Our corners have played well but if it was not for the D-line I feel that they would be exposed sometimes.

For example when our best corner (Greer) got hurt against SF a couple of weeks ago Cory white really made some decent plays because the D-Line was really putting pressure on the quarter back.

My question for you'll is. Are the Seahawks corners really as good as advertised. Do they sometimes take bad angles or get caught out of position. Can Wilson put the ball on the money consistently? We are spoiled down here with drew. When we had Aaron Brooks he would make some great throws and have great games, but the he would make so bone head plays sometimes.

I am really looking forward to a great game. It feels like a playoff games already. I really hope both teams can make through the game with not serious injuries. I would love to see a re-match in the NFCCG no matter who wins. But I must admit I would much rather have that second game in N.O

whoDat

Reaction score
Veilside":jgkdppd3 said:
Hey Saint's fans,

I'm curious to know what the majority opinion of Jimmy Graham was in his rookie year. I know he really didn't do much until the end of the season but did you guys see his emergence coming or did it catch you by surprise?

Reason I am curious because we have a similar TE prospect (not just because he's white) in Luke Willson that is coming up slow but starting to show more promise as the year goes on. I think we all hope he can eventually turn into that "Jimmy Graham TE" that most teams covet now a days.

yeah I remember a story I read back in 2010 during training camp. Jeremy Shockey was just praising Graham. He was telling the media how great he was going to be. I know I kinda overlooked it until midway in the season. That's when Drew started targeting Graham more then the receivers.The next season Shockey was in Miami.

I got a chance to meet Jimmy Graham early in 2010 and I was not that impressed, but I am now!. I am 6'8' 302 pounds and I thought he was too small to play tight end. He looked like he was only about 230. He has bucked up since then, he's a very fast 270 now, and I would say that hes only 6'6" with cleats on.

bigbrod81

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":vk2bnpjp said:
Hey Saints fans,

How had "the Heater" David Hawthorne been looking for you guys?

I liked him when he was a Hawk, but always seemed to be fighting nagging injuries.

Hey there to everyone here. To answer your question about Hawthorne, he struggled last season with injuries as well. He didn't look very comfortable playing outside instead of on the inside like he had his entire career.

His play this season has been like night & day as well as his health. Rob Ryan has done an outstanding job putting Hawthorne in position to make plays. This has been a staple so far under Ryan when discussing the Saints defense as a whole.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
johntfootball":14ijvoqb said:
3) I am working right now so that would take time to introduce all the broncos...i promise i will. Can you do the same back?

I have been concentrating to get to know my AFC opponents that i really have ignored alot of NFC stuff... thanks!

Absolutely I can do that some when I get a few minutes to myself here. That's a bit difficult at times, as I've got 2 young boys (6year old and a 18 month old) that demand a LOT of my attention. That said, I'll try my best to give Broncos fans a bit of a flavor of the Seahawks ... and a bit more of a breakdown on the Offensive Side of the ball.

[In case you missed it, I did quite a bit of that in terms of the Seahawks defense in my 2nd Post -- back on Pg. 1]

That said, here is an edited, updated piece that I did on Russell Wilson prior to the Saints game ...

Russell Wilson in a word is flat out amazing. If you'll allow me to go off here for a second, I'll educate you a bit on him.

You know I find it personally fascinating when you start talking Peyton Manning and all his attributes. Manning will go down in history as one of the truly great QB’s to ever play this game. And believe it or not, Russell Wilson is a lot like Manning in a lot of ways. I don't know how much you Broncos fans really know about him, but I've been watching NFL QB's for 30+ years now and (doing my best to take off my homer cap for a second) I can honestly say Wilson is one of the very best QB's I've ever seen. I laugh when I see people out there saying that Wilson is too short, only a game manager, blah, blah, blah. The too short, game manager thing couldn't be farther from the truth. I know that a lot of people out there are making comparisons of this year’s Seahawks to the 2000 Ravens, basically saying that Russell Wilson is this team’s version of Trent Dilfer. Anyone who has ever watched him play for any length of time would absolutely laugh at that notion. That guy can absolutely take over a game every bit as much as Joe Montana or John Elway ever did … or that Peyton Manning can. Period. (just in a different way often times)

What Russell Wilson has accomplished in his first 2 seasons is flat out amazing. I don’t know how many of you Broncos fans know this, but last season, Wilson tied Peyton Manning’s record for most TD’s thrown by a rookie QB in NFL History (26). And he did it with far less passing attempts than Manning (Manning had 575 Passing Attempts in 1998 … Wilson had 393 Passing Attempts in 2012) and threw far fewer interceptions than Manning did back in 1998 (Manning had 28 INT’s in 1998 … Wilson had 10 INT’s in 2012). Wilson ended this season tied with Peyton Manning for the 2nd most passing TD’s (52) for a QB over his first 2 seasons in NFL History.

Not only that, but Russell Wilson stands alone, having won more games in his first 2 seasons (24) than any other QB in NFL History since 1966.

He is stunning accurate and is extremely adept at delivering the football deep. In fact, going into the 49ers game in Week 14, Russell Wilson had a 60% completion rate on his deep balls -- #1 in the NFL.

One other thing that Russell Wilson is truly unique in is his ability to throw accurately on the run. Wilson is a great pocket QB. He can drop back and wing it with the best of them. His decision making, his ability to avoid the blitz, and to make the right decision in a split second is truly impressive.

Honestly (and you guys are going to see this) -- he is every bit as dangerous OUTSIDE the pocket when he has to move as well. Greg Cossell did an analysis of Inside vs. Outside the pocket QB Stats last year. Russell Wilson inside the pocket (as a rookie in 2012) had a Total QBR of 77.0. For those not familiar with Total QBR, 60+ for a season is considered Pro Bowl Level. Russell Wilson OUTSIDE the pocket (on the move) had a Total QBR of 62.5. He is a nearly every bit as dangerous on the move as he is in the pocket. He is a stunningly accurate downfield thrower on the move as well. So as a defense, what do you honestly do?

When Russell Wilson is on the move, he is absolutely deadly. Like John Elway in his younger years, he can really scramble and is a real problem for opposing teams because of it. He’s smart with that though, as when he scrambles, he’s buying time and is always looking to make a play downfield to an open receiver. During those times when he does take off to get the 1st Down, he’s not like RGIII who’ll fight for that extra yard and get himself killed. He knows when to get down and slide and never seems to take that kill shot, as he’s got an uncanny way of moving his body in a such a way to avoid those (kind of like Emmitt Smith and Marcus Allen used to).

Wilson idolizes guys like Peyton Manning and Drew Brees and as QB’s. In part, Russell Wilson is who he is BECAUSE OF guys like Peyton Manning. Brock Huard (former UW Husky and Colts and Seahawks QB) has talked many times about the fact that he backed up Peyton Manning when he was in Indianapolis. He said that Manning studied and prepared harder for games than any QB he'd ever seen ... and Huard said that Russell Wilson is exactly the same way. He's an absolutely religious student of the game. He's watched all the film from every game that Manning, Favre, and all the greats that he can get his hands on. After that 49ers loss, Carroll said that he showed up at 4:30am at the VMAC (the Seahawks Practice facility) and there was Wilson's car -- Wilson had already beaten him to the film room. He lives in the film room and spends so much time in there that some of his teammates have joked, calling the film room “Russell Wilson’s Office.”

He is bar none the undisputed leader of this team. From day one that he showed up to training camp as a rookie, he earned the respect of his teammates, grabs the reigns of leadership, and never let go. Like Manning, he has shown time and time again that when the team needs a big play … he’ll make it. When the team is down by 3 with under 2 minutes to go … he’s going to bring the team back and find a way to lead them to victory.

If you were the GM of a team looking at starting an NFL team and could have your pick of any player out there to be your starting QB, Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson would have to be the first 2 choices you’d consider. Wilson is a guy who would be successful in ANY offense. As I sit and write this, I wonder what Denver’s Offense would be like if you substituted Russell Wilson for Peyton Manning. WHOO! I’d contend that he’d rack up at least 4000+ yards.

For those who are interested in really getting inside the mind of this guy and seeing what he's really all about, here is his segment on Camp Gruden prior to him being drafted. As I'm sure you're aware of, Jon Gruden brings in all the top QB's ever year and works them out (mentally and physically), picking them apart. If you've never seen it (and are interested) check it out ...

[youtube]0IbYoeSf6Gk[/youtube]

starbuck2907

Reaction score
Cam Jordan has been beasting lately. I would be worried about him more than any other defender.
edit: I don't have time to do a full defensive breakdown right now, but I'll put the word out at SaintsReport.com and see how it goes. If I have time later tonight, I'll be back. :)

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":10nqx73u said:
whoDat":10nqx73u said:
Are the Seahawks corners really as good as advertised. Do they sometimes take bad angles or get caught out of position.

Absolutely yes. Arguably, Richard Sherman is the best corner in football (though honestly this year, Verner could give him a run for his money). Now, last game against the Vikings, he DID get burned -- and I'm sure most were like me in having to pick their jaws off the ground. Well, Haley's Comet DOES come around every so often. On the other side, Thurmond is a very good cover corner and is actually probably better in coverage ability than Browner, who is more of the physical bump and run type. In Nickel situations, you'll see Byron Maxwell come in and play on the outside (now that Browner is injured) with Thurmond slipping inside to the slot. Now with most teams, losing a Brandon Browner would be a killer. However, the Seahawks are DEEP at the CB position -- their backups could start for most NFL teams out there. Maxwell is very physical as well, but in my estimation can be vulnerable to rookie mistakes at times. In sort, yes -- Seattle's secondary IS really the best in the game at this time. Brees has his work cut out for him.

Thurmond won't be playing

FT98(GO SAINTS)

Reaction score
David Hawthorne has been really good for us this year. He was hurt a lot last year like someone said.

If you had any idea about football and the saints you knew Jimmy Graham was special, Payton really wanted this guy leading up to the draft. He was viewed more as a developmental player which is why it took him a little bit of time to get serious playing time. He came on at the tail end of 2010 and exploded in 2011.

Our defense has been spectacular during the year. We had good talent which is why it was a shock to saints fans last year when the d was so bad. Our offense is starting to pick up the Super Bowl level pace it was on in 09 and 11. We have been hurt by injuries this year which has limited the rotation on defense. The saints also use a lot of formations not just a 3-4 like most think.

Some guys to watch out for on defense

Cam Jordan DE (9.5 sacks)
Akiem Hicks DE/DT
Junior Galette DE(6 sacks)
Keenan Lewis CB(3 INT)

On offense Pierre Thomas has been having a very good year 500 on the ground and 400 in the air. Kenny Stills can bust it over the top anytime, and Colston has finally gotten healthy this year and playing solid.

Should be a good game and Seahawk fans shouldn't expect a blow out. It will be close

24-20 Saints

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
-The Glove-":5h5s5ybr said:
Hawkscanner":5h5s5ybr said:
whoDat":5h5s5ybr said:
Are the Seahawks corners really as good as advertised. Do they sometimes take bad angles or get caught out of position.

Absolutely yes. Arguably, Richard Sherman is the best corner in football (though honestly this year, Verner could give him a run for his money). Now, last game against the Vikings, he DID get burned -- and I'm sure most were like me in having to pick their jaws off the ground. Well, Haley's Comet DOES come around every so often. On the other side, Thurmond is a very good cover corner and is actually probably better in coverage ability than Browner, who is more of the physical bump and run type. In Nickel situations, you'll see Byron Maxwell come in and play on the outside (now that Browner is injured) with Thurmond slipping inside to the slot. Now with most teams, losing a Brandon Browner would be a killer. However, the Seahawks are DEEP at the CB position -- their backups could start for most NFL teams out there. Maxwell is very physical as well, but in my estimation can be vulnerable to rookie mistakes at times. In sort, yes -- Seattle's secondary IS really the best in the game at this time. Brees has his work cut out for him.

Au Contrair ... Thurmond is appealing, so most certainly WILL be playing Monday Night ...
http://www.komonews.com/sports/Report-Seahawks-Thurmond-to-be-suspended-for-4-games-233231261.html

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
First of all, I want to commend everyone for the way that this has all gone so far. This is exactly how I envisioned this all going -- excellent job keeping this respectful above all.

So, Saints fans, I have a couple of more questions off the top of my head:

1) Jimmy Graham is obviously a whale of a talent. So, if you were Dan Quinn (Seattle's D Coordinator) and honestly looking to stop him, how would you game plan against him? What perceived weaknesses might he have?

2) Who are the unsung heroes on this team -- the ones who may not get all the national attention and rack up the stats, but nonetheless are key contributors who could surprise and play a key role come Monday Night?

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Saints Fans,

There's one other thing that I was thinking of (just off the top of my head) that I'd keep in mind when you're looking at evaluating the Seahawks and who they are RIGHT NOW is the Offensive Line.

For those who aren't aware, the Seahawks suffered a LOT of injuries along the OL right from the get go. First, it was LT Russell Okung (Pro Bowler) going down in week 1. That meant that Paul McQuistan (the normal LG) got shifted over to LT. In brief, OOOOOFFFFFF! McQuistan is no LT. For those who've never seen him, he looks like Sloth from the Goonies and sure moves like a sloth at LT as well. Very slow footed. He got absolutely worked against some of the league's better pass rushers. In fact, Pro Football Focus ended up having him rated something like their #75 out of #76 LT (basically the worst LT in football). Then, Breno Giacomini (the regular RT) went down with an injury. We just got him back last week. Max Unger (Pro Bowl center) has also missed some time due to injury as well. For awhile there, the Hawks had 3 of their 5 regular starters on the OL out and 1 playing out of position and totally over his head. There's a reason why the stats look the way they look. Russell Wilson was the league's most pressured QB (on 44% of all his drop backs) -- until this past weekend that is. Unger, Ukung, and Giacomini all returned this past game and for the 1st time since Week 1 -- things really were clicking on all cylinders. Just something to keep in mind coming in to this game when you're looking at the stats. So if you're thinking that Jordan is somehow going to go nuts in this game, keep in mind Seattle's Offensive Line is now totally healthy and intact.

FT98(GO SAINTS)

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":p0dr4rvm said:
First of all, I want to commend everyone for the way that this has all gone so far. This is exactly how I envisioned this all going -- excellent job keeping this respectful above all.

1) Jimmy Graham is obviously a whale of a talent. So, if you were Dan Quinn (Seattle's D Coordinator) and honestly looking to stop him, how would you game plan against him? What perceived weaknesses might he have?

2) Who are the unsung heroes on this team -- the ones who may not get all the national attention and rack up the stats, but nonetheless are key contributors who could surprise and play a key role come Monday Night?

hit him hard. He sometimes has a tendency of getting alligator arms. You have to be physical with him also, there really is now great weakness to him that you can exploit though.

Corey White- drafted in the 5th round last year, was our 4th corner going into the season and now due to injuries is starting for us.
Akiem Hicks- Drafted in the 3rd last year, has been a solid anchor for us and had a monster game last week vs Atlanta

belizehawkfan

Reaction score
We all know Jimmy Graham is as good as it gets at tight end, but beyond him it seems as if NO is a little anemic at receiver this year. Colston, Moore, and Meachem don't appear to be playing at the same levels as they have in the past. Stills appears to be coming on this year, and if Sproles is healthy he is a dangerous pass catcher coming out of the backfield, but who should Seattle be worried about in the pass game outside of Jimmy Graham?

FT98(GO SAINTS)

Reaction score
i think you are underrating Jordan's ability, no one thinks he is gonna have 3 sacks but he ranks around the top in rushes on the passer.

Also the Saints have multiple weapons outside of Graham I would rank them

Thomas(Best Screen back in the game)
Colston
Sproles(Extremely over-rated imo)
Moore
Stills
Watson

Thomas is thrown to a lot on 2 and long on screen plays which the Saints offense is notable for and he always seems to pick up 10+ yards
Sproles is able to provide a mismatch
Colston will pick up those tough yards needed to get a first down
Moore is a solid slot receiver who has sure hands
Stills can break on over the top and Brees seems to be looking for him more
Ben Watson is a good compliment to Graham

bigbrod81

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":3esjcz2n said:

1) Giving Graham a free release off the line of scrimmage is something I wouldn't suggest allowing much at all. He's deadly when he's allowed to do so but has struggled somewhat against press man to man.

2) On offense, those unsung heroes would be RB Pierre Thomas & WR Kenny Stills. Thomas has always been solid both running & receiving the ball out of the backfield. Stills has come in as rookie & made some big plays this season. He has become the default deep threat on the outside.

On defense, Akiem Hicks, Cam Jordan & Junior Galette have given the defense a pass rush that has been missing for several seasons now. Jordan & Hicks are very strong against the run as well.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2g6o7dtf said:
-The Glove-":2g6o7dtf said:
Hawkscanner":2g6o7dtf said:
whoDat":2g6o7dtf said:

Au Contrair ... Thurmond is appealing, so most certainly WILL be playing Monday Night ...
http://www.komonews.com/sports/Report-Seahawks-Thurmond-to-be-suspended-for-4-games-233231261.html

Ah...so he's dropping the appeal after the game. Smart move imo