Q&A with Saints Fans/Seahawks-Saints Game Preview ...

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
lengai":1e6040jc said:
I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and I know we're all ready for the brawl tonight. When you were researching the 2 Ryans and Pete did the Psycho/Amoeba defense show up for Rex or Pete? The Saints run it where 7-8 players on the defensive front are all standing and moving prior to the snap so that there are no reads for the offense. It's not used a lot but it can confuse the offense. I would imagine other teams have used this besides the Saints? http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/20 ... pact-drive

The Seahawks actually employed the Amoeba Defense back in 2011, so this coaching staff is fairly familiar with it as well ...
http://www.fieldgulls.com/2011/10/23/2507786/the-seahawks-amoeba-defense

lengai

Reaction score
Thanks :) I have a feeling this game is going to be as good or better than the SB.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I hope every one of you overconfident Saints fans pay us a visit to discuss the game. Hope this thread remains stickied so that we can enjoy the discussion post game.

Saints33

Reaction score
I'll post what I posted in the congrats thread, not much else to say.

Well, I went into the game with 2 key points in mind. Good punt coverage for field position, we did that. Second, contain the run, we did that. My theories meant nothing. The obvious is ya'll absolutely destroyed us. I think this is the worst loss since 07 Colts in the Brees era for the Saints. I thought overall the refs did okay, actually benefited us a couple times, but aside from their 2 hour conference calls every flag I can't complain. Ya'lls D, is obviously amazing, I knew that going into the game. I haven't seen to many young qb's play as lights out as Wilson did tonight. As much as I hate we got beat, I am a big fan of Russel Wilson. Its good to see a young stud at qb, especially since others are having a bad sophomore slump this year.

I was glad to see our defense play tough in the 4th quarter even after the game was obviously over. Seahawks had a great game plan going into the game and ya'll are obvious legit Super Bowl contenders. I really enjoyed talking football with everyone here this week. I will be rooting for ya'll against the 49ers, aside from the Falcons, I hate them more than anyone. Hopefully we can pick ourselves up and play good football next week against the Panthers b/c it is definitely a must win. Again, great win for ya'll and this stings for us, but we have gotten our butts beat before and still played strong after. Great game (at least for Seahawks) and good luck next week.

plyka

Reaction score
plyka":2a0ndrsg said:
jhawk91":2a0ndrsg said:
The whole "we have the best win percentage on the road since 09" crap from saints fans is getting old quick. What does your road record from last year or any other prior to THIS YEAR have to do with anything? Every year is different from the next and this year the saints are a different team at home then they are on the road. This being a home game gives me confidence that the Hawks will beat the Saints, not only does the crowd factor in but the team feeds from their energy and you can bet there will be plenty of that.

Also, these type of statistics rely entirely on subjective decisions. For instance, they picked 09. Why? Why not 2011 or 2010 or 2007? I haven't looked at the stats, but ten bucks says if you start at a different year going back, you'll have 5-6 teams with the "best road record since 20XX." If you choose this year, it may be the Seahawks at 5-1. If you choose 2001, it won't be the Saints. So stats like this are really meaningless. The stats with meaning have the least amount of subjective variables.

citysaint":2a0ndrsg said:
Your line is back healthy, why is everyone so impressed and enamored so early. It takes time for lines to gel, they were thoroughly unimpressive to me against a weak defensive unit in Minny. This will be their 2nd LIVE game together, this time against a really good D-line. What makes everyone so sure of a line with little to no cohesion against a top notch D-line? Are you guys banking that smoke and mirrors, fakes, delays, and playaction will negate a handicapped O-line?

Why do you consider the Saints D-Line as a good one? Don't they allow roughly 5 yards per rush over the season? Taking into consideration the teams you've played, to have 5 yards per rush average --that's pretty bad. I wouldn't consider the Saints elite on defense, not even close. I'd say they are pretty average.

SuperVillain":2a0ndrsg said:
jlwaters1":2a0ndrsg said:
The Saints are not a great road team. They lost to the JETS for Pete's sake, they barely got past the Falcons on Thursday, Seattle beat them up just a few weeks ago in ATL. I think the Saints are a good team, but they aren't unbeatable, I think they are terrific passing team, but they are mediocre running unit- Averaging less than 100 yards and less than 4.0 yards a carry. Seattle is the more complete team., IMO. They can run and pass and they have the homefield advantage.

Bree's road numbers are merely average with a 88-89 QB rating on the road. In the end I think it will come down to who can capitalize in the redzone and who can run the ball effectively- considering there's a chance at snow on that day.

You can't judge how good the saints are by how the struggled on the road to beat a Division team. Division games are always harder since you play those teams twice and one of those games being on the road. If you want to make that case then same can be made about the Seahawks struggling barely beating the Rams and barely escaping with a win in Seattle to the then 0-7 Tampa Bucs. The Saints have enough run game to Run against the the hawks who currently rank just below the Saints in run defense. So both teams will be able to run in this game.

The Bucs are a good team, and they were a good team when they played the Hawks. Since the Hawks game they have dominated in 3 wins in a row, so it is a bit disingenious to bring up the 0-7 record which is a month old and leave out their current record. The Bucs also DOMINATED that same Falcons team you had trouble with. It wasn't just a small domination either. The Rams are the same, as we saw when they trampled the Colts last week and beat the Bears this week --that's two division leaders the Rams left in their dust.

All this talk is quite irrelevant though and just for fun. We will see the truth on Monday. As a prediction, I just can't see how the Saints do not get destroyed by the Hawks. I think the Saints are an overrated team. They allow roughly 5 yards per rush on defense. They are forced to blitz from every direction in order to get some pressure on the QB. Their offense is great passing wise, they do not have a good rushing game at all. The Saints are the epitome of a soft team. I expect the Seahawks to bulldoze right over them. I really see no way that this Saints team can win on Monday. I also expect them to get bulldozed by a superior Panthers team. The Panthers arer a team that i would be worried about, just like in Week 1 when the Hawks barely beat them 12-7 in CArolina. That's a tough team. I put them on the level of the 49ers. The saints I put 1 peg below Seahawks/49ers/Panthers.

Where are all the Saints fans? I'd like to quote my post for accuracy ^^^

I've bolded the important points.

lengai

Reaction score
Good morning and congratulations on a huge win last night. I know you are all very excited and deservedly so. Very dominant performance. The path to the SB will run through Seattle this year for the NFC. The team's concern now will be how to manage being a lock and still having to play several more weeks until the playoffs. Not a huge deal but something to keep in mind. The Saints played hard but those 3rd down blown coverages ate us alive and Seattle's offensive game plan was much better than the Saints'. Intensity in the trenches was definitely in Seattle's favor. Wilson was impressive. He seems to be a lot more like Steve Young than Drew to me after watching him play. The Saints were effective against Lynch. It looks like he may have tweaked his leg? On the first drive when the Sainst held the Hawks to a FG looked good. The "pick 6" was a killer.

The defense crushed Lynch in the red zone and was not able to recover the fumble, and Corey White dropped a sure INT. That would have put the Saints in much better position. Sherman was impressive, but I didn't really see much from Earl Thomas that made me think he was on par with someone like Darren Sharper aside from his hit on Ingram. That may have just been how the game went since I don't watch him regularly. All of our back up defensive backs played well on both teams. Malcolm Jenkins was our weakness in pass coverage. The refs didn't seem to get in the way. The weather didn't seem to be a factor nor the noise except on 1 or 2 plays so maybe those earplugs will be worn by everyone now. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Hopefully we will see each other again in the playoffs. If so, I will stop by the board to chat and I have to say you guys were the best fan base I have been on a team forum with, bar none.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
lengai":ut88sjyr said:
Good morning and congratulations on a huge win last night. I know you are all very excited and deservedly so. Very dominant performance. The path to the SB will run through Seattle this year for the NFC. The team's concern now will be how to manage being a lock and still having to play several more weeks until the playoffs. Not a huge deal but something to keep in mind. The Saints played hard but those 3rd down blown coverages ate us alive and Seattle's offensive game plan was much better than the Saints'. Intensity in the trenches was definitely in Seattle's favor. Wilson was impressive. He seems to be a lot more like Steve Young than Drew to me after watching him play. The Saints were effective against Lynch. It looks like he may have tweaked his leg? On the first drive when the Sainst held the Hawks to a FG looked good. The "pick 6" was a killer.

The defense crushed Lynch in the red zone and was not able to recover the fumble, and Corey White dropped a sure INT. That would have put the Saints in much better position. Sherman was impressive, but I didn't really see much from Earl Thomas that made me think he was on par with someone like Darren Sharper aside from his hit on Ingram. That may have just been how the game went since I don't watch him regularly. All of our back up defensive backs played well on both teams. Malcolm Jenkins was our weakness in pass coverage. The refs didn't seem to get in the way. The weather didn't seem to be a factor nor the noise except on 1 or 2 plays so maybe those earplugs will be worn by everyone now. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Hopefully we will see each other again in the playoffs. If so, I will stop by the board to chat and I have to say you guys were the best fan base I have been on a team forum with, bar none.
All the seam routes Drew didn't throw? That was Earl.
I thought your team was very intense, very fired up for this game. Your defensive intensity never wavered. Your defensive plan was terrible, that is on Ryan. It looked to me like a variation of the plan you used on the Niners. IDK if it was specifically becuase both teams have a mobile QB, or because Russell was such a limited QB in the game Ryan coordinated for the Boys last year, a game where Lynch's running style demoralized the Saints, but the clear plan to stop Lynch blew up in Ryan's face.
Good luck with the rest of your season, excepting of course any return to Seattle. Please beat on the Panthers and Niners should you meet them again.

Polaris

Reaction score
lengai,

Earl Thomas was dominant. Earl Thomas was providing center-field zone support (see Gruden's "Seattle Triangle Zone") that enabled Sherman and Maxwell to take chances with the Saint's receivers in press man and allowed the LBs to play an underneath zone.

The "Seattle Triangle" doesn't work without someone with the sheer athleticism and football intellect of Earl Thomas. Also Earl Thomas was the captain of the defense and calling out the coverage in real-time.