Q&A with Saints Fans/Seahawks-Saints Game Preview ...

-The Glove-

Reaction score
bigbrod81":2oggj6zl said:
starbuck2907":2oggj6zl said:
The only time that I've ever seen Jimmy Graham really contained was when we played the Pats. Belichick put some some huge guy that was nearly Jimmy's size on him and jammed him real hard at the line. Before Jimmy was able to really find a way past that guy, he hurt his foot.

Aqib Talib isn't anywhere near the same size as Graham. Talib is 6'1 205 lbs while Graham is 6'6 265 lbs. The rest of your post is correct though. Talib played Graham as physical as I've seen any defender play Graham.

Exactly what I was thinking. Aqib is a good sized corner but nowhere close to Graham

citysaint

Reaction score
Your line is back healthy, why is everyone so impressed and enamored so early. It takes time for lines to gel, they were thoroughly unimpressive to me against a weak defensive unit in Minny. This will be their 2nd LIVE game together, this time against a really good D-line. What makes everyone so sure of a line with little to no cohesion against a top notch D-line? Are you guys banking that smoke and mirrors, fakes, delays, and playaction will negate a handicapped O-line?

Attachments

• oline.jpg
    oline.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 5,485

KK84

Reaction score
citysaint":2p8cwjs0 said:
Your line is back healthy, why is everyone so impressed and enamored so early. It takes time for lines to gel, they were thoroughly unimpressive to me against a weak defensive unit in Minny. This will be their 2nd LIVE game together, this time against a really good D-line. What makes everyone so sure of a line with little to no cohesion against a top notch D-line? Are you guys banking that smoke and mirrors, fakes, delays, and playaction will negate a handicapped O-line?

It also happens to be the same line that around this time last year started playing like one of the best units in the league. They have plenty of cohesion, just have some rust to shake off. They will only get better now that they're healthy.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
-The Glove-":3fcbq0pj said:
bigbrod81":3fcbq0pj said:
starbuck2907":3fcbq0pj said:
The only time that I've ever seen Jimmy Graham really contained was when we played the Pats. Belichick put some some huge guy that was nearly Jimmy's size on him and jammed him real hard at the line. Before Jimmy was able to really find a way past that guy, he hurt his foot.

Aqib Talib isn't anywhere near the same size as Graham. Talib is 6'1 205 lbs while Graham is 6'6 265 lbs. The rest of your post is correct though. Talib played Graham as physical as I've seen any defender play Graham.

Exactly what I was thinking. Aqib is a good sized corner but nowhere close to Graham

You know, it's really interesting when you start hearing from guys and who tends to give them fits. I don't know how many of you caught the interview with Big Walter Jones the other day on 710 ESPN (for those Saints fans who don't remember Jones, he and Jonathan Ogden were the most dominant Left Tackles in the game -- a sure fire 1st Ballot Hall of Famer). Anyway, Big Walt was asked if anyone ever gave him trouble blocking and he said Ray Lee Jones of the Chargers. My first thought was WHO? Are you kidding me? Not exactly a HOF Name there. Dave Wyman (former Seahawk LB) who was conducting the interview later commented afterwards how interesting it is that sometimes, just certain guys give guys fits for whatever reason. For him, he noted back when he was at Stanford that some reserve player (whom he thinks never made it to the NFL) for some reason could always block him. Intriguing stuff.

citysaint

Reaction score
KK84":21hfkcg7 said:
citysaint":21hfkcg7 said:

It also happens to be the same line that around this time last year started playing like one of the best units in the league. They have plenty of cohesion, just have some rust to shake off. They will only get better now that they're healthy.

I agree they will definitely get better, but as of right now it's a major question mark to me. When you aren't playing games together on a regular basis there is no cohesion the game against Minny is proof of that.

Outside of the spike by Wilson he had 17 drop backs, Minny had 12 total pressures. Now you can say pressures are a questionable stat when Wilson has the wheels to get out of it, but to me with the line will be a big question mark.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
citysaint":3hue63fu said:
KK84":3hue63fu said:
citysaint":3hue63fu said:

I agree they will definitely get better, but as of right now it's a major question mark to me. When you aren't playing games together on a regular basis there is no cohesion the game against Minny is proof of that.

Outside of the spike by Wilson he had 17 drop backs, Minny had 12 total pressures. Now you can say pressures are a questionable stat when Wilson has the wheels to get out of it, but to me with the line will be a big question mark.

This team dealt with more dangerous front 7's than your Saints' without their 2 starting left tackles. Even without them at 100%, its a lot better than what we were dealing with. I think the OL will hold its own come Monday

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
citysaint":2l9wn111 said:

To expand a bit on what KK84 is saying, that offensive line is the exact same unit that played all 16 games together last season. I take it that you've already read about all the injuries that the Seahawks Offensive Line has had (and all the shuffling that's gone on because of it) -- if not, I've detailed that back on Pg. 1. Anyway, yeah the Hawks Starting 5 has only played together (and I mean all of them) in Week 1 against the Panthers ... and last game against the Vikings. That's it. Keep in mind though WHO it is that they just got back: Russell Okung (Pro Bowl starting LT last year), Russell Okung (Pro Bowl starting C), and RT Breno Giacomini (an underrated tackle, who though is good for a penalty or 2 a game, is also a real tough guy. Tom Cable was asked, "If you were in a dark alley, who would you want with you?" He answered without hesitation, Breno). This OL played together all last season ... all of training camp ... and the entire Preseason. And they'll have had a whole week's worth of extra practice by the time this game rolls around.

Something else to keep in mind when it comes to pressure (as you're noting). Up until last game, the Seahawks Offensive Line has been complete and utter garbage all season long. It really has. Against some of the top Defensive Lines out there (like the Rams), Wilson has had defenders in his face from the moment he's said, "Go." (his version of "hike"). Much of that has had to do with McQuistan and Carpenter, who are some of the more slow footed lineman I've seen. McQuistan as a Left Tackle, there isn't much worse. Here's a little snippet from ProFootballFocus that really illustrates it for ya ...

Paul McQuistan is attempting to hold down the fort during the absence of Russell Okung. He has our second-worst pass blocking grade (-16.0 as an OT) and his Pass Blocking Efficiency of 90.1% puts him 57th out of 59 tackles.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/11/08/3tfo-seahawks-falcons-week-10/

Because of that kind of "protection" Russell Wilson (up until last week) was THE MOST pressured QB in the NFL bar none (on nearly 44% of all his drop-backs). So, almost 50% of the time he dropped back to pass ... Wilson had a guy in his face.

And yet despite all of that ... Wilson (unbelievably) has thrived. On the season, here are Wilson's numbers

QB Rating
Total ... 105.1
Away ... 103.5
Home ... 107.4

He also has a Total QBR of 64.2 on the season (Pro Bowl Level for that stat).

Amazingly consistent numbers when you think about it, given the circumstances he's dealt with. For Russell Wilson to put up numbers like that and for the Seahawks to be 10-1 given all of that? That's unreal.

What's really unreal is when you can make plays like this under pressure (and he does on a regular basis) ...
http://www.seahawks.com/videos-phot...ouchdown/cebcec8f-2517-425c-90cc-ed24b8d586ef

Now He's got his starting offensive line back ... a new play toy that's certainly going to change things in Percy Harvin ... and will be playing at home.

Pressure on the QB or no pressure on the QB, Wilson is an issue for any defensive coordinator. The question I ask myself is, "If I were an opposing Defensive Coordinator, how would I neutralize this guy?" In all honesty, I don't know the answer to that question.

Laloosh

Reaction score
citysaint":33m1ihcn said:

Not sure if you watched any of the games in which we were missing our three starters or if you're looking strictly at stats but it's more about the backups almost getting our QB killed than how our starters have graded this year.

Unger played the first few games of the season w/ tricep tears before going out, Okung played in what, 1.5 games before he was injured and Breno was lost not long thereafter. They didn't have a chance to get back to regular season form but they'll be able to do that now.

monkey

Reaction score
citysaint":1eyayh0c said:
KK84":1eyayh0c said:
citysaint":1eyayh0c said:

Since you've adopted that sort of tone, I'll adopt a similar one to ask my question.

Seeing as how the personnel on the Saints defense is essentially exactly the same as what they had last year, when they were quite possibly the worst defense in the entire NFL (they were horrible at everything, run stop, pass stop...everything); what is it about a simple scheme change from a defensive coordinator that got fired from a Cowboys team with better defensive personnel that convinces you they'll be able to stop Marshawn Lynch this time around?
It's my opinion that the Saints offense is elite, but the defense is far, far from anything resembling elite. They have had better luck rushing the passer, and Rob Ryan scheme has undoubtedly helped some, but these are the same players who were absolutely horrible last year...what's the difference?

lengai

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":3lbz6sio said:
Hey Saints fans,

How had "the Heater" David Hawthorne been looking for you guys?

I liked him when he was a Hawk, but always seemed to be fighting nagging injuries.

Hawthorne looked like a bust last year, but he's playing like he did for the Hawks this year. The Rams tried to get our QB, Griffin, off the PS so we cut Martez Wilson at LB (bit of a shock) becuase Hawthorne has played so well.

citysaint

Reaction score
Because of that kind of "protection" Russell Wilson (up until last week) was THE MOST pressured QB in the NFL bar none (on nearly 44% of all his drop-backs). So, almost 50% of the time he dropped back to pass ... Wilson had a guy in his face.

And yet despite all of that ... Wilson (unbelievably) has thrived. On the season, here are Wilson's numbers

This is what I'm talkg about... the line is back and in the Minny game he was pressured on roughly 44% of his drop backs as well which is insane. So Seahawks fans basically feel it's irrelevant because Wilson has been pressured all season anyway.

lengai

Reaction score
monkey":1y656c1f said:
citysaint":1y656c1f said:
KK84":1y656c1f said:
citysaint":1y656c1f said:

Since you've adopted that sort of tone, I'll adopt a similar one to ask my question.

Seeing as how the personnel on the Saints defense is essentially exactly the same as what they had last year, when they were quite possibly the worst defense in the entire NFL (they were horrible at everything, run stop, pass stop...everything); what is it about a simple scheme change from a defensive coordinator that got fired from a Cowboys team with better defensive personnel that convinces you they'll be able to stop Marshawn Lynch this time around?
It's my opinion that the Saints offense is elite, but the defense is far, far from anything resembling elite. They have had better luck rushing the passer, and Rob Ryan scheme has undoubtedly helped some, but these are the same players who were absolutely horrible last year...what's the difference?

Spags' D required too much thinking after Greg Williams ran an attacking style D for 3 years. Ryans' is similar, but we're getting a lot more push from the D line this year so we blitz less than we used to. I think the personality of Ryan has been huge in motivating the players too.

lengai

Reaction score
-The Glove-":c9jetdmp said:
bigbrod81":c9jetdmp said:
starbuck2907":c9jetdmp said:

He nearly lost his hip doing it though. Graham is a massive person.

saints2k8

Reaction score
Square pegs in round holes last year (Harper, Jenkins, Greer, Robinson)
Draft and FA additions (Vaccaro, Jenkins, Lewis, Haralson)
Addition by subtraction (Will Smith, Vilma, Robinson, Spags)
Player development (Cam Jordan, Hicks, White, Galette, Walker)

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I'm curious about the Saints' RB rotation. With stats and/or the ol' eyeball test, what do you Saints fans think about how your RBs are used? What do you like about it? Not like?

As a comparative, I was exited when we drafted Christine Michael this year. He had injury problems in college, as well as a murky relationship with his head coach, but when he got the ball he looked electric on the field. It seemed we would have him (plus our 2nd year backup Robert Turbin) rotating in to keep Marshawn healthier for the playoffs. I envisioned something similar to what I imagined the Saints have been doing, or at least I thought we had the talent to spread the touches out between the three RBs (and FBs as well). That hasn't been the case. So far, we've only seen Michael get a handful of carries in two games during garbage time. Turbin gets his snaps, but our backfield is mostly a one-beast show.

lengai

Reaction score
Veilside":313zw60u said:
Hey Saint's fans,

I'm curious to know what the majority opinion of Jimmy Graham was in his rookie year. I know he really didn't do much until the end of the season but did you guys see his emergence coming or did it catch you by surprise?

Reason I am curious because we have a similar TE prospect (not just because he's white) in Luke Willson that is coming up slow but starting to show more promise as the year goes on. I think we all hope he can eventually turn into that "Jimmy Graham TE" that most teams covet now a days.

He was lighter than he is now, but you could see it. He got hurt the last game of the season. I think that's when we came up there for the playoff game and Hasslebeck was suddenly 8 years younger and we couldn't stop Lynch. Lynch will get yards in this one too, but our front 7 is way better than the last time. Steven Jacskon is a big SOB and he had success this year, but not like he did in the past with the Rams with the same D players that Lynch ran on.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
citysaint":2suokkj4 said:

This is what I'm talkg about... the line is back and in the Minny game he was pressured on roughly 44% of his drop backs as well which is insane. So Seahawks fans basically feel it's irrelevant because Wilson has been pressured all season anyway.

Mmmmm ... not exactly what I'm saying. In many ways, you've got to look beyond the stats. I don't know if you have NFL All Access and can go back and watch that Seahawks-Vikings game, but if you do, you'll see a far different product than what Seattle has had for most of the year. Russell Wilson had LOTS of time back in the pocket. In fact, I'm only remembering a small handful of times that he truly was scrambling around. The Offensive Line pretty much dominated their D Line. The Vikings had all of 1 Sack and 4 QB Hits in that game (and let me tell you, that wasn't all that much of a sack). I would say, be careful in reading too much in to numbers -- they don't tell the whole story. Go back and watch that game if you're able to.

lengai

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":x5knq9et said:
I'm curious about the Saints' RB rotation. With stats and/or the ol' eyeball test, what do you Saints fans think about how your RBs are used? What do you like about it? Not like?

As a comparative, I was exited when we drafted Christine Michael this year. He had injury problems in college, as well as a murky relationship with his head coach, but when he got the ball he looked electric on the field. It seemed we would have him (plus our 2nd year backup Robert Turbin) rotating in to keep Marshawn healthier for the playoffs. I envisioned something similar to what I imagined the Saints have been doing, or at least I thought we had the talent to spread the touches out between the three RBs (and FBs as well). That hasn't been the case. So far, we've only seen Michael get a handful of carries in two games during garbage time. Turbin gets his snaps, but our backfield is mostly a one-beast show.

I think what Sproles can do is well established. Our best RB is Pierre Thomas. He is very shifty, excellent vision and patience, gets hard yards up the gut when needed, and is the absolute best screen back in the game today. If you guys start getting pressure, the Saints O can screen pass the opposing team very well. Ingram is a good runner, but has no leg drive.

citysaint

Reaction score
KK84":1jmk3xcb said:

40 Sacks on the season so far isn't elite, thats luck? And now we are playing the most pressured QB in the league, your line is back, but last week they were about as good as all the weeks prior in terms of pressures allowed.

lengai

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":1wx0ppvy said:
First of all, I want to commend everyone for the way that this has all gone so far. This is exactly how I envisioned this all going -- excellent job keeping this respectful above all.

So, Saints fans, I have a couple of more questions off the top of my head:

1) Jimmy Graham is obviously a whale of a talent. So, if you were Dan Quinn (Seattle's D Coordinator) and honestly looking to stop him, how would you game plan against him? What perceived weaknesses might he have?

2) Who are the unsung heroes on this team -- the ones who may not get all the national attention and rack up the stats, but nonetheless are key contributors who could surprise and play a key role come Monday Night?

His only weakness right now is his foot ligament. He can rebound jump balls in triple coverage with ease and he is much faster than people may think and can carry someone the size of Sherman or Thomas for 8-10 yards into the end zone. Very strong grip on the ball. The best thing I can think of is to have a safety flash in his line of sight when the ball is coming in and hope he pulls in expecting a hit and drops the ball. Talib is the only person that has done anything the past 2-3 years to slow him down.
We have many unsung heros. Marques Colston, Kenny Stills, Lance Moore, Khiry Robinson, Robert Meachem, Ramon Humber, Rafael Bush, Our entire D line (all playing lights out this year). Jenkins at NT is playing very well. Junior Galette is another one. A lot of low round guys are playing a lot better than it would seem.