Poll: If they draft a qb, who will it be?

If they draft a qb, who will it be?

• Williams

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Daniels

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Maye

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • McCarthy

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • Penix

Votes: 47 37.3%
  • Nix

Votes: 17 13.5%
  • Other

Votes: 26 20.6%

• Total voters

pmedic920

Reaction score
I would trade him. The money you pay a superstar WR and RB isn't worth it. The NFL has evolved into these scheme systems where finding the right guys for your system is more important. The Pats started it in recent years and these young coaches furthered it, IMHO. It's why Mahomes took no a name receiving core and won the Superbowl. Sure, Kelce is a generational talent no doubt. I not even impressed with Mahomes, he's basically a system QB. He's not better than the old QB's based on talent. Guys like Marino, Elway, Young, etc. It's obvious that's where the NFL is heading. QB's on down being interchangeable parts.
Fair enough.
I appreciate the response.

Guess I’m just a bit more sentimental and get attached to specific players, especially when I see a talent that IMO isn’t being used to their potential.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I would trade him. The money you pay a superstar WR and RB isn't worth it. The NFL has evolved into these scheme systems where finding the right guys for your system is more important. The Pats started it in recent years and these young coaches furthered it, IMHO. It's why Mahomes took no a name receiving core and won the Superbowl. Sure, Kelce is a generational talent no doubt. I not even impressed with Mahomes, he's basically a system QB. He's not better than the old QB's based on talent. Guys like Marino, Elway, Young, etc. It's obvious that's where the NFL is heading. QB's on down being interchangeable parts.
Mahomes won a Super Bowl because he had top of the league defense and special teams, not because he turned a bunch of no-names (plus a HOF TE) into a top of the line receiving corps.

Patrick Mahomes plus Travis Kelce plus a much better OL than us plus a top 10 RB produced an offense that was only slightly better than ours WITH DK Metcalf.

SuperSonic67

Reaction score
Mahomes won a Super Bowl because he had top of the league defense and special teams, not because he turned a bunch of no-names (plus a HOF TE) into a top of the line receiving corps.

Patrick Mahomes plus Travis Kelce plus a much better OL than us plus a top 10 RB produced an offense that was only slightly better than ours WITH DK Metcalf.
That Andy Reid guy is a pretty good coach too…

DirectMessage

Reaction score

Kyle Shanahan lost that game. He stopped running the ball in the third. Kyle continues to sabotage himself for some reason. KC's defense wasn't the factor in winning the Superbowl for them.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Kyle Shanahan lost that game. He stopped running the ball in the third. Kyle continues to sabotage himself for some reason. KC's defense wasn't the factor in winning the Superbowl for them.
Well, one, I was talking about the whole season and not one game. And second... yes, they were still the factor for KC in the Super Bowl. It's nice to blame the opposing coach (and I don't know why he didn't go to the CMC well more in the second half) but KC's defense and special teams showed up multiple times in that game.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
KC also has one of the greatest QBs of all time.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Cool story.
You don't normally hear that a QB who threw for 4200+ yards with an almost 70% completion percentage in a season had no idea what he was looking at.
Good to know.
I'm not the only one with that take. Much smarter football folks see the same things. it's the same old issue, elite physical attributes but can't read defenses and can't progress through reads. It's what separates the good enough from the great. When he throws on rhythm and gets the ball out quickly, he's amazing. I firmly believe he could be all pro with his arm talent. He throws probably the prettiest ball in the NFL.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I'm not the only one with that take. Much smarter football folks see the same things. it's the same old issue, elite physical attributes but can't read defenses and can't progress through reads. It's what separates the good enough from the great. When he throws on rhythm and gets the ball out quickly, he's amazing. I firmly believe he could be all pro with his arm talent. He throws probably the prettiest ball in the NFL.
Who are these people, though? I've never really heard this except here on this board.

His average time to throw this year was like league average. His average time to throw last year was... league average. He is neither throwing the ball extremely quick (I.E. one read and go) nor is he holding onto the ball and struggling to decide.

He's also been top half of the league in success rate for both of his years here, though, so if he's not one read and out and not holding onto the ball forever, how is he creating positive plays so consistently if he also doesn't know what to do with the ball?

Chevy

Reaction score
I honestly would rather see John identify a QB with the frame, arm talent & wheels who is underrated and doesn't have the prolific college stats to warrant going high. Don't know who that would be but the 3rd, 4th or later would be his under the radar spot. Kind of a RW3 pick with more height, less big stage and the right mental toughness, mindset off the bat.
A guy who if he doesn't stick, won't be the Titanic sinking, but enough potential to take a shot on, maybe even to be backup QB for a all in 2025 QBOTF
They had better be careful, first round quarterbacks are far more likely to stunt a team's growth in their first 4-5 years than to lead them to playoff wins.
The Mahomes and Strouds are few & far between and this draft seems to hold some linemen we could use.
Dig deep. Milton college, Cal Poly deep.

That's like trying to win the Mega Million Lotto as your retirement financial plan. Relying to eventually win it.

Maybe your idea should have been our strategy back the year we signed Wilson to his first contract, coming off his rookie contract.

toffee

Reaction score
Schneider might have asked but not sure if he was honored with a copy of Celab's medical reports.

CactusJack

Reaction score
5th round pick, long term project. Wasn't even close with his deep balls in the combine.
I came away far more impressed with his film than I thought I would. His accuracy is less of an issue than I originally thought. I could totally see John falling in love with his arm.

4th-5th round is my best guess.

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
I am warming up to JJ McCarthy, apparently, he wasn't bad under pressure. In fact, his completion percentage under pressure was quite good. Coach Jim Harbaugh also called him the best QB in Michigan history, that was Harbaugh putting his reputation out there for JJ.

Unlike Celab William, he won't feel insulted if the team wants him to hold a clipboard for Geno.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Who are these people, though? I've never really heard this except here on this board.

His average time to throw this year was like league average. His average time to throw last year was... league average. He is neither throwing the ball extremely quick (I.E. one read and go) nor is he holding onto the ball and struggling to decide.

He's also been top half of the league in success rate for both of his years here, though, so if he's not one read and out and not holding onto the ball forever, how is he creating positive plays so consistently if he also doesn't know what to do with the ball?
He's not. he's not consistent, that's the problem.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
He's not. he's not consistent, that's the problem.
But I literally just pointed out that he has been top half in success rate for 2 straight seasons. He led the league in straight completion percentage in 2022.

How do you lead the league in completion percentage with a league average time to throw if you aren't seeing anything? He's not one read and go and he's not holding forever and he's still leading the league in completion percentage. What is your answer for what he did?

To say 'he's not consistent' is fine, he definitely had bad games. But that's not enough to come to a blanket 'he can't read defenses' statement because he was still a top half guy in creating successful plays across two straight seasons.

DirectMessage

Reaction score
I came away far more impressed with his film than I thought I would. His accuracy is less of an issue than I originally thought. I could totally see John falling in love with his arm.

4th-5th round is my best guess.
I'll have to watch some of his highlights, just incase the Seahawks surprise draft him. 😀. All GM's love that QB that can throw the ball 70 yards with the flick of the wrist run like a RB. The unicorn. 🤣

xray

Reaction score
I thought the missed extra point was the problem . :)