Pick #142 R5 Ben-Burr Kirven LB

Hawkpower

Reaction score
dopeboy206":qpondrc5 said:
Watched a ton of UW games. Not a fan of this guy. Yes he gets lots of tackles but a lot of his tackles I saw were him getting trucked or pushed back 3-4 yards before the guy he's tackling goes down. If you are expecting a player that can get us tackles for loss BBK isn't that guy from what I seen hopefully he proves me wrong and don't get pushed back 3-4 yards on tackles like what I saw from him when he was playing at UW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You were right up until last year. I know many of the husky fan message boards (one in particular) used to dog him for that.

Was not the case at all last year. Guy was a different player. Still undersized, but used his leverage much more effectively to limit that push back you used to see.

sutz

Reaction score
Hawkpower":22v8rbjb said:
dopeboy206":22v8rbjb said:
Watched a ton of UW games. Not a fan of this guy. Yes he gets lots of tackles but a lot of his tackles I saw were him getting trucked or pushed back 3-4 yards before the guy he's tackling goes down. If you are expecting a player that can get us tackles for loss BBK isn't that guy from what I seen hopefully he proves me wrong and don't get pushed back 3-4 yards on tackles like what I saw from him when he was playing at UW.

You were right up until last year. I know many of the husky fan message boards (one in particular) used to dog him for that.

Was not the case at all last year. Guy was a different player. Still undersized, but used his leverage much more effectively to limit that push back you used to see.
Curious here. I'm not a Husky watcher, even though I'm local. I just don't watch college ball. My curiosity is about the D-line during that period. Quite often, the DL can make or break the MLB behind them. Perhaps the quality of DTs went up, giving BBK a bit more time to react to plays?

D

DomeHawk

sutz":2ggpiqsi said:
Hawkpower":2ggpiqsi said:
dopeboy206":2ggpiqsi said:

Curious here. I'm not a Husky watcher, even though I'm local. I just don't watch college ball. My curiosity is about the D-line during that period. Quite often, the DL can make or break the MLB behind them. Perhaps the quality of DTs went up, giving BBK a bit more time to react to plays?

He didn't lead the nation in tackles because he played behind a great line, he's a pure baller. The Husky line was decent last year but in no way dominating.

As for tfl's that wasn't his job, he is a stay-in-your-lane and contain, linebacker. Those kind of stats stand out but what they don't tell you is how risky they can be. We all go crazy when we see a tackle for loss but there is plenty to be said for a linebacker that does his job also.

two dog

Reaction score
sutz":3130tzag said:
two dog":3130tzag said:
Chawker":3130tzag said:
Does he have the speed to play safty?

Shaquem Griffin does. Drop weight to about 210-215 and he would probably be our fastest safety.
I thought Kam played at 230. No?

You are exactly right. Kim played at over 230 but he also ran in the 4.6's and played at strong safety.
Shaquem ran in the 4.3's at over 230 and with dropped weight could be a single high free.

Way different players though. At roughly the same weight there's no way Shaquem can bring
the hammer the way Kam did.

D

DomeHawk

two dog":3j6x7pkv said:
sutz":3j6x7pkv said:
two dog":3j6x7pkv said:
Chawker":3j6x7pkv said:
Does he have the speed to play safty?

Shaquem Griffin does. Drop weight to about 210-215 and he would probably be our fastest safety.
I thought Kam played at 230. No?

You are exactly right. Kim played at over 230 but he also ran in the 4.6's and played at strong safety.
Shaquem ran in the 4.3's at over 230 and with dropped weight could be a single high free.

Way different players though. At roughly the same weight there's no way Shaquem can bring
the hammer the way Kam did.

Kam's best time at the combine was 4.69 so he was essentially a 4.7-40 guy. That's the same time BBK ran at the combine at 230lbs. For most of his career at UDub he ran 9in the 4.5's. He bulked up for the combine and that hurt his time.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Not sure what you guys are on about.

Tatupu at the combine: 238lbs, 6'0", 4.73s 40 yard, 23 reps, 4.21 20-SS, 9' 8" broad, 35" vertical
BBK at the combine: 230lbs, 6'0", 4.56s 40 yard, 21 reps, 4.09 20-SS, 10' 1" broad, 34.5" vertical

BBK can absolutely add some muscle, same as Tatupu and most LB prospects do once they hit an NFL weight room, NFL training staff and NFL nutritionists.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Been watching him in person his entire career, this kid is all over the field. Hoping people continue to tell him he's too small blah blah blah. You're either a baller or you are not.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Still kind of hoping we can use Burr-Kirven as a safety.

He really is not a defender known for putting devasting hits on people. His thing is great instincts and angles.

But as the NFL moves to offenses that are more about space, and plays happen more quickly - those LB/safety hybrids that had a hard time finding a spot in the NFL are now valuable.

He was pretty good at coverage as a LB so his ability to play the pass might be valuable for us. It has always been an issue for us with the TEs.

D

DomeHawk

TwistedHusky":sp2w4f3a said:

He really is not a defender known for putting devasting hits on people. His thing is great instincts and angles.

But as the NFL moves to offenses that are more about space, and plays happen more quickly - those LB/safety hybrids that had a hard time finding a spot in the NFL are now valuable.

He was pretty good at coverage as a LB so his ability to play the pass might be valuable for us. It has always been an issue for us with the TEs.

Pretty much what I've been feeling about him. Would not be surprised to see him used as a LB/safety hybrid.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1mml0nz2 said:
TwistedHusky":1mml0nz2 said:

Pretty much what I've been feeling about him. Would not be surprised to see him used as a LB/safety hybrid.

With the pace of the passing games emerging in the NFL it almost suits his measureables better

ivotuk

Reaction score
Sam Mills 5' 9" 229#
12 years
186 Games Played
1142 Solo Tackles

Zach Thomas 5' 11" 228
13 years
184 Games
1100 Solo Tackles

Dat Nguen 5' 11" 238#
7 years