Pete Carroll is the NFC's best coach.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
NJlargent":ilhha32u said:
Our offense has stunk since Marshawn left and I have seen zero improvement or progress over these past few seasons. That is a major deterrent in crowning someone #1.

I recognize the injuries issue. How about penalties?
I think his departure just happened to overlap with the distribution of $$$ to a core of players and the effect it had team wide. Losing him hurt, but it's only part of the reason the offense declined.

Pete has done a pretty darn good job of being able to maintain success while keeping a large core of players. In today's NFL, that is an extremely difficult task. Wait and see what happens when Dallas has to ante up for both Dak & Zeke, or when Philly has to pay Wentz. Payton had to suffer while taking care of Brees and they've bounce back. But they still stumbled. Pete & John planned very well for their payday waterfall.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Uncle Si":lofnh4k8 said:
pittpnthrs":lofnh4k8 said:
Uncle Si":lofnh4k8 said:
Lucky when Pete does it..

just better coaching when others do it.

BB went 9 years between Super Bowl wins, including two 10-6 seasons and a 9-7 season.

Patriots should have fired him

Pete's rosters have been much more talented as a whole. I'm betting old Bill would be licking his chops to have roster talent like we do. Guess it doesnt matter, he beat us anyways when it mattered.

yeah, that 18-1 team was just filled with mediocre talent. all those 12-4 teams too. BB just willed them to win.

im betting old Bill has coached a dozen future hall of famers.

That's a one off team. Take the Patriots roster from 2012 to present and take the Seahawks rosters during that time and Seattle has or had more talent easily in that time period.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
hawknation2017":33gq3o23 said:
pittpnthrs":33gq3o23 said:
Uncle Si":33gq3o23 said:

BB went 9 years between Super Bowl wins, including two 10-6 seasons and a 9-7 season.

Pete's rosters have been much more talented as a whole. I'm betting old Bill would be licking his chops to have roster talent like we do. Guess it doesnt matter, he beat us anyways when it mattered.

Are you kidding?

No Richard Sherman. No Kam Chancellor. No Cliff Avril. No Chris Carson. Injured Wagner and Bennett.

I would take your post to heart if the team was actually lighting it up when those players were present this year, but we weren't. The Hawks have been consistently average all season even with them.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Scorpion05":269095j9 said:
I think Pete convinced himself he could pay the defense, take Russell's mobility for granted (we saw how that turned out last year), and hope the O-line gels over time. In reality, he needs to invest more in the offense. As much as I criticize Bevell, I sometimes wonder what he'd look like with a great o-line. Maybe those bubble screens and reverses would work. Maybe those long developing plays would work? I fear we may never find out.

The problem here though Scorp is that we don't have that O-line and Bevell still runs those plays. That's an issue.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1djqqxfo said:
Uncle Si":1djqqxfo said:
pittpnthrs":1djqqxfo said:
Uncle Si":1djqqxfo said:

yeah, that 18-1 team was just filled with mediocre talent. all those 12-4 teams too. BB just willed them to win.

That's a one off team. Take the Patriots roster from 2012 to present and take the Seahawks rosters during that time and Seattle has or had more talent easily in that time period.

“Easily?”

For one, they’ve had the greatest QB in the history of the league. Maybe the best receiving TE as well. Perennial pro bowlers on both sides of the ball.

They aren’t 1 offs. The Pats went to Super Bowls and had a 9 year spell of not winning one. The point being made is old Bill wasn’t filling out his resume during that period. Yet, Pete might miss the playoffs for the first time and you’re suggesting he go?

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":26jr14ky said:
NJlargent":26jr14ky said:
Our offense has stunk since Marshawn left and I have seen zero improvement or progress over these past few seasons. That is a major deterrent in crowning someone #1.

The loss of Marshawn has been huge really.

As we proved in 2015, Lynch could not run well behind this younger offensive line, and he also failed on 3rd / 4th and short time and time again.

Rawls output blew away what we were getting from Lynch, so I'll disagree that in his current condition (and our younger line) that he was missed much. Alex Collins is just another case that adds evidence the oline is more missed than the RB's.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":14f0qguz said:
Uncle Si":14f0qguz said:
pittpnthrs":14f0qguz said:
Uncle Si":14f0qguz said:

Good point. Yet NE was the superior team which points to coaching as being the Seahawks weakness during that time.

Biggest difference might be that Pete built a good team out of great players while Belichick seems to build great teams out of good players. (Well, he also had the benefit of perhaps the greatest QB to ever play the game - Tom Brady)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":368vik33 said:
Uncle Si":368vik33 said:
NJlargent":368vik33 said:

As we proved in 2015, Lynch could not run well behind this younger offensive line, and he also failed on 3rd / 4th and short time and time again.

Rawls output blew away what we were getting from Lynch, so I'll disagree that in his current condition (and our younger line) that he was missed much. Alex Collins is just another case that adds evidence the oline is more missed that the RB's.

I’m saying the team hasn’t been the same since his peak

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1fb9wgi3 said:
Seymour":1fb9wgi3 said:
Uncle Si":1fb9wgi3 said:
NJlargent":1fb9wgi3 said:

Rawls output blew away what we were getting from Lynch, so I'll disagree that in his current condition (and our younger line) that he was missed much. Alex Collins is just another case that adds evidence the oline is more missed that the RB's.

I’m saying the team hasn’t been the same since his peak

That we agree on.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Uncle Si":12oey1tx said:
pittpnthrs":12oey1tx said:

“Easily?”

For one, they’ve had the greatest QB in the history of the league. Maybe the best receiving TE as well. Perennial pro bowlers on both sides of the ball.

They aren’t 1 offs. The Pats went to Super Bowls and had a 9 year spell of not winning one. The point being made is old Bill wasn’t filling out his resume during that period. Yet, Pete might miss the playoffs for the first time and you’re suggesting he go?

I also agree that Brady is the greatest of all time, but when he hasent been available, they still win. They won 10 games the year Cassell stepped in. Just last year, Brady missed the four games and they won 3 of them with a 2nd and 3rd string QB. That's coaching.

Everybody wants to bring up the 9 year stretch, but nobody ever brings up the fact that the Patriots were still a perennial juggernaut that was still winning divisions, making playoffs, conference championships, and even losing a few Super Bowls. There worst season in that span was when they missed the playoffs in 2008 after being 11-5 and losing a tie breaker to Miami for the division. That was a season in which the leading AFC teams in the other divisions had crazy records like 12-4 and so forth. Meanwhile, Seattle has lost their division and is in serious danger of not making the playoffs during a season that they had a very favorable schedule, all the while being led by a coach that has historically either left or got booted when his teams started to regress. As I said, i'll give Pete a chance to right the ship, but lets face it, he's never done it before unless he built it from the ground up and he's fast approaching 70. I'm not feeling it.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I actually did bring that up.

And this might be the first time since Pete took over that his team doesn’t win 10 games or make the playoffs.

So what’s your point? Because to me it seems unfair to compare him to BB while only focusing on what might be his first real failure and ignoring BBs to further your argument. You even ignore the 10-6 and 9-7 seasons.

We agree the team should be better and Pete needs to adjust if he’s coaching next year. BB was given those chances. So if you’re going to give him a chance then do so objectively. He’s earned it.

Bill Belichek is 65. Pete Carrol is 66

NJlargent

Reaction score
I agree with Si that we have not been the same since Lynch’s peak. But my issue is that I haven’t seen Carroll move us forward. We have declined and regressed and have consistently done so over the past 4 years.

I know we say NE went 9 years without a SB win but they still got back. They did not regress as badly as we have been. Same holds true for the Giants. They shocked the world in 07 and then stunk to the point of where everyone wanted Coughlin fired. Yet he got them back and they won it again in 2011. Tomlin too has gone from a SB appearance and then stunk and then gets Pittsburgh back into legit SB contention. That to me is good coaching.

If Carroll gets us to where we win the division next year and get past the divisional round (or are at least very competitive in the divisional round) I will consider him as a great coach. But at the moment a credible argument may be made that he has simply thrown a wet blanket over some insane talent over the past 4-5 years and there is a legitimate chance we could finish in 3rd place next season.

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
Marshawn Lynch plays by his own rules because he's Marshawn Lynch.

He's earned it.

He commands respect all throughout the sport of football for a reason. Just watch the way other players talk about him and talk to him.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
NJlargent":sc9y4rzt said:
I agree with Si that we have not been the same since Lynch’s peak. But my issue is that I haven’t seen Carroll move us forward. We have declined and regressed and have consistently done so over the past 4 years.

I know we say NE went 9 years without a SB win but they still got back. They did not regress as badly as we have been. Same holds true for the Giants. They shocked the world in 07 and then stunk to the point of where everyone wanted Coughlin fired. Yet he got them back and they won it again in 2011. Tomlin too has gone from a SB appearance and then stunk and then gets Pittsburgh back into legit SB contention. That to me is good coaching.

If Carroll gets us to where we win the division next year and get past the divisional round (or are at least very competitive in the divisional round) I will consider him as a great coach. But at the moment a credible argument may be made that he has simply thrown a wet blanket over some insane talent over the past 4-5 years and there is a legitimate chance we could finish in 3rd place next season.

Good post and agree.

Subzero717

Reaction score
^^^So, does he get any credit for not stinking?

Where are the drafts? We haven't had any talent to speak of for years less a handful of guys that look promising from this years draft. The rest have been absolute duds.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Subzero717":3a4ikw6m said:
^^^So, does he get any credit for not stinking?

Where are the drafts? We haven't had any talent to speak of for years less a handful of guys that look promising from this years draft. The rest have been absolute duds.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Yeah. He was named best coach in NFC.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Scorpion05":tbpfxnw4 said:
I'm gonna have to side with Sgt. Largent here. Although Rex Ryan can't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Pete, I'll do it anyway. Rex's problem was always that he couldn't find a QB. Rex had one or two good years of a solid run game but couldn't sustain it

Pete should honestly thank his lucky stars that Russell Wilson is 5'10 and fell to them in the draft. Without that, we'd be stuck with Matt Flynn for 2 years and whatever other contraption Pete could think of. Of course, you can say that about any coach, you need a franchise QB

I think Pete convinced himself he could pay the defense, take Russell's mobility for granted (we saw how that turned out last year), and hope the O-line gels over time. In reality, he needs to invest more in the offense. As much as I criticize Bevell, I sometimes wonder what he'd look like with a great o-line. Maybe those bubble screens and reverses would work. Maybe those long developing plays would work? I fear we may never find out.

Same thing with Cable. Fact is, we're also judging him on the garbage that's been our o-line/running game the last two years. But what has he had to work with? Great o-line talent? Ehh. Great running back talent? Again, debatable. Would anyone outside of maybe Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay be able to make soup out of our chicken shit? And even then, one of the first things McVay did was sure up the O-line and bring in Robert Woods, who's been key to their offense.

So idk, but I will say I can't imagine many coaches getting more than 10 wins with this team as constructed WITH the injuries. Even Belicheck could have lost to the Bucs, Texans, and couple others with their poor defense early on. We need to look at our team more objectively as well. And the Jets, Bills, and Dolphins are NOTTTT the Rams, Cardinals, and Jimmy GQ Niners

Cable has input on who the Seahawks draft on the OL. We have a Pro Bowl LT, 3rd round Center, 2nd round RG, and 1st round RT. The Seahawks have actually spent resources on the OL. So Cable can’t identify talent nor can he develop it.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2w6hye9g said:
NJlargent":2w6hye9g said:

Good post and agree.

Same here. Great post.

Fade

Reaction score
inda2o6":1jsxmg5v said:
Oh, my fault... i wonder how long the Falcons keep Sark as their offensive coordinator? If he last a few season, i wouldn't rank Dan Quin, ahead of Pete.

Quinn has beat Pete, and out coached him both times they played. It's close, but I will go with the younger guy.

Dan Quinn has made 1 Superbowl without Pete Carroll. Pete Carroll has made 0 Superbowls without Dan Quinn.

Latest posts