Percy Harvin/Golden Tate fight

OP
OP
endzorn

endzorn

Reaction score
I can’t wait for the ESPN documentary about that team to come out in a few years. There may never be another powder keg of a roster quite like that one.

GLio14

Reaction score
Well that answers a lot of speculations we all had lol.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
The 30 for 30 on the rise and fall of that era will be a very good watch. I expect a lot of candid comments about RW, Pete, Bevell etc from a lot of the former cast and characters. Like him or not Harvin had immense talent and could of been phenomenal if not for injuries and head issues.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
I don’t think there’s another player that they traded for EVER that I loved at first then hated so fast, as much as Harvin.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":23oh8sa1 said:
I don’t think there’s another player that they traded for EVER that I loved at first then hated so fast, as much as Harvin.
Agreed. I was pumped when we got him. Even have a wolf grey jersey with his name on it. It's still ahead of the Earl jersey I have in the pecking order. Still though at the time the kr in the sb it seemed like it was all worth it.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
what a mess that all became but it's nice to see him own it now, and admit it came from his anxiety. Had he learned how to cope with it earlier it could've been a great mix. Also shows how much weight beast carried in that room, that he was the guy who got them them all on the same page again, not that we didn't know but the respect he carried probably kept some of those chirpers at bay for a while and those voices got a lot more vocal when he was gone.

Rat

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. It's easy to hate on Percy given the large compensation the Vikings received for him, but he comes off as genuinely relatable in that interview, and I gained a massive amount of respect for him. These are real people with real problems and it's easy to forget that. Big props to him for taking responsibility for his screw-up. I'm waiting two minutes after I wrote this to post it due to the surrounding numbers, so I understand his struggle. Anxiety disorders are no joke. I've lost years of my life from mine.

Also, that was like the most Beast Mode thing ever, when Percy talked about him as the peacemaker. You could just hear Marshawn saying that.

Percy was a HOF talent, and it's a shame he fell so short of that potential, but at least he hasn't given up.

Rat

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":142eo564 said:

Yeah, same here. People like to be Captain Hindsight about that deal, but players THAT good right in their primes are rarely available. It didn't work out, but I'll never fault John and Pete for taking that risk. Before getting hurt the previous season, Harvin was a legitimate MVP contender, which you can almost never say about a player who isn't a QB or a RB. The upside was ridiculously high.

rcaido

Reaction score
We won the Superbowl so im still glad for the trade.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I have more respect for him now then I certainly have had since those days. I have the same type of anxiety disorder so I could relate to his issues with new environments and public speaking. Most of the time it's not an issue but when it arises it can be absolutely debilitating ending in panic attacks that make you think you are dying. Fun stuff!

Funny how Tate still claims no punches were thrown. I doubt Percy had reason to lie about it. Someday I hope there is a 2-hour special on that 2013 Seahawks team. "The 2013 Champion Seattle Seahawks: An Expose"...

:snack:

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Wow... how interesting. Finally we get the story.

Looking back, that team was crazy, so many wild personalities, with so much talent. It really was a powder keg ready to blow, it doesn't surprise me it finally exploded and Pete had to rebuild.

But what a fun ride while it lasted.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Ancient history.

He was locker room problem and a head case, that the team overpaid for to acquire, and keep around, until he was traded for a ham sandwich b/c he was a problem to the team. He did have a few over the top moments though especially his awesome second half KO return in XLVIII that sealed the deal.

At least Harvin is telling the truth now, some 6 years or more later. Wonder why it took him so long?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":38w2rqr5 said:
Golden say this never happened. Seems like there was one other thing Golden said never happened.......

https://the-cauldron.com/silence-isnt-g ... 672a3a8e6e

TBF Tate said they had an altercation but that he didn't have a black eye from it and Harvin didn't punch him during that altercation.

Harvin also said that there was an altercation and that Tate ended up falling into a trash can but he isn't that clear on if he punched him or not (the interview asked if he punched Tate into a laundry hamper and he doesn't really answer -- he says they "locked" up, corrects that it was a trash can, and said he "hit" him into it, but it's not really clear if by "hit" he means he punched him or ran into him and hit him football style (which would make more sense -- punching somebody into a trash can isn't really a thing that happens outside of Marvel movies).

I know it doesn't really matter but I don't really see any inconsistency in their stories, TBH.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I wonder if playing on the Gators team with a murderer like Aron Hernandez had an effect on Percy? IIRC, there were indications that Hernandez's drive-by behavior began long before Florida. He had to write a letter to every team in the NFL in order to get drafted because of his history.

I'm sure a lot of "gators' didn't have any facts about Aaron, but that kind of stuff gets out, and if you've already got behavioral issues (like me), then you're thrust in to a relationship where someone is psycho-dangerous, it could add to the stress level.

Pure speculation on my part.

It's good to see behavioral issues being brought out in to the light. I've had my own problems, but used to be I had little compassion for those that thought about, or committed suicide, or that claimed severe depression, until I had my own episode.

I have zero idea what prompted it, or why, but thankfully it only lasted a short duration. It was like a physical thing that washed over me, and it felt like my whole countenance just turned in to one, giant, sad frown. I had this feeling of "Why go on?" with no specific thoughts or idea of what in my life was so terrible.

But we're all basically meatbags, full of bones, controlled by glands that secrete chemicals. And when those glands get out of whack, they begin to secrete too much, or too little, or the wrong combination of chemicals in to our system, and our subsequent emotions are a direct response to that imbalance.

It's like anger, and hate. Those aren't true emotions. They're just responses to being afraid, or being hurt. I've never been so pissed in my life as I was right after I got charged by a Brown Bear, and her 3 cubs. Emotional, chemical, visceral, reaction.

Then there's the anger I felt when going through my divorce. When you're not being hurt, and not having the shit scared out of you, you don't have the propensity to experience hate or anger.

Barakas

Reaction score
During the halftime of our super bowl win I was a wreck. Yes, we were up by 22 points but it didn't matter. While everyone was heartily enjoying some halftime pizza or chicken wings I was nearly in the fetal position rocking myself with worry about a 2nd half comeback from what was the "Greatest Offense in the History of the NFL".

Then the second half kickoff came. Harvin weaved like a magician through the Bronco's coverage team and like that we were up 29-0. The feeling in the pit of my stomach evaporated instantly and I got to enjoy the rest of the game. To me, Harvin was worth everything we put up with just for that one play right there. I know he ultimately hurt the team but for that one afternoon he was a hero for that miraculous kickoff return.

Seymour

Reaction score
endzorn":t20u15st said:

I don't find it interesting, I find that old news. I've been saying this happened for 4 plus years contrary to those saying "where is your proof?". The black eye and inside reports aren't good enough for some people. :roll: Adding in the well known psychotic behavior still doesn't do it for them either.

BTW Cliff Avril confirmed the story on 950. Percy punched Tate then tossed him in the trash can. Said Percy then tried to climb in the trash can to finish him off and other teammates stopped him. :lol:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Percy was a weakminded *ussy, if not a word that rhymes with witch+starts with a b.

He was garbage. He had problems everywhere he went, and for some reason we traded for him when we HAD Golden Tate who could do almost as much as he could already.

He had no value to this team but to cause problems. It was a trade that gutted us of talent because we got this piece of trash, who never played but made excuses.

That led to defensive players getting resentful at his contract, while he never played. And it led to less draft picks.

And it led to the loss of Golden Tate, who could return punts and do that stupid bubble screen almost as well.

He was feast or famine, but he wasn't worth it.

Just a weakminded piece of vermin that derailed what should have been a dynasty team.

I hated the trade then. Hated him the entire time he was on this team. And almost puke everytime I hear his name. He was the first domino that derailed the future of this team.

He didn't 'join' this team. He infested it, because he was a disease.

One of the worst decisions Carroll ever made in his time as a HC was even attempting to bring this consistent excuse-monger on board.

Latest posts