Penny time!

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
hawknation2018":316cqi0u said:
I do think they should find a way to give Penny a couple carries a game so he can use this time to start adjusting to the speed of the NFL game.

A fly sweep to Penny would be cool. He has good hands, looks pretty explosive when he is able to get a full head of steam, and has a knack for eluding defenders when running to the outside.
Penny has been anything but explosive in the NFL, he doesn't play nearly as quick as his 40 time suggests. The guy really needs to lose some weight. He is not very elusive right now either. Not the type of back you want running that kind of play.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Either JS and the evaluation staff should be fired for wasting 1st and 2nd round picks or the coaching staff should be fired for not putting a talented player on the field in a transition year. This team lacks talent and lacks coaching creativity. So not only do we have the inability to win one on one's because we are more talented (which we did in our SB years) we no can't scheme guys open as we never had. This is back to the Mora/Ruskell days.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3r7go1ms said:
Penny has been anything but explosive in the NFL, he doesn't play nearly as quick as his 40 time suggests. The guy really needs to lose some weight. He is not very elusive right now either. Not the type of back you want running that kind of play.
You must have missed last weeks game.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":20alwtgh said:
This is back to the Mora/Ruskell days.

You had a post right up until this. A Mora/Ruskell team wouldn't have hung anywhere near the Rams as long as we did yesterday.

kf3339

Reaction score
Some guys come into this league feeling entitled to be the guy. Especially true for 1st rounders. It also didn't help that he seemed a little heavier than his college days.

I won't sweat the pick this year as Holmgren rarely played rookies their first year. So hopefully he will see the results of Davis and Carson so far this season and realize that he is in a competitive situation in our RB core. Either it will shake him out of whatever issue he has, or he will waste his first year.

I personally think he will come on by the second half, but he has a mountain to climb.

mikeak

Reaction score
kf3339":2lpffosp said:
Some guys come into this league feeling entitled to be the guy. Especially true for 1st rounders. It also didn't help that he seemed a little heavier than his college days.

I won't sweat the pick this year as Holmgren rarely played rookies their first year. So hopefully he will see the results of Davis and Carson so far this season and realize that he is in a competitive situation in our RB core. Either it will shake him out of whatever issue he has, or he will waste his first year.

I personally come on by the second half, but he has a mountain to climb.

after his cast came off and he practiced for a week then PC stated Penny lost 8lbs in that week

That should have been the warning signal

toffee

Reaction score
Not all rookies develop at the same pace, Penny needs more time. Playing him a lot in the first two games costed us, IMO, at least one win.

We are pretty good at this point with Carson and Davis, Penny have to fight for his opportunities.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
toffee":8ouzza9b said:
Not all rookies develop at the same pace, Penny needs more time. Playing him a lot in the first two games costed us, IMO, at least one win.

We are pretty good at this point with Carson and Davis, Penny have to fight for his opportunities.

In the win he averaged over 5ypc. Argument doesnt hold up.

toffee

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":21een8rp said:
toffee":21een8rp said:

In the win he averaged over 5ypc. Argument doesnt hold up.
That he did, but he wasn't the only one.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
This info comes from the Yahoo fantasy adviser app so take it with a grain of salt but I read that Penny put himself in the dog house by reporting over weight and out of shape. The write up stated that while he has now lost weight he has had "ball security issues" in practice.

Seymour

Reaction score
toffee":p1bothwp said:
I like to opin that the coaching staffs are doing the right thing on Penny, only put him out there or carry when he could be successful. Penny had a tough off season and first three games, haters like toffee was real tough on him. Coaches are rebuilding his confidence, and doing a GOOD job.

How is watching a 7th round pick put you to shame building your confidence exactly?

xray

Reaction score
Seymour":2izukdbc said:
Anyone know why Penny was out this week?
He played on special teams....pay attention.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I'm not liking the Penny pick at all now. Even if he becomes a pretty good NFL RB, the whole point of first round picks is to have immediate impact. Lets assume he doesn't have an impact this season. If Carson keeps this up, he will be around for a while. At best it looks like Penny will be a complimentary RB to Carson. You don't draft guys in the first round to be complimentary RB's.

Jury is still out on Penny, but it is looking like another high wasted pick by the Seahawks. I just think we could have used the pick on a player who could be helping us now.

Seymour

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":6weta31e said:
I'm not liking the Penny pick at all now. Even if he becomes a pretty good NFL RB, the whole point of first round picks is to have immediate impact. Lets assume he doesn't have an impact this season. If Carson keeps this up, he will be around for a while. At best it looks like Penny will be a complimentary RB to Carson. You don't draft guys in the first round to be complimentary RB's.

Jury is still out on Penny, but it is looking like another high wasted pick by the Seahawks. I just think we could have used the pick on a player who could be helping us now.

You mean like McDowell? :roll:

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
LymonHawk":1iv947u6 said:
IIRC: Shaun Alexander didn't have many carries his first season, either.
That was Holmgren's philosophy and it pissed people off. He would never give rookies playing time. That being said, Alexander played much better than Penny has been showing during his rookie season.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2c31e82m said:
Spin Doctor":2c31e82m said:
You must have missed last weeks game.
Uh... he didn't look explosive there at all. His speed was not noteworthy and he has no burst. You should watch again. I said it once, I'll say it again, Penny is going to bust. He is not a good running back, nor do I ever think he will be one. Not for us, not for another NFL team.