Penny time!

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Yxes1122":29u7fooi said:
Davis was the better back today and it wasn’t even close.
Stop it. That's not true by any stretch of the imagination. Penny averaged more on less. That's not taking away anything from Davis, he had a heck of a game, but Penny did as well. It was a great ground game overall.

When I got the notification Carson was out, I thought Penny would be the main guy for sure. Even though he wasn't, he ran extremely well with his chances. Very encouraging.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Best game by Penny so far. He had 9 carries for 49 yards. Plus he got some nice short yardage runs for first downs. He is improving. Keep it up Rashaad.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":2k7vsosw said:
Yxes1122":2k7vsosw said:
Stop it. That's not true by any stretch of the imagination. Penny averaged more on less.

Did you watch the full game peel? From what I saw Davis did it all today-hard runs fighting for yards, breakout runs in open field, outstanding in the receiving game and pass blocked well. 2 TD to boot. Penny had his best game thus far too with a few nice runs but his hesitation/dancing in the backfield instead of hitting the hole hard (especially evident the final drive) indicates he has much to learn or a deficiency in his game. He contributed but to imply Penny was better today IMO is false.

I also don’t buy this high ceiling BS people are so quickly to assign high draft picks and dismiss low picks/UDFA with “low ceiling”. You are what you are and Penny is currently a 3rd string back. I certainly hope he continues to improve like he did today and if he eventually emerges as a star in year 2 or 3 I will be cheering him on all the way. I have nothing against the kid at all but it sure seems like folks rationalize our high picks who struggle or underwhelm and are quick to dismiss other guys on the roster who just produce and get results.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":6kpmlvm7 said:
Thepeelsessions":6kpmlvm7 said:
Yxes1122":6kpmlvm7 said:
Stop it. That's not true by any stretch of the imagination. Penny averaged more on less.

Did you watch the full game peel? From what I saw Davis did it all today-hard runs fighting for yards, breakout runs in open field, outstanding in the receiving game and pass blocked well. 2 TD to boot. Penny had his best game thus far too with a few nice runs but his hesitation/dancing in the backfield instead of hitting the hole hard (especially evident the final drive) indicates he has much to learn or a deficiency in his game. He contributed but to imply Penny was better today IMO is false.

I also don’t buy this high ceiling BS people are so quickly to assign high draft picks and dismiss low picks/UDFA with “low ceiling”. You are what you are and Penny is currently a 3rd string back. I certainly hope he continues to improve like he did today and if he eventually emerges as a star in year 2 or 3 I will be cheering him on all the way. I have nothing against the kid at all but it sure seems like folks rationalize our high picks who struggle or underwhelm and are quick to dismiss other guys on the roster who just produce and get results.

I wasn't able to start watching until the tail end of the first quarter. I should have emphasized 1122's quote of "it wasn't even close". That's where I was going with that. Yes, Davis was the better back, but to say it wasn't even close is flat out wrong.

I get it. A lat of people are down on Penny. Either "he's too fat, he reminds me of Lacy, he's too slow, he doesn't get it”, it's never ending. Heck, Davis has more pudge on him, be and no one ever bashes his weight. I think a lot of people are using the 2017 RB class as the standard that all rookie RBs should have immediate success, but that's just unrealistic. The 2017 class was the exception to the rule. Just like the 2014 WR class. Everyone has such enormous expectations of highly drafted WRs after that because of what Evans, Beckham, and Watkins did. Again, that year was the exception to the rule for WRs. This year, no rookie RB that I can think of is succeeding like the rookies last year.

Penny today showed burst, speed (especially his big run down the left sideline) power, and patience. He is a lot different than any of the other RBs on the roster. Davis has some Rawls in him, regarding his style. Not a lot of patience, just 0-100 immediately. Reckless abandon. But again kudos to Davis, he ran good today. It was definitely his best game as a Hawk.

It's just funny how so many are sour on Penny this early. He'll be fine. And sorry West Tex, but Penny definitely does have the highest ceiling of RB group.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":2v5338q3 said:
I wasn't able to start watching until the tail end of the first quarter. I should have emphasized 1122's quote of "it wasn't even close". That's where I was going with that. Yes, Davis was the better back, but to say it wasn't even close is flat out wrong.

I get it. A lat of people are down on Penny. Either "he's too fat, he reminds me of Lacy, he's too slow, he doesn't get it”, it's never ending. Heck, Davis has more pudge on him, be and no one ever bashes his weight. I think a lot of people are using the 2017 RB class as the standard that all rookie RBs should have immediate success, but that's just unrealistic. The 2017 class was the exception to the rule. Just like the 2014 WR class. Everyone has such enormous expectations of highly drafted WRs after that because of what Evans, Beckham, and Watkins did. Again, that year was the exception to the rule for WRs. This year, no rookie RB that I can think of is succeeding like the rookies last year.

Penny today showed burst, speed (especially his big run down the left sideline) power, and patience. He is a lot different than any of the other RBs on the roster. Davis has some Rawls in him, regarding his style. Not a lot of patience, just 0-100 immediately. Reckless abandon. But again kudos to Davis, he ran good today. It was definitely his best game as a Hawk.

It's just funny how so many are sour on Penny this early. He'll be fine. And sorry West Tex, but Penny definitely does have the highest ceiling of RB group.

I disagree. I'm against picking RBs early, especially in the first round, so if you do, that guy damn well better be a pro bowler. Granted, Penny was a low first round pick, so I'd say a more reasonable expectation is for him to be a solid starter as a first round RB. Clearly, he's third on the depth chart after Davis and Carson. Not faulting a kid. The team has so many holes and they chose a RB with their first pick and he's a third stringer. That's on them. Mike D and Carson have run the ball well enough when the blocking is good.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
sutz":3deba6y0 said:
Davis did great!

Penny did OK. He made some tough yards. I'm good with him getting spot carries as he develops.

Will love to see Carson back, of course.
Penny didn't make any "tough yards". The gains he got were through gaping holes. There was only one play I can think of where he didn't go down on first contact.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Another example of why Pete and or JS needs to go. Either Penny sucks and they didn’t manage the pick well and wasted a first round pick or they can’t manage the roster and don’t play their best players. Either way someone was wrong.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1kqvxdkw said:
Another example of why Pete and or JS needs to go. Either Penny sucks and they didn’t manage the pick well and wasted a first round pick or they can’t manage the roster and don’t play their best players. Either way someone was wrong.

Or...they're under no obligation to start their first-round pick right away, and instead they've assembled enough of a RB roster to maintain 100-yard games no matter who's starting.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NFLMatchup/status/1046823705421258757[/tweet]

We're top five in redzone offense right now. Think about our offense the last two years and tell me that isn't an improvement.

chris98251

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1m5d0tsq said:

I am sure you said the same thing when Holmgren wasted a pick on Alexander when we had Watters already also and he sat in the bench for a year.

Seymour

Reaction score
Anyone know why Penny was out this week?

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Seymour":2rqe9q5z said:
Anyone know why Penny was out this week?

He was active. We just established an outstanding 1-2 RB combo today, though and Penny’s services were not needed.

adeltaY

Reaction score
hawkfan68":usoyqu2m said:
Found this article on fieldgulls regarding Penny. Per the article there are some other good rbs (some drafted even higher than Penny that struggled their first year too) - https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/10/...ent-pete-carroll-chris-carson-leveon-bell-nfl

I saw that and it's good perspective. I'm curious, however, as to how many of them were third string RBs as rookies?

Hunt, Gordon, Elliot, Fournette, Barkley, Martin, Howard, (Gurley and Bell?) started immediately.

Others were parts of two-back committees like Henry and Mixon. Kamara was technically third string but the Saints traded AP in a hurry once they saw what they had in him and he became part of a two-back committee as well.

It's a little worrisome that he's clearly the third string RB as a first round rookie. I don't think it's unfair to think that, especially given the other holes this team has (pass rush)

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Carson and Davis are way ahead of him. No reason to force feed a rookie who isn’t ready to play.

He’ll be 100% better with an off-season. Think how bad Alex Collins looked in his limited opportunities as a rookie in comparison to his 2nd year. Penny has a far higher ceiling, and this is coming from someone who fully expected Penny to be awful as a rookie.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I do think they should find a way to give Penny a couple carries a game so he can use this time to start adjusting to the speed of the NFL game.

A fly sweep to Penny would be cool. He has good hands, looks pretty explosive when he is able to get a full head of steam, and has a knack for eluding defenders when running to the outside.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Way too early to label him success or failure but so far he has not lived up to 10% of his draft billing. Maybe Pete and JS should go Costanza next draft?