Penny time!

Vesuve

Reaction score
Off-topic here (sorry).

Thomas Rawls is still a free agent and has not been picked up right?

He looked so good until breaking the ankle....and now....

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
This thread aged well......Penny leads the hawks in YPC and needs to see the ball more. (As I have been saying all season)

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":38vawe0j said:
This thread aged well......Penny leads the hawks in YPC and needs to see the ball more. (As I have been saying all season)

Nobody cares.

-signed, someone who's been pretty neutral on Penny from the beginning

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
He is so smooth for a guy his size it deceives the eye. Thats why man fans on this site were or are down on him. Doesn't look like he is moving fast when he actually is. To have feet like he does/speed/acceleration like he does is special. I have been saying it since pre-season .....Im not surprised he leads all Seahawks RBs in YPC through 10 weeks.

Time to unleash Penny, get him 15-20 carries a game, and use Carson to compliment him. Getting Carson 5-10 carries is much more sustainable for him as he has shown he can't handle the workload with his running style and Penny has shown he is much more explosive. Should be a great 1-2 punch with Penny leading the way. :irishdrinkers:

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":24zkli5d said:
He is so smooth for a guy his size it deceives the eye. Thats why man fans on this site were or are down on him. Doesn't look like he is moving fast when he actually is. To have feet like he does/speed/acceleration like he does is special. I have been saying it since pre-season .....Im not surprised he leads all Seahawks RBs in YPC through 10 weeks.

Time to unleash Penny, get him 15-20 carries a game, and use Carson to compliment him. Getting Carson 5-10 carries is much more sustainable for him as he has shown he can't handle the workload with his running style and Penny has shown he is much more explosive. Should be a great 1-2 punch with Penny leading the way. :irishdrinkers:

I'm fine with your excitement over Penny, but to use YPC as some kind of proof, for a guy that has barely 50 carries all season? Interesting timing to decide that is the barometer. Before yesterday, he averaged 3.4 yds per carry through nine games. That's what a big game will do when the sample size is small.

How bout we see some explosive games from him (well at least more than 1?) before handing him the crown.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I liked Penny as a sprinkle home run hitter after Davis bludgeoned them but didn't anyone else notice them exclusively using Penny in the 2nd half?

The offense was far less efficient without Davis's 4-5 yard carries. I think Pete tried to "ride the hot hand" rather than sticking with his philosophy of being more physical than the other team.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Sgt Largent":31dd9irq said:
ImTheScientist":31dd9irq said:

I'm fine with your excitement over Penny, but to use YPC as some kind of proof, for a guy that has barely 50 carries all season? Interesting timing to decide that is the barometer. Before yesterday, he averaged 3.4 yds per carry through nine games. That's what a big game will do when the sample size is small.

How bout we see some explosive games from him (well at least more than 1?) before handing him the crown.

I have been using that barometer all year. Check my posts. He has been running at over 4.7 ypc for weeks now. His first two games were rough and brought his average down. Plenty others on this site have used it as a barometer as to why Carson is better.....and nobody disputed it then so no reason to now. Facts are Facts......and Im crowning him. He has done nothing but been great in college and now here. People are not being objective. They love Carson because they fell in love last year thinking he was our next great one. He can't stay healthy and isn't nearly as talented as Penny. Again, talent and performance all reside with Penny. You can't dispute that as all historical numbers, draft slot, and combine numbers point to Penny. Fans should be happy we have a great one. Penny knows what people are saying here and on social media....just check his brothers latest twitter post about people NOW jumping on the bandwagon.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
lukerguy":ptw2hn2t said:
I liked Penny as a sprinkle home run hitter after Davis bludgeoned them but didn't anyone else notice them exclusively using Penny in the 2nd half?

The offense was far less efficient without Davis's 4-5 yard carries. I think Pete tried to "ride the hot hand" rather than sticking with his philosophy of being more physical than the other team.

We must have watched different games. I found the complete opposite to be true. Davis stalled drives.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, it's obvious they were worried about the health of Carson, especially the way he runs. Makes more sense why they would take a RB with their first pick. People may not agree with the pick, and that's fine, but to ignore the fact that Carson seems day to day quite often is ignoring the obvious. Love how Carson plays, but we can't count on him being there all the time. And Davis has been a hell of a 2nd option.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Resting Carson on a short week with a Thursday game coming up while getting Penny some valuable experience is a win/win. I see Penny staying as the third down back until Carson’s injury bug gets to be too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

truehawksfan

Reaction score
You know, Penny reminds me of Shaun Alexander. Neither possesses the fast twitch like Carson, but he accelerates, using his 4.45 speed, once he makes a decision.

I like the, run thru a wall mentality of Carson and Davis, but to put Penny in as a change of pace will give defenses fits.

themunn

Reaction score
lukerguy":2rxdxegk said:

Less efficient? Didn't we punt 3x in the 2nd quarter vs 0 times in the second half?

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Cool stat....

Seahawks Rashaad Penny now has 159 yards on his past 24 carries (6.6 YPC)

lukerguy

Reaction score
themunn":3c8i9jmx said:
lukerguy":3c8i9jmx said:

Less efficient? Didn't we punt 3x in the 2nd quarter vs 0 times in the second half?

Penny still played in the 2nd quarter. I'm not saying Davis should play all the time, but I'm saying Penny and the Hawks are better when they sprinkle in both, preferably starting with Davis, and then when he wears them down they add penny (similar to what has made NO effective with Ingram and Kamara).

In the first quarter Davis led the carries and Penny came in for his big HR runs. By the 2nd half the hawks scored two touchdowns one on a drive that was extended because of a gift penalty on Fowler, and the other was a TD where Davis was featured exclusively in garbage time.

SO yeah, I felt like most of the 3rd and 4th quarter Penny was featured and would have led to 3 points save for a penalty extending drive.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
lukerguy":1qy861p4 said:
themunn":1qy861p4 said:
lukerguy":1qy861p4 said:

Penny still played in the 2nd quarter. I'm not saying Davis should play all the time, but I'm saying Penny and the Hawks are better when they sprinkle in both, preferably starting with Davis, and then when he wears them down they add penny (similar to what has made NO effective with Ingram and Kamara).

In the first quarter Davis led the carries and Penny came in for his big HR runs. By the 2nd half the hawks scored two touchdowns one on a drive that was extended because of a gift penalty on Fowler, and the other was a TD where Davis was featured exclusively in garbage time.

SO yeah, I felt like most of the 3rd and 4th quarter Penny was featured and would have led to 3 points save for a penalty extending drive.

Penny had 1 carry in the second quarter and was hardly on the field fwiw. Trust me.... I watch for him.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Yeah you almost make my point, actually. The point is that Penny is better as a compliment to a bruising back. The first quarter was by far their best quarter and both received carries. The 2nd, 3rd, and early 4th featured only one guy (Davis in the 2nd, Penny in the 3rd and 4th). As I mentioned except for that one drive extended by penalty and the garbage time TD, the Hawks would have only got 6 points, assuming SeaBass makes a long one.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
My two pennies...

Penny is improving. He is reacting more quickly, not hesitating. The game is starting to slow down for him. But he is not yet a RB who can carry an offense. It’s going to take him more time and probably an off-season to get to that point. This is why Davis is getting the bulk of the carries and getting Carson back is still so important.

Schottenheimer is mixing Penny in really well. He’s getting him free lanes to the outside, where he is capable of being effective right now. That should continue. What should not happen is a return to the failed strategy of the first two weeks of the season, in which whole drives were wasted by taking carries away from the more consistent Carson and Davis and forcing Penny through the middle of the line.