Patrick Willis headed to IR...

Uncle Si

Reaction score
pehawk":27qca79l said:
Uncle Si":27qca79l said:
peachesenregalia":27qca79l said:
Popeye, Pehawk wasn't directly comparing the two as players, he was comparing their importance to the defense. Get a grip, man.

I started reading at page 2 and understood...

See Popeye! This dude went to ASU and even HE understands. ASU for christs sake...

got a degree and everything!!

themunn

Reaction score
Popeyejones":159q0m19 said:
Real question: Do you think Mebane's ability + role is more or less important to the Hawks than Michael Bennett? If you had to choose which one would you rather lose for the year? (don't forget that like Justin Smith, Michael Bennett actually stays in on passing downs).

Bennett by absolute miles. There's a reason why every single Seahawks defender says Mebane is the best player on the defense.

It's because Mebane is the best player on the defense, and he has been for several years.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Wait, Mebane is now the best player on the entire defense?!?!?

Mebane the very effective yet situational interior run plugger is better than Earl Thomas?

Yeah, okay, this clearly isn't going anywhere. :lol:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":cozwhzst said:
Popeye, Pehawk wasn't directly comparing the two as players, he was comparing their importance to the defense. Get a grip, man.

I understand that. Clearly. One cannot discuss a player's importance to a defense without being clear about their role in the defense (i.e. what they are asked to do and what they are NOT asked to do) as well as their ability in that role.

NT in the 4-3 under (like the 3-4) is one of the harder positions to discuss with regards to ability, as it is not a stats generating or dependent position, meaning homers can overstate ability and those who don't follow the team or don't understand football scheming often understate the ability. The position is also, for better or for worse, very limited with regards to role, and people tend to differentiate good NTs by if they are multi-dimensional or one-dimensional.

I, just like the Seahawks' coaching staff (as evidenced by their actions), think Mebane is a good player, albeit a one-dimensional one who is good at the one thing he is asked to do well. He's a hedgehog. He just doesn't compare to Justin Smith, who is, IMO (as well as in the opinion of analysts and non-Hawks fans the world over) as talented in several areas as Mebane is in one.

That's it. :lol:

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3gs3kaj4 said:
peachesenregalia":3gs3kaj4 said:

I understand that. Clearly. One cannot discuss a player's importance to a defense without being clear about their role in the defense (i.e. what they are asked to do and what they are NOT asked to do) as well as their ability in that role.

NT in the 4-3 under (like the 3-4) is one of the harder positions to discuss with regards to ability, as it is not a stats generating or dependent position, meaning homers can overstate ability and those who don't follow the team or don't understand football scheming often understate the ability. The position is also, for better or for worse, very limited with regards to role, and people tend to differentiate good NTs by if they are multi-dimensional or one-dimensional.

I like, just the Seahawks coaching staff (as evidenced by their actions), think Mebane is a good player, albeit a one-dimensional one who is good at the one thing he is asked to do well. He's a hedgehog. He just doesn't compare to Justin Smith, who is, IMO (as well as in the opinion of analysts and non-Hawks fans the world over) as talented in several areas as Mebane is in one.

The next few weeks will be educational for all on just how important Bane was, won't it?

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3obcppdi said:
Popeyejones":3obcppdi said:
peachesenregalia":3obcppdi said:

I like, just the Seahawks coaching staff (as evidenced by their actions), think Mebane is a good player, albeit a one-dimensional one who is good at the one thing he is asked to do well. He's a hedgehog. He just doesn't compare to Justin Smith, who is, IMO (as well as in the opinion of analysts and non-Hawks fans the world over) as talented in several areas as Mebane is in one.

The next few weeks will be educational for all on just how important Bane was, won't it?

Funny, there's a lot of NFL guys tweeting yesterday and today Mebane's the best NT in the game. If only the listened to you, Popeye.

themunn

Reaction score
Popeyejones":36id4mrt said:
Wait, Mebane is now the best player on the entire defense?!?!?

Mebane the very effective yet situational interior run plugger is better than Earl Thomas?

Yeah, okay, this clearly isn't going anywhere. :lol:

Per PFF (following the 2013 season)
Key Stat: One of only four players to score a +10.0 or above at the defensive tackle position for both run defense and pass rushing.

Remember that PFF grades are cumulative too, which means he compiled a +10.0 for pass rushing despite not playing in obvious passing downs.

It's obvious to anyone that watches him on a regular basis that he is a premiere DT in the league, certainly he's the best 1-Tech in the league by some distance.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
i love how this thread has turned into which team is most screwed by the loss of an important player just by arguing that said player is better than the other one who got hurt.

way to go Popeye...

pehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":f7wa2zai said:
i love how this thread has turned into which team is most screwed by the loss of an important player just by arguing that said player is better than the other one who got hurt.

way to go Popeye...

The 49er fans are fairly worthless. They offer no substance outside of what you see in this thread. They come over only to defend the honor of their team, like the battered wife of an alcoholic. I LOVE the NFL forum, but it pretty much sucks because of this type of shit.

Largent80

Reaction score
What cracks me up is they type mountains of text to try and make the point and nobody cares...... :lol:

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3i9gapu9 said:

way to go Popeye...

Pretty much the "my dog is better than your dog" type argument. It is what it is, take what you're given, do the best you can and may the best team win.

Largent80

Reaction score
Hey, anyone hear Willis won't play anymore this year?

Like it matters, has he played this year?

If he did, did it have an impact?

It will not have an impact on the 2 games remaining between SF and Seattle. So, somewhere, someone cares.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":3w56w7vp said:
Uncle Si":3w56w7vp said:

way to go Popeye...

Pretty much the "my dog is better than your dog" type argument. It is what it is, take what you're given, do the best you can and may the best team win.

except in this case its "my dog is bigger than your dog and I can prove it in a fight... except both dogs ran away. so you'll have to take my word on it. he's big."

pehawk

Reaction score
Caught up on a lot of my NFL podcasts yesterday and pretty much each one listed Mebane as the best at what he does in the NFL. I was mad the shows weren't live...I really wanted to explain to everyone that Mebane's not really good, he's equal to Glenn Dorsey. Or, maybe even Ken Dorsey.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
pehawk":28hdrne9 said:
Caught up on a lot of my NFL podcasts yesterday and pretty much each one listed Mebane as the best at what he does in the NFL. I was mad the shows weren't live...I really wanted to explain to everyone that Mebane's not really good, he's equal to Glenn Dorsey. Or, maybe even Ken Dorsey.

Or Tommy Dorsey??