OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
pehawk":6sl7t8l5 said:
Marvin49":6sl7t8l5 said:
homerun1970":6sl7t8l5 said:
I love how the Niner fans tell a Seahawks board what we can or cant do. Mebane is a very unsung part of Seattle's defense. The stats about rushing differential being the best since the 1939 bears someone else put up that wont happen without him in the middle. I see people rave about the back up to Willis ,we don't have that depth at Mebane's spot. The loss is going to hurt.
Sorry to see the loss of any players and the NFC West is hugely snakebit at present.

On the surface, I'd agree with Popeye that the loss of Mebane isn't the equal of a loss like Willis.

However, I think the real question is the difference between the lost player and his replacement if you are going to discuss how impactful the loss is.

So far, Borland has been a monster. There hasn't been much of a dropoff in run support and a small dropoff in coverage. I'm not even sure who will be replacing Mebane so I can't say how big a dropoff that would be. I'd have to depend on you guys to tell me that.

Exactly...Willis is expendable now. Borland's beyond a beast.

You owe me a few non 49er or Seahawks related topics now Marvin49. Come on pookie, do your part.

LOL.

I'll give you this Pehawk...yer consistent. :)

As for the topic, I wouldn't go so far as to say Willis is expendable. 7 time Pro-Bowler, 6 time All-Pro...

...but the play of Borland has definitely offset the loss quite a bit this season.

BTW...who IS replacing Mebane? I know you guys signed Demarcus Dobbs after the Niners let him go, but I can't think he'd be the replacement. I don't know the D-Line rotation well enough for Seattle.

pehawk

Reaction score
You think I'm joking Marvin? I'm serious...you owe us two posts now. Replies will work, but, the preference is that you create your own topic on something outside of the NFCW. Two...two!

Mebane will be replaced with Williams (can never remember if we have Serena or Venus) on rush downs and maybe Bennett inside in the nickel with Bruce going to end.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
homerun1970":24g8tiwi said:
I love how the Niner fans tell a Seahawks board what we can or cant do.

:lol: I didn't tell anyone what they can or can't do. I simply disagreed. That's it. Settle down, Francis.

I simply disagree with the categorization that all three are "huge" losses.

*One is a starting QB.

*One is MLB who in 8 years has gone to 8 Pro-Bowls and been an All Pro in six of those eight years. He's also a team captain, responsible for LB calls, and the leader of the defense (still huddling that side of the ball up before games while in street clothes).

*One is a rotational DT who has played less than 50% of his team's snaps and averaged just over a tackle per game.

On the huge scale, as far as losses go I'd say:

Huge Loss: Palmer

Big Loss: Willis

Loss: Mebane.

I know where I'm posting, but suggesting that they're all "huge" losses or equivalent losses is just kinda silly, IMO. Palmer going down for the year would be like Wilson or Kaepernick going down for the year. Willis going down for the year would be like ET or Peterson going down for the year. Mebane just ain't anywhere close to those classes of guys.

pehawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":eo04dcw6 said:
homerun1970":eo04dcw6 said:
I love how the Niner fans tell a Seahawks board what we can or cant do.

:lol: I didn't tell anyone what they can or can't do. I simply disagreed. That's it. Settle down, Francis.

I simply disagree with the categorization that all three are "huge" losses.

*One is a starting QB.

*One is MLB who in 8 years has gone to 8 Pro-Bowls and been an All Pro in six of those eight years. He's also a team captain, responsible for LB calls, and the leader of the defense (still huddling that side of the ball up before games while in street clothes).

*One is a rotational DT who has played less than 50% of his team's snaps and averaged just over a tackle per game.

On the huge scale, as far as losses go I'd say:

Huge Loss: Palmer

Big Loss: Willis

Loss: Mebane.

I know where I'm posting, but suggesting that they're all "huge" losses or equivalent losses is just kinda silly, IMO.

Being a Niner fan you know zero about the NFL, just your team, so let's put it this way; Brandon Mebane is to the Seahawks what Justin Smith is to the 49ers.

Also NINEster is to seahawks.net what ebola is to Brian Bonsall.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
pehawk":12fc8h4s said:
Being a Niner fan you know zero about the NFL, just your team, so let's put it this way;

When a post starts with a supposition as silly and sophomoric as this, you basically already know that something zany is going to follow...

pehawk":12fc8h4s said:
Brandon Mebane is to the Seahawks what Justin Smith is to the 49ers.

And there we have it.

Seriously, comparing a 3-4 DE and NT in the 4-3 Under just doesn't make any sense to begin with, and that's before we even get into the quality of players or that Mebane doesn't even play half of his team's snaps.

If you insist on making a DL comparison, it would be Glenn Dorsey: their roles in their respective schemes are similar, they're both starters but situational players, they're both paid about the same, etc.

Dorsey was an important loss for the 9ers, as is Mebane to the Seahawks (which I've said since my first post), but the equivalent to Palmer or Patrick Willis? C'mon, you're just being feisty. I don't think you actually believe that.

pehawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":20qkvxe3 said:
pehawk":20qkvxe3 said:
Being a Niner fan you know zero about the NFL, just your team, so let's put it this way;

pehawk":20qkvxe3 said:

And there we have it.

Seriously, comparing a 3-4 DE and NT in the 4-3 under just doesn't make any sense to begin with, before we even get into the quality of players or that Mebane doesn't even play half of his team's snaps.

If you insist on making a comparison, it would be Glenn Dorsey: their roles in their respective schemes are similar, they're both starters but situational players, they're both paid about the same, etc.

Oh, go on!? The Seahawks play a straight 4-3? I didn't know. Wow, you learn something new everyday.

You sure wiped out my above stereotype.

pehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2thf6dne said:
Popeyejones":2thf6dne said:
pehawk":2thf6dne said:

pehawk":2thf6dne said:

And there we have it.

Seriously, comparing a 3-4 DE and NT in the 4-3 under just doesn't make any sense to begin with, before we even get into the quality of players or that Mebane doesn't even play half of his team's snaps.

If you insist on making a comparison, it would be Glenn Dorsey: their roles in their respective schemes are similar, they're both starters but situational players, they're both paid about the same, etc.

He was making a comparison based on importance to the overall defense, not to their respective positions.

Back in your box. Now.

He knew exactly what I meant, but, since logic gave him no room to bicker he pulled a maneuver called "The Roland". Basically, you either extract a generalization and speak to it literally and/or bicker over specific word definitions feigning confusion.

Popeye, you owe us THREE non NFCW related posts now. Anymore and I'll double it.

pehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2x3iylft said:
How could a niner fan have learned The Roland??

Roland is all Niner fans best friend.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
pehawk":x4c23ibn said:
Popeyejones":x4c23ibn said:

And there we have it.

Oh, go on!? The Seahawks play a straight 4-3? I didn't know. Wow, you learn something new everyday.

You sure wiped out my above stereotype.

I didn't say they played a straight 4-3. I said they played a 4-3 under. You even quoted it.

Regardless, Smith and Mebane's roles have incredibly little overlap. Again, if you want to compare him to a 9ers player with regards to what he's supposed to do you're looking at Glenn Dorsey or Ian Williams (both of whom the 9ers have lost). He simply doesn't share any respective jobs with Justin Smith in the respective DL schemes, nor is he anywhere near the equivalent player.

pehawk

Reaction score
My bad for missing the under.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't want to engage you 49er fans anymore than I have to. You bring little if anything to the table and our own members seem to encourage it.

You still owe us 3 non NFCW posts.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
pehawk":2r548nym said:
He knew exactly what I meant, but, since logic gave him no room to bicker

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, as not knowing how various defensive schemes and assignments work is common, whereas saying that Mebane is as important to the Hawks as Justin Smith (or the original comparison, Patrick Willis) is to the 9ers is just silly.

A guy who can plug the middle in two-gap containment is important in both the 3-4 and 4-3 Under, but a lot of guys can do this. Mebane is one of those guys. Glenn Dorsey and Ian WIlliams are two more of them.

Real question: Do you think Mebane's ability + role is more or less important to the Hawks than Michael Bennett? If you had to choose which one would you rather lose for the year? (don't forget that like Justin Smith, Michael Bennett actually stays in on passing downs).

EDIT: Fair enough, pehawk. Say your above post after I hit submit on this one.

chris98251

Reaction score
Mebane is a plug, he also has pass rush and internal press ability that gets overlooked, he is more then a Brokedown Tanker on a sandbar like Wilfolk.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ He definitely developed that reputation in his first couple years, but over the last five seasons he has averaged about 1.5 tackles a game and a single sack per year. He's a plugger at this point. That's an important role in the Hawks' scheme no doubt, but at this point he has proven to be a very one-dimensional player (hence, him only playing on running downs and his % of snaps on the Hawks D decreasing every year for at least the last three years).

In any case, I've DEFINITELY overstayed my welcome in this thread. I'll drop it. :)

pehawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":38izk3p5 said:
^^^ He definitely developed that reputation in his first couple years, but over the last five seasons he has averaged about 1.5 tackles a game and a single sack per year. He's a plugger at this point. That's an important role in the Hawks' scheme no doubt, but at this point he has proven to be a very one-dimensional player (hence, him only playing on running downs and his % of snaps on the Hawks D decreasing every year for at least the last three years).

In any case, I've DEFINITELY overstayed my welcome in this thread. I'll drop it. :)

You don't think Mebane's run stuffing superiority is the reason WHY he can afford to rest in the nickel? He causes a lot of 2 and 9's & 3 and 7's. You get a head on downs changes EVERYTHING. Especially for a really, REALLY good ball-hawking secondary.

You cant just look at snap counts to form your argument, sweetie.

Giedi

Reaction score
Marvin49":2qg79e1c said:
pehawk":2qg79e1c said:
Marvin49":2qg79e1c said:
homerun1970":2qg79e1c said:
I love how the Niner fans tell a Seahawks board what we can or cant do. Mebane is a very unsung part of Seattle's defense. The stats about rushing differential being the best since the 1939 bears someone else put up that wont happen without him in the middle. I see people rave about the back up to Willis ,we don't have that depth at Mebane's spot. The loss is going to hurt.
Sorry to see the loss of any players and the NFC West is hugely snakebit at present.

On the surface, I'd agree with Popeye that the loss of Mebane isn't the equal of a loss like Willis.

However, I think the real question is the difference between the lost player and his replacement if you are going to discuss how impactful the loss is.

So far, Borland has been a monster. There hasn't been much of a dropoff in run support and a small dropoff in coverage. I'm not even sure who will be replacing Mebane so I can't say how big a dropoff that would be. I'd have to depend on you guys to tell me that.

Exactly...Willis is expendable now. Borland's beyond a beast.

You owe me a few non 49er or Seahawks related topics now Marvin49. Come on pookie, do your part.

LOL.

I'll give you this Pehawk...yer consistent. :)

As for the topic, I wouldn't go so far as to say Willis is expendable. 7 time Pro-Bowler, 6 time All-Pro...

...but the play of Borland has definitely offset the loss quite a bit this season.

BTW...who IS replacing Mebane? I know you guys signed Demarcus Dobbs after the Niners let him go, but I can't think he'd be the replacement. I don't know the D-Line rotation well enough for Seattle.
Demarcus is a slasher type DE that can somewhat hold his ground, but I don't think he can be a tree stump like Mebane - that's for sure. That Jordan Hill kid has the size I'd like at that position, but does he have the power to hold ground and shed?

Giedi

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1ktvzshi said:
That sucks. The Seahawks are dealing with a ton of injuries this year thus far too, unfortunately...
It comes with being a Champion, unfortunately. Once the injuries start, they just keep coming unfortunately.

Giedi

Reaction score
Marvin49":3gdvgxjq said:
hawkfan68":3gdvgxjq said:
Huge loss for the 49ers. Borland was one of those guys I wanted the Seahawks to get in last draft. He's playing really well. Borland, Brooks, Bowman, and Willis when they're all healthy. That's arguably the best starting LB corps in the league.

You are missing one.

Aldon Smith. :D

My guess is Brooks is gone after the year so next years starting 4 will likely be...

Aldon Smith, Navorro Bowman, Patrick Willis, Aaron Lynch

...and Borland the first guy off bench and heir apparent for Willis.

Interesting tho...some peeps have said here that they though Pat might be losing a step. He said today it was because this toe has been bothering him for years so this could make him "better than ever" next year.

May or may not come to fruition, but it does take the sting off just a bit.

Also another not so good note...there is a report that Navorro is still feeling pain in the knee. If so...Niners might be as at full strength now as they will be all season.
...on Navorro, that knee pain seems to be similar to the knee pain that Marcus Lattimore had that forced him to retire. while I think Navorro has a good chance of coming back, I have a nagging feeling you are right - and that we might not see Navorro back this year, despite the prediction he will be back in the November/December timeframe area.

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
Giedi":2jrox44d said:
Marvin49":2jrox44d said:
hawkfan68":2jrox44d said:
Huge loss for the 49ers. Borland was one of those guys I wanted the Seahawks to get in last draft. He's playing really well. Borland, Brooks, Bowman, and Willis when they're all healthy. That's arguably the best starting LB corps in the league.

You are missing one.

Aldon Smith. :D

My guess is Brooks is gone after the year so next years starting 4 will likely be...

Aldon Smith, Navorro Bowman, Patrick Willis, Aaron Lynch

...and Borland the first guy off bench and heir apparent for Willis.

Interesting tho...some peeps have said here that they though Pat might be losing a step. He said today it was because this toe has been bothering him for years so this could make him "better than ever" next year.

May or may not come to fruition, but it does take the sting off just a bit.

Also another not so good note...there is a report that Navorro is still feeling pain in the knee. If so...Niners might be as at full strength now as they will be all season.
...on Navorro, that knee pain seems to be similar to the knee pain that Marcus Lattimore had that forced him to retire. while I think Navorro has a good chance of coming back, I have a nagging feeling you are right - and that we might not see Navorro back this year, despite the prediction he will be back in the November/December timeframe area.

Starting to think that as well. All reports till now have been that he looks great, he's sprinting, cutting, etc...

...but I don't want them to rush it. Wilhoite is playing well. He's not Navorro or Patrick, but he's been solid.

I'd rather let him take the year off than come back to early and reinjure that knee.

Aldon coming back tho provides the one thing they have been missing all year. They are on pace for the fewest sacks since like 1981. Aldon by himself in 11 games last year had more pressures than the entire team has this year.

Getting him back is gargantuan.