One reason I respect PC

eastcoast12

Reaction score
Coming in as the new Seahawks coach I heard time and again how the "ra ra" style wouldn't work. But in a quote from yesterday, there was some things he said I respect.

In regards to Golden Tate:

“Golden is a unique football player, as is Russell. At times, they will make better decisions than we can point out. It's not always going to work out, but for the most part, it will. If I didn't think so, we wouldn't do it.”

Tate said after Sunday's game that he feels like every time he touches the ball he has a chance to make a big play.

“He's never not said that,'' Carroll said Monday. “I would tell him, ‘Don't tell me. Show me.' But I totally agree with him. He's got a couple of knucklehead plays in him [like the taunting penalty on his 80-yard TD catch and run at St. Louis] that we've seen, obviously. But in general, there is so much creativity to him that you want to let him create.

“He's an extraordinary natural athlete with great gifts. We saw it in the process of drafting him. You have to come to appreciate him. We didn't respect that enough at first as he was learning to be a player in our system. He's a free-spirited and confident athlete that believes he can do special things in a game.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/1701/carroll-trusts-tate-to-take-chances

Between comments like that and his true approach to competition and the best player playing (see Matt Flynn), I feel so fortunate we have him as a coach.

Go Hawks!

sutz

Reaction score
At long last, we have a coach who tries to fit the 'system' to the talent and not the other way around. :)