"One of our goals this year is to be undefeated"

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
My perspective on the remainder of the schedule:

@Colts - Out of the remaining road games this is the toughest, but Seattle can win this.
Titans - Jake Locker is out with an injury. I dont see the Titans backup beating Seattle at home.
@Cards - Not a good team, and they have no business beating Seattle at home or on the road.
@Rams - See Cards.
Bucs - Garbage team; at home.
@Falcons - Not playing well at all, and we have proven we can beat them. The upgrades to our pass rush should give us the edge here.
Vikings - AP looks human and this game is at home.
Saints - At home, after bye week... Win.
@49ers - They have not shown they can beat Seattle anywhere with Colin. Win.
@Giants - Home or away, we should beat NYG handily. They are HORRIBLE.
Cards - See Cards above.
Rams - See Rams above.

So really its the Colts, Falcons, Saints at home, and the 49ers that should be cause for any concern. They are ALL winnable games provided we remain healthy and play Seahawks football.

Lets not forget we get Harvin back week 7-ish and Okung will be back for the 9ers game.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2xhhjz28 said:
carried the 3?

I did a DVOA projection of the rest of the season. Giving home team +17%, the Hawks meet the Broncos in the SB and BOTH teams enter proundefeated!
That would be epic! I see it as very possible if not solidly probable.

OP
OP
F

Fudwamper

Reaction score
I think the some people are missing the point of this thread.

Can anyone recall when a team speciffically made it their goal to be undefeated this early in the season. I was very surprised to hear that quick "we want to be undeafeated, host the NFC" and win the SB.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
bestfightstory":q459j3gu said:
Yet a large number of people on this board jump anyone who suggests hope that this is a possibility.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves bladda yadda uadda.
Meh, it's our JOB to be wildly optimistic. Seriously if we win against Indianapolis I see us finishing no worse than 14-2. :)

kearly

Reaction score
In all seriousness, I think if we can just make it through this week, I think Seattle's got a real shot. The soft part of the schedule is right around the corner, but the Colts are a major challenge at 10am, especially if Bennett is out. After the Colts, we'll only have two 10 am games left, and those opponents currently sport a 1-7 combined record. With all due respect to the Saints, Seattle is almost unbeatable at home when they are a truly good team, and I'm not worried about any of our divisional games at this point.

ChrisB Bacon

Reaction score
evergreen":jmtapt40 said:
Let's shelve this discussion for a few weeks. I could see the Broncos talking about it as they blow their opponents out every week. Let them talk about it. It doesn't seem like we are where we were at the end of last year. The only thing we're doing better is winning. It's too early to be patting ourselves on the back. Still, when you're up on this team late in the 3rd by 20-3, you better be worried man! We f@cking own the 4th quarter.
See, no. IF you're looking for a team that's going to go undefeated, I think you don't look for the team that comes out of the gates hot, blowing everybody out the water. You simply cannot keep that up for 16 games. At some point they're going to run into a game where they can't coast halfway through the third quarter. Things won't be working like they have all year, Manning will throw a pick or two, and they won't have the experience in grinding out a game to the end that's needed to go 16-0.

That's not even getting into who they've played so far, or who they're going to play the rest of the way. Their first 4 weeks have been a breeze. Baltimore at home is their biggest challenge so far. The other 3 teams (NYG, OAK, PHI) are awful. Looking ahead I could see them losing @DAL, @IND on SNF, KC at home, @NE, or @HOU. They should walk through the rest of their schedule. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up dropping 2 or 3.

Think about Oregon football. They blow out everybody, but there's that one game a year that they come out and for whatever reason can't get it going. At some point, Denver will run into that situation, and they will lose a game. Or two. Or three.

The Hawks have proven to themselves that they're never truly out of the game. No matter if they're down 2+ scores in the 4th quarter, and on the road, and against a top notch defense. They're in their own heads, and in a very, very good way.

dino26

Reaction score
We can definitely do it and cement ourself in history though we all know what the real goal is !

SonicHawk

Reaction score
According to my preseason predictions in the 'Official' thread I said we'd lose this game to the Colts.

I don't even believe myself in that now.

I think the only game I'm worried about the rest of the season is the Saints. And that's at home. And we don't lose at home.

My new prediction: 16-0.

pmedic920

Reaction score
It would be an awesome thing to have on our resume. If it happens great. IMHO, locking up the home field advantage for the playoffs is the goal we should really be shooting for. GoHawks.

grizbob

Reaction score
pmedic920":2gp6yxvu said:
It would be an awesome thing to have on our resume. If it happens great. IMHO, locking up the home field advantage for the playoffs is the goal we should really be shooting for. GoHawks.

Is it possible to go 16-0 and not get home field ? :?

pmedic920

Reaction score
grizbob":1ut4c6ls said:
pmedic920":1ut4c6ls said:

Is it possible to go 16-0 and not get home field ? :?

Absolutely home field advantage would be a byproduct of going 16-0.

There is a psychological side of setting and obtaining goals vs not obtaining them.

IMHO setting the goal of locking up home field advantage is not only obtainable but it's realistic.

IMHO
Setting the goal of going 16-0, on the other hand, is obtainable but not realistic.
Every season two teams get home field advantage. 1 AFC and 1 NFC. How many teams go 16-0 ?

Setting the goal, week to week of going 1-0 is obtainable and realistic. The let down of not obtaining the goal for that week is not the same as the let down that same loss has on the goal of going 16-0.

This is why I feel the goal of HFA is better than the goal of going 16-0.

Greenhell

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":32s6b1pv said:
carried the 3?

I did a DVOA projection of the rest of the season. Giving home team +17%, the Hawks meet the Broncos in the SB and BOTH teams enter undefeated!

Could you imagine that?! Both teams going into the SB with an undefeated record?! And the Hawks with a crushing win to take it all. Denver fans would never be able to live that one down as far as I'm concerned.

bellingerga

Reaction score
If we can get our Offensive line healthy, and if Percy comes back and is the player we all expect him to be...... i think undefeated is possible.

Not probable, but very possible.

pmedic920

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":7zzfc3d0 said:
That's what I call a loser's mentality, pmedic. To hell with not hoping for the stars because you'll probably be disappointed.

There is a reason RW says "1-0 every week". And not yea baby we going 16-0. I for one give him credit for being a very intelligent young man.

Sports science and sports psychology have become a very big thing the last 20 or so years.
The theory that I was using in my response has basis, that basis is not a losers attitude IMO. Even if it may be in yours.

Your response to me, leads me to think that you also believe RW has a loser's mentality.

I'm not trying to argue, only trying to explain my thoughts better.

"GoHawks"

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
If we're 14-0, we aren't resting our starters for 2 weeks. I can't imagine how badly Carroll would love to be one of the few coaches with a 16-0 mark on his record. (Or 19-0...)

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I like the thinking that the team can win every game they play in. I would never expect a player to assume that they are going to lose any set number of games.

Unrealistic? Yes, impossible? NO.

The thing that keeps lingering in the back of my mind is the fact that the Hawks have been winning games despite not truly clicking on offense. It is similar to last year in that the offense started slow while defense and special teams kept them in games. The difference being that last year they just missed on winning a few games and once the offense picked up, there was no stopping them.

Funny, last year the big OT win in Chicago, which featured Wilson using his legs to win, spurred a transformation and last Sunday, in the same type of 10AM PST road game, the Hawks overcame an even bigger deficit to get the unlikely win.

There is no question that the offense will start becoming more productive and once it does, how are they really going to go into any game as anything but the favorite outside of Candlestick?

Lots of football left. Lots of chances to go 1-0 every week.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
pmedic920":1d7d2op5 said:
RolandDeschain":1d7d2op5 said:
That's what I call a loser's mentality, pmedic. To hell with not hoping for the stars because you'll probably be disappointed.

There is a reason RW says "1-0 every week". And not yea baby we going 16-0. I for one give him credit for being a very intelligent young man.

Sports science and sports psychology have become a very big thing the last 20 or so years.
The theory that I was using in my response has basis, that basis is not a losers attitude IMO. Even if it may be in yours.

Your response to me, leads me to think that you also believe RW has a loser's mentality.

I'm not trying to argue, only trying to explain my thoughts better.

"GoHawks"

"Just trying to go 1-0 every week" is a winner's mentality and leads to things like 16-0. That's not what was in your earlier post. Regardless, I don't want to argue about it either. :)

HAPPY THURSDAY EVERYONE!

Sac

Reaction score
Gawd I'd love it so so much if every time a Niner fan mentioned their 5 rings if we could respond with "19-0"