O-Line

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
TreeRon":2ldgwk1n said:
"It's easy to see that Solari likes these guys and requested them." Pure speculation.

Speculation?... If you think Pete and John are not consulting with every coach at every position of need then you have missed an entire decade of proof that they indeed do it constantly.

TreeRon

Reaction score
They may have consulted Solari, which is a long way from Salari requesting these guys which is what you wrote.

John63

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":jhr2mscm said:
So, you know a bunch about all these guys they just signed? And why do you care if others get hyped up about any of the signings? Just curious.

I known how they rated in both pass and run blocking and for pass blocking not good.

John63

Reaction score
Kinger95":333t144n said:
It appears teams are giving a great amount of resources to ensure QB safety and time in the pocket. O-lineman are extremely valuable in today’s NFL, I’d stock up big time if it was my call. Same can be said about guys that get after the QB, pass rushers are worth boatloads right now. And then there’s TE, Interior DT’s , safetys and WR(mostly because the draft is stacked) can’t get half what pass rushers are getting so I think those positions you fill out in FA. Get o line in the draft because it’s too expensive to sign them in FA

Yeah lots of quantity little quality though

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
One way to get an objective view of a player's ability is to look at the ratings for the players he played behind and the ratings of line play for the team he is coming from.
I agree that sometimes a change of scenery is a refresher for a player. Hope that works in our favor, but our record for O Line hasn't been all that great.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":154ty8qd said:
SoulfishHawk":154ty8qd said:
So, you know a bunch about all these guys they just signed? And why do you care if others get hyped up about any of the signings? Just curious.

I known how they rated in both pass and run blocking and for pass blocking not good.

Again, there is very little to back up your claim about them being mainly run blockers. Finney and Shell both have stats that show their pass blocking to be on par or better than their run blocking.

If you'd like to refute that, at least provide some form of analysis. I'd be happy to be educated further on the subject with some actual evidence.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
TreeRon":368gmz72 said:
They may have consulted Solari, which is a long way from Salari requesting these guys which is what you wrote.

So, evidently you are on some sort of correction of posters or something weird like that?....There is more to life

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3gw6lwsw said:
John63":3gw6lwsw said:
SoulfishHawk":3gw6lwsw said:

Again, there is very little to back up your claim about them being mainly run blockers. Finney and Shell both have stats that show their pass blocking to be on par or better than their run blocking.

If you'd like to refute that, at least provide some form of analysis. I'd be happy to be educated further on the subject with some actual evidence.
Don't you understand it's all about RUSS and we need to get the 5 highest rated pass blockers in the NFL so RUSS can throw for 6000 because nothing else matters besides RUSS!!??
I asked the guy how we were supposed to afford Hopkins when he was lamenting Seattle not trading for him cuz RUSS needs more weapons considering we have a QB getting 35 per and AZ has a QB on a rookie contract. Was met with crickets.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Largent80":28mozlol said:
TreeRon":28mozlol said:

So, evidently you are on some sort of correction of posters or something weird like that?....There is more to life

Yes, I have a vocabulary.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":a860tvcs said:
Maelstrom787":a860tvcs said:
John63":a860tvcs said:
SoulfishHawk":a860tvcs said:

Don't you understand it's all about RUSS and we need to get the 5 highest rated pass blockers in the NFL so RUSS can throw for 6000 because nothing else matters besides RUSS!!??
I asked the guy how we were supposed to afford Hopkins when he was lamenting Seattle not trading for him cuz RUSS needs more weapons considering we have a QB getting 35 per and AZ has a QB on a rookie contract. Was met with crickets.

Seems par for the course. As if elite pass blockers are even available, much less for a price that isn't astronomical. We should just sign 5 prime Andrew Whitworths for 2m/yr each.

Some folks just can't comprehend the salary cap or the concept of roster building. They think this is something akin to Hungry Hungry Hippos where you just try to get as many items as possible as the object of the game.

John63

Reaction score
So sorry been busy, as to the oline well I am seeing that Shell

Hmm tied for 7th most sacks https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/brandon-shell/10792

Now Cedric Ogbuehi Hmm only played 155 snaps last year, 54 the year before, Now in 2017 when he played 665 snaps he was 5th in sacks allowed https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/cedric-ogbuehi/9454?season=2017

B.J. Finney lets see now here we may have something 2019 325 snaps only 1 sack overall rank 56.9 so half a seasons worth, only 1 sack but a bad rating. 2018 only 165 snaps, 2017 234 snaps, So basically he has never played a whole season, but can play many positions, and may have some potential but at best a question mark. https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/bj-finney/9875?season=2019

So yeah under whelmed 2 of the 3 are bad pass blockers and the other is a question mark.

Now as to the whole everything is about Wilson, no everything is about the one position we can't loose and still have a chance of winning. Any real fan who has watched knows if Wilson goes down we are screwed, and since 2012 we have never had an oline better than 20th at pass blocking. I would think a real fan would be furious that they are not doing more to protect him. Now we have signed 2 oline man in the only years they played close to a full season were top 10 in sacks. Yeah we all should not be happy about this.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":2cn8xnxf said:

Now Cedric Ogbuehi Hmm only played 155 snaps last year, 54 the year before, Now in 2017 when he played 665 snaps he was 5th in sacks allowed https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/cedric-ogbuehi/9454?season=2017

B.J. Finney lets see now here we may have something 2019 325 snaps only 1 sack overall rank 56.9 so half a seasons worth, only 1 sack but a bad rating. 2018 only 165 snaps, 2017 234 snaps, So basically he has never played a whole season, but can play many positions, and may have some potential but at best a question mark. https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/bj-finney/9875?season=2019

So yeah under whelmed 2 of the 3 are bad pass blockers and the other is a question mark.

Now as to the whole everything is about Wilson, no everything is about the one position we can't loose and still have a chance of winning. Any real fan who has watched knows if Wilson goes down we are screwed, and since 2012 we have never had an oline better than 20th at pass blocking. I would think a real fan would be furious that they are not doing more to protect him. Now we have signed 2 oline man in the only years they played close to a full season were top 10 in sacks. Yeah we all should not be happy about this.

That says nothing of their run blocking. Your claim that their pass blocking is comparatively poor across the board compared to their run blocking holds no water, and your post here does little to support the claim.

You cannot sign sure-thing offensive linemen for the backup prices that Finney and Shell are getting. Ogbuehi's contract is, from what I've heard, incentive-laden with a low base salary under $2m.

Here's the facts: Shell has performed slightly better than Ifedi throughout his career, with less penalties, and we're signing him for about half of what Ifedi's supposed market value was. Yeah, he's not the best right tackle in the league. Neither was Ifedi. Incremental improvement at the position for under market value is good, no matter how you slice it.

Finney, in limited action, has played competently - especially at center. He's coming in at a very low price. His pass blocking is his best trait according to evaluators.

Ogbuehi has sucked - but most backup lineman do. He has potential due to his excellent measurables and it looks like he's going to be strictly a backup tackle and maybe 6th lineman, taking over Fant's role.

Plus, we just signed Chance Warmack, another guard. More depth, more potential. And this is BEFORE going into the draft. They've done well so far, without overpaying. Maybe this line isn't up to your frankly unreasonable standards, but in a league where offensive line talent is hard to find without bankrupting the team, I'm satisfied with this free agency period for OL.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
TreeRon":umvicetk said:
Largent80":umvicetk said:
TreeRon":umvicetk said:

Yes, I have a vocabulary.
Add a brain and an ability to come up with something that is the actual subject, then your credibility will maybe be considered.
Maybe climbing a tree is your forte?

John63

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1x1hc7ve said:
John63":1x1hc7ve said:

That says nothing of their run blocking. Your claim that their pass blocking is comparatively poor across the board compared to their run blocking holds no water, and your post here does little to support the claim.

You cannot sign sure-thing offensive linemen for the backup prices that Finney and Shell are getting. Ogbuehi's contract is, from what I've heard, incentive-laden with a low base salary under $2m.

Here's the facts: Shell has performed slightly better than Ifedi throughout his career, with less penalties, and we're signing him for about half of what Ifedi's supposed market value was. Yeah, he's not the best right tackle in the league. Neither was Ifedi. Incremental improvement at the position for under market value is good, no matter how you slice it.

Finney, in limited action, has played competently - especially at center. He's coming in at a very low price. His pass blocking is his best trait according to evaluators.

Ogbuehi has sucked - but most backup lineman do. He has potential due to his excellent measurables and it looks like he's going to be strictly a backup tackle and maybe 6th lineman, taking over Fant's role.

Plus, we just signed Chance Warmack, another guard. More depth, more potential. And this is BEFORE going into the draft. They've done well so far, without overpaying. Maybe this line isn't up to your frankly unreasonable standards, but in a league where offensive line talent is hard to find without bankrupting the team, I'm satisfied with this free agency period for OL.

It is a given they can run block, that is what PC puts a premium on. I am concerned with pass blocking and none have proven they are good at that. FyI my standards are not in reasonable just get 15 or higher in pass blocking that would be avg. I am glad your satisfied I and others are not.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":2e35spvi said:
Maelstrom787":2e35spvi said:
John63":2e35spvi said:

It is a given they can run block, that is what PC puts a premium on. I am concerned with pass blocking and none have proven they are good at that. FyI my standards are not in reasonable just get 15 or higher in pass blocking that would be avg. I am glad your satisfied I and others are not.

Again, nothing to back up your original claim that they're good at run blocking and bad at pass blocking, because there's not much there to actually back it up.

Good linemen don't grow on trees. They cost a LOT of money, these days. Sacrifices have to be made in order to field a team with a franchise QB under a big contract, not to mention one that badly needs an infusion of talent in the (also expensive) pass rush department. Value needs to be taken where it can be found, and they've gotten good value for some players that are serviceable on the OL. Not every player can be an all-star pass protector, unless you want to pay half your salary cap to your line.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
4 new OL is a big statement. Can't say we are not trying. Multiple previous first round picks and guys who have playing experience. We won't have to worry about versatility or inexperience. Lots of camp competition and I'm sure Duane Brown is ready to lead this new group.

John63

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1se92478 said:
4 new OL is a big statement. Can't say we are not trying. Multiple previous first round picks and guys who have playing experience. We won't have to worry about versatility or inexperience. Lots of camp competition and I'm sure Duane Brown is ready to lead this new group.

Quantity over quality that's for sure.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
John63":22wmnrnl said:

Any team that loses (not looses) it's starting QB is screwed. You post the same thing ad naseum.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
John63":122m7ti8 said:
Wenhawk":122m7ti8 said:

I would argue that 3 of 4 of these signing has immense physical talent. They are not signing Joey Hunt's here. They are signing giants who have at one point or another shown to be very successful.

Cedric Ogbuehi 6'5 308lbs former 1st rd pick #21
Chance Warmack 6'2 323lbs former 1st rd pick #10
Brandon Shell 6'5 324lbs near physical carbon coy of Ifedi.

So we didn't sign the Top Rated OL but I do think when the Seahawks have gone this method where they flood a position with new talent it has seemed to work out pretty well for us. We still have draft picks, who to say we don't use one of our top 3 pick on OL but this gives us the ability to not have to trust a rookie to protect Wilson and we sure didn't' break the bank. Seem very strategic to me.

John63

Reaction score
Wenhawk":arff1tdd said:
John63":arff1tdd said:
Wenhawk":arff1tdd said:

I would argue that 3 of 4 of these signing has immense physical talent. They are not signing Joey Hunt's here. They are signing giants who have at one point or another shown to be very successful.

Cedric Ogbuehi 6'5 308lbs former 1st rd pick #21
Chance Warmack 6'2 323lbs former 1st rd pick #10
Brandon Shell 6'5 324lbs near physical carbon coy of Ifedi.

So we didn't sign the Top Rated OL but I do think when the Seahawks have gone this method where they flood a position with new talent it has seemed to work out pretty well for us. We still have draft picks, who to say we don't use one of our top 3 pick on OL but this gives us the ability to not have to trust a rookie to protect Wilson and we sure didn't' break the bank. Seem very strategic to me.

And I would argue as I pointed out based on performance they are at best avg and with regards to passing below avg. This is the same methodology they have used for years and in that time the oline pass protection has never even got close to middle of the pack.