O-Line

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
sutz":1x4kb719 said:
Largent80":1x4kb719 said:
With all these veteran signings so far in FA I think they will add someone in the draft.
They pretty much do every draft. These signings do change the priority a bit, so our OL picks can be based on talent more than need.

Also looks like Pete won't get his wish, when he said he wanted to keep as many starters as possible. If the new guys are good enough, maybe there won't be a significant continuity penalty.

I've been amazed by the number of significant OL signings by teams in this opening salvo of FA. That indicates to me we stand a great chance of taking advantage of one of this draft's greatest strengths, which is O Line. So you would think things are looking up for us on that front. Our own FA moves make me agree we're looking toward that solution. We didn't sign anything but temp bandades. If so this draft could fix our O Line problem for a good stretch.

Same applies to DE/Rush. Wowzer what a whirlwind of signings at that spot. Nearly every candidate on the board found a home...except the one we want most. Maybe we'll get our guy and still have a shot in the draft at one of the best for that spot too. There aren't all that many teams really hurting at that spot now.

John63

Reaction score
So I am good with the OL signings, but not with he type. All so far are run blockers with questionable pass blocking. That once again is a concern.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
So, you know a bunch about all these guys they just signed? And why do you care if others get hyped up about any of the signings? Just curious.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Basically they got 2 guys with experience for 1 (Fant). Plus they get Solari as coach. These are solid signings on the cheap.

Draft a center and guard and we're going to have a good line for several years.

TreeRon

Reaction score
The only one that's an upgrade is Finney. The other two are low level journeymen. Meh.
So far, Russell's wish for "stars" as gone unheeded.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
One of them is a first rounder that will be coached by one of the best. He deserves a chance in a new system.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Largent80":1sezgb2s said:
One of them is a first rounder that will be coached by one of the best. He deserves a chance in a new system.

He'll get that chance, but being once a first rounder and now a dud? Having been a first rounder or even a 7th rounder means jack squat once you're a NFL veteran. If he were to be drafted NOW off his NFL play he'd a UDFA.

Iupati is better and Ifedi is better than the other guy.

jmahon316

Reaction score
TreeRon":41926pfw said:
Largent80":41926pfw said:

He'll get that chance, but being once a first rounder and now a dud? Having been a first rounder or even a 7th rounder means jack squat once you're a NFL veteran. If he were to be drafted NOW off his NFL play he'd a UDFA.

Actually I've seen Jets fans have said the opposite. Not by much, but an improvement is an improvement, especially at a way cheaper price than what Ifedi might go for this year and forward,

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Not that I think this will actually happen but since Ifedi is not getting any takers who is to say we are not bringing him back again. On the plus side he has been mostly injury free and has shown improvement. It would not surprise me to see him get a little bit better over the next few years. As many penalties he has made I think he has also shown to be a very powerful and sometimes successful player. I don't hate him, but don't want to spend $10mil.

Jville

Reaction score
He's an Iron Man.

Germain Ifedi has answered the call and taken every snap in two out of his four years.

Got to love his core strength. He's an Iron Man.

kf3339

Reaction score
I personally think our O-Line coach was very involved with our FA picks for his blocking system. You have to trust that he knows what he is doing.

Kinger95

Reaction score
It appears teams are giving a great amount of resources to ensure QB safety and time in the pocket. O-lineman are extremely valuable in today’s NFL, I’d stock up big time if it was my call. Same can be said about guys that get after the QB, pass rushers are worth boatloads right now. And then there’s TE, Interior DT’s , safetys and WR(mostly because the draft is stacked) can’t get half what pass rushers are getting so I think those positions you fill out in FA. Get o line in the draft because it’s too expensive to sign them in FA

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
TreeRon":1dqjb0vw said:
Largent80":1dqjb0vw said:

Sometimes a player moving to a new team helps dramatically. And I didn't say being a first rounder was anything more than that except to say a team felt good enough to take that player there. Give the guy a chance before making an assumption from another teams scheme and coaches.

Iupati is trash and can't stay on the field, and Ifedi is available for a reason, NOT GOOD ENOUGH for even a 5th round option. He played in a lot of games so where is a dramatic improvement even with one of the best coaches in the league?

TreeRon

Reaction score
We can argue about the value of Iupati and Ifedi all day. We would agree, I hope, that we need better however. IMO, these two guys do not appear, based on PFF, to be the upgrades we had been hoping for. BTW, PFF is not the end all and be all but they're the only "objective" measure we have.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Ifedi isn't signed for a reason. After 5 years all he has going for him is he's been lucky enough to be basically injury free. He is always tops in the league at pre-snap drive killing penalties...after 5 stinkin years. He's also over valuing himself. The Hawks said, ok we'll get 2 journeymen for the price of Fant and hey Germaine, one of them can play RT.

As for Iupati, he hasn't played a full season in years and isn't getting any younger.

It's easy to see that Solari likes these guys and requested them. I'll go with him and the front office on this.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":sgi4xrfu said:
So I am good with the OL signings, but not with he type. All so far are run blockers with questionable pass blocking. That once again is a concern.

I don't think there's much to back up your statement here.

Brandon Shell's 2019 PFF ratings were 64.7 in pass blocking and 63.6 in run blocking. This compared to Ifedi grading out at 63.3 PB/58.8 RB. Stats obtained via article here: https://www-1.thenewstribune.com/sports ... 0281.html#

BJ Finney is renowned specifically for his pass blocking prowess in limited action. He's played in a reserve role for his career, but again, in limited action he's played very well at center and guard.

ETWlxU7WkAUh7vrformatjpgnamelarge

As for Ogbuehi, he's more of a reclamation project. He presumably slots into the Fant role of reserve tackle who primarily plays as an extra lineman in heavy sets. Ogbuehi is long armed, has a prototypical tackle body, and is about as good of a developmental guy as you'd want on the roster.

TreeRon

Reaction score
"It's easy to see that Solari likes these guys and requested them." Pure speculation.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
TreeRon":erwx1mqz said:
We can argue about the value of Iupati and Ifedi all day. We would agree, I hope, that we need better however. IMO, these two guys do not appear, based on PFF, to be the upgrades we had been hoping for. BTW, PFF is not the end all and be all but they're the only "objective" measure we have.

PFF is objective? What a load of baloney. They are guessing what alignments or plays are being called. They don't know unless they were in the huddle with 11 other guys. While they may be more of experts than most on here, the ratings are opinions and should be taken with a grain of salt.

TreeRon

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1t941y7m said:
TreeRon":1t941y7m said:

PFF is objective? What a load of baloney. They are guessing what alignments or plays are being called. They don't know unless they were in the huddle with 11 other guys. While they may be more of experts than most on here, the ratings are opinions and should be taken with a grain of salt.

That's why the quotes.
If you have another form of measurement that isn't completely subjective, show me.
PFF is certainly more "objective" than ....'the guys on the Jet's forum' .....or some such.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
TreeRon":1wrv1n6w said:
hawkfan68":1wrv1n6w said:
TreeRon":1wrv1n6w said:

That's why the quotes.
If you have another form of measurement that isn't completely subjective, show me.
PFF is certainly more "objective" than ....'the guys on the Jet's forum' .....or some such.

Ratings are very opinionated. No site or person is going to be truly objective. I don't take into consideration anyone's ratings other than the team that chooses the player. For example, look who PFF has as their top free agent in 2020 - Jameis Winston - https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-the-50-best-available-nfl-free-agents-in-2020. That in itself destroys any credibility right there. No way Winston, after his play last season, should be considered as the top FA.