Rotating O line

LTH

Reaction score
I guess somebody says it not good to rotate the O line. Seems that Pete disagrees. I can see that teams want to have continuity on the O line and that is exactly what the Hawks want.

The only thing is they also want to develope players. You can not develope players unless you play them and so all the offensive line injuries that have seemingly hampered the O, is NOT a bad thing.... especially when they are winning on top of it.

Maybe the offense is slower to develope but it's developing continuity as a whole....and not just because the rookies are getting playing time.... but it's about the vets like Peters finding their role both on the field and chemestry in the locker room.

I have to say that both Carroll and Schneider have done an excellent job of putting together both rookies and veteran leadership for the chemistry of this team.

So hear it is... this team is special they are VERY WELL coached ....and after this last game against the Dawgs they can make a serious case about whose the actual DAWG'S are! Can't wait till the O finds rhythm!

Thoughts?

LTH

sutz

Reaction score
I think all teams rotate their O-linemen during games. They almost have to. Hardly anybody really plays all of a team's snaps, especially on something as physically taxing as the game in the pits. How they handle that appears to be the trick. It matters, and it matters in practice as well, so that the backups and rotational guys know what plays are likely to be called in game and learn to work together as a unit, even when guys are substituted.

The usual way they do it is to put guys in for 1 or 2 series in-game to see how they do; not more than 1 or maybe 2 guys at a time. It's not like hockey where you periodically change the whole line. However they do it, our guys are doing very well, given the number of subs we've had to use this season.

Yeah, Dickerson might be the best O-line coach we've seen here in many years.

chrispy

Reaction score
In the Leonard Williams thread, several brought up the point that there may be a greater need on the OL than the DL. I wonder if Jason Peters coming in makes PC/JS feel more secure re:OL. Obviously, we haven't seen much of him but he's been practicing in Seattle since mid-Sept. If Peters starts at RT this Sunday, it seems like a logical conclusion to me that PC/JS are confident in the OL depth. Lucas should be back soon and that provides solid, borderline-starter-level backups across the OL. The fact PC/JS went after LWilliams paints a pic to me that they feel DL, especially a DT with some flexibility to move around, might be that elusive missing link.

I know that's not precisely on topic, but the point is not to forget Jason Peters. He potentially upgrades every other second string OL.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
In the Leonard Williams thread, several brought up the point that there may be a greater need on the OL than the DL. I wonder if Jason Peters coming in makes PC/JS feel more secure re:OL. Obviously, we haven't seen much of him but he's been practicing in Seattle since mid-Sept. If Peters starts at RT this Sunday, it seems like a logical conclusion to me that PC/JS are confident in the OL depth. Lucas should be back soon and that provides solid, borderline-starter-level backups across the OL. The fact PC/JS went after LWilliams paints a pic to me that they feel DL, especially a DT with some flexibility to move around, might be that elusive missing link.

I know that's not precisely on topic, but the point is not to forget Jason Peters. He potentially upgrades every other second string OL.
I guess we will find out how much he plays... I think they wanted to see what he offered the team. He was in on that final drive vs the Browns. Looked pretty good to me...

LTH

BigMeach

Reaction score
Pete quite literally brought up the rotating O line pieces in his presser today and how it's weird the league has almost a policy for not rotating O linemen. He shrugged about it and spoke as if he just didn't understand that. Clearly he will continue to rotate Olinemen to keep them fresh and get them playtime.

Jville

Reaction score
I guess somebody says it not good to rotate the O line. Seems that Pete disagrees. I can see that teams want to have continuity on the O line and that is exactly what the Hawks want.

The only thing is they also want to develope players. You can not develope players unless you play them and so all the offensive line injuries that have seemingly hampered the O, is NOT a bad thing.... especially when they are winning on top of it.

Maybe the offense is slower to develope but it's developing continuity as a whole....and not just because the rookies are getting playing time.... but it's about the vets like Peters finding their role both on the field and chemestry in the locker room.

I have to say that both Carroll and Schneider have done an excellent job of putting together both rookies and veteran leadership for the chemistry of this team.

So hear it is... this team is special they are VERY WELL coached ....and after this last game against the Dawgs they can make a serious case about whose the actual DAWG'S are! Can't wait till the O finds rhythm!

Thoughts?

LTH

****Pete Carroll, Seahawks Demonstrating Adaptability Rotating Offensive Linemen****​

Corbin Smith's excellent article appeared a couple hours after your post >>> https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/seattle-seahawks-pete-carroll-jason-peters-rotating-offensive-linemen

"In the past, like most coaches, Carroll likely would have shied away from such an arrangement in favor of continuity. But after finding success platooning Haynes and Gabe Jackson at right guard last season and watching line coach Andy Dickerson work his magic playing musical chairs at multiple positions this year, the adaptable coach has warmed up the idea of rotating offensive linemen under certain circumstances.

“We’re trying to get out of that thought that you can’t rotate offensive linemen," Carroll explained. "We’re just trying to grow through that because we rotate guys everywhere. Particularly guys that have earned their way and they’re worthy of being out there, they deserve to play, and it makes us better if they do play."

"From Carroll's viewpoint, along with acknowledging the fantastic coaching job by line coach Andy Dickerson, the Seahawks owe the continued success while playing musical chairs in part due to the fact players such as Forsythe, Haynes, and Jake Curhan have been thrust into game action as part of platoons in the past. As the team keeps navigating through injuries, the once foreign concept of rotating players in the trenches doesn't look to be going away anytime soon."

Reactions: LTH

seahawks08

Reaction score
I feel this concept works best outside the red zone. Execution in the red zone requires more precision and execution. Currently the rotation helps with on the job training so that when the moment arises, everyone has had enough live reps. Pete feel’s doing just enough to win will keep the players fresh as the season progresses. This way you end up having no weak links.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
In Carrolls presser he made it adamant that the Seahawks are trying to break the trend of not rotating linemen. They rotate everyone else already so Olinemen should not be abstained from it either. If it works and there is cohesion, then I don't see why not.

They just all gotta stay on the same page.

getnasty

Reaction score
I think it boils down to seeing who's gonna play the best when it matters. Obviously most of the rotating is due to injuries and at this point there just moving guys around to compete and see who best fits where.

Reactions: LTH

chrispy

Reaction score
Pete and Andy Dickerson and the players being positive re: OL rotation is good and fine. However, Geno has to be comfortable with the subtle nuances of different player's strengths and weaknesses as they enter/exit. That could be an added reason he's been regressing a bit of late. Once Abe Lucas is back, I'm hoping Geno's confidence increases in his protection.

cymatica

Reaction score
I think all teams rotate their O-linemen during games. They almost have to. Hardly anybody really plays all of a team's snaps, especially on something as physically taxing as the game in the pits.

Huh? Normal for dline not online. I don't know of any team that rotates olinemen

Mick063

Reaction score
Bringing in Peters, Clark, and Williams for a likely "half season" window of use is a very clear indication that the staff believes they can get it done this year. Those moves just screams "Win it all now." These are anticipatory depth moves designed to survive a marathon (which includes rotating the offensive lineman).

It also brings up the speculation that Carroll is in his "last hurrah" phase, doesn't see himself in this position ever again, and is pushing in all his chips for his last best chance at a Super Bowl.

This is very likely the last, best chance for Pete Carroll, and he knows it. From that perspective, it makes the concept of preserving a second-round draft pick seem irrelevant. Why would you care about grooming a future second round player if you believe that this is your last, best shot? In that regard, the sudden downward trajectory of the Forty Niners, making a home playoff game possible, adds even more fuel to "the time is now" mentality. In other words, if the Niners still looked like they did three weeks ago, I don't know if the Seahawks pull the trigger on that Williams trade.

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score
Bringing in Peters, Clark, and Williams for a likely "half season" window of use is a very clear indication that the staff believes they can get it done this year. Those moves just scream "Win it all now." These are anticipatory depth moves designed to survive a marathon (which includes rotating the offensive lineman).

It also brings up the speculation that Carroll is in his "last hurrah" phase, doesn't see himself in this position ever again, and is pushing in all his chips for his last best chance at a Super Bowl.

This is very likely the last, best chance for Pete Carroll, and he knows it. From that perspective, it makes the concept of preserving a second-round draft pick seem irrelevant. Why would you care about grooming a future second round player if you believe that this is your last, best shot?
bingo

keasley45

Reaction score
Bringing in Peters, Clark, and Williams for a likely "half season" window of use is a very clear indication that the staff believes they can get it done this year. Those moves just scream "Win it all now." These are anticipatory depth moves designed to survive a marathon (which includes rotating the offensive lineman).

This is very likely the last, best chance for Pete Carroll, and he knows it. From that perspective, it makes the concept of preserving a second-round draft pick seem irrelevant. Why would you care about grooming a future second round player if you believe that this is your last, best shot?
And what makes that sweet is that i'm sure, beyond their own individual motivation, is that the players want to win it for the old man before he hangs'em up.

Jville

Reaction score

This is very likely the last, best chance for Pete Carroll, and he knows it. From that perspective, it makes the concept of preserving a second-round draft pick seem irrelevant. Why would you care about grooming a future second round player if you believe that this is your last, best shot? In that regard, the sudden downward trajectory of the Forty Niners, making a home playoff game possible, adds even more fuel to "the time is now" mentality. In other words, If the Niners still looked like they did three weeks ago, I don't know if the Seahawks pull the trigger on that Williams trade.

Jodie can hold off the administrative state only so long from seizing estate taxes. Last plausible date I heard was 2025. But whether paying the administrative state can be delayed another year or not, this wonderful era of football will come to an end in the near future. But not before Andy Dickerson builds an epic blocking game.

So there is a very real argument that the future is now. What comes after this current era is unknown. It will likely unfold simultaneously with my departure as a fan.

These are the best of times.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Rotating O-lineman makes sense in that individual players have strengths and weaknesses in their games, which leads one to logically align the offensive play-calling with the personnel currently on the field.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
And what makes that sweet is that i'm sure, beyond their own individual motivation, is that the players want to win it for the old man before he hangs'em up.
You think this is Carroll's last year? I hope not! I'm hoping for another 5 year contract... lol I guess if he won a SB it would be a great time to hang it up. That would be a sad day.

LTH

chrispy

Reaction score
Pete and Andy Dickerson and the players being positive re: OL rotation is good and fine. However, Geno has to be comfortable with the subtle nuances of different player's strengths and weaknesses as they enter/exit. That could be an added reason he's been regressing a bit of late. Once Abe Lucas is back, I'm hoping Geno's confidence increases in his protection.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score

This is very likely the last, best chance for Pete Carroll, and he knows it. From that perspective, it makes the concept of preserving a second-round draft pick seem irrelevant. Why would you care about grooming a future second round player if you believe that this is your last, best shot? In that regard, the sudden downward trajectory of the Forty Niners, making a home playoff game possible, adds even more fuel to "the time is now" mentality. In other words, if the Niners still looked like they did three weeks ago, I don't know if the Seahawks pull the trigger on that Williams trade.
Giving up a second round pick is not “pushing in all his chips”. People think we gave up the farm to get this guy. I have no idea when Pete is going to retire but IMHO this is not and indicator of anything other than getting a good player. They have given up more for less in the past. Also John Schneider is also involved in the process and I don’t think he is hanging anything up anytime soon. Who knows they may deal DK in the offseason and get some draft picks. Who knows. Not us.