Norton new Raiders DC

DavidSeven

Reaction score
ShaunPope":18tcsk93 said:
I'd gladly take Norton over Richard. Pete is the true DB coach. Norton is a tone setter and an animal. Brilliant LB coach as well.

Call me naive, but I'll trust Pete to scout his own coaching talent over what we perceive in Mic'ed Up videos.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
ShaunPope":3bcu8tua said:
I'd gladly take Norton over Richard. Pete is the true DB coach. Norton is a tone setter and an animal. Brilliant LB coach as well.
And Pete Carroll gladly disagrees with you

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Uncle Si":rt0jgdu0 said:
MizzouHawkGal":rt0jgdu0 said:
pehawk":rt0jgdu0 said:
I'm just glad I have a reason to kind of hate the Raiders again.
Not me given I pray for anybody in that division to do anything about Denver. If that means the Raiders being an actual NFL level football team again so be it. In fact I would like to see the AFC in general get far more competitive because it's ridiculous that the same 4-5 teams have been going to the Superbowl for the last 15 or more years.

Well I enjoyed hating the Raiders in the 80s/90s. Happy to do so again under even the most flimsy of circumstances.

"You stole our coach!!! Screw you Al Davis/Jim Plunkett/Marcus Allen/Cliff Branch/Ray Guy!!!"
But the thing is I hate Denver far more then I do the Raiders because it's too much effort to hate a team as inept as the Raiders have been for the last 15 or so years. Also losing assistant coaches is part the deal that good teams deal with every year so I don't understand all the angst.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3eimmnls said:
ShaunPope":3eimmnls said:

Call me naive, but I'll trust Pete to scout his own coaching talent over what we perceive in Mic'ed Up videos.

It has nothing to do with Mic'd up videos. Norton has been Carroll's lieutenant general for the last 10 years. This year's defense will be the post-Ken Norton, Jr. defense. Good luck to him in Oakland.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Well deserved promotion, I wish him luck with the Raiders. They got one hell of a football coach!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1pa12jqj said:
Uncle Si":1pa12jqj said:
MizzouHawkGal":1pa12jqj said:
pehawk":1pa12jqj said:
Not me given I pray for anybody in that division to do anything about Denver. If that means the Raiders being an actual NFL level football team again so be it. In fact I would like to see the AFC in general get far more competitive because it's ridiculous that the same 4-5 teams have been going to the Superbowl for the last 15 or more years.

Well I enjoyed hating the Raiders in the 80s/90s. Happy to do so again under even the most flimsy of circumstances.

"You stole our coach!!! Screw you Al Davis/Jim Plunkett/Marcus Allen/Cliff Branch/Ray Guy!!!"
But the thing is I hate Denver far more then I do the Raiders because it's too much effort to hate a team as inept as the Raiders have been for the last 15 or so years. Also losing assistant coaches is part the deal that good teams deal with every year so I don't understand all the angst.

Well Mizzou it's like this:

When I was just a young boy, completely unable to control my emotions in regards to watching sports, the Raiders absolutely gutted the Seahawks. Like every damned year. I will always hate them. In fact, they are the only team I hate.

I'm not pretending this to be rational. I once cried when Ray Guy hit a punt out at our 1 yard line. Screw him.

And I have no angst about Norton. I just want to another reason to rekindle my burning hatred.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":7e4yn29b said:
Uncle Si":7e4yn29b said:
MizzouHawkGal":7e4yn29b said:
pehawk":7e4yn29b said:

I grew up picking fights with Raiders fans though. Fighting Raiders fans was a rite of passage ceremony.

Fighting Raiders fans was to young Seattle males what bar mitzvah's are to Muslims.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Wow....

pissed-off-o.gif

ShaunPope

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1d4k2pqi said:
ShaunPope":1d4k2pqi said:

And why would that mean anything to me? He also disagreed with me on what play they should've ran from inside the 1.

kjreid

Reaction score
Of Course it is Oakland, give it two years and the whole coaching staff will be fired and he will be our LB coach again. Oakland eats their own.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
ShaunPope":3qfob1ip said:
Hawkfan77":3qfob1ip said:
ShaunPope":3qfob1ip said:

And why would that mean anything to me? He also disagreed with me on what play they should've ran from inside the 1.
Well the LB coach and DC positions are available... :roll:

amill87

Reaction score
hawknation2015":d9t8imsu said:
DavidSeven":d9t8imsu said:
ShaunPope":d9t8imsu said:

It has nothing to do with Mic'd up videos. Norton has been Carroll's lieutenant general for the last 10 years. This year's defense will be the post-Ken Norton, Jr. defense. Good luck to him in Oakland.

Why hasn't Norton been the DC than? Why not promote him now?

Things aren't always as they seem. I honestly don't know who is the better assistant but the players that set the tone on our defense are in the secondary, not the linebackers.

And let's be real for a second. Other than Wagner, our linebackers are the weakest unit on the defense. I'm not saying that's Nortons fault but it's not like we have the leagues best linebacker group

Mick063

Reaction score
Raiders have a franchise quarterback. I think they will rise quickly.

ShaunPope

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":19o3c55l said:
ShaunPope":19o3c55l said:
Hawkfan77":19o3c55l said:
ShaunPope":19o3c55l said:

Well the LB coach and DC positions are available... :roll:
OK...

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm going to trust Pete when it comes to his own staff on who is the better fit for the team. Good for Norton though, always been a fan of his since joining Seattle.

Hyak

Reaction score
You always hate to lose talent but Pete's whole view on this is to support upward mobility.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
amill87":3gh9ts2a said:
hawknation2015":3gh9ts2a said:
DavidSeven":3gh9ts2a said:
ShaunPope":3gh9ts2a said:

Why hasn't Norton been the DC than? Why not promote him now?

Things aren't always as they seem. I honestly don't know who is the better assistant but the players that set the tone on our defense are in the secondary, not the linebackers.

And let's be real for a second. Other than Wagner, our linebackers are the weakest unit on the defense. I'm not saying that's Nortons fault but it's not like we have the leagues best linebacker group

Sometimes great position coaches are better suited as position coaches. He sets the intensity of practices. He lets every new player who walks through the door know how they should be approaching every waking moment on this team. His developmental skills are unparalleled . . . he coached like five or six All-American LBs at SC . . . multiple first round picks. Bobby Wagner is a Pro Bowler. K.J. Wright had 107 tackles this year. Bruce Irvin didn't know much about playing LB until Norton. Have you noticed how ridiculously intense so many of our players are? It's a big loss; there's no other way to slice it.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
What others said. Pete's only goal is to make his assistants get the dreams of their lives.

jake206

Reaction score
To me, this is a HUGE loss, more so than Quinn. He is like what Cable is to the offense. Norton was the big disciplinarian in the love thy brother ...emo-fest of Carroll. Without him, the toughness of the defense is weakened. I don't think we'll be as good on defense, especially the linebackers. Big step back. Unless Carroll has another multi-SuperBowl winning linebacker coach...I think this is a big mistake.

HawkGA

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":2xclt0di said:
What others said. Pete's only goal is to make his assistants get the dreams of their lives.

Do that enough and good assistants will come to you.