Seahawks Hiring Ravens DC Mike Macdonald As New HC

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Ben Johnson. I wanted an offensive genius (Xs,Os) so we can finally go head to head with the Rams and Niners. I get the attraction of having a dominant defense again, but those types of defenses don't come along often and take time to build. When they do, they don't last long due to free agency and the cap. Also, a defensive coach usually means a so-so offense that will hide behind the defense. Yes, I know we won that way before--but I'm tired of watching a stuttering and sputtering style offense. I want to see an offense I have complete confidence in rather than an offense I have to cross my fingers and hope they can complete a drive in a touchdown. Also, a defensive coach usually means the offense is going to take a back seat to the defense. Again, the offense will be hiding behind the defense.

If we get a genius Xs and Os OC out the deal then I will really be ecstatic. We'll have the best of both worlds. But I doubt it will happen. Not trying to be a downer--just tired of our offensive struggles and the Rams and Niners offenses making the defense's head spin.

(I couldn't find Eeyore.)

FlayvaMeister

Reaction score
God Bless John Schneider. The dude will build the 2nd coming of the LOB, come hell or high water. When he was asked about what was missing from the team over the years, his response was always along the same lines.. attitude, swag, intimidation. We will now have that. no doubt. Offense is cool. Defense that dominates with an offense that's effective and punishes on the ground is the new (old) formula, and we will be at the head of the line with a Mac Truck to plow through the opposition.

The 49ers better get theirs while they can. The beast has been awakened.
Although the bold may be true -- and seeing that winning one's division is the easiest way to punch a team's ticket into the playoffs -- I doubt Lynch a defensive-minded GM sits idly by, and does nothing to counter moves made by other NFCW opponents. I believe this move will only make the NFCW more competitive in the near future. Time will tell :unsure:

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Macdonald was always my 1st choice if I was making the decision wasn’t sure JS felt the same way. Ravens are my favorite AFC team and one of the 3 teams local to me I have studied the Ravens a while and like their style of play ( defense, good running game and are bullies). The defense that Macdonald reminds me of the zone blitz defense which was first invented by Dolphins DC Bill Arnsparger in 1971 and later perfected by Dick Lebeau with his first stint with the Bengals

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
I just hope MacDonald or the new OC don't get run out of town before getting at least 3 years to implement their scheme and personnel.

I can see the NET pundits now....

The OC's plays are predictable.
He doesn't know how to use Geno.
Too many running plays.
He should have kept Geno.
The OL is terrible.
Defense sucks.

keasley45

Reaction score
View attachment 64309

(I couldn't find Eeyore.)

This is why I maintain that Johnson was never the top choice for us. I think it was always Mike. Johnson may have been on their radar, but John had to know that the guy wasn't going to be an ideal fit, culture wise. From reports, he wasn't remotely the impressive, all around character that MacDonald is.

Flashy offense doesn't alway yield great leadership. John saw Mike's xo potential when we played them. Everytimh after that was being impressed by the leader he is.

Johnson doesn't seem the part.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I just hope MacDonald or the new OC don't get run out of town before getting at least 3 years to implement their scheme and personnel.

I can see the NET pundits now....

The OC's plays are predictable.
He doesn't know how to use Geno.
Too many running plays.
He should have kept Geno.
The OL is terrible.
Defense sucks.
Fire Macdonald...I give it 6 games before we see this somewhere.

BASF

Reaction score
I'm glad that it's been now confirmed in plain view that everyone read way, way, way too much into Schneiders comments about offensive vs. defensive head coaches.
Sleight of hand and misdirection. Love the hire. My favorite part is that Macdonald knows who it was that was tipping plays on the offense. It will finally get resolved.

chris98251

Reaction score
Happy with this hire yes, I think the Geno threads are absorbing the hate posts at the moment, this years whipping boy now that Pete's gone. Where is Ifedi when you need him.

keasley45

Reaction score
I just watched the Commanders presser I producing Dan Quinn... So thankful for the leadership we have in Seattle.