Seahawks Hiring Ravens DC Mike Macdonald As New HC

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It was him. The curmudgeons and neck beards have escaped their basement dungeons. Likely in search of more hot pockets. I just put them on ignore
I dunno. Knownone was really balanced in that post, I think. I liked it.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Most do I think. But some don't. And I just think it's funny, that's all. That comes with a new HC. Not everyone is going to dig the choice.

Yeah I spoke too soon, the haters came out of the woodwork lol

thegameq

Reaction score
Just curious- who would you have been ecstatic about?
Ben Johnson. I wanted an offensive genius (Xs,Os) so we can finally go head to head with the Rams and Niners. I get the attraction of having a dominant defense again, but those types of defenses don't come along often and take time to build. When they do, they don't last long due to free agency and the cap. Also, a defensive coach usually means a so-so offense that will hide behind the defense. Yes, I know we won that way before--but I'm tired of watching a stuttering and sputtering style offense. I want to see an offense I have complete confidence in rather than an offense I have to cross my fingers and hope they can complete a drive in a touchdown. Also, a defensive coach usually means the offense is going to take a back seat to the defense. Again, the offense will be hiding behind the defense.

If we get a genius Xs and Os OC out the deal then I will really be ecstatic. We'll have the best of both worlds. But I doubt it will happen. Not trying to be a downer--just tired of our offensive struggles and the Rams and Niners offenses making the defense's head spin.

Ozzy

Reaction score
If they nail the OC it’s perfect. I think there are a couple guys out there and we have enough talent on offense to be a top 10 offense. There is hope!

bileever

Reaction score
Definitely my first choice. Johnson was a close second, Raheem Morris a distant third and Mike Vrabel if we didn't get the top 3.

I suspect that the Commanders wanted to offer MacDonald the job. We'll probably get the details later on how we prevailed over Washington. I was worried that if it came down to the Commanders and us, that Washington had the one advantage of being closer to Baltimore.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Ben Johnson. I wanted an offensive genius (Xs,Os) so we can finally go head to head with the Rams and Niners. I get the attraction of having a dominant defense again, but those types of defenses don't come along often and take time to build. When they do, they don't last long due to free agency and the cap. Also, a defensive coach usually means a so-so offense that will hide behind the defense. Yes, I know we won that way before--but I'm tired of watching a stuttering and sputtering style offense. I want to see an offense I have complete confidence in rather than an offense I have to cross my fingers and hope they can complete a drive in a touchdown. Also, a defensive coach usually means the offense is going to take a back seat to the defense. Again, the offense will be hiding behind the defense.

If we get a genius Xs and Os OC out the deal then I will really be ecstatic. We'll have the best of both worlds. But I doubt it will happen. Not trying to be a downer--just tired of our offensive struggles and the Rams and Niners offenses making the defense's head spin.
Again, he didn't want to be here. Next
Or, how about we give this guy a chance before assuming the worst? There's always that.

JGreen79

Reaction score
A couple of thoughts,

He was well liked enough by John Harbaugh as a position coach in Baltimore, that Jim hired him as a DC for Michigan. And liked enough by Jim as a DC in Michigan to get hired back as a DC in Baltimore.

I'll admit I did want an offensive minded HC, but with the current state of the division a young fresh minded Defensive guy might be better to battle against the minds in the division.

I believe if we were to go with a defense HC Mike was the only choice.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Seems like way too much is going in to the Offensive vs. Defensive coach thing. That's what OC and DC is for. I suspect he will be VERY much in charge of that defense. Defense and tackling was a pathetic joke last year. This offense has a ton of weapons. The Defense needs a LOT of help.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Seems like way too much is going in to the Offensive vs. Defensive coach thing. That's what OC and DC is for. I suspect he will be VERY much in charge of that defense. Defense and tackling was a pathetic joke last year. This offense has a ton of weapons. The Defense needs a LOT of help.
Yeah this offense vs defensive coach thing is blown out of proportion.

HawkFreak

Reaction score
Yeah this offense vs defensive coach thing is blown out of proportion.
Agreed. This narrative is ALL the media is talking about right now and essentially are downplaying the Macdonald hire and most of the HC hires of D leaning coordinators.

I think It's becoming the old and lazy take.

It's interesting to me that all of the experts seem to be saying lately that Defensive leaning HCs are a thing of the past...and everyone needs to be hiring Offensive gurus for HC and that Offense now winds championships.

But what are people talking about in the KC win over the Ravens? KC's Defense. People are talking about the SB could potentially be a Defensive game. 9er fans are saying their team needs to step up its D. Just found it interesting with all of the focus and talk on the importance and focus of Offense - that Defense is rearing its head as the important thing.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Macdonald. Now that he's our HC, maybe we can at least spell his name correctly?

Pete Carol (sic), Pete Carrol (sic), Jake Curran (sic), Dissley (sic), Shaqueem (sic) Griffen (sic), Shaquille (sic) Griffen (sic), Clint Hurrt (sic), Tyler Lockette (sic), Metcalfe (sic), Procise (sic), Waldren (sic), and Woollen (sic) are betting on "no."

renofox

Reaction score
Agreed. This narrative is ALL the media is talking about right now and essentially are downplaying the Macdonald hire and most of the HC hires of D leaning coordinators.

I think It's becoming the old and lazy take.

It's interesting to me that all of the experts seem to be saying lately that Defensive leaning HCs are a thing of the past...and everyone needs to be hiring Offensive gurus for HC and that Offense now winds championships.

But what are people talking about in the KC win over the Ravens? KC's Defense. People are talking about the SB could potentially be a Defensive game. 9er fans are saying their team needs to step up its D. Just found it interesting with all of the focus and talk on the importance and focus of Offense - that Defense is rearing its head as the important thing.
JS is in front of the curve. NFL will be trending towards defense again soon, if it hasn't started already.

With that said, the advantage of an offensive HC in improving the odds of successfully grooming a young QB is still undeniable.

It's a pro/con argument. But the biggest pro is getting a coach who is uber competent and is the best fit for your organization.

I think JS did that. I wanted Johnson, but that turned sour when he obviously wasn't a fit. I am happy that JS found the best option, and excited for the first time in years about the direction of the Seahawks. Hope has returned!

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
It was him. The curmudgeons and neck beards have escaped their basement dungeons. Likely in search of more hot pockets. I just put them on ignore
They were in the basement but now they are in the level lower. The dungeon. LOL

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
He has a Master's in Sports Management from Georgia to go with his actual coaching experience. But the nay Sayers likely don't know that either.
Does that mean he knows about ballboys and waterboys and other tools of the trade?😁

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
One more thing, Offenses win FANS, defense wins championships.

Dabhawk

Reaction score
One more thing, Offenses win FANS, defense wins championships.
There’s only one reason why the duck slinging version of neck brace Manning gave the Donkeys another Lombardi….

Build a suffocating defense and find a young QB that’s hungry. Solidify the LOS on both sides and continue to be run first. There is no QB outside of Mahomes who can win consistently without run support. Hopefully we find a super innovative OC to really utilize our playmakers and scheme deceivingly… no more predictapete ball…. We need to keep the other team guessing on both sides of the ball. Seems to be how McVay/Shanny are being so dominant.

I will be ecstatic if we get 2 championship appearances and one Lombardi out of this JS+MM combo and I think it’s relatively realistic…

Very very curious what they do with Geno, will be a big clue as to the direction they’re gonna go in QB-wise