Seahawks Hiring Ravens DC Mike Macdonald As New HC

Ozzy

Reaction score
No, that's the point. They can't complain about Macdonald. I guarantee they would've been all over here if it was Quinn. They don't contribute anything but negativity.

What’s wrong with someone liking or not liking a hire or having a favorite candidate? Not trying to be rude but who cares? I would’ve been a little bummed out if they went Quinn and I think that’s perfectly fine. Maybe I’m missing something but why does someone have to agree with everything the Seahawks do or solely be positive? Again maybe I’m reading way too much into this.

Maulbert

Reaction score
What’s wrong with someone liking or not liking a hire or having a favorite candidate? Not trying to be rude but who cares? I would’ve been a little bummed out if they went Quinn and I think that’s perfectly fine. Maybe I’m missing something but why does someone have to agree with everything the Seahawks do or solely be positive? Again maybe I’m reading way too much into this.
It doesn't matter, that's not my point. My point is that they have nothing to complain about so they haven't shown up to comment, one way or the other. All they do is spew negativity, so when they can't complain, they don't show up.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
It doesn't matter, that's not my point. My point is that they have nothing to complain about so they haven't shown up to comment, one way or the other. All they do is spew negativity.
Yeah, there's definitely some folks around here that only participate to crap on the team, players, coaches, etc. We could have hired a Voltron of the greatest coaches in the game and they would still find something to complain about and be negative about.

Rat

Reaction score
Excellent hire. The way things were shaping up, I really felt DC had the inside track, between MacDonald being an east coast guy who has lived within like 30 minutes of DC for nine of the past ten years, his wife being from Baltimore, and DC being able to offer more flexibility in roster construction (better draft picks and more cap space). Schneider must have done a tremendous sales job. We're fortunate to have him.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
This is a good hire regardless of what our opinions are. I think we all get to caught up with stats in this era. At the end of the day if the guy can coach that's all that matters. Mike earned his shot to be a head coach so we should be happy that we landed one of the hottest upcoming coaches this off-season. For us fans all we can do is hope he is who everyone thinks he is and win a whole bunch of games. I for one, am happy with this hire.

Rat

Reaction score
Pretty crazy, but this was the first time in three decades Seahawks fans have had to endure a real coaching search. We got Carroll when Mora was still employed: one day there were just reports that Allen was on the way to LA to bring Carroll aboard. Mora was named the "head coach in waiting" while Holmgren was still here (not surprising that teams don't do that anymore). Holmgren was basically poached from Green Bay, with no other real candidates in the process (IIRC). Erickson was hired 29 years ago; I have absolutely no recollection of what went into that search. All I can see about it is that Erickson also drew interest from the Eagles and Broncos.

I'm glad this isn't one of those franchises that has to go through this every couple of years.

NJlargent

Reaction score
The last time I was this stoked about a signing was when we took Jones and springs (erased curry). Feels like the start of something special.

chris98251

Reaction score
Pretty crazy, but this was the first time in three decades Seahawks fans have had to endure a real coaching search. We got Carroll when Mora was still employed: one day there were just reports that Allen was on the way to LA to bring Carroll aboard. Mora was named the "head coach in waiting" while Holmgren was still here (not surprising that teams don't do that anymore). Holmgren was basically poached from Green Bay, with no other real candidates in the process (IIRC). Erickson was hired 29 years ago; I have absolutely no recollection of what went into that search. All I can see about it is that Erickson also drew interest from the Eagles and Broncos.

I'm glad this isn't one of those franchises that has to go through this every couple of years.
Erickson was at Miami winning, but was getting some heat for shenanigans in recruiting, won National Championship if I remember correctly, his teams were undisciplined and many players had problems but they won. Dennis was a Waashington Native so pulling him here was a win for the Seahawks with name recognition at a time everything was about to go to hell with Behring buying us. Dennis's Dad Coached Cascade High School and won a State Championship or were very good due to him. I got a lot of stories from him, he was my Math Teacher in High School and Drivers Ed instructor also.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Erickson was at Miami winning, but was getting some heat for shenanigans in recruiting, won National Championship if I remember correctly, his teams were undisciplined and many players had problems but they won. Dennis was a Waashington Native so pulling him here was a win for the Seahawks with name recognition at a time everything was about to go to hell with Behring buying us. Dennis's Dad Coached Cascade High School and won a State Championship or were very good due to him. I got a lot of stories from him, he was my Math Teacher in High School and Drivers Ed instructor also.
Behring bought the Hawks in 1988, while Chuck Knox was still the coach. He fired Mike McCormack as GM and installed Tom Flores. Flores then fired Knox and made himself the coach, which was when Behring made his push to drive away fans so he could move them to California. Hiring Erickson was never about trying to please fans.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Mike Macdonald wasn't my first choice. In fact, he was 2A/B next to Ben Johnson, with Slowik as #1. But, seeing as how Slowik and Johnson decided to stick it out with their teams, I am relieved the Hawks didn't go in the direction of a retread and continue the long-standing tradition of reclamation projects with other team's castoffs. I've grown more and more fond of Mike from what I've seen and read, and in one sentence:

I feel really optimistic about this, and I feel like it's a great day to be a Seahawks fan.

knownone

Reaction score
I don't know if Macdonald was the best coach available, considering some of the big names out there this offseason. But he is, in my opinion, the best fit for this franchise among the up-and-coming candidates.

Seattle is the ideal landing spot for a young, innovative defensive coach. We play in bad weather. We travel more than anyone. We're tailor-made to be a dominant defensive outpost. And we'll probably never be the number one destination for a young hotshot OC. We don't play in a dome, in good weather, etc. So it's savvy of JS to lean into that market inefficiency and grab a guy who could be a one-of-one in this league—someone who forces the rest of the league to ask, "Who is the next Macdonald?"

We'll see if it works out. But it's a solid plan given the situation Seattle finds themselves in with two of the five best offensive coaches in the league in the division.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I don't know if Macdonald was the best coach available, considering some of the big names out there this offseason. But he is, in my opinion, the best fit for this franchise among the up-and-coming candidates.

Seattle is the ideal landing spot for a young, innovative defensive coach. We play in bad weather. We travel more than anyone. We're tailor-made to be a dominant defensive outpost. And we'll probably never be the number one destination for a young hotshot OC. We don't play in a dome, in good weather, etc. So it's savvy of JS to lean into that market inefficiency and grab a guy who could be a one-of-one in this league—someone who forces the rest of the league to ask, "Who is the next Macdonald?"

We'll see if it works out. But it's a solid plan given the situation Seattle finds themselves in with two of the five best offensive coaches in the league in the division.

Who was the best candidate out there then?