Non X's and O's Casual First Preseason Game Observations

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
If Ryan gets beat in this competition, it won't be a diss of him so much as a compliment of Dickson. Ryan will find work elsewhere in the NFL without much trouble, but Dickson could be a generational talent.

mrt144

Reaction score
Wartooth":ts1zgl6w said:
Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part...
But, didn't it seem like Russ was pulling the trigger quicker on his passes?
He also seemed to be throwing into tighter coverage than usual.
That TD pass to Vannett when he was draped seemed completely out of his norm!

It'd be interesting to see route depth as well.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Even John Ryan knows his days as a Seahawk are coming to an end. Dickson can really hoof it and is a solid situational kicker as well. He only needs to improve his holding for the PKs.

I'm wondering if it is legal to drop kick an onside kick?

edogg23

Reaction score
I don't think I can even remember the last time we scored on an opening drive.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
edogg23":3lwhkjvz said:

It's been over a year that's for sure lol! Good point

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Delano Hill needs to learn to wrap up the ball carrier when he tackles.
That 3rd and 1 play with 3 minutes left where he had the RB stopped if he hadn’t gone with the Ken Hamlin style tackle.

Could have really helped his cause if he makes that play. Good thing is, it’s very fixable. Hopefully he does fix it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
edogg23":3ebxvzf9 said:
Yes that was great to see. Plays were also faster coming in from the new OC.
Mixed it up well and they were not predictable. It’s only preseason and a small sample size but so far I like what I saw from the offensive coaching staff and how smooth the first team offense ran. The tempo was great to see.

First team defense looked rusty IMHO, KJ and Wags had a couple of bad plays but I’m writing that off to rust.
The defense also needs to cover the running backs out of the backfield better.

I hope ET is back but shockingly I found it refreshing not to have to hear about or from “the personalities” that are no longer here. I’m grateful that they were essential in our past championship run, but I’m ready for the new chapter of A Seattle championship run.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2rvmn5fb said:
I hope ET is back but shockingly I found it refreshing not to have to hear about or from “the personalities” that are no longer here. I’m grateful that they were essential in our past championship run, but I’m ready for the new chapter of A Seattle championship run.

Yes, I agree. The primary focus was on football!!!! How refreshing!

Seafan

Reaction score
I expect Penney to play better and the jury is still out on McGough but the rest of the rookie draft class really represented well. I can't remember another draft for the Hawks where that has happened the first time out.

toffee

Reaction score
Seafan":3auk3vrq said:
I expect Penney to play better and the jury is still out on McGough but the rest of the rookie draft class really represented well. I can't remember another draft for the Hawks where that has happened the first time out.
McGough didn’t do much but he did play with backup OL,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Ultimately I am very pleased with the whole draft class. To me Sm Griffin is a quality addition and Green is going to be a monster.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Aros":gh917hw4 said:
Russell looked sharp in that first series. Very efficient...Carson and Penny showed flashes of how good they can be. Don't forget Davis. The first string OL gave Russell a nice clean pocket...A very small sample size of course but all-in-all they look improved. I think Solari's scheme is going to play to our strength.

Vannett caught a nice fastball in the endzone to cap a nice 75-yard drive out of our starting offense. I hope in year 3 he has finally figured it out. I think Dissly is going to be the biggest surprise out of our TE group. Killer blocking and soft hands...Zack Miller 2.0 anyone?

Rasheem Green had to be my favorite defensive player of the game. Just looks like a force in the making. T2, Flowers and Shaquem Griffin will be just fine, although none of them stood out other than they all appeared very fast and outside of Flowers' DPI (which was killer coverage but he draped the receiver physically before the ball got there, a total learning experience), I thought they all looked good. It's more opportunity and first game stuff than any indictment on their future productivity.

The 3 injuries SUCK but I hope none of them are serious. Hard to tell yet. In the NFL, the most innocuous-looking injury turns out to be devastating and visa versa.

All-in-all, a typical first preseason game. Some great, some good and some bad. Overall my impression is that we have a very young team with a lot of WANT TO, which is HUGE in this league. These young players are buying in and it's a matter of reps and game experience more than a question of talent.

This game did nothing to dissuade my opinion that we are going to surprise a lot of people this year. I can feel it.

JUST KEEP THE INJURY BUG AWAY PLEASE!

According to Pete, Vannett had been dealing with a significant back injury for the past two seasons. So, was it that he hadn't figured it out yet, or that he was limited in what he could do? Pete says he is 100 percent healthy now, so we shall see.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Personally I am still skeptical about Vannett. He doesn't strike me as someone who will suddenly be dominant. I hope I am wrong. Time will tell.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
One thing that struck me about the first drive with the first string O vs the rest of the game was that the first drive WR routes all seemed to be 'run out to an open spot in the zone coverage, turn around, and wait for the ball' where most of the rest of our passes seemed to be the more normal (to me) 'hit 'em on the run' type routes. Was that real, or did it seem like that because the camera wasn't following the (covered) WRs on go routes and RW was finding the open guys in the zone, or what? Maybe it was just a mistaken impression on my part? Maybe all our pass plays have both and the backup QBs weren't finding open people sitting in the zones? I didn't record the game so I can't go back and look at this for myself. (Besides, if I did record it I'd probably just fast-forward to Dickson's punts... :mrgreen: )

hawkfan68

Reaction score
toffee":2t5981m6 said:
Seafan":2t5981m6 said:
McGough didn’t do much but he did play with backup OL,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not much of an excuse for him. He was also playing against the Colts' backups. It was his first NFL game and it showed. Hopefully he does better next Saturday.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Aros":3gcwsnwr said:
Personally I am still skeptical about Vannett. He doesn't strike me as someone who will suddenly be dominant. I hope I am wrong. Time will tell.
In the early part of the game, on an occasion where Penny was stopped behind the LOS, Vannett used ole blocking on a an eventual tackler.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
TreeRon":hs0x3pwp said:
Aros":hs0x3pwp said:
In the early part of the game, on an occasion where Penny was stopped behind the LOS, Vannett used ole blocking on a an eventual tackler.

Fluker was horrible on that play too. He also whiffed on the 2nd Penny attempt.

mrt144

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":8b73ndjk said:
Aros":8b73ndjk said:
Russell looked sharp in that first series. Very efficient...Carson and Penny showed flashes of how good they can be. Don't forget Davis. The first string OL gave Russell a nice clean pocket...A very small sample size of course but all-in-all they look improved. I think Solari's scheme is going to play to our strength.

Vannett caught a nice fastball in the endzone to cap a nice 75-yard drive out of our starting offense. I hope in year 3 he has finally figured it out. I think Dissly is going to be the biggest surprise out of our TE group. Killer blocking and soft hands...Zack Miller 2.0 anyone?

Rasheem Green had to be my favorite defensive player of the game. Just looks like a force in the making. T2, Flowers and Shaquem Griffin will be just fine, although none of them stood out other than they all appeared very fast and outside of Flowers' DPI (which was killer coverage but he draped the receiver physically before the ball got there, a total learning experience), I thought they all looked good. It's more opportunity and first game stuff than any indictment on their future productivity.

The 3 injuries SUCK but I hope none of them are serious. Hard to tell yet. In the NFL, the most innocuous-looking injury turns out to be devastating and visa versa.

All-in-all, a typical first preseason game. Some great, some good and some bad. Overall my impression is that we have a very young team with a lot of WANT TO, which is HUGE in this league. These young players are buying in and it's a matter of reps and game experience more than a question of talent.

This game did nothing to dissuade my opinion that we are going to surprise a lot of people this year. I can feel it.

JUST KEEP THE INJURY BUG AWAY PLEASE!

According to Pete, Vannett had been dealing with a significant back injury for the past two seasons. So, was it that he hadn't figured it out yet, or that he was limited in what he could do? Pete says he is 100 percent healthy now, so we shall see.

I'd also argue that JFG and the Hawks playing favorites with vets like Luke Willson had a hand in it. Being a #3 TE behind what should be a lights out stud and old reliable is a tough place to get out of.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Inb4 another investigation into Pete hiding injuries? Unless Vannett was on the injury report for back problems the past two seasons - I honestly don't remember.

titan3131

Reaction score
Aros":3rzbxkvv said:

Supposedly he has been dealing with a back issue for 2 years and is now finally healthy for the 1st time!

keeping my fingers crossed we can have a dynamite TE group and never remember the JG stint.