No silver lining, no positives to take away

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I was just trying to recall the play. I'm guessing it was called back and so didn't go down as a pressure as I can't find it anywhere. Then again, it might have been another guy that got beat.

And I'm not discrediting your guy, just pointing out what play it wasn't so nobody's getting confused. I saw worse protection and don't think Nowak's the issue, and yes, the snaps were more encouraging yesterday.

sam1313

Reaction score
minormillikin":3uhg6fod said:
There's always a silver lining that people might bail from the bandwagon and secondhand ticket prices drop.

See! I knew someone here could make me smile today!! Thanks Minormillikin!

hawknation2015

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2wkuk7qw said:
I was just trying to recall the play. I'm guessing it was called back and so didn't go down as a pressure as I can't find it anywhere. Then again, it might have been another guy that got beat.

And I'm not discrediting your guy, just pointing out what play it wasn't so nobody's getting confused. I saw worse protection and don't think Nowak's the issue, and yes, the snaps were more encouraging yesterday.

The only player who allowed sacks yesterday was Gary Gilliam.

Basis4day

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2afoy3fg said:
There is a positive.

I am positive that until Bevell leaves here, we are going to lose 3-4 games a year we have no business losing.

If not more.

I am also positive that as good as this defense is in the 1st half, asking them to have that same amount of energy/stamina in the 2nd with very little rest is just a bad idea.

I agree, the Hawks will never win the Super Bowl with Bevell on the team. :sarcasm_on:

byau

Reaction score
Disagree: lots of positives and silver linings

First, both teams are great. Let's put that out there. Bengals are great. Seahawks are great. In fact, prior to watching the game Sunday, I watched condensed games of the last two Bengals games (Ravens and Chiefs) and my first impression was

"Oh man... these guys are FAST. Very tight. Very precision. The Seahawks on a short week and a 10AM PST start time, we are about to have a bad day" and my prediction changed from a close 3pt game going either way to a 28-14 type loss

Bringing it back to the Seahawks, they played a fantastic version of themselves for 3 quarters. This is the potential.

The 4th quarter, the fact that the entire team collapsed I am almost more ready to point it at a team just being tired. Short week. 10am start time. When two great teams play each other, something like this will affect the game and it became a close 3pt game that could have gone either way

There are other things I can point to that are negative, that is being handled well in other threads.

I will say short version: If the Seahawks were an elite team, they would have found a way. This game tells me they are not. Not yet. But have the potential to be. Because coming in to fight a hungry Bengals team, for 3 quarters they dominated. Whereas the Bengals to me are still a great time, not yet elite. And a great team takes advantage of another great team when breaks are to be had, in this case I think a mental/physical fallout in the 4th quarter.

To me this also means: 8 games out of 10 on an even playing field the Seahawks win this one.

That is a far cry from what we've seen the previous four weeks. To me it's progress, the Seahawks are gelling. For 3 quarters they are pretty much the team we've wanted to see.

Right now sitting at 2-3, I continue to see the Seahawks ramping up if they can get past this and making a 11-5 playoff team, possibly 12-4 with a few breaks.

Sorry man, there are a lot of positives in there.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
byau":3u76xr42 said:
I will say short version: If the Seahawks were an elite team, they would have found a way. This game tells me they are not. Not yet. But have the potential to be. Because coming in to fight a hungry Bengals team, for 3 quarters they dominated. Whereas the Bengals to me are still a great time, not yet elite. And a great team takes advantage of another great team when breaks are to be had, in this case I think a mental/physical fallout in the 4th quarter.

Great post!

kobebryant

Reaction score
Rawls, Sweezy, Clark and KJ were my big positives upon 2nd viewing.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
We didn't get crushed, more room on the bandwagon, and I was sooooo pissed after the game I took a weed wacker to my front yard.

byau

Reaction score
hawknation2015":j9w8r4t3 said:
byau":j9w8r4t3 said:

Great post!

Thanks man :)

"Bengals to me are still a great time" lol... typos on the brain

The hard part: when you look at it, the Seahawks are going from elite to great. The Bengals look to be going from good to great. So it's a hard pill to swallow to know which direction each side is going.

Still, good to see the potential is there and hope to the Seahawks re-find their groove.

byau

Reaction score
One more positive: Besides the Packers, who in the NFC do you see is better?

You can make an argument for the Cardinals. For me the jury is out, but I wouldn't call you crazy if you put the Cardinals above the Seahawks

Packers vs Seahawks, you're in it until the end.

Packers vs Cardinals, can't tell right now.

That's only two teams.

In other words, there's a long season left and despite the records I can't see us being worst than the third best time in the NFC. In the grand scheme right now, that makes you good enough for at least one playoff win, maybe even two which means a return trip to the NFC championship game.

There is a LOT of season left.

More positives? Brock and Salk this morning saying the Seahawks on paper should be the BEST 3rd and short team. I agree. If the Seahawks can manifest that to reality, there is a huge upside still for the rest of the season.

marko358

Reaction score
byau":31zumzkm said:

You can make an argument for the Cardinals. For me the jury is out, but I wouldn't call you crazy if you put the Cardinals above the Seahawks

That's only two teams.

While I generally agree with you, as we currently stand and the way we've been playing, I think Atlanta and Carolina could play us tough and beat us even though I think we have more talent. For some strange reason, the Redskins seem to be playing well too.

byau

Reaction score
marko358":3ng4c6xj said:
byau":3ng4c6xj said:

That's only two teams.

While I generally agree with you, as we currently stand and the way we've been playing, I think Atlanta and Carolina could play us tough and beat us even though I think we have more talent. For some strange reason, the Redskins seem to be playing well too.

Agreed. Still think the Seahawks are better, better does not mean you can coast on a team. Also "way we've been playing" agreed there. However, the way we've been progressing each week, there are a lot of positives and I see a much higher ceiling for our team than other teams because we've seen it already

NJlargent

Reaction score
I don't get the love for the opposition all the time. After every loss we compliment the opponent. Screw that. The Bengals are overrated and are a playoff choker. We had them flat out beat at 24-7 in their house. If we had an offense they would have gotten blown out. It wasn't two great teams. It was one overrated team and one team not playing to potential

APB

Reaction score
NJlargent":1sh9oe53 said:
I don't get the love for the opposition all the time. After every loss we compliment the opponent. Screw that. The Bengals are overrated and are a playoff choker. We had them flat out beat at 24-7 in their house. If we had an offense they would have gotten blown out. It wasn't two great teams. It was one overrated team and one team not playing to potential
As a Packer fan, I cannot help but feel your pain. I know the feeling precisely. :lol:

Laloosh

Reaction score
NJlargent":13rm8f3a said:

Yeah, that's it... they suck but were lucky, right? Give me a break. Their quarterback went 30/44 and threw for 300+ on us. Doesn't matter when they did it, just that they did. They made the plays.

I'm supposed to think that they're a bunch of hacks because they beat my favorite team? No thanks.

Good game, Cincinnati.

evergreen

Reaction score
I just hope it's Bevell and not Russ. He's been pretty bad in the 4th quarter for quite a few games. If you disagreee, when was the last time you saw some 4th quarter magic that didn't involve that last drive in the Super Bowl? As they say, be careful how you treat people on the way up you'll meet them on the way down... Last year when we sucked early we had injuries and Percy. What's the difference now? It's either conditioning, or drive, or Bevell. We're not as fit as the other guys. They are working harder, that's all. Or it's Bevell.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
byau":15zkxj59 said:
Disagree: lots of positives and silver linings

First, both teams are great. Let's put that out there. Bengals are great. Seahawks are great. In fact, prior to watching the game Sunday, I watched condensed games of the last two Bengals games (Ravens and Chiefs) and my first impression was

"Oh man... these guys are FAST. Very tight. Very precision. The Seahawks on a short week and a 10AM PST start time, we are about to have a bad day" and my prediction changed from a close 3pt game going either way to a 28-14 type loss

Bringing it back to the Seahawks, they played a fantastic version of themselves for 3 quarters. This is the potential.

The 4th quarter, the fact that the entire team collapsed I am almost more ready to point it at a team just being tired. Short week. 10am start time. When two great teams play each other, something like this will affect the game and it became a close 3pt game that could have gone either way

There are other things I can point to that are negative, that is being handled well in other threads.

To me this also means: 8 games out of 10 on an even playing field the Seahawks win this one.

That is a far cry from what we've seen the previous four weeks. To me it's progress, the Seahawks are gelling. For 3 quarters they are pretty much the team we've wanted to see.

Right now sitting at 2-3, I continue to see the Seahawks ramping up if they can get past this and making a 11-5 playoff team, possibly 12-4 with a few breaks.

Agree 100%
I figured that we'd be running out of gas, because of the short week, and Cable having to get his misfit O-Line to not embarrass themselves, and NO LYNCH.
I thought that they had a pretty damned good showing (well at least for 3 quarters)

byau

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3lseywtg said:
byau":3lseywtg said:
Agree 100%
I figured that we'd be running out of gas, because of the short week, and Cable having to get his misfit O-Line to not embarrass themselves, and NO LYNCH.
I thought that they had a pretty damned good showing (well at least for 3 quarters)

As others have mentioned, getting an undrafted rookie to run a record number of yards since, what, 2007? Against a defense that has allowed only something like 80+ rushing yards per game to that point? That's definitely not an embarrassment (through 3 quarters)

Let's not put this as a huge kumbaya moment though right? A loss is a loss. But the OP is talking about no silver linings. There are tons

Here's another one: Jimmy Graham and Tyler Lockett.

Jimmy First:
Sure, the Jimmy thing is a whole 'nother can of worms. He's not getting targeted nearly as much as all of us would like right?

But, the silver lining: go back and watch his catches. Rewatching the game right now, Jimmy's second catch of the day he just snatched that ball. He (and Tyler) have got to have the BEST hands on this team.

Jermaine, while he makes a lot of big plays, sometimes has some hands of stone there. Luke Willson? Hands of stone. Doug Baldwin? He seems to need to catch the balls in his chest a lot with the occasional high point.

But Graham? Wow... going back and watching his catches, he just snatches that thing with ease and holds on. Maybe it's his basketball experience, whatever it is, it's pretty amazing to watch and I can't wait until they figure out how to work him in more.

Add in Tyler Lockett who already has amazing trust with Wilson, and seems to be open A LOT, and has fantastic hands.

To me, a "pedestrian" receiving corps that took us to two SBs just added Batman and Robin to their team, two guys with a lot more upside than the already good receiving corps AND they are not head-cases. Both Jimmy and Tyler seem to have the right work ethic and right attitude.

Adding in two playmakers like that, it's a work in progress, but the Seahawks have shown they are still learning and adapting. Heck, as proof with Rawls they started experimenting more with some running formations (love seeing the I-formation) - that shows they are working through things. I gotta believe they are doing the same with Jimmy and Tyler.

Gotta have faith Russell will figure out how to throw to Jimmy and use him (GIVE HIM THOSE 50/50 BALLS AND LET HIM MUSCLE FOR IT, he may not have to be way way in the open like how you're using him now)

Gotta have faith Russell will figure out how to throw to Tyler (DUDE JUST LET IT FLY AND LET HIM OUTRUN EVERYONE TO THE BALL, he isn't Doug or Jermaine ... those passes towards the end of the game could have just just let it go and see if Tyler could chase it down).

That's some more silver lining I see

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
marko358":3con4eod said:
Holy crap this is bad...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/653672992610713600[/tweet]
Meanwhile, they convert 62% of their third and 4 or less plays when they run the ball.

So yeah, let's pass all four times.

Fire Bevell.