NFL Cuts Tracker

Lagartixa

Reaction score

The Cowboys have to be kicking themselves for giving up a fourth-round pick for Trey Lance when they could have waited a few days and picked up Zappe free. The two have had fairly similar production in the NFL so far. Both played college football (and not much of it) in relatively weak conferences. Zappe's was at least an FBS conference.

Of course, I think the Cowboys already had three QBs last week that were noticeably better than Lance 🤷‍♂️

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
Cardinals should kick the tires on him. Shown more than Dobbs and Tune.
Cards are tanking. They might not win 5 games. Zero talent on both sides of the ball.

The big question is who will they dump Kyler Murray on?????

Scout

Reaction score
The Cowboys have to be kicking themselves for giving up a fourth-round pick for Trey Lance when they could have waited a few days and picked up Zappe free. The two have had fairly similar production in the NFL so far. Both played college football (and not much of it) in relatively weak conferences. Zappe's was at least an FBS conference.

Of course, I think the Cowboys already had three QBs last week that were noticeably better than Lance 🤷‍♂️
Zappe showed more with a starting unit than Lance so the Patriots lucked out that they were able to add Zappe back to their PS. The pre season showing of Zappe wasn't indicative of his ability to play because that Patriots OL was putrid and rife with injured players. Doesn't help that their WR corps doesn't really scare anyone.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Hmm. Former prospect of interest. I could see him winding up on our PS if the Jags don't keep him.
I never understood why people thought Matt Corral was so great. He just looked so uninspiring, to my eye, in his college play.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Zappe showed more with a starting unit than Lance so the Patriots lucked out that they were able to add Zappe back to their PS. The pre season showing of Zappe wasn't indicative of his ability to play because that Patriots OL was putrid and rife with injured players. Doesn't help that their WR corps doesn't really scare anyone.
Zappe, with the "rocket arm" (sarcasm) of Dave Krieg. He was a serviceable backup for a few games for the Patriots, after they adjusted the offense. Due to his arm strength limitations, not a coveted QB by other teams. Good processing though.

flv2

Reaction score
I never understood why people thought Matt Corral was so great. He just looked so uninspiring, to my eye, in his college play.
His rookie preseason play was brutally bad. The Panthers had 3 better QBs on the roster in 2022. I thought he might get cut as a 3rd round rookie. Obviously i'm not surprised to see him cut 1 year later. I don't think he'll last long with the Patriots.

bileever

Reaction score
This whole Zappe/Corral thing reflects badly on Belichick. Not having a backup QB sorted out by end of training camp, and then picking up Carolina's discard. Looks like amateur hour. Has Belichick lost it?

toffee

Reaction score
This whole Zappe/Corral thing reflects badly on Belichick. Not having a backup QB sorted out by end of training camp, and then picking up Carolina's discard. Looks like amateur hour. Has Belichick lost it?
One could also question if he ever had it? Most competent HC will look like HOF HC with Brady as their QB.

flv2

Reaction score
Young players can look very different from 1 year to the next. The position coach or system can change and so can the player's attitude. In 2018 the Rams used a 4th round pick on John Franklin-Myers. He never started a regular season game but he looked really good in the playoffs. He seemed to coast through the 2019 preseason but it was still a surprise to fans when the Rams cut him. Zappe's situation sounds very similar. Bottom end of the roster guys have to be near their peak all the time.