NFC Final Playoff Picture

JonRud

Reaction score
theseahawkguy":1vxotpg6 said:
Now is this possible as the nfl playoff machine never is too accurate

Hawks beat Arizona. 49ers lose, Packers lose. Number 2 seed clinched no need to play diggs and others next week?

not really. it's only possible for the Seahawks to clinch the NFC West prior to playing the 49ers if the 49ers lose to the Rams, Hawks beat Arizona, and the Hawks clinch the strength of victory tiebreaker prior to the SF vs Sea game (Hawks currently trail by 3 games with 6 games that affect this left to be played).

the only realistic way for this to happen is this.

Week 16
LA beats SF
Sea beats Ari

Week 17 Sea vs. SF is flexed to Sunday night

Seahawks make up 3 game deficit in strength of victory between Week 16 and Week 17 games (possible but not likely). if this all happens, the Seahawks would clinch the NFC West before the SF game kicks off.

if the Seahawks game Week 17 remains at 1:25pm, it's less likely they would clinch before the game because there will probably be other 1:25pm games that affect the final strength of victory. so it's best if the Hawks are flexed to Sunday night, because then there is a small chance the game would not matter to them.

OP
OP
P

Polaris

Reaction score
Well that as they say is that. Update. With the last second win over the Rams by the Niners, SoV is now a moot issue between Seattle and San Fran. Whoever wins the NFC West, it will come down to week 17, and it will depend on who wins the game. That is now locked in concrete. The Rams are now eliminated from the playoffs.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
It's amazing to me how much stuff can still change in the seeding with just 1 week left to play. It's incredible how much of a log jam it is at the top of the NFC especially this year. Usually it's more clear than this after week 16 is done and just week 17 is left to play. It's quite remarkable.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
The news says the Niners game is for the division, but isn't this game actually for the (far more important) 2 seed in the conference?

OP
OP
P

Polaris

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":17sv37as said:
The news says the Niners game is for the division, but isn't this game actually for the (far more important) 2 seed in the conference?

Maybe but that depends on what happens with New Orleans and Green Bay. If both win out, then Seattle can not get a week off even if we win because the best Seattle can now do is 12-4 and they would be 13-3. Also if San Francisco ties then San Francisco could also wind up as low as the third seed of both Green Bay and New Orleans wins out (it's the only way SF can win the division and not get home field).

Here is the straight skinny:

1) If San Francisco wins, they win the division AND get home field advantage. Period.
2) If San Francisco ties, they win the division. If both Green Bay and New Orleans lose or tie at least once, then San Fran gets home field. If one of them win out, then San Fran gets a first week bye and the #2 seed. If both win out, San Fran takes the #3 seed.
3) If Seattle wins, Seattle wins the division and is no worse than the #3 seed. However if both Green Bay and New Orleans win out, they can not get a first week bye.
4) If Seattle wins and Minnesota takes the division OR Green Bay wins the division but loses at least once, then Seattle is assured of at least the #2 seed and a week one bye.
5) If there is a three way tie between Green Bay, New Orleans, and Seattle (or Minnesota, New Orleans, and Seattle), then Seattle gets home field. This is the only way Seattle can get home field now.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Thanks for the breakdown. I guess it was more complicated than it looked, but we could still get a first-round bye, which is MASSIVE. Even more so because our offense suddenly has totally different players and people need to game-plan.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chawker

Reaction score
With Green bay Packers victory night means there is no chance for us to get a first round bye in the play offs.This would also mean that the 49ers have clinched the NFC west title? Right

OP
OP
P

Polaris

Reaction score
Chawker":28097933 said:
With Green bay Packers victory night means there is no chance for us to get a first round bye in the play offs.This would also mean that the 49ers have clinched the NFC west title? Right

Not true, but things have to go right.

1) We have to beat San Francisco. That is the bare minimum, after that we have to hope that Green Bay loses.

If BOTH Green Bay and New Orleans lose, then Seattle can still hypothetically get home field.

So no, we aren't quite eliminated from a first round bye quite yet, but the odds are slender.

Edit: If Seattle beats San Fran, Seattle wins the NFC West no matter what else happens. To get the first week bye, we have to be seeded ahead of either New Orleans or Green Bay. That's not possible with New Orleans on a simple head to head, but is with a three way tie break.

Stuje1

Reaction score
Polaris":1ba78qg2 said:
Chawker":1ba78qg2 said:

1) We have to beat San Francisco. That is the bare minimum, after that we have to hope that Green Bay loses.

If BOTH Green Bay and New Orleans lose, then Seattle can still hypothetically get home field.

So no, we aren't quite eliminated from a first round bye quite yet, but the odds are slender.

Edit: If Seattle beats San Fran, Seattle wins the NFC West no matter what else happens. To get the first week bye, we have to be seeded ahead of either New Orleans or Green Bay. That's not possible with New Orleans on a simple head to head, but is with a three way tie break.

If just GB loses (and not New Orleans), wouldnt the Hawks get the #2 seed with a win over SF (so still get a bye; just not home field advantage throughout)? I believe they have the tiebreaker over the Packers. I doubt the Packers will lose to the Lions, but crazier things have happened.

OP
OP
P

Polaris

Reaction score
Stuje1":3i4f4u62 said:
Polaris":3i4f4u62 said:
Chawker":3i4f4u62 said:

If just GB loses (and not New Orleans), wouldnt the Hawks get the #2 seed with a win over SF (so still get a bye; just not home field advantage throughout)? I believe they have the tiebreaker over the Packers. I doubt the Packers will lose to the Lions, but crazier things have happened.

Yes. If we win and GB loses, then the Hawks can do no worse than the #2 seed and the week off. The only chance for home field is if BOTH GB and NO lose and Seattle wins.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
The owner of a Slidell car dealership and well-known New Orleans Saints fan is doing what he can to help the black and gold earn a top seed in the NFC playoffs.

Matt Bowers took to Twitter on Tuesday morning to reach out to Detroit Lions quarterback David Blough and offer "to hook him up" with a new vehicle if Detroit can beat the Green Bay Packers on Sunday.

Posted in NFL Nation...with link.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
To get a first round buy-
---we have to win, NO and GB BOTH have to lose.

Anything other than that and we are either 3rd or 5th seed. In this instance we play the niners except for one other scenario that isn't that likely (but more likely than us getting 1st seed)

It looks like this game pretty much decides whether we play the niners at our house or theirs in the playoffs.

This according to the espn playoff machine.

OP
OP
P

Polaris

Reaction score
johnnyfever":1yjeejyg said:

Anything other than that and we are either 3rd or 5th seed. In this instance we play the niners except for one other scenario that isn't that likely (but more likely than us getting 1st seed)

It looks like this game pretty much decides whether we play the niners at our house or theirs in the playoffs.

The ESPN Playoff Machine can't be trusted. It has been dodgy all season. If Green Bay loses and Seattle wins, then Seattle wins the tiebreak with Green Bay by common opponents. That gives Seattle a first week bye. If BOTH New Orleans and Green Bay loses and Seattle wins, then all three will be tied at 12-4, and New Orleans will have an inferior conference record to both GB and Seattle in that case and will drop first. Then Green Bay loses out to Seattle by common opponents, and that is the only way Seattle can get home field. If both Green Bay and New Orleans win (or tie), then yes Seattle is the third seed.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
johnnyfever":33ig275s said:

False.. if packers lose and we win we get at minimum the second seed

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I say We because I’m a STH that goes to games and yells every single down the defense is on the field. If you believe the 12’s have had any instrumental value in the teams performance over the last 2 decades then I’m absolutely a part of the team and have a right to use We.

I think if you haven’t committed anything to the teams success ie you’ve never purchased merchandise, bought tickets, cheered on the defense. Then probably you are pushing it using We in referencing the team.

That’s my opinion at least. The vocal cord polyps I’ll be living with in my 60’s are my Team ID.

OP
OP
P

Polaris

Reaction score
Update: As of 1:24PST, Green Bay has beaten the Detroit Lions. Along with a New Orleans win, Seattle is now eliminated from any contention for a first week bye. This also clinches a first week bye for Green Bay.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
OK help me understand this if you guys know.

~ Saints won.

~ Packers won.

So you can no longer get a playoff bye or the #1 or #2 seed no matter what. Minnesota is apparently locked into the #6 seed. So you can get what the #3, #4 seed? Can you get the #5 seed? #3, #4, #5?

Anyway you play the wild card weekend no matter what from what it seems at this point. Perhaps we have more to play for. The 49ers have the #1 seed, a playoff bye and homefield advantage with a win. It's not an easy task BTW. We can just as easily lose and get the #5 seed too. I'm just saying that's in play. But it's not guaranteed.

Anyway not having the #1 or #2 seed and a playoff bye is a big deal IMO. It may even make your team somewhat less motivated. As you play the wild card weekend no matter what happens from here on out.

OP
OP
P

Polaris

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":2jcx0kyl said:

~ Saints won.

~ Packers won.

So you can no longer get a playoff bye or the #1 or #2 seed no matter what. Minnesota is apparently locked into the #6 seed. So you can get what the #3, #4 seed? Can you get the #5 seed? #3, #4, #5?

Anyway you play the wild card weekend no matter what from what it seems at this point. Perhaps we have more to play for. The 49ers have the #1 seed, a playoff bye and homefield advantage with a win. It's not an easy task BTW. We can just as easily lose and get the #5 seed too. I'm just saying that's in play. But it's not guaranteed.

Anyway not having the #1 or #2 seed and a playoff bye is a big deal IMO. It may even make your team somewhat less motivated. As you play the wild card weekend no matter what happens from here on out.

Seattle can now get two seeds. If Seattle wins, Seattle will be the #3 seed. If Seattle loses, Seattle will be the #5 seed.

If San Francisco wins, then SF is the #1 seed, GB is the #2 seed and NO is the #3 seed and Seattle is the five seed.
If San Francisco ties, then SF becomes the #3 seed and GB takes the #1 seed.

Basically if Seattle wins, it's GB 1, NO 2, Seattle 3, Phi/Dal 4, SF 5, Min 6
If Seattle loses, then it's SF 1, GB 2, NO 3, Phi/Dal 4, Sea 5, Min 6

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Polaris":2h2fzxwy said:
SanDiego49er":2h2fzxwy said:

~ Saints won.

~ Packers won.

Seattle can now get two seeds. If Seattle wins, Seattle will be the #3 seed. If Seattle loses, Seattle will be the #5 seed.

If San Francisco wins, then SF is the #1 seed, GB is the #2 seed and NO is the #3 seed and Seattle is the five seed.
If San Francisco ties, then SF becomes the #3 seed and GB takes the #1 seed.

Basically if Seattle wins, it's GB 1, NO 2, Seattle 3, Phi/Dal 4, SF 5, Min 6
If Seattle loses, then it's SF 1, GB 2, NO 3, Phi/Dal 4, Sea 5, Min 6

That's interesting. Thanks. So Green Bay is locked into a playoff bye which is a big deal IMO. Perhaps we have the most to play for in this game. We will see what happens.