New Header Idea

BGHawk

Reaction score
Very nice work Aros..I tried the links you provided and it says that the files were corrupted when sent as attachment..so..im not sure. I have never tried this sort of thing, but it looks like it would be fun.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
.Net is going to look fresh.

I vote to keep the 12 crooked. A it has shows character, looks a little chaotic (seems like a good fit for a football forum), and the crooked numbers provide a nice sense of movement (again fitting for a football website) drawing viewers eyes from one side of the Icon to the other.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I have to agree that the roundness of the logo combined with the placement of the 12 made me think baseball rather than football.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Aros":32smd36t said:
I found some time to work on a new header logo idea today...I've passed it on to Management and while I await to hear from them, I thought I would toss this out there to the masses for evaluation. I am not married to it (so no you won't offend me if you don't like it) but I do think it would be awesome to go into Game 1 with an updated header graphic, especially incorporating the ubiquitous feathers that are a large part of our new uniforms.

Whether it's this design or another one, I think it would be great to have a new header graphic in time for opening day.

Thoughts?

newnet.jpg

You misspelled "community."

On a serious note. I like Aros 3rd (I think) update the best. The one with the big 12. Though I think the green and gray stripes are too thick and feel out of place, they just cut through everything. The stripes shouldn't go over the 12 and I don't like the 12 fading. Possibly switch the Seahawk eye and the 12 around. Also I don't like the feathers on the background, it's too much, it would be like the Seahawks feathers all over the jerseys instead of on the stripes and numbers.

I like Anguish's design as well, but it looks to me like it says "102" instead of 12 because of the round logo. Also I'm not a fan of the gradient background or the color of the tabs. I do however really like the schedule and the helmets being included. I also like that the 12 looks like the numbers on the actual jerseys.

A combination of the 2 designs would be great.

chawx

Reaction score
Work has started to slow down a little, so I'll give it a shot and see what I can come up with. (I know you're all anxiously waiting on pins and needles to see what I come up with) ;)

fsmassey

Reaction score
kearly":2wad0j8a said:
It looks VERY cool. I'm straining hard thinking of ways to improve it, the only think I can think of is that the Hawk eye is just a little awkward, it bumps up above it's space and feels crowded behind the "N". Not sure how I'd make it better, it would be a challenge. If it was me, I'd experiment with overlaying the eye over the N, or creating more space for it. It would probably look worse but I would experiment just to see. Right now it kind of looks like it's stashed in a tiny corner behind the N in this version.

Agreed with others that the dot in .net should be a dot instead of a square.

What you're talking about is visual tension, its created when the lines of two different objects are too close to each other, the lack of space is displeasing to the human eye.

My suggestion for a fix would be to add the Hawk head to the right of the logo, where the blue and grey strip run off.
I think the strength of the header is its simplicity and clean look. Well done.

C-Dub

Reaction score
jhawk91":23zn5ptj said:
Anguish":23zn5ptj said:
Warning, monster graphic alert!

If we're going to talk about changing the 'header' of this site, I'd like to see some more ideas from people (anyone) that better utilizes the space available than we are doing now. I threw the following together in a couple of minutes to give an idea of what I mean. Also, being that the Seahawks have taken on a more 'matte' look with their current uniform, the next design iteration of .NET will also follow along with that theme. All of the 'shiny' effects and 'pinstripe' effects currently seen here will be gone.

One other note, the 'tagline' for Seahawks.NET is "The Voice of the 12th Man".

So, to add to the conversation...
dotnet_idea.png

Im diggin this. It's clean, and incorporates a lot without being overly done as well, nice! :th2thumbs:
Love it. Just need to alter the green color of the words on the forum to match the new header.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Anguish":7a5vsl6c said:
To be fair, this logo has been on ice for quite some time. I've been working on a complete overhaul of .NET for quite some time, with all new software, and vector based designs. But, it seems that every season over the past couple of years, we have been met with hardware challenges that take precedence over the software challenges, and there're only so many free hours in a day to devote to this place.
While I typically keep things on the microscopic side - a vector based site layout would be awesome for the old timers! If I understand it correctly - on a vector based site one could zoom in as much as they wanted on everything and not get any of the jaggies.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":1rnhgu4w said:
While I typically keep things on the microscopic side - a vector based site layout would be awesome for the old timers! If I understand it correctly - on a vector based site one could zoom in as much as they wanted on everything and not get any of the jaggies.

He's referring to how the design elements are created, not the entire user interface itself. It's all based on how the graphics are developed. Two primary types are raster and vector. I'm a raster designer. Meaning I use Photoshop for most of my design work...Photoshop is mostly a raster-driven program (think images, graphics that have a finite resolution). Illustrator is a vector-driven program. Designing images in Illustrator are great for limitless resolution. There's a certain "look" to vector artwork. Although photorealism is obtainable with vector, it tends to have a flat, matte look to the design. Once an image is on a web page however, resolution is not the separating issue, it's only when preparing a file where resolution separates itself from raster to vector artwork.

In other words, you create a raster image at a certain size. It cannot be enlarged (only kept the same size or reduced size) without losing quality. With vector, you can create artwork at any size and you can still save it to be as large as you want when opened (an .ai or .eps file is the norm). For instance, I can create a vector logo at 6" x 4" and save it so when the client opens the file, it will be as large as a billboard without any quality loss if that is what they need it for.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
I'm going to have to take a look at illustrator... I've only ever worked with raster based software myself.

The only vector software I work with is Acrobat reader lol

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Here's a good sample of photorealistic vector. Incredible, actually.

1b final

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
That is incredible! I wonder if the same technology carries over to 3d objects (with the Occulus Rift in mind).

chawx

Reaction score
What if you went with a style that looks like our new jerseys? I just threw this together real quick and didn't spend much time or thought on the text... What say you guys?
Newnet chawx zps9041ae4f

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Thats also really cool CHAWX - we have some talented members on dotNet

12HawkFan

Reaction score
Now we are getting somewhere!!!!

I always liked the schedule and current results in the header, made life easy.

This newest one here really breaks some new ground, I hope this one gets it.

GO HAWKS!!!

Anguish":gl52e69p said:
Warning, monster graphic alert!

If we're going to talk about changing the 'header' of this site, I'd like to see some more ideas from people (anyone) that better utilizes the space available than we are doing now. I threw the following together in a couple of minutes to give an idea of what I mean. Also, being that the Seahawks have taken on a more 'matte' look with their current uniform, the next design iteration of .NET will also follow along with that theme. All of the 'shiny' effects and 'pinstripe' effects currently seen here will be gone.

One other note, the 'tagline' for Seahawks.NET is "The Voice of the 12th Man".

So, to add to the conversation...
dotnet_idea.png

12HawkFan

Reaction score
One last thing, please make sure it fits computer screens correctly.

Nothing worse than having to scroll left and right to read posts.

GO HAWKS!!!

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
chawx, that's really really cool! I would love to see some elements in the design like that. Nice work.