Never thought I'd say this, but...

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Thank god we parted ways with Wilson.

Not only has his ego become a problem, his play is declining.

If you'd have tried to convince me last year, that trading Wilson was the right move, I wouldn't have heard it, yet here we are.

His game was never sustainable long term like "pocket passers".

With Geno's level of play, it seems inarguable that we made the right decision at the right time parting ways.

Spohawks

Reaction score
That trade will never get the credit it deserves. The biggest 1 sided trade of all time.

But you also have to hand it to Russ as well...HUGE contract, zero effort.
Everybody screwed Denver on this deal!

Peter knew what he was doing on this one.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Just curious how the team is better since Wilson left? Not in the W/L department.

When Wilson was good, we won lots of games. Went to the playoffs, etc.

Even when the defense was dog awful.

Now the offense is good but this is barely a .500 team. Seems a weird thing to be happy about since the team is (results-based) worse.

Yes, Geno is not as much of a d**che as Wilson. But W/Ls are projected to be worse. Not sure what bullet we dodged here.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Just curious how the team is better since Wilson left? Not in the W/L department.

Now the offense is good but this is barely a .500 team. Seems a weird thing to be happy about since the team is (results-based) worse.

Yes, Geno is not as much of a d**che as Wilson. But W/Ls are projected to be worse. Not sure what bullet we dodged here.
The 250 million dollar one.

OP
OP
SeAhAwKeR4life

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
The 250 million dollar one.
Not just that, but as time goes by, performance declines, sacks add up, and injuries happen. The only "mobile QB" I can think of with a long career was maybe Steve Young. Even he was much better at a simple "drop back passer" role than Wilson ever was.

No, the guys who rely on mobility and elusiveness decline with their age and mobility much faster. I'd bet right now, Wilson never "carries a team" on a deep playoff run again. Not to say he will never make it again , just that I don't see him being the top tier QB of the past without serious injury trouble and spending a bunch to protect him.

I doubt he ever plays at the level he used to again.

As for our record , I'm thinking we'd be in worse shape now under Russ, than Geno.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I'd argue we're a better team due to the trade regardless of current W/L record, due to having only half the haul of new blood we're going to rake in. Of course that takes time to come to it's milk, but it will. My projection is for it to take 2-3 years before we're ready to compete at the top level again.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Cap savings only matters if we get better results with the cap space cleared.

We have been pretty awful at taking advantage of cap space. Look at our past 5-7 years (8?) history with how we use our cap.
Admittedly, it would be tough to squander 250M. (But then again, how much is Geno going to cost?)

250M buys a lot of JAGs.

Ultimately it does not matter how we spend the cap if the results aren't great in W/Ls. I am not buying the youth thing. As Parcells said: You Are What Your Records Says You Are. And we are barely a .500 team.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score

What is this nonsense?

'Just curious how the team is better'? No you're not. You KNOW how the team is better: On the side of the ball that Russ and Geno actually play on, we are in almost every way playing better this year than we were with Russ last year.

'Not in the W/L department'. First of all, W/L doesn't fall exclusively on QB. It never has. Second, this season isn't even over. And third, the last season we had with Russ, guess what? We weren't a .500 team.

'Even when the defense was dog awful'. Oh really? How many times did we go to the playoffs when the defense was 31st in points surrendered and dead last in yards surrendered with Russ at QB? (Hint, the answer is between -1 and 1). Russ NEVER carried a defense as bad as ours is performing right now.

If Geno had the defense that Russ had last year, we'd be 4-1 and everybody would be talking about playoffs.

If we had the defense Russ has right now, the argument would be whether or not the Seahawks or Eagles are the best team in the NFC.

The bullet we dodged is that if we had the Russ of this year or last, we're looking at 0-5 right now, Russ would be going to FA this offseason with nothing for us to show for it, our 'rebuild' would be one further year delayed, and we'd still be arguing about who was holding our offense back and not have the clear answers that we currently have. That's a pretty good bullet dodged.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
It's too early to judge the full effect of the trade. Wilson could come alive in his second year, if Denver brings in another coach, and builds an offense and team around him. The Hawks could waste their cap space and draft capital on more Adams and McDowell caliber players.

For now, Seattle is the clear winner. We've never had the #1 QB and #1 offense (by some metrics) with Russ. We are doing more with less on that side of the ball. That's a win.

The defense is atrocious, and is worse than any defense we fielded when Russ was here. There is no way to know what this year's record would be, under Russ, but judging by his last few years, it would be worse than 2-3

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I get the offense is better. That wasn't the question.
The offense is better. Much better than expected by any measure.

The defense is worse. Much worse than expected by any measure.
So the overall results? the combination of this offense and this defense?

The team is barely .500 and unlikely to be much better than .500 at the end of the year.

Again how is the TEAM better?
Lots of TDs scored. Lots of TDs given up.
Nothing better in terms of end results.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
...Russ would be going to FA this offseason with nothing for us to show for it, our 'rebuild' would be one further year delayed, and we'd still be arguing about who was holding our offense back and not have the clear answers that we currently have. That's a pretty good bullet dodged.

Of all the arguments we could make, this is probably the most underrated. We aren't wasting another year, scratching our heads, with no clear answer about whether it is Russ or Pete holding us back on offense.

We have the answer and the cash and the picks to move forward. Without the trade we have none of the three.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I get the offense is better. That wasn't the question.
It wasn't? Did Russell have some sort of role on the defense that we have heretofore been unaware of?

I already explained how the TEAM is better.

"The bullet we dodged is that if we had the Russ of this year or last, we're looking at 0-5 right now, Russ would be going to FA this offseason with nothing for us to show for it, our 'rebuild' would be one further year delayed, and we'd still be arguing about who was holding our offense back and not have the clear answers that we currently have. That's a pretty good bullet dodged."

cymatica

Reaction score

When Wilson was good, the defense was great or at least average to below average, and when bad at least they could stop the run. Right now it's the worst defense in the league and by far the worst since Pete has been here, yet only 1 game against one of the best defenses did they get blown out. Other 2 losses the offense played more than well enough to win.

I don't know how you can think Wilson would be any better when Geno has been playing far better

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Because the only way for Wilson to have stayed is if Pete didn't. That changes things.

Supposedly a bullet dodged. But the team isn't better though.

In all likelihood, even if the 'terrible' version Russ stayed, the team would likely be better than it is now.

Because That isn't how it would have worked.....

If we kept Wilson, we wouldn't have kept Pete.
But having a top QB, we likely would have been able to lure a top coach.

We wouldn't have the garbage defense. (But then again, wouldn't likely have as effective an offense.)

Still, funny thing, terrible Russ is putting up the exact same record as Pete right now.

So we dodged nothing but the 250M. Does having that 250M make the team better? No.
(How much of that 250M is Geno going to eat BTW)

Do we tend to spend wisely when we have cap space? No.

Should you expect any kind of significant improvement based on our history when we have cap space? No.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Because the only way for Wilson to have stayed is if Pete didn't. That changes things.

Supposedly a bullet dodged. But the team isn't better though.

In all likelihood, even if the 'terrible' version Russ stayed, the team would likely be better than it is now.

Because That isn't how it would have worked.....

If we kept Wilson, we wouldn't have kept Pete.
But having a top QB, we likely would have been able to lure a top coach.

We wouldn't have the garbage defense. (But then again, wouldn't likely have as effective an offense.)

Still, funny thing, terrible Russ is putting up the exact same record as Pete right now.

So we dodged nothing but the 250M. Does having that 250M make the team better? No.
(How much of that 250M is Geno going to eat BTW)

Do we tend to spend wisely when we have cap space? No.

Should you expect any kind of significant improvement based on our history when we have cap space? No.
Wow.

Just wow.

I forgot how we'd also have gotten Saquon Barkley, Nick Bosa, and Jerry Rice from 1984 (using a Delorean, of course) on the team as well.

Now, before I go further, are we limited to just football related people, or can the Seahawks sign fairy tale creatures to their team in this alternate reality as well? I'm just trying to figure out what the rules are for this debate.

Latest posts