NBA returning to Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK84

Reaction score
Blitzer88":1ryj2mt9 said:
Throwdown":1ryj2mt9 said:
I don't know how plugged in Brock Huard is but he's dropped a few tweets here.

Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN 2h
Let me be unequivocally clear with #sonics : Work is going on behind the scenes in NYC as we tweet.

Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN 1h
This is no gut feeling, or speculation. Work is ongoing in NYC. The billion dollar question is what does it mean and what is the remedy? TBD

Whats the work? make an excuse to Seattle so we don't burn the bridge?

Can we please have some actual info and not vague tweets! Come on Brock!

and Blitzer is now slowly crawling away from the cliff's edge :D

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Thank you for your continual injection of completely logic based hope this week Vedthree. I hope that things are as they appear, that Hansen is already two steps ahead of the NBA and Sacramento.

vedthree

Reaction score
Throwdown":12qlyhem said:
I don't know how plugged in Brock Huard is but he's dropped a few tweets here.

Kind of easy for me to dismiss Brock as a talking head, but IIRC he's been heavily involved with a lot of real estate development down in SoDo and probably has some legit connections to the Hansen group through that avenue.

Cautiously Optimistic.

If Vegas had odds, I'd put my money on a guarantee of an expansion team with timeline to start play in 2014 or 2015 (as soon as Arena is complete). That's my sincere hope.

Laloosh

Reaction score
vedthree":14k8gtiq said:
Kind of easy for me to dismiss Brock as a talking head...
I wasn't on the edge of my seat when I read that one either.

In other news, no news here, simply an opinion piece...
Of Chris Hansen’s hurdles, NBA’s rampant hypocrisy is toughest | NBA - The News Tribune http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/05/02/2581182/of-hansens-hurdles-nbas-rampant.html via @thenewstribune

And don't read this one unless you just want to be pissed off... (from 2008)
http://www.nba.com/news/sternsonicsstatement_080702.html

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Don't give up. The last thing the NBA wants to do is enter litigation. Every time it has come up in MLB,NFL or the NBA a compromise is worked out.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":13w774d8 said:
Blitzer88":13w774d8 said:
Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN 2h
Let me be unequivocally clear with #sonics : Work is going on behind the scenes in NYC as we tweet.

Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN 1h
This is no gut feeling, or speculation. Work is ongoing in NYC. The billion dollar question is what does it mean and what is the remedy? TBD

Whats the work? make an excuse to Seattle so we don't burn the bridge?

Can we please have some actual info and not vague tweets! Come on Brock![/quote]

There is no info.[/quote]

I'm right there with you Cali, I don't know what possible options we have, but I don't think Brock would say this without having some knowledge of something.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Someone on a Sacbee article was asking about the status of the escrow money that's due today. Someone responded with:

Vivek put 340 million rupees into escrow, and is hoping that nobody notices that it's about 5.9 million in U.S. Dollars.

:lol:

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":cm4e1rv4 said:

So the city says public money will fund 58% of the arena, critics say public money will fund 75%. So realistically its probably somewhere in the middle. 66.5%

So 2/3 of the arena paid by Sac tax payers. It'll be interesting to see if they can push that through, good luck. Sounds like they have a battle ahead of them.

Seattle arena plan? Already approved.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/201 ... idies.html

Here's Why the NBA Is Forcing the Sacramento Kings' Owners to Accept a Low Bid

At first glance this seems perverse.

it seems to all go back to the arena. You see, in addition to offering $365 million for the team, the Seattle bidders were offering to build a brand new arena for the Kings. By contrast, the Sacramento bidders managed to persuade the city of Sacramento to build a brand new arena for the Kings. The Seattle bid, in other words, would have set a good precedent for the future of American public policy. And the owners didn't want that.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Now I am drunk right now, but.

Couldn't Hansen/Ballmer pay for PUSA, Sirmix Alot, Mackelmore and Kevin Calabro to put on an outdoor show in new york, pay for a ton of sonics fans to go out there and just throw a big "we have more culture, better fans, and more money," middle finger to the league?

Spokane

Reaction score
I like the idea. However I paid 8 bucks to see Sir-mix-alot in downtown Seattle about 7 years ago and I would say he has lost his egde.
He would not play "Big Butts"...I wanted my money back!

Remember its not over till its over. Its just like a NFL free agent signing...out of no where a team pops in and takes the FA. Seattle is still in this!

JOz56

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":2308a2a4 said:
E.C. Laloosh":2308a2a4 said:

So the city says public money will fund 58% of the arena, critics say public money will fund 75%. So realistically its probably somewhere in the middle. 66.5%

So 2/3 of the arena paid by Sac tax payers. It'll be interesting to see if they can push that through, good luck. Sounds like they have a battle ahead of them.

Seattle arena plan? Already approved.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/201 ... idies.html

Here's Why the NBA Is Forcing the Sacramento Kings' Owners to Accept a Low Bid

At first glance this seems perverse.

it seems to all go back to the arena. You see, in addition to offering $365 million for the team, the Seattle bidders were offering to build a brand new arena for the Kings. By contrast, the Sacramento bidders managed to persuade the city of Sacramento to build a brand new arena for the Kings. The Seattle bid, in other words, would have set a good precedent for the future of American public policy. And the owners didn't want that.

Here's the irony, the NBA may be screwing themselves in more ways then one if that is their attitude. Other cities are going to look at the cautionary tale of how the NBA screwed the capital of one of the biggest states in the union with their outlook on things. Other potential owners are going to see the "you can't sell who you want to, you can't take the team where you want to without our position, deal with," and say "screw that." Plus all the forthcoming lawsuits and antitrust cases. Even if we come away with nothing, I am completely fine burning the league at this point.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Spounge84":b2lsyhxo said:
CALIHAWK1":b2lsyhxo said:
The Kings aren't coming. Just stop already. They did what they had to to retain the team. Its over.

Far from over. There's still the matter of the sale, which I can't see going against Hansen. Like many have said before, if the sale to Hansen gets rejected it opens grounds for a lawsuit which could threaten the entire league.

And as far as the team actually moving, I'm not so sure the the League has legal grounds to stop the team from moving even if they voted against it. I know this was brought up before when Bennet was looking to move the Sonics to OKC.
The Sacramento arena deal is also a debacle. There is a local lawsuit against the team. Stern has his head way WAY up his hug, soft, womanly ass. I have no idea why I said that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts