NBA returning to Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Throwdown":28juk8et said:
I don't know if it'll be relocation or expansion, I do believe we will have a team in the next 2 years though.

Milwaukee isn't as easy as people are trying to make it seem, 6 year lease, owner is pretty adamant about not wanting the team to go to an out of towner. Charlotte is about to change their name back to the Hornets, they have a world class arena already, it might just be a case of the Bobcats brand not catching on.

Who else is there? We aren't getting the Pacers, and they aren't going to move a team from Atlanta to Seattle, Memphis just got a new owner who seems committed to to staying there, Minnesota already said no, I'm running out of teams that would be even remotely possible.
Rebranding is a desperation move for a crap franchise. Isn't that Michal's team? Pink is right - they ain't selling to HBN

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
re: the PP debate - even if there's fifty teams in a market, if it's a huge market like LA there's the POTENTIAL revenue stream if the team gets good--not just in ticket sales either. Big markets are just better. The Stern model is asinine and inverse logical - the dude does it for evil power-grasping thrills, not for the good of the NBA--the NBA grew under the dwarf midget's watch, it is true, but it would be much bigger and better with even an adequet, non-evil commissioner.
P.S. Yeah I know I misspelled adequiet. What's yror point?

pehawk

Reaction score
"the PP debate"? Really? That's hurtful.

That's MR PP, to you.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well lets say this, Seattle and Portland were not mega metropolis's when we both originally got our teams, we have since grown, I wanna say that Seattle was like in the 40's back then and Portland farther yet as far as media markets go. That was in the late 60's. So there were many other locations of higher population density at that time. We both still got teams though. Granted the ABA was trying to get a foothold as well so some of the other markets were already competing then.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Love the group, but IMHO they are playing too nice! I think the only language the clowns in the NBA understand would be getting their asses sued off! If the Sonics come back before the MOU runs out then I'm wrong... Just see Seattle being used as a pawn for the next 10 years by the twits in the NBA. Hope I'm dead wrong.......

pinksheets

Reaction score
I think if they thought that was the case they'd be going that route. They probably have a better idea of what's going on than us. I'd have backed going nuclear, but I also just trust that they're moving int he right direction.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
pinksheets":64jws0x8 said:
I think if they thought that was the case they'd be going that route. They probably have a better idea of what's going on than us. I'd have backed going nuclear, but I also just trust that they're moving int he right direction.

I hope you are right, as I'm sure we are not getting the full story.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I don't know why everyone assumes St. Louis, IF this is something to even have a discussion about.

It could be a number of other cities, Louisville, Kansas City, Vancouver, Pittsburgh, Hell maybe New Jersey can get back in the NBA?

The Outfield

Reaction score
Yeah, that list is sorted alphabetically ("TBD" coming after 'S'), so the real "TDB" team names could start with any letter.

That said, does anyone realistically think the NBA would expand twice in the immediate future? I really doubt it. So I think this is just an accident.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Just throwing this out here, so take it for what it's worth. If the NBA does expand, don't they have to do at least two teams keep the conferences even?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
sc85sis":4edt22fu said:
Just throwing this out here, so take it for what it's worth. If the NBA does expand, don't they have to do at least two teams keep the conferences even?

Found this on SBNation.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/1/17/3886324/nba-expansion-team-seattle-supersonics-sacramento-kings
But you'd have to add two teams, meaning more dilution and potentially a weak East Coast market to keep things even.

A. Dilution is not a serious concern. See above.

B. The league absolutely does not have to expand by two teams. The NBA has regularly had spans with an odd number of teams, including from 1970-74 (17 teams) and from 1980 (when expansion to Dallas brought the league to 23 teams) through 2004 (when the Bobcats made it 30). During that span, the league added teams in twos and fours when adding them as single teams or in threes would have given the NBA conference balance. Guess what: the NBA traditionally hasn't cared too deeply about conference balance!

So it's totally reasonable to believe that the NBA could expand only to Seattle, giving the West 16 teams, and likely giving the Northwest Division a sixth team.

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
Actually, I wouldn't mind St Louis. But give me Syracuse over Seattle, without question.

Status
Not open for further replies.