NBA returning to Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McG

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":2icjovre said:

When is this pic from? It looks recent considering he is in Memphis in the pic.

This shit makes me sad, seriously. To think I grew up with 80's and 90's Sonics and to see this guy playing in a city 150 miles away from where I am now. My son asks me if Seattle ever had a team and it makes me bitter we don't have one of the best teams in the NBA like we should, had they stayed. I hope we get our team back, I hope Durant comes back when his OKC contract runs out, I have faith it will happen.

vedthree

Reaction score
JOz56":29z9evfm said:
I wonder what changed between then and now.

http://nba.si.com/2012/10/26/maloofs-sacramento-kings-seattle-david-stern/?xid=si_nba

Between now and his departure, Stern is determined to get a franchise back into Seattle, league sources said, and has become a strong ally of Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer’s group to bring back the NBA there. Ballmer’s group has been trying to get the Maloof family to sell the Sacramento Kings, so that the franchise can eventually play in a new arena in Seattle.

What changed is that Sacramento suddenly spread their legs and started offering up public revenue streams to cover the majority of the arena. IMO, this has never been about "saving Sacramento" - that's just PR to cover up Stern's main goal: protecting the League's ability to have cities pay for their arenas/infrastructure, while leaving the Owners free to share in all the operating revenues from the teams. (When Sacramento was unwilling to pay for an arena, then Seattle was an attractive option, as soon as Sacramento started piecing together an offer, the Seattle immediately went back to being more useful as a threat/leverage)

Easy way to look at it is like this: Hansen's proposal borrows from the City to build the arena (and Hansen is ultimately responsible for overruns and is on the hook for paying it all back) Sacramento's proposal limited what their Owners pay up front and then the City gives them $$$ to cover everything else (and when there are overruns or revenues fall short, the NBA doesn't give a damn, they just tell Sacto to keep forking over the $$$ to cover it)

The way the NBA's revenue sharing is set up, teams have to cover their operating expenses before paying into the pot that the rest of the Owners share. This is what doomed the Sonics to begin with in Key Arena. Making the bond payments to the City took a big chunk out of the bottom line and made the team less valuable to the other owners than it looked on paper.

This is why modern Pro-Sports economics seem so counter-intuitive: From the NBA's perspective, it's more profitable to have a struggling team playing in a building where someone else is paying the majority of operating costs than to have a successful team that pays it's own way.

Hansen's proposal is great for the fans & city of Seattle. He's confident he'll make his money back over the long-term with it. And it does help the NBA by raising overall franchise values. However, when individual Owners look at it, they're going to see 2 main drawbacks:
1. It sets a bad precedent for how much of their own money they'll be expected to chip in for future arena improvements/construction
2. It weakens their leverage to extract public $$$ from their own markets in the future. (because Seattle's removed as a relocation threat, and because Sacramento opened wide with public funds but couldn't guaranteed keeping the team)

That's why Hansen has had to raise his offer to such astronomical proportions and make guarantees about the revenue sharing to make the other Owners think twice. Given the choice between a loan or a gift, the Owners are always going to choose the gift.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
vedthree":3gwuj18p said:
JOz56":3gwuj18p said:
I wonder what changed between then and now.

http://nba.si.com/2012/10/26/maloofs-sacramento-kings-seattle-david-stern/?xid=si_nba

Between now and his departure, Stern is determined to get a franchise back into Seattle, league sources said, and has become a strong ally of Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer’s group to bring back the NBA there. Ballmer’s group has been trying to get the Maloof family to sell the Sacramento Kings, so that the franchise can eventually play in a new arena in Seattle.

What changed is that Sacramento suddenly spread their legs and started offering up public revenue streams to cover the majority of the arena. IMO, this has never been about "saving Sacramento" - that's just PR to cover up Stern's main goal: protecting the League's ability to have cities pay for their arenas/infrastructure, while leaving the Owners free to share in all the operating revenues from the teams. (When Sacramento was unwilling to pay for an arena, then Seattle was an attractive option, as soon as Sacramento started piecing together an offer, the Seattle immediately went back to being more useful as a threat/leverage)

Easy way to look at it is like this: Hansen's proposal borrows from the City to build the arena (and Hansen is ultimately responsible for overruns and is on the hook for paying it all back) Sacramento's proposal limited what their Owners pay up front and then the City gives them $$$ to cover everything else (and when there are overruns or revenues fall short, the NBA doesn't give a damn, they just tell Sacto to keep forking over the $$$ to cover it)

The way the NBA's revenue sharing is set up, teams have to cover their operating expenses before paying into the pot that the rest of the Owners share. This is what doomed the Sonics to begin with in Key Arena. Making the bond payments to the City took a big chunk out of the bottom line and made the team less valuable to the other owners than it looked on paper.

This is why modern Pro-Sports economics seem so counter-intuitive: From the NBA's perspective, it's more profitable to have a struggling team playing in a building where someone else is paying the majority of operating costs than to have a successful team that pays it's own way.

Hansen's proposal is great for the fans & city of Seattle. He's confident he'll make his money back over the long-term with it. And it does help the NBA by raising overall franchise values. However, when individual Owners look at it, they're going to see 2 main drawbacks:
1. It sets a bad precedent for how much of their own money they'll be expected to chip in for future arena improvements/construction
2. It weakens their leverage to extract public $$$ from their own markets in the future. (because Seattle's removed as a relocation threat, and because Sacramento opened wide with public funds but couldn't guaranteed keeping the team)

That's why Hansen has had to raise his offer to such astronomical proportions and make guarantees about the revenue sharing to make the other Owners think twice. Given the choice between a loan or a gift, the Owners are always going to choose the gift.
Great summary, man. The way you broke it down, it makes a lot of sense why Stern is pushing so hard for Sac.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
How has no one brought up Clay Bennett receiving money for Sonics Merchandising? That obviously gives him a Sacramento bias, he shouldn't even have a vote, much less be the chairman.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
This isn't good for us:

Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 51s
Minor note: An NBA spokesperson says there is NO committee meeting or conference call scheduled for tomorrow. #NBAKings

SeaTown81

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":107zcqif said:
How has no one brought up Clay Bennett receiving money for Sonics Merchandising? That obviously gives him a Sacramento bias, he shouldn't even have a vote, much less be the chairman.

Clay Bennett doesn't get the money directly. The money goes to the NBA and the owners split the revenue. So yeah, he's getting money. But no different than the money he gets from merch from any other team.

Clay is most definitely biased, however. He owes David Stern everything for how Stern helped him get his franchise. So him being the head of the relocation committee might as well be considered David Stern's surrogate.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Blitzer88":1xdekz24 said:
This isn't good for us:

Minor note: An NBA spokesperson says there is NO committee meeting or conference call scheduled for tomorrow. #NBAKings

I thought it was the 15th..?

Pstark3

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2iiq9ld0 said:
This isn't good for us:

Not necessarily bad, either

The Outfield

Reaction score
Brian Windhorst ‏@WindhorstESPN 6m
NBA relocation committee met today on future of Kings. Their recommendation to owners for vote next week remains to leave team in Sacramento

Not quite sure if this is news or if he's just stating that no new recommendation was made.

Pstark3

Reaction score
The Outfield":10a00k4o said:
Brian Windhorst ‏@WindhorstESPN 6m
NBA relocation committee met today on future of Kings. Their recommendation to owners for vote next week remains to leave team in Sacramento

Not quite sure if this is news or if he's just stating that no new recommendation was made.
Sounds to me like they met today and agreed that this wasnt enough to change their decision. Which honestly I dont think anything ever will

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Blitzer88":3bt56lnb said:
This isn't good for us:

Tumblr lwvopgFPmE1qii6tmo1 250

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Nobody should be shocked here. This is what happened today. The Clay Bennett led relocation committee got on the phone and confirmed with each other that they aren't changing their decision.

Clay Bennett runs this thing. David Stern tells Clay Bennett what to do. David Stern isn't backing down. This was expected.

Msfann

Reaction score
The official meetings aren't until Wednesday, no reason for them to have meetings every day about it up until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.