NBA returning to Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I can't help but feel that we are missing something with this. The NBA has always excelled at covering their own ass, such a blatant violation of antitrust laws seems to be an astounding act of hubris. Stern was a lawyer before he was the commish, how could he do this without knowing he could exploit some kind of loophole? He's an arrogant, egotistical ass, but he's also, without a doubt, the most sly commissioner in professional sports.

With that said, the spectre of Ballmer eviscerating the NBA is an extremely exciting one and I hope all the rumours of him gathering arms are true.

chris98251

Reaction score
vedthree":2akvnw4j said:
HansGruber":2akvnw4j said:
My buddy also tells me there is word in the legal community that Ballmer is on a warpath and has retained multiple firms who specialize in anti trust. He said an "army" is being put together with the full intention of going nuclear on the NBA. *Edited because my friend asked me not to share some specific data* Apparently, it ain't so hush hush, busy tells me there are multiple firms and attorneys trying to get in on the action as it could be landmark and nobody in the community believes the NBA stand a chance.

All rumor, take out for what it's worth. I found the anti trust stuff interesting.

It may be rumor, but I definitely WANT TO BELIEVE! :twisted:

I simply can't imagine what's going through Stern's head. I haven't dealt with Anti-Trust since a basic class that I barely passed in law school almost 10 years ago ... that's why it simply blows my mind what the NBA is doing. I mean, if it's enough to set off alarm bells in MY head, then WTF is someone like Stern (who's supposedly an expert in the subject) doing playing with fire like this? And the second thought that immediately crossed my mind is why is he doing this to someone like Steve Ballmer, who 1) has a notorious temper, and 2) deals in the world's biggest anti-trust cases on a daily basis?

Very simple Ved, Stern and the NBA beleive they are untouchable, they bully and bait, play people off against each other to simply maximise their profits. Most times the people involved are held hostage with the if you sue us you will never get a team threat. Well most Cities have not dealt with what we have, a freind of the commisioner wanted a team and Seattle was the perfect environment to get him one. When Balmer thru his hat in the ring to buy at the last part of the situation Stern rebuffed him saying to late and used the Slade Gordon emal in court to derail us being able to fight.

This as you stated is the one city that has prviously fought the NBA and won with the Spencer Heywood situation, I still think that it leaves a foul taste in the mouth of the NBA.

Now you have Hansen and Balmer with an obviuos better bid, better arena deal and all the I's dotted and T's crossed being held hostage and being told that it isn't good enough that you pay for everything less the loan your taking for the Arena and will pay back as well as give the Arena to the City in a planned transfer plus renovate the existing Arena.

Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice and mock us in public we will own the NBA also. KJ I hope you have a second job, when those protected emails come out I'm sure your hands are going to be dirty up to your armpits with Stern and some politicains in that Honey Bucket your bobbing for apples in.

Balmer and Hansen have the means and the experience to take on the NBA, Microsoft takles on continents and whole countries in class action and patent infringement cases, Anti Trust against a entity that has shown a track record of skewing things for their own gain and I'm sure there is a laot of case history and settlements that were made of things we are not aware of that legal eagles will be able to get their hands on.

The fact that the competition committee is headed by the guy who took the team out of Seattle to begin with could be questioned in so much that he doesn't have a impartial opinion and is too close to the situation.

HansGruber

Reaction score
seahawk2k":2ze4xaul said:
I can't help but feel that we are missing something with this. The NBA has always excelled at covering their own ass, such a blatant violation of antitrust laws seems to be an astounding act of hubris. Stern was a lawyer before he was the commish, how could he do this without knowing he could exploit some kind of loophole? He's an arrogant, egotistical ass, but he's also, without a doubt, the most sly commissioner in professional sports.

With that said, the spectre of Ballmer eviscerating the NBA is an extremely exciting one and I hope all the rumours of him gathering arms are true.

I think he honestly believe he can placate Hansen and Ballmer with the promise of expansion.

I also think he knows where it gets legally sticky is at the BOG meeting. The NBA hasn't done anything illegal yet. That doesn't happen until they reject the sale. At that point though,I honestly don't know what he's thinking. I'm no attorney but I've read the Sherman Act and rejecting the Hansen bid would be a clear violation and a pretty obvious birdy flip at the feds. That's why i don't think the sale will be rejected. I think the owners realize what they're dealing with and nobody wants to kill the golden goose.

I don't believe anything is close to settled. Things are about to get ugly. It's a bad situation for the NBA. The only real hope for the NBA is that they can somehow make the Maloofs happy while screwing Hansen. But the NBA is acting as if they don't really care. We have to remember though that we only see the public stuff. There is a lot of talk about meetings behind the scenes and that something is going down in New York right now.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Everything I've heard from any and every credible news outlet tells me we have nothing. Stern is a lawyer and an extremelt sluck one at that. I dislike the man with an extreme passion. That said he's not an idiot. His I's are crossed and his T's are dotted.

Laloosh

Reaction score
As has been mentioned, the fact that the finance committee did not vote was very interesting. I'd imagine that the NBA was chewing on the legal implications of even so much as a finance committee vote.

The idea of Ballmer and Hansen retaining top flight anti-trust attorneys / firms makes me happy in the pants.

"I'm sorry Mr. Stern, I cannot advise you as our New York office has been retained by the opposing party. If you like, I can refer you to a more affordable attorney in Sacramento."

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":3pmlnwn6 said:
Everything I've heard from any and every credible news outlet tells me we have nothing. Stern is a lawyer and an extremelt sluck one at that. I dislike the man with an extreme passion. That said he's not an idiot. His I's are crossed and his T's are dotted.
You're giving Stern too much credit! He is a lawyer but not a good one. He lost the Spencer Haywood case! If he was a good lawyer he would know his nuts are in a vice and he would grant Seattle either the Kings or immediate expansion team to make the pain stop! Stern's ego and arrogance are blinding him and will be his and the NBA's downfall! Stern has never faced the economic monster the likes of Hansen/Balmer!

HansGruber

Reaction score
Credible news outlet? When was the last time they called one single thing in this whole process? So far, they've been wrong at literally every step.

chris98251

Reaction score
Stern may have been a lawyer, but as it was shown in the Oklahoma deal they made a bunch of mistakes out of arrogance and self entitlement. The only derailment was the fact that Slade Gordon had a email that showed there were some second set of negotiations outside the loop they had not disclosed. If that had not happened or if it had been less incriminating we would still have the Sonics because everything else showed Bennett was less then truthful about his intentions and Stern was backing him 100 percent and was just as dishonest.

Cuban and Paul Allen I think both would support the Hansen group, NBA has messed with both of them several times. Allen because he is more wealthy then all the other owners combined, Cuban because he isn't status Quo. Both do what they pretty much want.

You don't think that Balmer and Allen have had discussions as "FREINDS"? Pretty sure they the NBA isn't looking forward to the political firepower that this Egyptian group of men along with basically inexhaustable money to put towards anything they want, let alone with any motivation to correct what they think could be a wrong.

I will also add, I think KJ and Stern have been milking this for what they could get as far as consessions, I'll bet the emails they are not disclosing shows some sort of insider information on what they are trying to do.

HansGruber

Reaction score
I've been asked to stop sharing specifics but I just heard some news that should make Sonics fans thrilled.

Just know this:
The Ballmer Hansen team is for real, they have Stern in a corner right now, there is no legal way to deny the Hansen sale, and as we speak, plans are being put into effect.

The irony of all this is that I hate the NBA, have never really cared about the Sonics, yet for the first time in my life, I got to hear some breaking news that few are privy to. Always wished I could get a secret Seahawks scoop but never got one. I'm a nobody. But sitting here right now bouncing in my seat, excited for you Sonics fans, and wish I could share. Keep the faith. Shit is about to get real.

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
HansGruber":s0c7vv1u said:
I've been asked to stop sharing specifics but I just heard some news that should make Sonics fans thrilled.

Just know this:
The Ballmer Hansen team is for real, they have Stern in a corner right now, there is no legal way to deny the Hansen sale, and as we speak, plans are being put into effect.

The irony of all this is that I hate the NBA, have never really cared about the Sonics, yet for the first time in my life, I got to hear some breaking news that few are privy to. Always wished I could get a secret Seahawks scoop but never got one. I'm a nobody. But sitting here right now bouncing in my seat, excited for you Sonics fans, and wish I could share. Keep the faith. Shit is about to get real.
Your holding back. Friends don't do this. Spill your guts. :pukeface:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Mitch from KJR tweeted something that KJR was going to talk about but I had to go watch my nephews baseball game instead of waiting thru their 20 minute gauntlet of commercials. ...And I don't twitter........Anyone hear what it was? He seems to have an "in" with the H/B/N group.

pinksheets

Reaction score
You can just go on SonicsRising. I posted Hans' most recent post that he deemed fit for consumption just as an inspirational rumor about Ballmer's resolve, but those guys dug up everything he posted and plastered it on the thread there.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":21y8767y said:
Mitch from KJR tweeted something that KJR was going to talk about but I had to go watch my nephews baseball game instead of waiting thru their 20 minute gauntlet of commercials. Anyone hear what it was? He seems to have an "in" with the H/B/N group.
Somebody Mitch knows, who he brought to the Sonics ownership group as a potential investor (he was turned down as they were trying to limit the number of investors) was approached by the Sacramento group, who have apparently hired an outside firm to seek out more investors for their bid. The guy, who apparently is friends with Mitch and, as Mitch described him, is someone who is well known to be potentially interested in investing in an NBA team. Apparently they asked him if he'd like to invest X amount, he said no, they came back and asked him if he'd like to invest Y amount instead, he said no, then they asked him 'what about Z?' he said no. Apparently the guy was laughing at the end of the last call over how absurd the whole thing was.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
pinksheets":3n00xpw5 said:
You can just go on SonicsRising. I posted Hans' most recent post that he deemed fit for consumption just as an inspirational rumor about Ballmer's resolve, but those guys dug up everything he posted and plastered it on the thread there.
I do go there, and didn't see anything, I love the info at that place but the format is not my fav!

pehawk

Reaction score
pinksheets":20ckr8z2 said:

I'm not to saavy with that site, but, I couldn't find it? Any guidance?

drdiags

Reaction score
Add me to the list Pinksheets. I went looking at the front page of SonicsRising and the fan posts but saw nothing. Maybe there is a discussion forum I should have gone to.

pinksheets

Reaction score
The thread is "Waiting In The Wings: Adam Silver".

It's 420+ comments deep already, but to find my post which started the whole thread of discussion, do a ctrl+F find and search for "6:22 PM", sans the quotes obviously. That's the time of my post and should help you find it quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.