Mike Vrabel

Ozzy

Reaction score
Arthur Smith was truly bizarre this year with his usage of Bijon, Pitts, London and his explanations were even worse when trying to defend it. He's also had success in the past as an OC. Not a single team seems to want to interview him even as a head coach which is telling but who knows as an OC. I couldn't stand the guy last year as I had Bijon in fantasy lol but he does have a track record and was at one point recently considered one of the best. Maybe he learned a ton this year and wants a fresh start to prove something. I wouldn't be a fan of it but we will see.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Vrabel has picked out some outstanding OCs so if he is hired he has an eye for talent.
Looks like Spanos flew Vrabel out for an in person interview which would seem to suggest they are serious and may have moved on from Harbaugh.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I do think Vrabel's a good coach, and his players play their asses off for him. He always has tough disciplined teams.

But he doesn't move the needle much in the innovation and scheme department. So if I was Schneider I'd want to know who his coordinators are before hiring him.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I have no idea what JS prefers, but I think people hoping we chase the "McVay/Shanahan" trend are being short sighted. If something is seen as clearly a trend by everyone, you're already too late. You need to correctly forecast the next trend or counter move that ends the current trend if you want to win. If you try to be the next McVay, by the time you figure it out, someone else will have solved the McVay riddle
The McVay riddle got solved years ago. There's nothing particularly revolutionary about it. He just runs a Mike Martz offense.

He succeeds anyway because the ability to keep your team disciplined and executing correctly is just as important, if not more important, than scheme.

Scout

Reaction score
The McVay riddle got solved years ago. There's nothing particularly revolutionary about it. He just runs a Mike Martz offense.

He succeeds anyway because the ability to keep your team disciplined and executing correctly is just as important, if not more important, than scheme.
Well a Mike Martz offense that actually protects the QB.

knownone

Reaction score
What's the similarity between McVay and Martz's offense? They don't look at all similar to me.

Scout

Reaction score
If Vrabel can transform the defense into a feared unit while the offense becomes more fined tuned in the trenches (eg interior OL) that is one step closer for the Hawks to compete with the rest of the NFC which focus heavily on trench play.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score

I'm going to have to disagree with everything you said in the first part of your statement.

First off, McVay and Mike Martz don't even run the same offense. Martz ran an Air Coryell offense, McVay is from the Shanahan school of WCO. The playbooks are very different. Martz would run a ton of 7 step drops and drive the ball downfield. This isn't how McVay does things.

Yes, McVay isn't afraid to push the ball down the field, but that isn't the bulk of what he does. He's huge on the short, YAC routes. In fact, his teams have regularly lead the league in YAC, a lot of that is the design of McVay's offense.

The offense hasn't been completely figured out lately either. The McVay/Shanahan offense is still having huge successes right now. If you haven't noticed a good deal of the playoff teams are running that offense right now. The Packers, 49ers, Rams, Texans, Dolphins and Lions are running a similar system. Four of those guys are still in the running for the Super Bowl.

If the system has been figured out, why are 5 of the top 10 offenses in the NFL from that same coaching tree? Right under the top 10 spot you have the Texans and the Packers who are also from that coaching tree.

Honestly, this could've easily been 7 out of the top 10 offenses being from this coaching tree if the Packers and Texans weren't fielding first year starters at Quarterback and Kirk Cousins was able to stay healthy for the Vikings.

I don't know where you're getting that this offense has been "solved" It is still the dominant meta in the NFL.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
If Vrabel can transform the defense into a feared unit while the offense becomes more fined tuned in the trenches (eg interior OL) that is one step closer for the Hawks to compete with the rest of the NFC which focus heavily on trench play.
The more I've been researching Vrabel and hanging around the Titans forms to see what they had to say, the more I dislike the guy. I think he knows how to set up a good culture, but he seems to have many of the same problems that we all had with Pete. His choices for coordinators were suspect and he never fired under performing coordinators.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I'm going to have to disagree with everything you said in the first part of your statement.

First off, McVay and Mike Martz don't even run the same offense. Martz ran an Air Coryell offense, McVay is from the Shanahan school of WCO. The playbooks are very different. Martz would run a ton of 7 step drops and drive the ball downfield. This isn't how McVay does things.

Yes, McVay isn't afraid to push the ball down the field, but that isn't the bulk of what he does. He's huge on the short, YAC routes. In fact, his teams have regularly lead the league in YAC, a lot of that is the design of McVay's offense.

The offense hasn't been completely figured out lately either. The McVay/Shanahan offense is still having huge successes right now. If you haven't noticed a good deal of the playoff teams are running that offense right now. The Packers, 49ers, Rams, Texans, Dolphins and Lions are running a similar system. Four of those guys are still in the running for the Super Bowl.

If the system has been figured out, why are 5 of the top 10 offenses in the NFL from that same coaching tree? Right under the top 10 spot you have the Texans and the Packers who are also from that coaching tree.

Honestly, this could've easily been 7 out of the top 10 offenses being from this coaching tree if the Packers and Texans weren't fielding first year starters at Quarterback and Kirk Cousins was able to stay healthy for the Vikings.

I don't know where you're getting that this offense has been "solved" It is still the dominant meta in the NFL.
I'm sorry but I don't remember Warner doing 7 step drops..Maybe 4-5 at the most. The guy had a
super quick release and those WR's got open quick. 7 steps is holding the ball too long.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I don't remember Warner doing 7 step drops..Maybe 4-5 at the most. The guy had a
super quick release and those WR's got open quick. 7 steps is holding the ball too long.
5-7 step drops were pretty common. Mike Martz was known for long developing plays that attacked downfield. Another thing he liked to do is run the same exact same play from different formations. It caused a lot of confusion back in his hey day.

Kurt Warner also was a savvy QB that had a lightning quick release like you said.

James in PA

Reaction score
Vrabel doesn't feel like a homerun but is a "safe and solid" choice. Plus, I read that he has a great relationship with John Schneider. I'm starting to think he might be the guy.

Latest posts