Mike Pettine: Russell Wilson not quite among top tier of QBs

Smellyman

Reaction score
A smart coach like Pete, "yes he is playing elite right now, better than anybody so we have our hands full.'

Pete still praises Manziel.

Pettine, the opposite.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Awesome! Love when opposing teams make cracks at the Hawks. Poor all the gas you have on the fire!

hawkfannj

Reaction score
kf3339":325jarsw said:
Hasselbeck":325jarsw said:
He said he's not in the Top 4, but is in that next group.. I think that's fair.

Much ado about nothing.

True, but an opposing coach should still be smart enough to not put bulletin board material up for the other team to use against them. Especially when your team isn't worth shit and the other plays in Super Bowls.
True true so does two trues make a right?

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2z64i5x1 said:

Much ado about nothing.
Yup, seems to have plenty of respect for Wilson.

Geologic

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1vnx5i24 said:
Hasselbeck":1vnx5i24 said:

Much ado about nothing.
Yup, seems to have plenty of respect for Wilson.
I have no complaint about this statement. It just seems like the media is trying to stir up some "controversy".

idahohawk

Reaction score
He's not wrong. Sorry.

I'm a big RW fan, and he is an amazing competitor. But he's not elite (yet). Elite means more than a 4 game hot streak.

ludakrishna":1kw7k39k said:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14381646

As if Russell and this offense needed to get a fire lit underneath them....watch us drop 50.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
idahohawk":1vye7c7f said:
He's not wrong. Sorry.

I'm a big RW fan, and he is an amazing competitor. But he's not elite (yet). Elite means more than a 4 game hot streak.

Wilson hasn't just been playing elite as of late, but like literally one of the best QBs ever. I'm not going to sit here and say he is there yet, but if you look at his 4 year career he is elite and it's blatantly obvious. I think Wilson is getting judged like he is an 8 year vet.. I guess when you are mature on the field and successful early that is what happens. Wilson is outplaying Cam who came out a year before him and is likely to win MVP off the back of his team. Yet when Wilson does well, it's because of the team around him and not his own talent. Kid has been elite since his rookie year and the stats and results back it up.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
coming from a guy who will be lookin for a job in a few weeks...if he had a Wilson like qb who wasnt a drug addict then maybe he would still be coaching.

Rob12

Reaction score
So basically Pettine is calling Russ a top five QB. Sounds like a compliment to me.

Bad timing on his part, though. I see Russ and the offense putting up 40+ this Sunday.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
NJSeaHawk":2ngl5y4t said:
Great.

The guy Im playing this weekend has Russ starting.

:34853_doh:

This is the exact reason why I stopped playing fantasy football.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
He's as elite as any QB that has played up through their first four years. That's not even debatable but just like every QB they weren't considered elite by everyone until proving it for longer than that. What he is doing now is unprecedented not catching up or finally performing at an elite level. He is setting NFL records right now.

That being said isn't Petine the guy who is being forced to use Johnny Football? Seems he doesn't believe a mobile QB can be elite and must be at least 6'4" to qualify. We have seen plenty of idiots who have completely convinced themselves what a QB looks like and even with Brees, Tarkington and Young in our history books, they will never believe anything else.

That he would make any statement that could be misconstrued as a slight on his upcoming opponent just speaks to the ignorance of said person. Seems he could have phrased his opinion to say something less misleading even if he didn't believe it. Maybe just acknowledge what he has been doing the last four weeks. Ignoring that gives the impression that maybe he just isn't aware of it and if he is that in the dark, how the hell does he game plan for an opponent?

Pretty obvious this guy won't be coaching much longer so he can sit around with Pete Prisco and pretend they know what in the world football really is. I don't envision him dropping any words of wisdom on us in the near future though.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":26mi7ftv said:

Much ado about nothing.

I agree. In his forth season, who would reasonably expect more? He's already well ahead of a normal -in some cases elite- QB progression curve in many areas.

Mick063

Reaction score
I have been one of the biggest RW critics around.

There is no question that he is elite. If you don't think so, you can quit playing apologist and turn in your fan card now. Russell is playing at a historic level.

And who said that "top 4" is the magic threshold for elite? Who gets to make that call? Pettine?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Mike Pettine has no clue what a top tier QB is. He's the last person I'd consult regarding the QB position. His top QB is Josh McCown. That tells me all I need to know.

Latest posts