Mike Pettine: Russell Wilson not quite among top tier of QBs

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":qls3r19c said:
TorontoHawk":qls3r19c said:
Sgt. Largent":qls3r19c said:
Cartire":qls3r19c said:
Thats all he had to say. By specifically saying the reporter was wrong, and RW is below them, hes getting involved in a fan debate that he doesnt need too. Its called being a smart coach. Pettine seems to not be one (duh). Theres a reason that PFT, ESPN, NFLN have all picked the "non-story" up.

They didn't pick up on it because Pettine's wrong, they picked up on it cause it's awesome click bait........and all you fool's are clicking like crazy running for your someone said something mean about a Seahawk pitchforks like always.

Pettine's not wrong, he's right. Russell's not in that elite category yet.........and that's all he said.

So great next time Pettine will say what you want to hear, Russell's amazing!.........so who really wins here.

Wilson damn well is a top tier QB, wins games takes the team to two SB in two years. That is a top tier QB. I like the end of the NFL network segment "we know Wilson is a top tier QB and we know Pettine is a bottom tier coach".

Where were all you guys in week 5 when this forum was fire with "Russell's distracted, Ciara ruined Russell, Russell got paid now he stinks, Russell needs to step it up."

Cause that was the majority of posts here. Now all of a sudden he's elite and Pettine's a fool?

Gimme a break.

There's nothing wrong with saying Russell hasn't been playing at a high level long enough to be in the same category as guys like Rodgers and Brady.

Was not me bashing Wilson, was never on that train. RW IS ELITE!!!!!!

Polaris

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1ludvo9i said:
I don't think anyone within the Seahawks organization cares at all... It's fun for us and media, but the players can't be distracted or alter their plans simply to prove a point, regardless of the intent/truth/ignorance of the comment.

I am not so sure. It seems to me that many Seahawks thrive on 'disrespect' real or imagined, starting with Baldwin.

Naturally Pete will never say so publically.....

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Polaris":vqam84va said:
Uncle Si":vqam84va said:
I don't think anyone within the Seahawks organization cares at all... It's fun for us and media, but the players can't be distracted or alter their plans simply to prove a point, regardless of the intent/truth/ignorance of the comment.

I am not so sure. It seems to me that many Seahawks thrive on 'disrespect' real or imagined, starting with Baldwin.

There obviously are guys that thrive on the disrespect, like Angry Doug and Sherm...........but I don't think Russell's one of them. At least that's how he talks "shut out the noise" etc.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Polaris":3jj9sez2 said:
Uncle Si":3jj9sez2 said:

That's fair...

I should have said Wilson won't care at all...

ringless

Reaction score
Do you know what I would find pretty hilarious.

Is if Seattle had to travel to Green Bay as the 6 seed. Beat Green Bay. Then Russell said "God Must've been a Seahawks fan when it counted Rodgers.... The Playoffs" Then ended the interview

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
ringless":1vcvbmnn said:

Is if Seattle had to travel to Green Bay as the 6 seed. Beat Green Bay. Then Russell said "God Must've been a Seahawks fan when it counted Rodgers.... The Playoffs" Then ended the interview
Don't forget him saying "Go Hawks! ". I figure beating Philadelphia/New York/Washington, Arizona, and Carolina should due. Unless of course Green Bay beats Carolina which isn't fantasy because that team will lose in the playoffs. They picked the wrong year to go 16-0.

I just wish it were possible to beat Arizona, Carolina, Green Bay and Pittsburgh on our way to our second Superbowl title in three years. I'm thinking Pittsburgh or even Kansas City has a serious chance to be the AFC representative in the Superbowl so maybe my dream can happen. :)

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
"If anyone is interested, I have my updated QB rankings," Pettine told Browns beat writers, according to Tom Withers of the Associated Press. "Every QB that's ever played is tied for No. 1."

He knows he's taken a lot of crap for his comments. I think it's funny. Doesn't really bug me either way but it is funny to see how much crap he's taken for them.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":14yu5gei said:
Sgt. Largent":14yu5gei said:
Cartire":14yu5gei said:
Thats all he had to say. By specifically saying the reporter was wrong, and RW is below them, hes getting involved in a fan debate that he doesnt need too. Its called being a smart coach. Pettine seems to not be one (duh). Theres a reason that PFT, ESPN, NFLN have all picked the "non-story" up.

They didn't pick up on it because Pettine's wrong, they picked up on it cause it's awesome click bait........and all you fool's are clicking like crazy running for your someone said something mean about a Seahawk pitchforks like always.

Pettine's not wrong, he's right. Russell's not in that elite category yet.........and that's all he said.

So great next time Pettine will say what you want to hear, Russell's amazing!.........so who really wins here.

Why are you so hostile about it?

And I do think he's wrong. I think RW is an elite QB in this league, top 3-5 on any given week. you asked why people were making a big deal of it... that's why.. it's the timing of his comments in relation to what RW is doing currently and what he himself is dealing with at his QB position..

if anything it was funny. Foolish would be getting upset about the comment or anyone else's comments about it.
Si you said any given week he's 3-5 and thats fine but 5 is outside the 4 elite status.When I view anyone as elite it is the top 3 and he's getting there.The others are not getting any younger so it will happen soon enough.He is playing the best right now without a doubt.I just want to see him do it for more weeks in a season is all.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Weird unwinnable argument.

Because the word 'elite' is completely subjective.

How can you argue that someone IS or IS NOT elite when so many people have completely different definitions of the word, and often completely different criteria to meet the definition?

Polaris

Reaction score
Aros":1kyfdhw8 said:
"If anyone is interested, I have my updated QB rankings," Pettine told Browns beat writers, according to Tom Withers of the Associated Press. "Every QB that's ever played is tied for No. 1."

He knows he's taken a lot of crap for his comments. I think it's funny. Doesn't really bug me either way but it is funny to see how much crap he's taken for them.

Yeah I hear you. It is kind of funny. IMHO it reflects more on Pettine than Wilson IMHO. I don't even think his original comment was all that out of line, but it was incredibly tone-deaf and frankly well.....stupid given the circumstances when a firm dodge would have served him and his franchise better. I guess that just one (tiny) indicator of just why the Browns are 3-10 and I'll leave it at that.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Aros":2a2so2lv said:

I just saw the clip of him making this comment.
IMHO it was very tongue in cheek and don't think for a minute he was recounting anything he said earlier. At least he's aware of how silly people though he looked when he made the original comment.

retro74

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1r1gmyf3 said:
He's as elite as any QB that has played up through their first four years. That's not even debatable

I think this full post nails it. There is a resistance to admit that a mobile, running QB can be Elite

RW might just change that for all time

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ringless":53vg9ffq said:

Would be like a ProFootballMock level troll. :lol:

Smellyman

Reaction score
pmedic920":3jh4hsho said:
Aros":3jh4hsho said:

I just saw the clip of him making this comment.
IMHO it was very tongue in cheek and don't think for a minute he was recounting anything he said earlier. At least he's aware of how silly people though he looked when he made the original comment.

That's pretty obvious.

Unless you are somehow being tongue in cheek.

Ozzy

Reaction score
First take surprisingly killed pettine and praised Wilson calling him elite. They've been slow to the party but have to give him credit here.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Not defending Pettine per se, but my criteria for elite is pretty simple and straight forward. The player in question is generally accepted as an inevitable inductee into the hall of fame. By these criteria, there are only three currently active, elite QB's in the league, even though they aren't all currently playing at an elite level. Rodgers, Manning, and Brady. These are the QBs that have played at an elite level for a long enough period of time that most people agree their body of work qualifies them for a bust in Canton.

There are certainly others who are on the cusp. Brees anyone? Roethlisberger?

Despite a rough stretch to start the 2015 season, Russ's career is filled with consistent, elite level play. Currently, he is playing at a level that supersedes that of the three active, elite QB's. He is on a faster pace to reach elite status than any other QB in history, but I wouldn't say he is quite elite yet. Keep playing at this level for three more years and there can be no question. Cam is also playing at an elite level this year. Is he elite/ going to be elite? I would say no, but could yet be proven wrong. Manning is clearly not playing at an elite level, but despite the lack of championships, does anyone truly doubt that he will be enshrined?

My attempt to add some degree of objectivity to an entirely subjective argument.

-bsd

Laloosh

Reaction score
austinslater25":1vzcfp9x said:
First take surprisingly killed pettine and praised Wilson calling him elite. They've been slow to the party but have to give him credit here.

Didn't see it but I'd take anything they say (positive or negative) with a grain of salt. I'm pretty sure they'd throw their own mothers under the bus for ratings.

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":zgnb4eyk said:
Not defending Pettine per se, but my criteria for elite is pretty simple and straight forward. The player in question is generally accepted as an inevitable inductee into the hall of fame. By these criteria, there are only three currently active, elite QB's in the league, even though they aren't all currently playing at an elite level. Rodgers, Manning, and Brady. These are the QBs that have played at an elite level for a long enough period of time that most people agree their body of work qualifies them for a bust in Canton.

There are certainly others who are on the cusp. Brees anyone? Roethlisberger?

Despite a rough stretch to start the 2015 season, Russ's career is filled with consistent, elite level play. Currently, he is playing at a level that supersedes that of the three active, elite QB's. He is on a faster pace to reach elite status than any other QB in history, but I wouldn't say he is quite elite yet. Keep playing at this level for three more years and there can be no question. Cam is also playing at an elite level this year. Is he elite/ going to be elite? I would say no, but could yet be proven wrong. Manning is clearly not playing at an elite level, but despite the lack of championships, does anyone truly doubt that he will be enshrined?

My attempt to add some degree of objectivity to an entirely subjective argument.

-bsd
If that's your criteria, Brees has to be elite. Ya, ya, Sean Peyton offensive, but Brees is criminally underrated which I don't completely understand.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Laloosh":jxbhqt9a said:
austinslater25":jxbhqt9a said:

Didn't see it but I'd take anything they say (positive or negative) with a grain of salt. I'm pretty sure they'd throw their own mothers under the bus for ratings.

No idea why anybody would take them seriously let alone watch it.

idahohawk

Reaction score
I'm a big Russ fanboy. But if Russ is truly elite, and what we've seen the last 4 or so games is reality, then Pete/Bevell have failed us the 1st half of the season, and much of last season. Either Russ is elite, and has been suppressed due to Pete's "defense wins" philosophy, or he is turning a corner and Pete is not only forced to ride it, but also trusts him more. But the first half of this season was a total #$%^ sandwich and there has to be some accountability. Was it Kam's holdout? OL failures due to Cable's experimentation, forcing it to another high priced free agent, sharing touches with our 12 Million Dollar RB? Not sure. But we can't have it both ways. Either Russ is just starting to crack into the "Elite" level, or if he's been there, the way he's been utilized has been a total fail.