Mike Pettine: Russell Wilson not quite among top tier of QBs

fan4life

Reaction score
Paraphrasing the guys on NFL Network, "Um, two SBs in his first three years say otherwise, Pettine." They're ripping him up pretty good over his comments, lol.

ETA: Didn't see the previous comment. Don't miss the linked segment!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm not sure why everyone's freaking out, all Pettine said was Russell wasn't quite in that rarified tier with guys like Rodgers and Brady who have played at a high level for longer.

I love Russell, wouldn't trade him for any QB in the league right now, but IMO he still needs another 2-3 years and maybe another SB win before he's in the Brady elite conversation.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1efm2jni said:
He said he's not in the Top 4, but is in that next group.. I think that's fair.

Much ado about nothing.

Agreed. There is nothing wrong with this statement but Johnny Manziel comparison and bringing up things like pocket passer vs running QB just wasn't smart. Russell Wilson is too young to be compared to guys like Brady, Manning, Big Ben, and Johnny Manziel is too young in his career to be compared to Russell Wilson who has already played in two super bowls.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2066ffu4 said:
I'm not sure why everyone's freaking out, all Pettine said was Russell wasn't quite in that rarified tier with guys like Rodgers and Brady who have played at a high level for longer.

I love Russell, wouldn't trade him for any QB in the league right now, but IMO he still needs another 2-3 years and maybe another SB win before he's in the Brady elite conversation.

I think its the timing of the comments that has people laughing (and critiquing) Pettine...

a. Wilson has had a record breaking start to his career.

2. He's playing better football than anyone in the league right now along with Cam

3. Pettine himself is in charge of one of the more laughable QB situations to hit the league in some time.

While his candor may have truth worth long term debate, his timing is poor.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":dqdlko6q said:
Sgt. Largent":dqdlko6q said:

I think its the timing of the comments that has people laughing (and critiquing) Pettine...

2. He's playing better football than anyone in the league right now along with Cam

3. Pettine himself is in charge of one of the more laughable QB situations to hit the league in some time.

All true, but the timing is the timing........the Browns are playing the Hawks this week and a reporter asked him if Wilson was in the top tier of QB's, and all Pettine said was exactly what I just said;

He is playing at a high level and if that continues for several more years then you would be able to talk about him in terms of those guys who have done it for 10-plus years as you just mentioned.

What do you want him to say? "I know I'm an NFL head coach asked this question, but my QB's a bafoon, we stink so I'm in no position to answer that question."

If anything we should admire Pettine for being honest and giving thoughtful interesting statements, instead of what every other coach does "OMG HE'S THE BEST IN THE LEAGUE, I DON'T KNOW HOW WE'RE EVER GOING TO STOP RUSSELL, HE'S AMAZING!" Blowing smoke up reporter's asses giving cliche'd answers.

Cartire

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2bv68fv3 said:
Uncle Si":2bv68fv3 said:
Sgt. Largent":2bv68fv3 said:

All true, but the timing is the timing........the Browns are playing the Hawks this week and a reporter asked him if Wilson was in the top tier of QB's, and all Pettine said was exactly what I just said;

He is playing at a high level and if that continues for several more years then you would be able to talk about him in terms of those guys who have done it for 10-plus years as you just mentioned.

What do you want him to say? "I know I'm an NFL head coach asked this question, but my QB's a bafoon, we stink so I'm in no position to answer that question."

If anything we should admire Pettine for being honest and giving thoughtful interesting statements, instead of what every other coach does "OMG HE'S THE BEST IN THE LEAGUE, I DON'T KNOW HOW WE'RE EVER GOING TO STOP RUSSELL, HE'S AMAZING!" Blowing smoke up reporter's asses giving cliche'd answers.

"He sure is playing like the top tier, isnt he?"

Thats all he had to say. By specifically saying the reporter was wrong, and RW is below them, hes getting involved in a fan debate that he doesnt need too. Its called being a smart coach. Pettine seems to not be one (duh). Theres a reason that PFT, ESPN, NFLN have all picked the "non-story" up.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cartire":3rg11ips said:
Thats all he had to say. By specifically saying the reporter was wrong, and RW is below them, hes getting involved in a fan debate that he doesnt need too. Its called being a smart coach. Pettine seems to not be one (duh). Theres a reason that PFT, ESPN, NFLN have all picked the "non-story" up.

They didn't pick up on it because Pettine's wrong, they picked up on it cause it's awesome click bait........and all you fool's are clicking like crazy running for your someone said something mean about a Seahawk pitchforks like always.

Pettine's not wrong, he's right. Russell's not in that elite category yet.........and that's all he said.

So great next time Pettine will say what you want to hear, Russell's amazing!.........so who really wins here.

ringless

Reaction score
@AndrewSiciliano
Mike Pettine opens up Thursday press conference with a zinger:

"If anybody's interested, I have my updated quarterback rankings."

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3bxk27ug said:
Cartire":3bxk27ug said:

They didn't pick up on it because Pettine's wrong, they picked up on it cause it's awesome click bait........and all you fool's are clicking like crazy running for your someone said something mean about a Seahawk pitchforks like always.

Pettine's not wrong, he's right. Russell's not in that elite category yet.........and that's all he said.

So great next time Pettine will say what you want to hear, Russell's amazing!.........so who really wins here.

Why are you so hostile about it?

And I do think he's wrong. I think RW is an elite QB in this league, top 3-5 on any given week.

you asked why people were making a big deal of it... that's why.. it's the timing of his comments in relation to what RW is doing currently and what he himself is dealing with at his QB position..

if anything it was funny. Foolish would be getting upset about the comment or anyone else's comments about it.

marko358

Reaction score
ringless":3lac232l said:
@AndrewSiciliano
Mike Pettine opens up Thursday press conference with a zinger:

"If anybody's interested, I have my updated quarterback rankings."

Haha. That's awesome.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":12sqmz72 said:
Cartire":12sqmz72 said:

Wilson damn well is a top tier QB, wins games takes the team to two SB in two years. That is a top tier QB. I like the end of the NFL network segment "we know Wilson is a top tier QB and we know Pettine is a bottom tier coach".

pmedic920

Reaction score
Did anybody see the NFLN crew talking about these comments this AM?

Was good comedy. Especially some of the stuff that spawned off the conversation. I loved what Lavar had to say on one of his rants.

viewtopic.php?t=120136#p1782306

The way I look at it is, right, wrong, or indifferent, this isn't the type of stuff a coach should be saying in public, the week leading up to a game.

He gets zero points for style.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TorontoHawk":1iymui56 said:
Sgt. Largent":1iymui56 said:
Cartire":1iymui56 said:

Wilson damn well is a top tier QB, wins games takes the team to two SB in two years. That is a top tier QB. I like the end of the NFL network segment "we know Wilson is a top tier QB and we know Pettine is a bottom tier coach".

Where were all you guys in week 5 when this forum was fire with "Russell's distracted, Ciara ruined Russell, Russell got paid now he stinks, Russell needs to step it up."

Cause that was the majority of posts here. Now all of a sudden he's elite and Pettine's a fool?

Gimme a break.

There's nothing wrong with saying Russell hasn't been playing at a high level long enough to be in the same category as guys like Rodgers and Brady.

Mick063

Reaction score
Before Pettine's comments, this game against Cleveland was sort of MEH.

I hope Pete Carroll is giving Bevel the green light to embarrass the Browns. Run the score up so bad that the press is continuously speculating if Pettine can survive the week.

Polaris

Reaction score
Whether Pettine was right or wrong, what he said and the way he said it was simply tone-deaf and frankly more than a little...frankly stupid. You're a 3-10 team going into perhaps the most hostile stadium in the NFL against a team perhaps playing at the highest level in the NFL, and even if they weren't, their talent completely outclasses your own.

WHY poke the bear? A bland non-answer like, "He's sure playing elite lately isn't he?" would have sufficed and would have quickly been forgotten.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I don't think anyone within the Seahawks organization cares at all... It's fun for us and media, but the players can't be distracted or alter their plans simply to prove a point, regardless of the intent/truth/ignorance of the comment.

Latest posts