Mike MacDonald removes Carroll related Seahawks imprint

Mizak

Reaction score

Mike Macdonald walks fine line stripping Seahawks facilities of Pete Carroll’s imprint​

Pete Carroll led the Seattle Seahawks out of dysfunction and into their golden era, but new head coach Mike Macdonald has removed all memory of the team's greatest moments and players from the team's facilities.

Mike Macdonald removes all signs of Pete Carroll's Seahawks​

Now, all of the rich history that Pete Carroll built with the team has been torn off the walls. The 36-year-old coach has removed most remaining remnants of Carroll's culture and legacy with the team, from a basketball hoop inside the auditorium at Seahawks headquarters to pictures in the hallways.

the very definition of moving on.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
He had to do this. You can't have things everywhere reminding everyone who the last coach was. You have to wipe the slate clean for the new coach. That doesn't mean you don't respect his contributions but he doesn't need to be draped all over the franchise anymore.

sutz

Reaction score
This is being over-played IMO. The fact that they took down a bunch of pictures probably means they're setting up to re-paint or something. Taking down the b-ball hoop, well yeah, that's pulling a Carroll icon, but I'm sure that's just a minor philosophical difference between Pete and Mack, who probably looks at it as a distraction.

They're not going to "erase" some of the golden moments of Seahawks history, no matter who was the coach at the time. There was a good interview with Big Cat Williams in the Times today. He mentions the changes, too, and doesn't disparage the Carroll legacy, while welcoming the "breath of fresh air" a change of regime brings.

I don't see this as some kind of Pharoah-onic destruction of monuments or anything. 🤷‍♂️

olyfan63

Reaction score
Mixed feelings. After McDonald puts his stamp on the Seahawks, hopefully with playoff wins, it would be nice to see a few curated reminders of the team's history, not just Carroll, return to the buildings. That's one thing I really liked about Carroll, was the way he reached out to Seahawks alumni, even from prior regimes. Seahawk fans are fans of the team, the history, the memories, not just the current coaching regime.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I get the premise completely but taking down the photos celebrating the franchise's finest moments seems baby out with the bathwater-ish to me.
I can somewhat rationalize from the standpoint of "you players who are here now haven't done schitt, let's go get some things done, stop basking in OTHERS' past glory" but it feels a bridge too far, especially given that JS, who is still here, was part of all that. Wonder what the conversations were between MM and JS on that. Maybe it was even initiated by JS.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Ya know, at the end of the day I doubt “that bad”.

I view it like, it’s Coach Mike Macdonalds Team.. and if making it feel like it’s truly HIS TEAM, I get that changes need to be made for it to feel as such.

No different than buying a house, you make changes to it, that are your changes and that make it feel like YOURS

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
The 36-year-old coach has removed most remaining remnants of Carroll's culture and legacy with the team

Did the podium remind him of Carroll as well?

Old
Screenshot 20240418 124520 YouTube

New
Screenshot 20240418 124439 YouTube

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
This seems short sighted at best and immature at worst.

You don’t erase a legacy of greatness as way of motivating players. Do you want to give your body and mind to an organization that’s going to forget about you as soon as someone nee comes along? Or would you rather aspire to be one of its heroes that is celebrated forever?

morgulon1

Reaction score
This is being over-played IMO. The fact that they took down a bunch of pictures probably means they're setting up to re-paint or something. Taking down the b-ball hoop, well yeah, that's pulling a Carroll icon, but I'm sure that's just a minor philosophical difference between Pete and Mack, who probably looks at it as a distraction.

They're not going to "erase" some of the golden moments of Seahawks history, no matter who was the coach at the time. There was a good interview with Big Cat Williams in the Times today. He mentions the changes, too, and doesn't disparage the Carroll legacy, while welcoming the "breath of fresh air" a change of regime brings.

I don't see this as some kind of Pharoah-onic destruction of monuments or anything. 🤷‍♂️
I like your Egyptian pharaoh reference

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This is a really bad sign.
You can paint it however you want. But this is the kind of thing you end up seeing a losing coach do.

Great coaches want to cultivate greatness. They milk that tradition, not throttle it.

I am trying to be optimistic. I like this coaching hire. But this ain't great. Insecure coaches do this all the time.
Winners don't do it that often. Many lean the other way.
I am hoping they are exaggerating how much is being stripped out.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Good, remove the basketball hoop, they've looked like a modern NBA defense the last few years.
So thats the defense Pete was teaching! Explains a lot. Way too many times it looked like only 5 players on defense.