Max Unger and 1st for Jimmy Graham and 4th round pick

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
so, lets recap shall we?

we desperately needed a threat in the passing game, a real matchup problem, something we havent had the last decade. and now... FINALLY... we gain an elite player in the passing game, a top 2 TE in the league thats still in his prime in "im jimmy" graham.

...and all we give up for jimmy is unger (who was probably gonna be cut regardless) and have one of our picks move down in the draft from #31 to about #110??

a great trade by any measure. would have made more sense to just sign julius thomas (who still isnt as good as graham) for about 9m/year, but for whatever reason (probably because jimmys cap hit is low this season) that didnt happen.

... and im really not sure what the infatuation about unger is/was. center is one of the less impactful positions in football. he was past his prime, very injury prone, and was overpaid. sure, he was good at getting the oline cues and in their correct assignments, but thats a responsibility for a center anyway. these last 2 years he would just get tossed around in the blocking game. honestly, there is a chance we actually UPGRADE the center position this offseason, we will have to wait and see.

we got better today. be happy! :p

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SiriusXMNFL/status/575425094622703617[/tweet]
Audio Link >>> [urltargetblank]https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmnfl/pete-carroll-jimmy-graham-trade-has-been-in-the-works[/urltargetblank]

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
bbsplitter":1qv76uf9 said:
theincrediblesok":1qv76uf9 said:
We will get another WR in the draft, maybe a few. We have a promising star with Chris Matthews, yeah he got shutdown when Browner was on him, but how many physical CB are there. Matthews will dominate against smaller DBs.

I don't really think he has played enough to say he will for sure "dominate".

Yeah it is a strong word, i'm hoping he turns into a threat. His body positioning to grab the ball is crazy.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I'm still trying to get over my initial shock and trying to process all of this. I would say that this all comes back to something that I mentioned a few weeks back that got absolutely ignored.

When all of the rumors starting swirling around about Seattle's possible interest in going after a top flight TE, it seems like a lot of people blew that off. They were saying that this team doesn't use TE's, that Darrell Bevell doesn't know how to utilize TE's, etc.

People forget though that prior to the 2012 season the Seahawks brought in Kellen Winslow with the idea of pairing him with Zach Miller and creating a dual TE receiving threat. They spent a lot of time prior to that season putting in 2 TE packages with the idea of causing match-up nightmares for opposing offenses. While that plan ultimately did get scrapped when Winslow got released because he failed to restructure his contract, I never forgot that. So, it would appear to me that Pete Carroll and Seattle didn't forget either and very much want to revive that idea.

Whether we're talking about his interest in Kellen Winslow then, Percy Harvin's superior speed in 2013, Chris Matthews superior height in the Super Bowl, or Jimmy Graham here -- Pete Carroll is all about looking to create match-up problems for opposing defenses. In the future when we're looking at offensive players and trying to figure out who Seattle could have their eye on, that's what we should honestly be focused on. Who honestly tilts the room and will provide match-up problems for opposing defenses? (Superior Height, speed, elusiveness, whatever) That's the question.

Looking at the Jimmy Graham move here, I don't expect Luke Willson to be suddenly relegated to the bench and for this to be a solo act by any means. I'd expect them to incorporate a lot of 2 TE packages utilizing Graham, Willson, and Anthony McCoy this year. Should be very interesting indeed.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
WendellWent":22bluve1 said:
Center is least impactful position in the NFL...until you have a bad one.

lmao. u can say that for any position, tackle, qb, dt, cb, safety, rb, wr... even kicker/punter... so thats not saying much. centers inefficiencies can be hidden since they dont have nearly as many 1v1 responsibilities in the blocking game.

if u really want to compare the impact of jimmy graham to max unger, go ahead, ill die laughing.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":3vlelr08 said:
I'm still trying to get over my initial shock and trying to process all of this. I would say that this all comes back to something that I mentioned a few weeks back that got absolutely ignored.

When all of the rumors starting swirling around about Seattle's possible interest in going after a top flight TE, it seems like a lot of people blew that off. They were saying that this team doesn't use TE's, that Darrell Bevell doesn't know how to utilize TE's, etc.

People forget though that prior to the 2012 season the Seahawks brought in Kellen Winslow with the idea of pairing him with Zach Miller and creating a dual TE receiving threat. They spent a lot of time prior to that season putting in 2 TE packages with the idea of causing match-up nightmares for opposing offenses. While that plan ultimately did get scrapped when Winslow got released because he failed to restructure his contract, I never forgot that. So, it would appear to me that Pete Carroll and Seattle didn't forget either and very much want to revive that idea.

Whether we're talking about his interest in Kellen Winslow then, Percy Harvin's superior speed in 2013, Chris Matthews superior height in the Super Bowl, or Jimmy Graham here -- Pete Carroll is all about looking to create match-up problems for opposing defenses. In the future when we're looking at offensive players and trying to figure out who Seattle could have their eye on, that's what we should honestly be focused on. Who honestly tilts the room and will provide match-up problems for opposing defenses? (Superior Height, speed, elusiveness, whatever) That's the question.

Looking at the Jimmy Graham move here, I don't expect Luke Willson to be suddenly relegated to the bench and for this to be a solo act by any means. I'd expect them to incorporate a lot of 2 TE packages utilizing Graham, Willson, and Anthony McCoy this year. Should be very interesting indeed.

Great points and I had forgotten about them wanting to do that.

DJrmb

Reaction score
It's crazy how many people we have on here that are smarter than Pete and John. We should riot until they fire them and put you guys in the front office so we don't trade away our most injury prone players for elite talent!

:sarcasm_off:

Have you guys not heard that Unger was possibly going to be CUT which in that case we would have gotten nothing in return??? Bottom line is Unger did get beat out by a couple of backups. You can't fight for your job from the tub...

The Outfield

Reaction score
Do you think he wants to be here though? After the spat and the fact that he very likely won't get anywhere near the same amount of yards, it makes me wonder.

WendellWent

Reaction score
seatownlowdown":3d8r3klc said:
WendellWent":3d8r3klc said:
Center is least impactful position in the NFL...until you have a bad one.

lmao. u can say that for any position, tackle, qb, dt, cb, safety, rb, wr... even kicker/punter... so thats not saying much. centers inefficiencies can be hidden since they dont have nearly as many 1v1 responsibilities in the blocking game.

if u really want to compare the impact of jimmy graham to max unger, go ahead, ill die laughing.

If you really want to put words in my mouth, go ahead, I'll die laughing.

You undervalue the center position, is all I am saying.

USChawk

Reaction score
I just hope the medical staff looked at his shoulder a lot more carefully then they did with Percy's hip.

Other then that I'm loving the deal.

MarylandHawk

Reaction score
Any one who doubts the astuteness of this trade must have forgotten how terrible we were in the redzone last year.

TXHawk

Reaction score
This is a great trade, in my opinion. Graham is a matchup nightmare for most defenses and gives Wilson the first true red zone threat he's had in Seattle. Graham is also in his prime and is going to be far more productive right out of the gate than anyone they were likely to get late in the first round.

I liked Unger but, frankly, he hasn't been a legit Pro Bowl-caliber center since 2012 which was the last time he was really healthy. People forget how bad he was for much of 2013 because of injuries and he missed most of the regular season in 2014 because of injuries. I think Pete and John know his body is breaking down and he can't be relied on to remain healthy which is why they were willing to let him go.

The OL has been the weakest unit on the team for the past two years and Cable has been able to hold it together with spare parts, glue and duct tape at times, so if they can get a couple of solid interior linemen in FA and the draft and remain reasonably healthy there's a chance it could be improved this year.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":35jwsvm5 said:
But I refuse to apologize for thinking the newly created LG/C hole is going to be easy to overcome just because we have a great red zone threat.

I really like Bailey / Lewis as stopgaps. I'm actually starting to finally feel some excitement for this draft, knowing that Seattle is going to draft a bajillion OL.

I liked that they got out of their Unger problem a year early. Cable isn't perfect, but he does a better job than most at getting passable starts out of mid-late-UDFA players. Between the draft and UDFA they might bring in 4, 5, 6 sparq stars and see who can be the next JR Sweezy.

There is risk / downside sure, but watching Cable and JS turn over rocks is fun for me.

netskier

Reaction score
I love this trade.

Jimmy is nominally a right end, but more accurately is a de facto wide receiver. He went to court last year to argue, albeit unsuccessfully, his position, so that he could be paid the much higher WR franchise tag than the significantly lower TE franchise tag. His argument is that NO actually deployed him as a WR.

We now have the tallest, heaviest, WR in the league, to my knowledge.

I can hardly wait to see the rest of the FO plan play out to fix the offensive line.

Barring too many injuries, I expect us to play Boston in the Superbowl again, and they have only one Browner to cover both Jimmy and Matthews.

This Jimmy signing probably just increased Browners value across the league.

I love this signing.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
WendellWent":3cdiofy8 said:

whaaaaa? how so? are u then saying that pete/john dont value the center postion? because they just traded a former all-pro center that they were probably going to cut anyway.

all i stated was that center is one of the less impactful positions in football. youre going to argue that? because there is nothing to argue, because its true. youre not making any point what so ever. stop trolling kid, get off my nuts.

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
Going to be fun in the red zone, hopefully?

Edit: First video didn't want to play nice, so I'll embed an older one.

[youtube]KxRrhpo1hGM[/youtube]

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Wow and through 8 pgs I did not see our WR/TE expert chime in,maybe he has retired since we have the big/tall WR that he wanted but I don't think he saw this one coming.I like the trade somewhat.I don't believe it hurts the run game,if anything it takes pressure off it and opens it up more.No more 8 men boxes for the beast .If we get lucky and get AJ- there won't be any all out blitzes either.People calling PRich soft?I never saw him play that way and he blocked his ass off on run plays when I watched replays.Jimmy I thought was soft but I'll see what he does for us before saying that anymore.The culture on the Hawks is different than a lot of teams so he might try harder on blocking.

WendellWent

Reaction score
seatownlowdown":1qklspyj said:
WendellWent":1qklspyj said:

whaaaaa? how so? are u then saying that pete/john dont value the center postion? because they just traded a former all-pro center that they were probably going to cut anyway.

all i stated was that center is one of the less impactful positions in football. youre going to argue that? because there is nothing to argue, because its true. youre not making any point what so ever. stop trolling kid, get off my nuts.

Just because Unger was tradable, doesn't mean they don't value the center position.

The center touches the ball on every offensive snap. You can minimize that impact all you want, but you are incorrect.

Latest posts