Marshawn Lynch to hold out of training camp

brimsalabim

Reaction score
If Lynch doesn't come back then The offense will have to run through Russell Wilson. Doug is going to have to earn his paycheck.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
To the people saying things to the effect of "teams don't honor contracts when they cut a player" that is TOTALLY FALSE.

Being able to cut a player is WRITTEN INTO THE CONTRACT.

When players sign their contract they are acknowledging the team's right to cut that player.

When a team cuts a player they ARE "honoring" the contract because they are exercising a right that has been written into the contract and approved by the NFLPA and is part of the CBA.

The contract is the contract. Both sides are allowed to exercise whatever clauses are in the contract that abide by the CBA.

Besides, if you guys argue that teams aren't honoring their contract by cutting players then wouldn't you also have to argue that any player who retires before their current contract runs out is failing to honor their contract? So even if a guy just cant play anymore you expect him to keep playing and for the team to keep paying?

Teams are not required to keep a player for every year that the contract covers, but on the other hand players cannot be forced to play if they don't want to. Players can just walk away from football without performing the duties outlined in the contract.

So please stop pretending it is a 1 way street. It works both ways.

Largent80

Reaction score
In the end Lynch is only hastening Michael to the forefront. This is exactly what he needed to get his shot.

For now, that does mean more opportunities for Michael, though.

"Every rep I get, just try to take as much as I can out of it," Michael said. "Get better on each rep like I mentioned before. Take my time with things. The scheme of things. Learning what the offensive linemen are doing."

Michael appeared in just four games as a rookie, a disappointment considering he was chosen in the second round. He has been singled out repeatedly this offseason as a player who made progress from his first year, though.

"He's just so much more consistent with his assignments, responsibilities," Carroll said. "His readiness is just there. He seems calm, and poised about taking advantage of this opportunity. He looks ready to go."

http://mynorthwest.com/292/2572825/Seah ... camp-opens

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
King Dog":2ivoquxo said:
Tical21":2ivoquxo said:
Doug Baldwin is damn annoying. There, I said it.

Yeah man. Have to agree.
What is it about WRs that they feel the need to shoot their mouths off when they should just zip it.

I love ADB as much as the next fan... but butt out, Doug... it's not your fight.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
I hope Lynch doesn't hold out into the season as it may divide our team.

What's the chances Schneider and PC deals him to a team like the Colts if Lynch shows up but is a malcontent?
And yes, Baldwin ' s bitch personality might just bite our team on the ass. He's proving that he may be as much of a head case as Lynch. I imagine he prefers to play with Luck too at this moment.

BadgerVid

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1c4rqukc said:
pocketprotector":1c4rqukc said:
kidhawk":1c4rqukc said:
The second bit is this $7.5 million figure. Lynch is not making that much money this year. Lynch is set to make $5 million with a roster bonus of $500,000. Our dead money figure is $3 million if we cut him. Next year he is due $5 million with a roster bonus of $2 million, which most expect he'll never see, at least not if Michael pans out how we hope.
4 years/30+ mil, simple math brother.

You do understand all 4 years are not equally split. Right?

Actually, you are correct...they are not equally split.

Since he has received $17M of the $30M in the first 2 years, you could reasonably say he has averaged $8.5M per yr to this point...with the $5.5M for this year, it would bring that DOWN to a $7.5M average (with '15 at $7.5M also...$5.5M salary and $2M roster bonus).

CortezKennedyfan

Reaction score
I would feel much better about this if:

1. I hadn't seen Robert Turbin run the ball.
2. I had seen Christine Michael run the ball (and he was good).

This reminds me of Emmitt Smith in 1993.

Coming off a Superbowl, he held out too (although he was a restricted FA, not under contract like Lynch).

The Cowboys were forced to start the year with rookie Derrick Lassic as their starter and lost their first two games.

After the second loss, Charles Haley blew up in the locker room, screaming “we’re never gonna win with this f***ing rookie!” and throwing his helmet in the vicinity of Jerry Jones, demanding that he sign Emmitt.

Erik Williams criticized Lassic's running style, saying "He runs too fast. We have a flow and he isn't able to see it."

Nate Newton said, "Lassic was a nice kid, but if we expected to get back to the Super Bowl, we needed Emmitt in the lineup."

Michael and Turbin have to win over their teammates, not just the coaches.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Turbin and Michaels are not rookies and no Derrick Lassic. All they need is playing time.
IMO Lynch can benefit from fewer attempts if he is to retain trade value. He can save his best for late in the season and playoffs rather than burning out as ESPN charts are appearing to point out.

Jville

Reaction score
It makes sense to me for Marshawn Lynch to finish his career in Oakland.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
If Lynch is really asking for just a slight bump in pay ($1 million or so), he needs to weigh that demand against this truth: He’ll never be treated better than he has been in Seattle.

His holdout is just an attempt at negotiation right now, and there’s nothing wrong with an employee making a plea for more money. And while the Seahawks can claim that a contract is a contract, and Lynch should honor it, they also can’t deny that, like all NFL teams, they consider it good business to cut players with time left on their contracts. There is no such thing as honoring an NFL contract.

“I hate the ‘but you signed the contract’ argument,” Seahawks wide receiver Doug Baldwin wrote on Twitter on Friday, clearly disgusted with that portion of the Lynch conversation. “Players can’t say that (expletive) when organizations cut them.”

But Lynch also must consider the big picture. He must ponder what’s best for his wallet, now and in the future. He must determine the value of playing for a team that both understands and embraces him. He must decide what the pursuit of a second championship means to him.

http://seattletimes.com/html/jerrybrewe ... 26xml.html

Nice write-up!

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I don't have a problem with Baldwin showing his solidarity with the player. The coach shows solidarity with the org; the players should support one another as fellow workers. Baldwin is probably going to be the future NFLPA head, which should be fun because I doubt he'll take a lot of crap from Goodell and the owners.

Where Baldwin does become tiresome is his Twitter trolling for attention with cryptic rants. That stuff is lame and annoying and the dude should stop acting like he's twelve in those cases.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
my feeling/belief is he will never play another down for our Hawks, thanks for helping us get there and winning IT Marshawn.

See ya

TwilightError

Reaction score
Having a clue of the friendship of these two, I would not be surprised if Marshawn held out just to give Mike Rob a story to broke in order to jump start his after football career in the media... Well, maybe its a bit of a conspiracy theory, but still...

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Marshawn may not be the brightest bulb on the tree, but I think that he can figure out that loosing $30,000 a day is definitely going to cut into his earnings. I agree with John Clayton that this hold out ends by day 7. $200,000 ain't nothing to sneeze at!

Sac

Reaction score
uty3asyz.jpg

yje5a4e8.jpg

HansGruber

Reaction score
And the $200k is just holdout penalty. They can also ask for money back from the signing bonus from what I heard. That's what would sting the worst. Having to pay back some of that huge bonus he got upfront.

HansGruber

Reaction score
And if he really wants a Superbowl bonus like I heard, someone needs to point him to the box score. Broncos shut him down and it was Russell putting up those 27 pts.

Latest posts